What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 NFL Draft Talk (1 Viewer)

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™
Staff member
2006 NFL Draft Talk

Part I: Running Backs

Interested in starting up some discussion on who some of the top players will be in this year's draft class.

Feel free to share any information, opinions, scouting reports, etc. on players who you think will be available during the NFL draft in April. This would also be a good place to ask questions about players who you might be having trouble finding good information on.

This obviously will help dynasty owners begin to prepare for the offseason and upcoming rookie drafts, but will also help to improve our overall knowledge and awareness of the incoming talent pool.

Links to all draft threads: QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, DB

Last edited by a moderator:
im going to go out on a limb and say... reggie bush will be the #1 pick in 99% of 2nd year or higher dynasty drafts.honestly, this rb class looks quite strong with bush, williams, maroney, white and a host of others coming behind them.it really depends on the situation they find themselves in and who they play behind.

DonTrell Moore will be a great value for whoever takes him.This guy has as much talent as any of the top-rated backs, but won't go as high in the draft due to his injury concerns, and due to the fact that he played for a school that the media and people across the nation don't get to see very often.DonTrell = S.O.D!

DonTrell Moore will be a great value for whoever takes him.

This guy has as much talent as any of the top-rated backs, but won't go as high in the draft due to his injury concerns, and due to the fact that he played for a school that the media and people across the nation don't get to see very often.

DonTrell = S.O.D!
Speaking of the "top-rated backs", who are they and where are they expected to go at? Who else is being talked about going in the first round besides Reggie Bush? Some of us don't start paying attention to college football until this time of year and so far Bush is the only RB I've heard anything about...

Among seniors, DeAngelo Williams is the class of the bunch and will almost assuredly be the 2nd back off the board [behind Bush, of course].

Opinions vary as to how to slot the rest of the senior class, and there will likely be some significant jockeying during the Senior Bowl, Combine, Pro Day period.

Names to remember:

Joe Addai, LSU -- Addai played a part-time role at LSU due to their depth and some injury issues, but when healthy and given the opportunity, he brought all the qualities of a feature back. At 5'11", 210 lbs, he's got good size, runs with strong leverage and is a between-the-tackles runner.

Jerome Harrison, Washington State -- Highly productive despite defenses keying on him, Harrison will have to battle against his size [5'9", sub 200 lbs.] to convince GMs that he can be an every down back at the next level.It will be interesting to see how a trio of senior runners: Wali Lundy [uVA], Gerald Riggs Jr. [Tennessee], and Leon Washington [FSU] grade out. All three were considered potential top prospects in times past, but fell out of favor to a degree thanks in no small part to substandard final years.

DonTrell Moore will be a great value for whoever takes him.

This guy has as much talent as any of the top-rated backs, but won't go as high in the draft due to his injury concerns, and due to the fact that he played for a school that the media and people across the nation don't get to see very often.

DonTrell = S.O.D!
Speaking of the "top-rated backs", who are they and where are they expected to go at? Who else is being talked about going in the first round besides Reggie Bush? Some of us don't start paying attention to college football until this time of year and so far Bush is the only RB I've heard anything about...
Top TierReggie Bush, USC

Laurence Maroney, Minnesota

DeAngelo Williams, Memphis

Above Average

LenDale White , USC

Michael Bush, Louisville

Worth A Gamble

DonTrell Moore, New Mexico

One of my favorite "no-name" backs is P.J. Daniels of GA Tech. Good size/strength, with good explosion and agility. Picks up blocks w/ his anvil of a head :wall: and has the vision to find the cutback lane combined w/ the effort to gain the extra 2-3 yards at the end of the run. Nothing flashy, but I see him as the unknown L.White.

Expect a Brian Calhoun decision soon. I think he made himself some money with the outstanding bowl perormance. It'll be interesting to see if he comes out.Terrific all around player, only the second in NCAA history to record 1500 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards in one season. Fast, doesn't take the big hit, can make guys miss, great hands.

Expect a Brian Calhoun decision soon. I think he made himself some money with the outstanding bowl perormance. It'll be interesting to see if he comes out.

