What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

20 year old Florida man claims $450 million Mega Millions jackpot (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
Im just glad it wasn't an old coot on their deathbed. And he seems to be pretty smart and level headed. Good for him!

http://www.wtsp.com/mobile/article/news/port-richey-man-20-claims-450m-mega-millions-jackpot/507509121

PORT RICHEY MAN, 20, CLAIMS $450M MEGA MILLIONS JACKPOT

A 20-year-old Port Richey man claimed the $450 million Mega Millions jackpot from Jan. 5, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - After realizing he won $450 million in the Jan. 5 Mega Millions jackpot, the first thing Shane Missler did was to call his brother.

The next day, the 20-year-old from Port Richey told his father over coffee.

Missler claimed the lone winning ticket in the second largest jackpot won by a single ticket, the Florida Lottery announced Friday.  He purchased the winning ticket at a 7-Eleven along Ridge Road with the proceeds of a winning scratch-off ticket.

Moments after the announcement, Missler's Facebook page was quickly filled with congratulations.

“I’m only 20, but I hope to use it to pursue a variety of passions, help my family and do some good for humanity," he said in a statement.

Missler choose to receive a one-time, lump-sum payment of $281 million.

"A believer in the power of a positive mindset, Shane wasn’t really surprised that he had won," the Florida Lottery said. "He said he just had 'a feeling' that he might."

The winning ticket was purchased on Jan. 5 from the 7-Eleven store on Ridge Road in Pasco County

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, so glad someone who can actually enjoy the money (and seems like he'll do some good with it) won.

do you have to publicize your name when you win? if not, why would anybody do that?!
I believe that's a requirement in claiming it.  The lottery folks want to plaster your stupid face all over the place so other people say, "Why can't that be me?  I could do that!!"

I believe that's a requirement in claiming it.  The lottery folks want to plaster your stupid face all over the place so other people say, "Why can't that be me?  I could do that!!"
and they'll come visit your trailer park in 10 years when all you've got left is the bronze Elvis statue and gold-plated toilet paper holder  :kicksrock:  

I know all the stories about lottery winners going broke but how hard is it to just ignore everything and (just about) everybody?  I always here the “Change your name and move” - I don’t get it.  I’d definitely move to a nicer home but I don’t see why I wouldn’t just ignore people the same way I do now.

Could he have incorporated, signed the ticket over as a corporate asset, then had the corporation claim the prize?
Nope. The last person to win a huge jackpot (590 million won by an 84 year old woman in the same county like 5 years ago) did that and she still had to appear at the presser and give her name

Whatever this guy does with the money I hope he doesn’t blow it and buy in an HOA. They will quickly bleed him dry.

instead of a taking a picture holding a giant check, they should just hold a sign that says "Come and murder me!"
It’s not like he will be carrying the money around in cash. Not worth it for some petty theif to try to kill and rob him.

It will happen the same way it always does, some hot young trim will get her hooks in him, pop out a few kids , fall out of love she was never in to begin with and destroy his soul slowly over several years until he hangs himself and she gets the other half.

Its tried and true.

I know all the stories about lottery winners going broke but how hard is it to just ignore everything and (just about) everybody?  I always here the “Change your name and move” - I don’t get it.  I’d definitely move to a nicer home but I don’t see why I wouldn’t just ignore people the same way I do now.
I guess it could get annoying with people pestering you for handouts.  No one comes to my house now and certainly no one asks me for any money.   That would obviously change.  I would dread going to any type of family gathering.

Hard to ignore your closest loved ones who will suddenly feel you can easily spare 50K on a whim..or the loved family member you helped out who feels you could have easily helped out a bit more.
Those would be the most difficult ones. Not the kid who sat next to you in History class in 1998 who is looking for a handout

The kid doesn't stand a chance.

-family is well known hanging out at the 7-11

-works screen repair, likely $11hr

-bought the ticket from winnings from a scratch off

Nothing against the blue collar guys doing screen repair, but if you are making that kind of money and playing scratch off, its not too wise.  Yeah, he looks smart now, but there are more people in his situation not winning than winning.

Good for him though.  I hope he doesn't blow it.

Good for him though.  I hope he doesn't blow it.
How hard would it be to blow 280 million? I mean really?

I knew a guy who received 600k in a settlement once. Between poor choices, eating out every night for a year and several leaches asking for “loans” he was out of everything in about 18 months. 

How hard would it be to blow 280 million? I mean really?

I knew a guy who received 600k in a settlement once. Between poor choices, eating out every night for a year and several leaches asking for “loans” he was out of everything in about 18 months. 
Pretty sure I could blow 280 mil in 18 months if I really wanted to.

do you have to publicize your name when you win? if not, why would anybody do that?!

Also, by having the winner's name made public it can be verified winning ticket didn't magically go to a lotto officials son or something like that.

Pretty sure I could blow 280 mil in 18 months if I really wanted to.
I have no doubt that RnR could but I am talking about mere mortal people.

Outside of just giving it away or making extreme purchase after extreme purchases on purpose it seems like it would be difficult to me.

Nope. The last person to win a huge jackpot (590 million won by an 84 year old woman in the same county like 5 years ago) did that and she still had to appear at the presser and give her name
In all seriousness if I had to do this I'd fly out a Hollywood special effects makeup artist and completely change the way I look.  Then move to New Zealand for a year.

Or, I wonder if you can change your name before claiming, then change it back?

In all seriousness if I had to do this I'd fly out a Hollywood special effects makeup artist and completely change the way I look.  Then move to New Zealand for a year.

If I had that much money, I'd just remake Weekend at Bernies and fake my death where I'm Bernie. 

The lottery doesn’t hold jurisdiction on name changes. You can do that if you want. They wouldn’t even need to know. 

Here's what I'd do. Before claiming the prize, Id start growing a beard and gaining some weight. Ive got a few months before I have to claim the prize...this gives me time to change my look a bit and get all my ducks in a row (LLC, lawyers etc)....then Id hit the black market for a new idenity - name, drivers license, SSN, and birth certificate.. I'm sure it's not difficult if you'e willing to pay, people do it all the time...then, Id wear a disguise to the lottery office to claim the prize (The same disguise I used for the DL pic. It wouldn't have to be great, just enough to not look like me. Change the hair and eye color and wear big dark shades to the lotto office).

So now everyone thinks Brian Smith (who looks nothing like me) won. Then like a year later Id have my LLC transfer everything to my real name on the down low. 

You never know, it could work.

ETA: on second thought, if they find out about the fake identity, they could charge me with fraud and not give me my winnings. So maybe not such a great idea. I gotta stop posting after smoking weed 

Here's what I'd do. Before claiming the prize, Id hit the black market for a new idenity - name, drivers license, SSN, and birth certificate.. I'm sure it's not difficult if you'e willing to pay, people do it all the time...then, Id wear a disguise to the lottery office to claim the prize (The same disguise I used for the DL pic. It wouldn't have to be great, just enough to not look like me. Change the hair and eye color, and grow a beard. Id also wear big dark shades to the lotto office. 

So now everyone thinks Brian Smith (who looks nothing like me) won. Then like a year later Id have my LLC transfer everything to my real name on the down low. 

You never know, it could work.
When the check clears why not just hop the first plane to Fiji and buy an island? If you have the cash you can get citizenship almost anywhere very quickly.

With that kind of dough it’s not hard to hide. There are broke people in hiding.

When the check clears why not just hop the first plane to Fiji and buy an island? If you have the cash you can get citizenship almost anywhere very quickly.

With that kind of dough it’s not hard to hide. There are broke people in hiding.
Because I don't wanna have to hide or move to Fiji?

Users who are viewing this thread