What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2009 Tampa Bay Rays thread (1 Viewer)

Capella

Footballguy
Great year, disappointing finish, but what a run.

Points of interest:

-what to do with Edwin? Most think he'll be traded for a RF, but who is really available? Would he make a good bullpen option? Can they add him and Niemann to the pen to add two power arms to the Howell/Balfour duo?

-if they don't trade for a RF, do they go for the internal options? Re-sign Rocco and go with a Baldelli/Zobrist platoon? Maybe supplement that with Perez?

-SP should be amazing:

Kazmir

Shields

Garza

Sonnanstine

Price

...With Ejax and Wade Davis as possibilities.

-Could they get a better return for Sonny than Edwin? Maybe move them both and introduce Davis or Niemann to the rotation? Or Sonny to the pen?

-I imagine Aybar becomes the full-time DH. Seems like he has the bat for it. Does Floyd retire?

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, Cappy, congrats on the season. Rays battled the whole way. Maddon and the team are a class act.

Why is it a foregone conclusion that Price gets moved to SP? I know that's what he's done before, but why not try him at closer? Kid seems to keep his cool in pressure situations and the Rays are already loaded with talented young starting pitching.

My early roster guess:

2B - Aki

LF - Crawford

CF - Upton

1B - Pena

3B - Longoria

DH - Aybar

C - Navarro

RF - Zobrist/Baldelli

SS - Bartlett

C - Riggans

OF - Perez

OF - Zobrist/Baldelli

OF - Gross

Bench - Floyd or Hinske or other filler

SP - Kazmir

SP - Shields

SP - Garza

SP - Sonnanstine

SP - Price

BP - Howell

BP - Balfour

BP - Miller

BP - Wheeler

BP - Niemann

BP - Jackson?

I'd like to see Niemann or Ejax develop into a power closer.

I imagine Hammel, Percival, Hinske and Floyd are the only casualties.

First off, Cappy, congrats on the season. Rays battled the whole way. Maddon and the team are a class act.Why is it a foregone conclusion that Price gets moved to SP? I know that's what he's done before, but why not try him at closer? Kid seems to keep his cool in pressure situations and the Rays are already loaded with talented young starting pitching.
Price has Gooden-esque stuff with his fastball-offspeed combo...that's too good not to be a SP. IF he pans out the way he looks now...we're not talking 3-5 starter...we're talking ace.

The thing I am most interested in is BJ...is he arb-eligible? Does he sign long-term? Keep playing his current contract?

Jaxbill - you can expect 160-175 high-quality innings from Price next year. I don't think you take a guy like that and make him a closer.

Look how dominating Hamels was in this post-season. Price can be every bit that good, if not even better. Now picture Hamels in the bullpen. :goodposting:

I know I'm probably pissing in the wind here, but any chance they try to package Sonny or EJax as part of a deal for Matt Holliday? I don't see any reason why Holliday couldn't play right.

I know I'm probably pissing in the wind here, but any chance they try to package Sonny or EJax as part of a deal for Matt Holliday? I don't see any reason why Holliday couldn't play right.
Because he's going to need a $100+ milllion contract.

My pie in the sky hope would be to land someone like Adam Dunn. I know it's not likely to happen, but the thought of it makes me swoon a bit.

My pie in the sky hope would be to land someone like Adam Dunn. I know it's not likely to happen, but the thought of it makes me swoon a bit.
One of the more unappreciated players in the game. Guy with 5 straight years of at least 40 HR's (last 4, he had EXACTLY 40 HRS....eerie) and solid OBP's. But, there are still some that don't look past the low BA's.

One of the more unappreciated players in the game. Guy with 5 straight years of at least 40 HR's (last 4, he had EXACTLY 40 HRS....eerie) and solid OBP's. But, there are still some that don't look past the low BA's.
I don' think it'd be a problem in TB. He and Pena are incredibly similar players.

If I had to guess, it looks like they'll get Giambi to DH.

My question is, what to do about the bullpen. The offense, SP and defense all look good to great, but it's unrealistic to expect Balfour and Howell to be THAT good again.