Terrific all around player, only the second in NCAA history to record 1500 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards in one season. Fast, doesn't take the big hit, can make guys miss, great hands.
Calhoun has had some big games this year, and I'm surprised he has not gathered more attention.Maybe people see him as another Michael Bennet :X ???

Expect a Brian Calhoun decision soon. I think he made himself some money with the outstanding bowl perormance. It'll be interesting to see if he comes out.

Terrific all around player, only the second in NCAA history to record 1500 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards in one season. Fast, doesn't take the big hit, can make guys miss, great hands.
Calhoun has had some big games this year, and I'm surprised he has not gathered more attention.Maybe people see him as another Michael Bennet :X ???
From what I gather, most people viewed him as just another product of the Wisconsin system. But truthfully, the system changed this year when OC Paul Chryst came on board. This is a pro style offense now, and Calhoun proved he could function well in it, as the receiving numbers indicate. Alveraz called him the best back he's coached, and the list includes Brent Moss, Terrell Fletcher, Michael Bennett and Ron Dayne. He said Calhoun is better than all of them. I agree.Calhoun's all around game is terrific.

From what I gather, most people viewed him as just another product of the Wisconsin system. But truthfully, the system changed this year when OC Paul Chryst came on board. This is a pro style offense now, and Calhoun proved he could function well in it, as the receiving numbers indicate. Alveraz called him the best back he's coached, and the list includes Brent Moss, Terrell Fletcher, Michael Bennett and Ron Dayne. He said Calhoun is better than all of them. I agree.Calhoun's all around game is terrific.
So why has he received little press? Is the Reggie Bush/DeAngleo Williams spotlight that big?? Does he lack any attributes that scouts are looking for? Does he have off-the-field issues? I'm curious to know why we have not heard more of this player???

I see him as another Tiki Barber.

A lot of the most important names have been covered. Ill be posting a lot more in depth profiles of these guys as i get deeper in my research. I see a lot of debate between ranking Williams, White, Maroney, and even Calhoun if he comes out. Harrison and Michael Bush could also experience big leaps in speculative dynasty value if they land on a team without an established starting RB.I agree that DonTrell Moore will be underrated by the masses and will be looking to land him in every dynasty league im in. The kid was playing very productive football only 9 months after tearing his ACL and his draft grade will be based on workouts within that 2 year recovery window, so he's going to be a steal for someone.Some other interesting sleepers:Terrance Whitehead, Oregon - A rugged dual purpose back who should be an excellent FB/H-back (see players such as Verron Haynes) and could surprise if given a chance to be a feature back.Cedric Humes, Virginia Tech - A true between the tackles pounder who has never played up to his measureables.Taurean Henderson, Texas Tech - Played in a gimmicky spread offense, but has amazing receiving skills for an RB and we're really yet to see what he can do in a meat and potatoes running game.Garrett Wolfe, NIU - Still undecided about coming out, one site says he'll come out if he gets a 5th round grade - and he should. He's basically this year's Darren Sproles, an ultra productive back that is considered too small to be an everydown back in the NFL, but will still be a very useful player.

So why has he received little press? Is the Reggie Bush/DeAngleo Williams spotlight that big?? Does he lack any attributes that scouts are looking for? Does he have off-the-field issues?

I'm curious to know why we have not heard more of this player???
Yes, but mostly Bush. He was selected as a 2nd Team All-American, with Deangelo, so he is known. He had to sit out last year, because of transferring from Colorado (I think that is where he came from) so maybe that is why he doesn't get much publicity.

So why has he received little press?  Is the Reggie Bush/DeAngleo Williams spotlight that big??  Does he lack any attributes that scouts are looking for?  Does he have off-the-field issues? 

