What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2009 Anarchy League 2 Thread (5 Viewers)

Sinrman said:
Just Win Baby said:
My first (of many, probably) tactical error... at 2.14 I took White, hoping Olsen or Cooley would come back to me at 3.3... and if not, my fallback was Bowe... and of course they were all gone. Should have gone TE at 2.14. :popcorn:
Having been burned by taking a TE in the first or second round before in this (I think two years now), I decided to hold off. The points are excellent for a TE (2 pt/reception), but even the best are a bit hit-or-miss. Of all the positions, TE is the most inconsistent. Too many 0-5 point days for my liking...
Uh, consistency doesn't matter at all in this format. Gonzo was the #1 non-QB by a long way last year.

Just Win Baby said:
Great values in Steve Smith and Calvin Johnson so far IMO.
Calvin Johnson was #2 on my pre-draft when I got Tomlinson.But I'm very glad not to have chosen a Detroit player in the first round.

Oh Jesus...just saw the draft...you fellas passing around the wacky tobaccy in this draft???

Witten at #2, Gonzo at #11...TEs aren't worth that much more, Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:
There It IsPlayer YTD Pts Bye Drafted

Eagles, Philadelphia PHI TMQB - 4 3.02

Cooley, Chris WAS TE - 8 2.15

Witten, Jason DAL TE - 6 1.02

interesting strategy here. no wrs or rbs through the first 3 rounds

Oh Jesus...just saw the draft...you fellas passing around the wacky tobaccy in this draft???Witten at #2, Gonzo at #11...TEs aren't worth that much more, Jesus.
You are aware that the number of points players score relative to their peers is what determines their value, right?

Oh Jesus...just saw the draft...you fellas passing around the wacky tobaccy in this draft???Witten at #2, Gonzo at #11...TEs aren't worth that much more, Jesus.
You are aware that the number of points players score relative to their peers is what determines their value, right?
you are aware that is an overly simplistic, and incorrect method of evaluating a positions worth, right?

Bad schtick or :thumbup:
I was sure you'd be "all over" the two QB picks, surprisingly quiet
Meh, definitely not strong picks but not horrible either...not as bad as the TE picks.
This will be my 4th year in Anarchy.2006 - drafted under normal methods (favor RB/WR) - 16th2007 & 2008 - started TE/WR/TE out of the gate - 1st and 3rdThere were some great posts discussing strategy in this style in the 08 Anarchy 2 thread. as always injuries and choices make a difference, but if you treat this like a normal draft, you'll be in for a surprise. BTW what's your record the last couple years? :popcorn:

BTW what's your record the last couple years? :goodposting:
Over the last four or five years(since the beginning) I have very close to the highest average finish.You were fortunate to finish near the top going TE/WR/TE...that tells me you are up against weak drafters allowing value to slide at positions it shouldn't be....and oh BTW, I have never finished anywhere near the bottom in this league.

Bad schtick or :moneybag:
Meh, definitely not strong picks but not horrible either...not as bad as the TE picks.
This will be my 4th year in Anarchy.2006 - drafted under normal methods (favor RB/WR) - 16th2007 & 2008 - started TE/WR/TE out of the gate - 1st and 3rdThere were some great posts discussing strategy in this style in the 08 Anarchy 2 thread. as always injuries and choices make a difference, but if you treat this like a normal draft, you'll be in for a surprise. BTW what's your record the last couple years? :wub:
I dont think it matters what route you go. The key is to hit on talent all the way through the draft. You want everyone contributing all year long. Sounds like common sense I guess my point is I dont think theres any one strategy that works better than others.I won the league in 07 with mcmike and olsen (rook yr) and I placed 4th last year with boss and royal

You were fortunate to finish near the top going TE/WR/TE...that tells me you are up against weak drafters allowing value to slide at positions it shouldn't be.
or that he was wise and recognized a plethora of players with comparable value thus meaning there really wasn't much of a slide

Over the last four or five years(since the beginning) I have very close to the highest average finish.
Does anyone have the 2005 & 2007 final standings? Those MFL sites show 0 points for all teams. The 2006 & 2008 MFL sites show the final point totals and thus the final standings.ETA: I'd be interested in seeing the average finish for all participants, as LHUCKS alludes to here.

Bad schtick or :goodposting:
It came down to (projected) points for methe best QBs score so much in this league that it's very possible they're "head and shoulders" above the players that were going to be picked in the second round. When the very good players are scoring 300ish points and Warner is 150 more than that, that just seems so enormous. I didn't want to draft a guy that will(in theory) get 2/3 of what the player I could pick would get.It could have been one of his best year's ever(Rams) and reality will set in this year but, I still think he can get 300 points or more throwing to those wideouts.