I imagine Niemann gets sent to the pen? Anyone think he'll get significant innings, just not be the long guy? Also, Wade Davis is ready - any chance he comes up in June to add another power arm to the pen?

Right now the pen looks like:

Percival

Howell

Balfour

Nelson

Wheeler

Bradford

Niemann

With Hammel, Salas and maybe Talbot around in case someone gets hurt in spring.

It's a potentially deep pen, but question marks with Percy and Wheeler for sure, and doubts about Howell, Balfour and Nelson repeating 2008 success.

Went to the game on Sat in Pt Charlotte. I think that is the nicest stadium in the Grapefruit League now. :wub:

Got to sit with Joe Maddon at lunch yesterday...really cool and down-to-earth guy. :thumbup:

We talked about everything from the worst fans in baseball (Philly by far), to Gene Autry and John Wooden (both of whom he spent time with), to Mike Scioscia and their trip to Italy, to where he likes to go out in South Tampa.

Two new slogans for the locker room this year are:

- 9 > 8 ("2009 will be better than 2008")

- "We err on the side of Aggressiveness"

Whole Camels said:
gump said:
Got to sit with Joe Maddon at lunch yesterday...really cool and down-to-earth guy. :thumbdown:

We talked about everything from the worst fans in baseball (Philly by far)
:lmao: awesome!
He actually got a little passionate about that question. We laughed when he said it before the question was fully asked...but then he went into a story about some Philly fans saying things to a 7 year old girl that were pretty over the top. He looked us in the eyes, serious as he!!, and said that he understands passion, intensity and fans having fun...but that there was no room in sports IHO for that kind of behavior and if any father heard those things about his daughter they'd leap into the stands.Very professional, laid back and friendly guy...but that touched a nerve.

Announced last night that PRice is officially down in triple A. What a sham.

Guys pitching in the playoffs and now he's in triple a. The Rays management can say this is a baseball move but they arent fooling anyone. it's kind of an embarassment sending him down to the little club.

The difference between Niemann and Price in the first two months of the season will probably be the difference of 1st and 3rd place in the AL East.

I don't see how it's strictly a financial move...bringing Price down for a month or two. He's already signed a big league deal. Maybe down the road in regards to Free Agency...but that seems like a long way off.

I think they are genuinely trying to monitor his innings. After all, the difference between a fresh Price and worn-out Price in Aug/September could also be the difference in 1st or 3rd place in the East.

I think they are genuinely trying to monitor his innings.
I think that's the #1 reason, it's a lot easier to send the guy to the bench in a 2-1 game in the 5th inning in Durham than it is in Tampa.Sure there are other reasons ($, delaying the arb clock, getting some value from Niemann), but I think the innings are the #1 reason.

I think that's the #1 reason, it's a lot easier to send the guy to the bench in a 2-1 game in the 5th inning in Durham than it is in Tampa.Sure there are other reasons ($, delaying the arb clock, getting some value from Niemann), but I think the innings are the #1 reason.
Absolutely not. They can say whatever they want. This is all about money. He is going to be 24 in August. He pitched about 160 innings last year. He pitched for 3 years in college, the last which he went for 130. He's ready. This isnt about arm strength.

Absolutely not. They can say whatever they want. This is all about money. He is going to be 24 in August. He pitched about 160 innings last year. He pitched for 3 years in college, the last which he went for 130. He's ready. This isnt about arm strength.
He pitched 123 2/3 IP's in 2008, which is slightly less than about 160. Slightly. The Rays said they won't increase his IP count by more than 20% (because they've done their research about over using young arms), if you use 2008's number that's 148 IP's, if you use 2007's number that's 160. Either way, he's getting his IP's limited, as he should.