I'm curious to know why we have not heard more of this player???
Yes, but mostly Bush. He was selected as a 2nd Team All-American, with Deangelo, so he is known. He had to sit out last year, because of transferring from Colorado (I think that is where he came from) so maybe that is why he doesn't get much publicity.
This is a good question. If you looked at most pre-season draft lists, Calhoun was nowhere to be found. Take a look at Calhoun's Freshman stats at Colorado. Not too shabby, and he a much smaller player then. However, his transfer received little fanfare outside of Wisconsin. He then sat out a year. Heading into this season, most national type websites were still listing Booker Stanley as the starting Wisconsin running back, so that tells you they just weren't paying attention. During the spring and summer, Alveraz and the Badger staff raved about Calhoun, but again, no one nationally took notice. It wasn't until he started putting up big numbers that people starting paying attention, and the Bowl proved that his season wasn't a fluke.To answer your questions:

1. In this draft, it seems to be Bush and everyone else.

2. The only one I can think of is size, but then again, that doesn't seem to hurt Bush does it?

3. He has no off field issues.

Bottom line, his Freshman season at Colorado was overlooked, his tranfer didn't receive any press outside of Wisconsin, he was overlooked after sitting out a year, and no one paid attention when Alveraz mentioned Calhoun would do big things this season. However, he is the real deal.

I rank the backs this way at this point:1. Bush- It will be tough for Bush to live up to all the hype, but he does look the part of the next Tomlinson. Barring an injury or disaster at the combine, he'll go #1.

2. D. Williams -His size may be a slight concern, but he has been so consistant and dominant in the last three years of rushing that it's hard not to take notice. If he can bulk up a bit and run a good 40, he could land in a fantastic situation (say Green Bay) and be an attractive alternative to Bush.

3. L. White-When teams like the U of Texas are still lamenting that they didn't get this guy to play for them in college, you know that he's good. His stats are deflated because he played with Reggie. He's a rough, between the tackles guy who can create yards after the 1st hit. I see him as a Cedric Benson-type of back who may have even more power and moves. Can't wait to see his 40 time.

4. Calhoun-Saw him only once but like what I hear about his talent and all around game. If his speed is above Moroney's in the combine, I actually think he bumps above him. NFL teams love these all-around backs.

5. Moroney- kind of levelled off as the year went on. You gotta remember that much of Moroney's yards came against MN's weak, non-conference schedule and early conference schedule. As defenses keyed on him (especially Penn State), Moroney wasn't able to open up his own holes.

Then you have the next tier of guys who ran like crazy in college but have other concers (injury, size, NFL potential). Some of those guys could really raise some eyebrows, but I like this top 5 group quite a lot.

-Moore

-Addai

-Harrison

I'm going to come at this from a Steeler fan's perspective...I don't think LenDale White makes it past wherever Pittsburgh picks. Martin Nance, WR, will be a tantalizing option, but White is absolutely tailor-made for the Pittsburgh offense. With Willie Parker better suited to be a 15 carry per game back (he could fit into the Reggie Bush role alongside White very nicely) - the Steelers could have a devastating ground game with Parker getting 12-15 carries per game and White getting 18-20 between the tackles.I've seen a few mocks projecting Maroney to Pittsburgh, but I just don't see it. He's an excellent back, but he's smaller than Parker and not as fast - I don't see what would be gained by spending a first round pick on him. If the Steelers go OL, DB, DL, or WR in round 1, they may be looking to see if Michael Bush is still available to them in round 2. They're going to need a big back to replace the likely to depart Bettis and Staley.

im going to go out on a limb and say... reggie bush will be the #1 pick in 99% of 2nd year or higher dynasty drafts.

honestly, this rb class looks quite strong with bush, williams, maroney, white and a host of others coming behind them.

it really depends on the situation they find themselves in and who they play behind.
I wonder how much this will change if Bush goes to HOU (where they seem to have a pretty full stable of backs) and WIlliams goes to a team like GB who has no one coming back?It worked out that I have the first two picks in our rookie draft this year but if I had just the #1 who would I take and why?

Tom

I think the Texans are going to trade down to #4 before all is said and done - the Jets will give up 1st and 3rd round picks this year (they're likely to get an additional 3rd as compensation for Herm Edwards defecting to KC) and next year's #1 to get Bush. Houston will draft D'Brickshaw Ferguson at #4.

