What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1st round startup picks, taking a stab at the top 12 (FFPC style) (1 Viewer)

Auction off the draft slots for real money.  Have your franchise fee for the first year be the real money auction price you pay for a slot.
I’ve proposed this format to friends in the last. I have 3 who would absolutely do it. 

The other 9 are proving to be difficult. lol

i proposed a $250 auction budget, with $100 real dollars for FAAB - which also served as the kitty for the 1st year. 

I thought it was a great idea. :)  

This maybe starts a discussion, but for 1.5 PPR for TE, at this point Mark Andrews has to be in the 1st round.  

I wouldn't do it, but I could make an argument to take him over Pitts.

Over Metcalf, AJ Brown, definitely over BARKLEY, lol, maybe over Mixon....

It's probably some bias I've formed from owning him a few years ago, but something just seems off to me with Andrews in terms of being an elite player long-term.  I think this will far and away be his best season ever.  He just gives me those Zach Ertz vibes where it feels like he has this one really outlier season, and then regresses back to just "pretty good" like he was doing before.  I have nothing to base that on, just why I'm not comfortable taking him early, personally.

And FWIW, he'll be back with LJax next year where his numbers were still great but not the crazy great they were with Huntley.  In the 12 games with LJax he was "only" on pace for 85-1050-5 which is still really good, but something with him and Huntley just clicked that wasn't there with Lamar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another reason why a startup should never be draft.   You should be able to get any player you want if you are willing to pay for them.  Auction is the much more fair way to start a dynasty league.  
I’ve been pissing in the wind on this for over a decade. Blows my mind slow auctions for startups haven’t taken over. The software has existed forever to do them easily and with a minimum of extra effort compared to snake.

And FWIW, he'll be back with LJax next year where his numbers were still great but not the crazy great they were with Huntley.  In the 12 games with LJax he was "only" on pace for 85-1050-5 which is still really good, but something clicked with him and Huntley just clicked that wasn't there with Lamar.
I mulled Andrews vs Metcalf for that last spot and what you are saying here pretty much sums up my thoughts especially the way he went from really good to full on blowing up only after Lamar got hurt and otherwise has been in the 14-17PPG range with Lamar. The target load from last year seems very hard to repeat especially when the Ravens gets some RB's healthy. 

If I could not include rookies and had to remove Hall he'd have made my top 12 so I'm not wanting to dog on him but  I got some reservations he's more in the 14-17 PPG range of a player. If Lamar had been his QB all year and during the time he blew up I'm probably moving him into top 7. It's not that Huntley is great of course, but as you say they had it going on with one another in a consistently dominant way we've not see before with Andrews and Lamar.

Andrews had a gigantic game in like maybe week 3 or 4 with Lamar. I agree he really blew up with the backups later but it wasn't out of nowhere.

It was week 5 - 11 for 147 and 2 TDs. 15 targets.

I think sometimes it is a question of mismatches and scheme but Lamar and Andrews definitely have a strong connection and great chemistry. 

I’ve been pissing in the wind on this for over a decade. Blows my mind slow auctions for startups haven’t taken over. The software has existed forever to do them easily and with a minimum of extra effort compared to snake.
Imo it’s the only way to go.

The only thing I don't like about the slow auction is that essentially becomes a non-auction until the end and then it's a snipe fest at the end of the time.  For baseball we created a site that has a random ending to the auction so sniping can't really happen.  The player is on the clock for 24 hours and will go off the board sometime between hour 12 and hour 24.  It's random so you don't know when it will be.  It definitely changes the dynamic a bit because you can't just sit back and jump in at the end because you don't know when the end is.   We also have multiple players on the board at once so there are multiple auctions taking place at once.  It works out really nicely.

As far as any startup it should be an auction.  As HSG stated it really is the only answer.  I wouldn't want to get into a dynasty league as a start up if it wasn't an auction.  I wouldn't want the fate of my franchise tied so much to a random card draw.

I am not a fan of auctions, just not my thing.  I probably wouldnt do one, but I can see the appeal.  Not for me.

Eh, if you want the better draft slot just offer the top pick money to swap all your picks.  

I have always wanted to do an auction startup but I would only do it online with a timer. No slow draft for me. I'll never do that again. One nomination at a time and get it done in an afternoon/evening.

Well my list is certainly going to be an outlier.  For starts I've got to include the second best rb for the next two years, Ekeler, in the list.  Secondly I'm totally out on cmc, his injuries are just too much at this point.  I'm also in on last year's break out stars, give me three more years of Kupp in the first round please.

As far as I plan ahead for dynasty I go by the 2/3/4 model, 2 years for rbs, 3 for wr/te, 4 for qb.  Figure that's as long as you can reasonably expect each position to preform at the same level before there's a large change in value.