Over the last four or five years(since the beginning) I have very close to the highest average finish.
Does anyone have the 2005 & 2007 final standings? Those MFL sites show 0 points for all teams. The 2006 & 2008 MFL sites show the final point totals and thus the final standings.ETA: I'd be interested in seeing the average finish for all participants, as LHUCKS alludes to here.
FWIW I think I'm middle of the pack twice

we caclulated this in the other thread....my average finish was around 5 I think. Can't recall how we got the data.

I believe those years were at Twilight's ffplace site. I don't have the final standings, but Twilight might.

Bad schtick or :goodposting:
It came down to (projected) points for me
of course it did, that's the only way you could justify that pick.Which factors did you ignore, is the more intriguing question.
well I guess I can speak of RB since I grabbed one. I see Schwarz coming from a team that loved to run and think Kevin Smith could get alot of work. I think there's a good shot of him faring as well as some RBs taken earlier. So I suppose I ignored RB or (in most drafts) the RB heavy beginning that's typical.This early in the offseason, I haven't done enough mocks drafting WRs so early. I think it's new, in a sense, to the degree people are going WR early this year. I'm used to them starting around the first corner and yet still much of the 2nd being RBs. Without having worked out enough mocks going WR early, I simply wasn't confident enough to go that route.I don't think TE in the first or near the corner is the best move. Maybe with some of the shrewd drafters we have but in general I think that's not the best move.

This early in the offseason, I haven't done enough mocks drafting WRs so early. I think it's new, in a sense, to the degree people are going WR early this year. I'm used to them starting around the first corner and yet still much of the 2nd being RBs. Without having worked out enough mocks going WR early, I simply wasn't confident enough to go that route.I don't think TE in the first or near the corner is the best move. Maybe with some of the shrewd drafters we have but in general I think that's not the best move.
It's all based on the scoring system. Most other leagues, and thus most mocks, probably don't have the kind of exhaustive lineups and unique PPR scoring (0 PPR for RBs, 1 PPR for WRs, 2 PPR for TEs) these leagues require. So these Anarchy drafts really shouldn't look like any other drafts you participate in.

I don't think TE in the first or near the corner is the best move. Maybe with some of the shrewd drafters we have but in general I think that's not the best move.
feeling pretty good about having clark on board and grabbing rogers the same turn you took warner/brees but a full round later

BTW what's your record the last couple years? :thumbup:
we caclulated this in the other thread....my average finish was around 5 I think. Can't recall how we got the data.
In other words your talking out of your 4th point of contact as usual. As far as the TE issue. I have managed to get some decent ones later on in the draft but never finished in top 5 without a top 5 TE on my team. That is how important they are in this format.

Silly person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_Landing_Fall

Duckboy said:
Duckboy said:
CalBear said:
Dammit, Duckboy, that's twice in a row.
Sorry, but if it makes you feel better, BE was my other consideration there.
Back at ya :rolleyes: We need to stop looking at the same lists.
Hey man, DeSean is my boy. Not as much as Gonzo, but I gotta have a token Golden Bear on the team.

Duckboy said:
Duckboy said:
CalBear said:
Dammit, Duckboy, that's twice in a row.
Sorry, but if it makes you feel better, BE was my other consideration there.
Back at ya ;) We need to stop looking at the same lists.
Hey man, DeSean is my boy. Not as much as Gonzo, but I gotta have a token Golden Bear on the team.
Yes, your plan to take Gonzalez first was as predictable as anything in the draft. And I fully expected you to take Jackson.

Guys

I have to travel to LR this afternoon and will return sometime on Saturday. WIll have limited internet availability so if anybody will send me a PM I will share my cell number so that I can be alerted and minimize delays.

I am also participating with FBG team in the Interboard Draft so similarly somebody here that is also there please PM for cell to contact

Carry on

LHUCKS said:
you are aware that is an overly simplistic, and incorrect method of evaluating a positions worth, right?
So tell us, O exalted one, why you would avoid a TE who scores 358 points (most of any non-QB), when the #32 TE (who starts every week in this format) scores 87.

Yes, your plan to take Gonzalez first was as predictable as anything in the draft. And I fully expected you to take Jackson.
I would gladly trade LT for Gonzo, and not because he's a Golden Bear. I'm not fully up to date on my projections, but I've done Gonzo's and he was a great choice there. I haven't done projections for Desean yet, but I'm extremely comfortable taking him at a point when the other options are guys like Cotchery, who he outscored last year even when Cotchery had Farve throwing to him.