I'm going to come at this from a Steeler fan's perspective...

I don't think LenDale White makes it past wherever Pittsburgh picks. Martin Nance, WR, will be a tantalizing option, but White is absolutely tailor-made for the Pittsburgh offense. With Willie Parker better suited to be a 15 carry per game back (he could fit into the Reggie Bush role alongside White very nicely) - the Steelers could have a devastating ground game with Parker getting 12-15 carries per game and White getting 18-20 between the tackles.

I've seen a few mocks projecting Maroney to Pittsburgh, but I just don't see it. He's an excellent back, but he's smaller than Parker and not as fast - I don't see what would be gained by spending a first round pick on him. If the Steelers go OL, DB, DL, or WR in round 1, they may be looking to see if Michael Bush is still available to them in round 2. They're going to need a big back to replace the likely to depart Bettis and Staley.
If White lands in Pittsburgh, I automatically put him at #2 in my rookie rankings. There is not a better fit between the style of running game and style of RB in this draft. Maroney could still work for us if he bulks up a bit. Cedric Humes could be an interesting guy later on.

I think the Texans are going to trade down to #4 before all is said and done - the Jets will give up 1st and 3rd round picks this year (they're likely to get an additional 3rd as compensation for Herm Edwards defecting to KC) and next year's #1 to get Bush. Houston will draft D'Brickshaw Ferguson at #4.
Tennessee might have something to say about that. I see them as very likely to take the top rated OT on the board - although Vince Young could really mix up the rest of the top 5 after bush and leinart if he comes out.

I am hoping Lendale White makes it to Pittsburgh's pick. With Staley being injuried and the Bus probably retiring he is the perfect kind of back for us. Veron Haynes is not a good 2nd back behind Parker. I like the thought of White and Parker splitting carries. I will be stoked if he makes it too Pittsburgh's pick and Cowher picks him

5. Moroney- kind of levelled off as the year went on. You gotta remember that much of Moroney's yards came against MN's weak, non-conference schedule and early conference schedule. As defenses keyed on him (especially Penn State), Moroney wasn't able to open up his own holes.
Part of Maroney's problem with leveling off was due to overuse by his moron coach, Glen Mason, in the middle of the year.Check out his carries per game totals:

15 (This week and next he was nursing a sore ankle)

That's ridiculous.

A mid-round guy I LOVE:Jerious Norwood from Mississippi State.The guy has speed to burn -- Would be a great sweep runner if used properly in the NFL. Pretty decent pass catcher out of the backfield. The knock on him is whether or not he can be an everydown NFL starting RB. But if he were available in the 4th round or so, I'd love for the Pats to snag him.

One of my favorite "no-name" backs is P.J. Daniels of GA Tech. Good size/strength, with good explosion and agility. Picks up blocks w/ his anvil of a head :wall: and has the vision to find the cutback lane combined w/ the effort to gain the extra 2-3 yards at the end of the run. Nothing flashy, but I see him as the unknown L.White.
:goodposting:

I just do not see that being enough for Houston to hand the #1 pick over. Houston already has four of the top seventy picks and can fill some needs with those and FAs, while drafting #1. The "Bush Hype" is crazy in Houston right now. I just can not see the Texans taking the PR hit of trading the Bush pick away. That is unless it is a large overpayment.

I don't think LenDale White makes it past wherever Pittsburgh picks.  Martin Nance, WR, will be a tantalizing option, but White is absolutely tailor-made for the Pittsburgh offense.  With Willie Parker better suited to be a 15 carry per game back (he could fit into the Reggie Bush role alongside White very nicely) - the Steelers could have a devastating ground game with Parker getting 12-15 carries per game and White getting 18-20 between the tackles.