Now to the list

J Taylor

J Jefferson

J Chase

K Pitts

A Ekeler

J Williams (drops out if Gordon resigns)

N Harris

C Kupp

D Samuel

Aj Brown

The only thing I don't like about the slow auction is that essentially becomes a non-auction until the end and then it's a snipe fest at the end of the time.  For baseball we created a site that has a random ending to the auction so sniping can't really happen.  The player is on the clock for 24 hours and will go off the board sometime between hour 12 and hour 24.  It's random so you don't know when it will be.  It definitely changes the dynamic a bit because you can't just sit back and jump in at the end because you don't know when the end is.   We also have multiple players on the board at once so there are multiple auctions taking place at once.  It works out really nicely.

As far as any startup it should be an auction.  As HSG stated it really is the only answer.  I wouldn't want to get into a dynasty league as a start up if it wasn't an auction.  I wouldn't want the fate of my franchise tied so much to a random card draw.
I like the random timer idea.

Been many years since I did an auction startup but the sniping wasn’t an issue as much in the ones I used to do as the timer reset after every bid. So no last minute sniping with one minute left for a dollar more, whoever got outbid had time to rebid.

It definitely dragged some players out if you had multiple owners always waiting until the last minute, but usually that settled down after the first batch of players were nominated and started closing out and people realized sniping was pointless. It also helped in that eliminated someone getting sniped and jumping on some other player last minute and driving that price up. 

There certainly were some negatives such as some owners that like to take it upon themselves to be price enforcers have more time to do so, but they always had to weigh getting caught with someone they may not want.

I like the random timer idea.

Been many years since I did an auction startup but the sniping wasn’t an issue as much in the ones I used to do as the timer reset after every bid. So no last minute sniping with one minute left for a dollar more, whoever got outbid had time to rebid.

It definitely dragged some players out if you had multiple owners always waiting until the last minute, but usually that settled down after the first batch of players were nominated and started closing out and people realized sniping was pointless. It also helped in that eliminated someone getting sniped and jumping on some other player last minute and driving that price up. 

There certainly were some negatives such as some owners that like to take it upon themselves to be price enforcers have more time to do so, but they always had to weigh getting caught with someone they may not want.
I guess sniping was the wrong term.  What you described is what I am talking about.  It really doesn't make much sense to have a slow auction when really it just comes down the final 30 seconds of bidding (and the time does go back up).  Might as well just do a standard auction and get it over with.  That was really my point. 

The random timer is a lot better.  The only real problem is when a player goes off really late he usually ends up going for a lot more.  The longer they stay on the board the more people talk themselves into doing $1 more and it keeps bumping up.   The guys that are on a guy that goes off within the first half hour get deals because the player isn't rotting on the vine letting people keep bumping them up.  

I was in a different league (which gave us the idea for the random timer) where you placed a blind bid that included salary, contract length, and no trade clause.  The program crunched the numbers and spit out a "combined value" (CV) of the contract.  If a player was on the board and you bid and your CV wasn't within a certain percentage of the current bid you got frozen out and weren't allowed to re-bid for that guy.  The other options were a "Yellow - 1"  or a "Green - 2".  The Yellow-1 meant you were not the highest but were close.  The one meant you could make one more bid.  For the Green-2 it meant you were in the lead and you had two more bids available.  The 3rd option was "Red-0".  That means you were frozen out.   That was a great system because there really wasn't a ticking up of bids.  You had to come in with a strong bid or you ran the risk of being frozen out and being able to bid anymore on that player.  Unfortunately the rest of the site was terrible and it went out of business but their auction format was awesome.  

Well, remove Tyreek
Speaking of which due to this thread and seeing some people put in their top 12 I made a trade offer the night you started this thread offering Tyreek for 1.1. He countered also asking for Penny to which I was out. At this point I think I'd still say no if Hill is a Jet or Dolphin but would have to think a little harder about it.

Outside of Jefferson & Chase, I don’t see a lot of separation in the WR’s at the back half of round 1 and round 2 now. As you should nearly always do in a serpentine startup; trade back to try to get more than 1

Lamb - can he thrive as the #1?

AJBrown - health & Tanny at QB

Metcalf - QB?

Adams - clear downgrade at QB

Tyreek & Waddle eat into each other now

Kupp - age?

Deebo - can he Stay healthy? QB change?

Diontae - QB?

Evans - Age, how long does Brady keep going?

Diggs - getting up there in Age and Allen didn’t feed him as much in 2021

Godwin - ACL, long term QB?

Higgins - Chase is there

Users who are viewing this thread