LHUCKS said:
So tell us, O exalted one, why you would avoid a TE who scores 358 points (most of any non-QB), when the #32 TE (who starts every week in this format) scores 87.
I'm here to beat you, not educate you. You're Pac10 alum, you can figure it out.

I'm here to beat you, not educate you. You're Pac10 alum, you can figure it out.
You're not in my league; you're up there in league 1 with the auto-drafters. (Good job competing against robots drafting based on ADP in leagues with vastly different rules).

Just Win Baby said:
Bri said:
This early in the offseason, I haven't done enough mocks drafting WRs so early. I think it's new, in a sense, to the degree people are going WR early this year. I'm used to them starting around the first corner and yet still much of the 2nd being RBs. Without having worked out enough mocks going WR early, I simply wasn't confident enough to go that route.I don't think TE in the first or near the corner is the best move. Maybe with some of the shrewd drafters we have but in general I think that's not the best move.
It's all based on the scoring system. Most other leagues, and thus most mocks, probably don't have the kind of exhaustive lineups and unique PPR scoring (0 PPR for RBs, 1 PPR for WRs, 2 PPR for TEs) these leagues require. So these Anarchy drafts really shouldn't look like any other drafts you participate in.
sure but I want to have seen that I built a good team going that route before a draft for a league like this that will wind up lasting into January. Just gotta be confident I suppose

Interesting (to me) note: I hadn't gotten DD set up yet this year, so I drafted the first four rounds without it. Now I set it up and put in the draft so far, and I managed to pick my top player by VBD in all four rounds.

Looking at the draft so far, biggest surprise is Clinton Portis at 3.03. Chris Johnson? Steve Slaton??

Interesting (to me) note: I hadn't gotten DD set up yet this year, so I drafted the first four rounds without it. Now I set it up and put in the draft so far, and I managed to pick my top player by VBD in all four rounds.Looking at the draft so far, biggest surprise is Clinton Portis at 3.03. Chris Johnson? Steve Slaton??
:thumbup:Portis finished 1 point behind Slaton last year and about 15 points ahead of Johnson. I have more confidence Portis can repeat than the other two... in fact, I think Portis can improve. I think the Redskins offense should be a bit better in their second year under Zorn, and their defense should also be better, which could result in more running opportunities. Portis could easily get more than the 36 red zone carries he had last season. I also doubt either Houston or Tennessee will make the playoffs this year, so I don't think I sacrificed playoff points. I went with what I felt was the safer pick.All that said, I was frustrated with myself because I botched my second-third round strategy, as I posted previously. I didn't want to take a RB, but all three players I liked after my 2.14 pick were taken by 3.3. So I didn't really get what I wanted at 3.3.

Interesting (to me) note: I hadn't gotten DD set up yet this year, so I drafted the first four rounds without it. Now I set it up and put in the draft so far, and I managed to pick my top player by VBD in all four rounds.Looking at the draft so far, biggest surprise is Clinton Portis at 3.03. Chris Johnson? Steve Slaton??
:pickle:Portis finished 1 point behind Slaton last year and about 15 points ahead of Johnson. I have more confidence Portis can repeat than the other two... in fact, I think Portis can improve. I think the Redskins offense should be a bit better in their second year under Zorn, and their defense should also be better, which could result in more running opportunities. Portis could easily get more than the 36 red zone carries he had last season. I also doubt either Houston or Tennessee will make the playoffs this year, so I don't think I sacrificed playoff points. I went with what I felt was the safer pick.
You misunderstand me; I think it's insane that Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton went before Clinton Portis.

:pickle:Portis finished 1 point behind Slaton last year and about 15 points ahead of Johnson. I have more confidence Portis can repeat than the other two... in fact, I think Portis can improve. I think the Redskins offense should be a bit better in their second year under Zorn, and their defense should also be better, which could result in more running opportunities. Portis could easily get more than the 36 red zone carries he had last season. I also doubt either Houston or Tennessee will make the playoffs this year, so I don't think I sacrificed playoff points. I went with what I felt was the safer pick.
You misunderstand me; I think it's insane that Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton went before Clinton Portis.
LOL. :lmao:I wasn't planning to go RB, so I didn't really pay attention to what RBs were gone at that point, just who was available. And I just knew that I had Portis ranked highest of those available, so I misinterpreted your question and assumed I had passed on them for Portis. Which I would have done if they were available.Glad you think I got a good value there. :lmao:

I'm going to be on a train for something like 18 hours starting this evening. After that I should have decent access.

Users who are viewing this thread