I've seen a few mocks projecting Maroney to Pittsburgh, but I just don't see it.  He's an excellent back, but he's smaller than Parker and not as fast - I don't see what would be gained by spending a first round pick on him.  If the Steelers go OL, DB, DL, or WR in round 1, they may be looking to see if Michael Bush is still available to them in round 2.  They're going to need a big back to replace the likely to depart Bettis and Staley.
If White lands in Pittsburgh, I automatically put him at #2 in my rookie rankings. There is not a better fit between the style of running game and style of RB in this draft. Maroney could still work for us if he bulks up a bit. Cedric Humes could be an interesting guy later on.
actually, i was thinking dontrell COULD be a nice sneak for the steelers at 5 or 6

I don't think LenDale White makes it past wherever Pittsburgh picks.  Martin Nance, WR, will be a tantalizing option, but White is absolutely tailor-made for the Pittsburgh offense.  With Willie Parker better suited to be a 15 carry per game back (he could fit into the Reggie Bush role alongside White very nicely) - the Steelers could have a devastating ground game with Parker getting 12-15 carries per game and White getting 18-20 between the tackles.

I've seen a few mocks projecting Maroney to Pittsburgh, but I just don't see it.  He's an excellent back, but he's smaller than Parker and not as fast - I don't see what would be gained by spending a first round pick on him.  If the Steelers go OL, DB, DL, or WR in round 1, they may be looking to see if Michael Bush is still available to them in round 2.  They're going to need a big back to replace the likely to depart Bettis and Staley.
actually, i was thinking dontrell COULD be a nice sneak for the steelers at 5 or 6
As much as I like dontrell, that has Zereoue part II written all over it.

I think the Texans are going to trade down to #4 before all is said and done - the Jets will give up 1st and 3rd round picks this year (they're likely to get an additional 3rd as compensation for Herm Edwards defecting to KC) and next year's #1 to get Bush.  Houston will draft D'Brickshaw Ferguson at #4.
Tennessee might have something to say about that. I see them as very likely to take the top rated OT on the board - although Vince Young could really mix up the rest of the top 5 after bush and leinart if he comes out.
That's what I am projecting at the moment. Young comes out and Tennessee takes him at #3. If Young stays at Texas as he has said he will, then I will alter my thinking.

I think the Texans are going to trade down to #4 before all is said and done - the Jets will give up 1st and 3rd round picks this year (they're likely to get an additional 3rd as compensation for Herm Edwards defecting to KC) and next year's #1 to get Bush.  Houston will draft D'Brickshaw Ferguson at #4.
That's what I am projecting at the moment. Young comes out and Tennessee takes him at #3. If Young stays at Texas as he has said he will, then I will alter my thinking.
Wood just posted Pasquarelli's latest article that says Young is leaning towards staying.

I just do not see that being enough for Houston to hand the #1 pick over. Houston already has four of the top seventy picks and can fill some needs with those and FAs, while drafting #1. The "Bush Hype" is crazy in Houston right now. I just can not see the Texans taking the PR hit of trading the Bush pick away. That is unless it is a large overpayment.
You may be right, but if I were the Texans and I could get first and third rounders from the Jets (say #4 and #70) as well as what will likely be a top 10-12 pick next year, I'd do it. As talented as Bush is, at his size, it's no lock that he'll be a transcendant talent in the NFL, where defenses are a lot faster. They already have a capable and young RB in Domanick Davis - they need so much help in other spots that accumulating as many draft picks as they can makes sense to me, rather than paying Bush $50 million dollars and hoping for the best.

*Reggie Bush, 5-11, 200, Southern California*LenDale White, 6-2, 225, Southern CaliforniaDeAngelo Williams, 5-10, 205, Memphis *Laurence Maroney, 5-11, 200, Minnesota*Michael Bush, 6-3, 250, LouisvilleJerome Harrison, 5-9, 195, Washington StateGerald Riggs, 6-0, 220, TennesseeP.J. Daniels, 5-10, 210, Georgia TechDonTrell Moore, 5-11, 215, New MexicoAndre Hall, 5-10, 210, South FloridaWali Lundy, 5-10, 215, VirginiaTerrence Whitehead, 5-10, 220, OregonPatrick Cobbs, 5-9, 205, North Texas*Maurice Drew, 5-8, 200, UCLA

Wood just posted Pasquarelli's latest article that says Young is leaning towards staying.
He's been saying that all along. A lot may hinge on tonight - if Texas wins and Young looks impressive, I think he declares. If they get rolled up, he may stick around for another shot at the title and a possible #1 overall selection in 2007. If that's the case, I don't know that the Texans trade down to #4, fearing Ferguson will be snapped up by Tennessee.