a) No, it's not about money. He already has a big-league contractb) No, he didn't pitch 160 innings last year. Try 120ish. He probably won't pitch more than that this year. Get your facts straight before you come in here sounding stupid.c) He has options and Hammel/Niemann don't. That makes a big difference, until they are able to trade one of those guys. d) Andrew Friedman is a baseball savant. He knows what he's doing, and he doesn't care about your nerd fantasy team.
The difference between Niemann and Price in the first two months of the season will probably be the difference of 1st and 3rd place in the AL East.
e) No, it won't be. Over a sample size of 6-7 starts, it probably won't make a difference of even a one game swing.

i was really surprised Price got sent down to Durham. at least i'll get to see him pitch without having to travel to FL. :shrug:

a) No, it's not about money. He already has a big-league contractb) No, he didn't pitch 160 innings last year. Try 120ish. He probably won't pitch more than that this year. Get your facts straight before you come in here sounding stupid.c) He has options and Hammel/Niemann don't. That makes a big difference, until they are able to trade one of those guys. d) Andrew Friedman is a baseball savant. He knows what he's doing, and he doesn't care about your nerd fantasy team.
e) No, it won't be. Over a sample size of 6-7 starts, it probably won't make a difference of even a one game swing.
:popcorn: :thumbup: I cannot believe you still have that pic to use as an avatar :tumbleweed:

He pitched 123 2/3 IP's in 2008, which is slightly less than about 160. Slightly. The Rays said they won't increase his IP count by more than 20% (because they've done their research about over using young arms), if you use 2008's number that's 148 IP's, if you use 2007's number that's 160. Either way, he's getting his IP's limited, as he should.
123 in the minors plus his time in the majors.

I already know the scopp behind NIemann and Hammel. I dont need you to tell me. There is a reason they are out of options. MAybe someone should tell you that. Im sorry, but you are dead wrong. Yes, it will make a difference. If he is down for 2 months that is about 10 starts. There is a HUGE difference between Price and Niemann. Niemann SUCKS compared to Price. FACT. Yes, of course they want to limit his innings. Isnt this obvious??This is all about money down the road. By delaying him now it is saving money down the arbitration years. Get real.Oh one more thing, while I do play fantasy baseball, i dont have price on any of my teams. "Andrew Friedman is a baseball savant" !! And you're calling me the nerd??? LMFAO.

123 in the minors plus his time in the majors.
We're both wrong, it was 139 1/3, baseball reference did not include his playoff innings.http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=531525

"The 23-year-old Price pitched 139 1-3 innings between the minors and the Rays in 2008."

Still, his max for 2009 is still 167 IP's.

As a Tigers fan I would have been ecstatic had they dumped Hammel or Niemann to keep Price up, both of those guys are starters on half the other teams in the majors. There's several good reasons to send Price down, Homer said it better than I ever could.

Does anyone have an update on Will Kline? He was the Rays' first pick in the 2nd round two drafts ago and missed last season with shoulder surgery. I tried google and looking through the minor league rosters but couldn't find anything. Thanks

:football: :thumbup: I cannot believe you still have that pic to use as an avatar :thumbup:
Sam's good people.Desmond Jennings outlook?

I already know the scopp behind NIemann and Hammel. I dont need you to tell me. There is a reason they are out of options. MAybe someone should tell you that. Im sorry, but you are dead wrong. Yes, it will make a difference. If he is down for 2 months that is about 10 starts. There is a HUGE difference between Price and Niemann. Niemann SUCKS compared to Price. FACT. Yes, of course they want to limit his innings. Isnt this obvious??This is all about money down the road. By delaying him now it is saving money down the arbitration years. Get real.Oh one more thing, while I do play fantasy baseball, i dont have price on any of my teams. "Andrew Friedman is a baseball savant" !! And you're calling me the nerd??? LMFAO.
You're wrong here. Move along.

You're wrong here. Move along.
No I'm not. Sorry you dont get it.

Frankly...as a Rays fan...I want the FO to do whatever they can to keep the roster competitive financially.

Sternberg is already talking about how difficult it is going to be NEXT year...with Upton, Garza, and some others being arb-eligible and some expensive options coming up (Pena).

If they can ease Price in...while also saving some $$ down the road...they have to do it.

This is MLB afterall.

Users who are viewing this thread