He's been saying that all along. A lot may hinge on tonight - if Texas wins and Young looks impressive, I think he declares. If they get rolled up, he may stick around for another shot at the title and a possible #1 overall selection in 2007. If that's the case, I don't know that the Texans trade down to #4, fearing Ferguson will be snapped up by Tennessee.
:yes: I think that's a fair assessment. If Young is the star playmaker in a UT victory over USC tonight, it would be tough for him to NOT be considered a top 10 QB prospect. Let's remember, Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt is now being billed by the draftniks [Kiper, McShay, NFL Draft Scout] as a top 12 overall prospect and Vince Young DEFINITELY should and would go ahead of Cutler.

:yes: I think that's a fair assessment. If Young is the star playmaker in a UT victory over USC tonight, it would be tough for him to NOT be considered a top 10 QB prospect. Let's remember, Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt is now being billed by the draftniks [Kiper, McShay, NFL Draft Scout] as a top 12 overall prospect and Vince Young DEFINITELY should and would go ahead of Cutler.
No question. I have heard a number of NFL "experts" over the past few days say they'd take Young over Leinart. Teams are going to be fascinated by his size, speed and arm strength and see a faster, more athletic Daunte Culpepper. Leinart will fail to wow anyone with extremely pedestrian combine numbers and you'll see the gap between Leinart and Young close rapidly (not saying this is what SHOULD happen, but rather what likely WILL.) If Young declares, I cannot see him getting past the #3 spot.

I don't think LenDale White makes it past wherever Pittsburgh picks. Martin Nance, WR, will be a tantalizing option, but White is absolutely tailor-made for the Pittsburgh offense. With Willie Parker better suited to be a 15 carry per game back (he could fit into the Reggie Bush role alongside White very nicely) - the Steelers could have a devastating ground game with Parker getting 12-15 carries per game and White getting 18-20 between the tackles.

I've seen a few mocks projecting Maroney to Pittsburgh, but I just don't see it. He's an excellent back, but he's smaller than Parker and not as fast - I don't see what would be gained by spending a first round pick on him. If the Steelers go OL, DB, DL, or WR in round 1, they may be looking to see if Michael Bush is still available to them in round 2. They're going to need a big back to replace the likely to depart Bettis and Staley.
I think the Vikings grab White before he drops to the Steelers. If Culpepper gets traded for someone other than a RB, the Vikes will spend a second on a QB and use their 1st on a top notch RB. The Vikes will lose Bennet this offseason, get Ontarrio back (but wont trust him and shouldn't), and then use Moore as the finesse back (a poor man's Reggie Bush). That allows White to pound it up the middle 20 times a game. The wild card is Ciatric Fason, who has shown flashes of being a decent power back but he is just way too small and doesn't have the moves or speed he needs.

If you ask me, there is no way that a guy like White makes it past Minnesota on the draft board, IMO, especially if the new head coach wants to pound the ball.

get Ontarrio back (but wont trust him and shouldn't),
Do you think there's any way that Wilf, the guy who fired his head coach more for character reasons than won-loss record, would invite Onterrio back on the squad?I highly doubt it.

It looks like Maroney will end up being a very nice value pick for an NFL team, considering he might slide because of the strength of this RB class.I am impressed every time I watch him, does he remind anyone else of Edgerrin James? His lateral movement is excellent, he waits for the hole and then has good burst to hit it hard. He also finishes his runs with excellent leg drive, always fighting for the extra yard. I'm not exactly sure where to rank him since I haven't seen most other RB's as much, but from what I've read he might go as the 4th or 5th RB off the board, which might make him a late 1st/early 2nd. He will succeed at the pro level.

I think the Vikings grab White before he drops to the Steelers. If Culpepper gets traded for someone other than a RB, the Vikes will spend a second on a QB and use their 1st on a top notch RB. The Vikes will lose Bennet this offseason, get Ontarrio back (but wont trust him and shouldn't), and then use Moore as the finesse back (a poor man's Reggie Bush). That allows White to pound it up the middle 20 times a game. The wild card is Ciatric Fason, who has shown flashes of being a decent power back but he is just way too small and doesn't have the moves or speed he needs.

If you ask me, there is no way that a guy like White makes it past Minnesota on the draft board, IMO, especially if the new head coach wants to pound the ball.
Most evaluators I have seen rank Maroney ahead of White. He probably is a better back for a lot of teams, but White has the prototypical size (6' 2" 235) that Pittsburgh looks for in a 1st/2nd down back. If the Vikings do prefer White and draft him prior to the Steelers taking him, I think you might see Pittsburgh go either OL, LB, or DE if the value is there, or more likely take a WR like Martin Nance.

It looks like Maroney will end up being a very nice value pick for an NFL team, considering he might slide because of the strength of this RB class.

I am impressed every time I watch him, does he remind anyone else of Edgerrin James? His lateral movement is excellent, he waits for the hole and then has good burst to hit it hard. He also finishes his runs with excellent leg drive, always fighting for the extra yard.

I'm not exactly sure where to rank him since I haven't seen most other RB's as much, but from what I've read he might go as the 4th or 5th RB off the board, which might make him a late 1st/early 2nd. He will succeed at the pro level.
Nice points. I think he is alot faster than Edge (at least now) but he does do a lot of things well (like Edge) including catch the ball.

this is exactly what i think will happen.so its almost assured that it wont.

this is exactly what i think will happen.so its almost assured that it wont.
You know, the more I look at the Jets' salary cap situation, the more I don't believe they can afford to pay Bush if they move up and also sign Abraham to a long-term deal.Maybe the Jets offer Abraham, the #4 pick and a future #1 for Bush. I don't see how the Texans turn that down.

It looks like Maroney will end up being a very nice value pick for an NFL team, considering he might slide because of the strength of this RB class.

I am impressed every time I watch him, does he remind anyone else of Edgerrin James? His lateral movement is excellent, he waits for the hole and then has good burst to hit it hard. He also finishes his runs with excellent leg drive, always fighting for the extra yard.

I'm not exactly sure where to rank him since I haven't seen most other RB's as much, but from what I've read he might go as the 4th or 5th RB off the board, which might make him a late 1st/early 2nd. He will succeed at the pro level.
Nice points. I think he is alot faster than Edge (at least now) but he does do a lot of things well (like Edge) including catch the ball.
I'm not saying Maroney can't catch, but he's far from a proven receiver with just 15 catches for 150 yards in 10 games. In fact, I think you'll see draft prognasticators call Maroney's receiving a weakness because he did drop a few screens and other RBs have proven an ability to catch for 250-500 yards.

A mid-round guy I LOVE:

Jerious Norwood from Mississippi State.

The guy has speed to burn -- Would be a great sweep runner if used properly in the NFL. Pretty decent pass catcher out of the backfield. The knock on him is whether or not he can be an everydown NFL starting RB. But if he were available in the 4th round or so, I'd love for the Pats to snag him.
:thumbup: I really like him too. He is an all around talent with decent size, power, and excellent speed. He also is a candidate to beef up a good 10-15 pounds in the next couple of years. I'm surprised by all the DonTrell Moore love here. He did little for me the two times I saw him play, and I would rank him a full tier below (my 2nd tier) Maroney, Addai, Norwood, Harrison, and a couple others who may or may not declare. First tier is Bush, Williams, White. Third tier is Whitehead, Moore, Riggs, Hall, Humes, Lundy, and a couple others.

Someone said Maroney reminded him of Edge. Norwood reminds me of Edge as far as being complete, but he does need to get stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread