What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2011 Every Down Linebacker Thread (1 Viewer)

I have two questions:

1. Will DeAndre Levy continue with good performances? He have double digit tackles in last 3 games.

2. Will Elvis Dumervil become a productive player, or injury will leave a mark on him throughout the hole season?

Thank you for answer :)
hey, be nice to the broncos..........they are tryingi think the injury will sapp him for the entire season. and when elvis isn't at full strength and being so disruptive against the pass rush it really really exposes his weakness against the run. he'll likely rotate alot with jason hunter or whoever for the season.

Any updated thoughts on Will Witherspoon continuing to play every down? I realize there's some speculation here but just looking for a best guess based on recent performance, etc.

Will DeAndre Levy continue with good performances? He have double digit tackles in last 3 games.
Levy and Durant were sharing time in the subpackages before Durant's concussion. I think Levy's upswing was driven by the 5-15 extra snaps he got from Durant's absence, then a slight uptick in overall opportunity in addition. I think he's a 4-6 solo/week player at baseline.
Any updated thoughts on Will Witherspoon continuing to play every down? I realize there's some speculation here but just looking for a best guess based on recent performance, etc.
No updated thoughts. I'd handicap the chances that he plays every down this week at 55-65% coming out of the bye. If he does, however, it's a very good sign that he'll stick in that role for the rest of the season.

Daryl Washington played only in 47 out of 77 possible defensive snaps this week. Probably a situation to monitor.

**Thomas Howard and Brandon Johnson were the nickel backers in Cincinnati before the bye. If Howard can't play this week, the second nickel backer will be either Dan Skuta or Manny Lawson. I'd handicap that narrowly in Skuta's favor, but it could go either way.**With Scott Fujita out, Chris Gocong played every down. Sounds like Fujita will be back this week, but keep that nugget in your memory bank if Fujita is injured again later in the year.**Von Miller quietly back taking the bulk of the base defensive SLB snaps this week.**Ernie Sims is still the nickel OLB in Indianapolis, but the time is ticking on his poor coverage skills and good health.**Rolando McClain continues to fight through multiple injuries, but when he's on the training table, it's been Darryl Blackstock taking his every-down snaps. It's fair to wonder if that happens with two weeks to coach up Aaron Curry to play MLB in the dime package (should McClain be unable to go in Week 9), and I'd be a little wary of Blackstock.**Na'il Diggs...child, please.**Lots more on this in our columns and on the podcast this week, but there was more 3-4 from Carolina last week, with a rotation of ILB and OLB. For now, consider James Anderson the lone every-down LB. Omar Gaither (who briefly played every down before his knee injury) will be back, but won't likely be considered ready for full time duty over Thomas Williams (and it's possible he might rotate with Jason Phillips in the base D).**Got a few questions wondering if Sean Lee is rotating again based on the box score results last week. He's not. It's status quo in Dallas.**Whether it was a setback with the knee or the knowledge that he'd have a major challenge against the GB spread, the Vikings held EJ Henderson out of most subpackages and Erin Henderson played every down. **Seeing less and less dime from St. Louis with every passing week. Chris Chamberlain deserves asterisk consideration now and can be considered a reasonably safe OLB play since Spagnuolo has used him in that role in the past, though things could change in any given week.**More Malcolm Smith over Leroy Hill again this week. I'm leaving Hill on the list one more week with an asterisk, but he's getting closer and closer to a platoon player.**Still some spare dime snaps in Tampa Bay, with Quincy Black the lone linebacker. Probably only a concern against true spread offenses if you're starting Geno Hayes.**Keyaron Fox replaced London Fletcher late last week and stayed in nickel packages. It's possible things are different after a week of game planning and practice, but if Fletcher doesn't play, that's the likely scenario.

Daryl Washington played only in 47 out of 77 possible defensive snaps this week. Probably a situation to monitor.
Thanks for noting this. I make an effort to watch nearly every snap of every game each week, but there are some weeks that I've got to triage my time. This week, I didn't get through the full PIT-ARI game.I would've noted above that the Cardinals came out of their bye week with a dime package against a four wide receiver set and kept Lenon on the field over Washington. They also brought Bradley in as a roving pass rusher and used Richard Marshall as a safety at times. Washington is still playing in all other subpackages. But I didn't see the fourth quarter. I don't think there's anything to it, but Bradley and Walker took a full series from Lenon and Washington early in the fourth. Lenon returned for a later series, but Washington didn't play at all in the fourth. Washington didn't appear injured and isn't on the injury report. There's also nothing to be found in the local news this week about his absence that I've seen. The only questionable issue was a third quarter play in which Washington got lost badly on a choice route by Heath Miller. Otherwise, I thought he played well.I'll see what I can dig up by tomorrow morning.

'Jene Bramel said:
**Thomas Howard and Brandon Johnson were the nickel backers in Cincinnati before the bye. If Howard can't play this week, the second nickel backer will be either Dan Skuta or Manny Lawson. I'd handicap that narrowly in Skuta's favor, but it could go either way.**With Scott Fujita out, Chris Gocong played every down. Sounds like Fujita will be back this week, but keep that nugget in your memory bank if Fujita is injured again later in the year.**Von Miller quietly back taking the bulk of the base defensive SLB snaps this week.**Ernie Sims is still the nickel OLB in Indianapolis, but the time is ticking on his poor coverage skills and good health.**Rolando McClain continues to fight through multiple injuries, but when he's on the training table, it's been Darryl Blackstock taking his every-down snaps. It's fair to wonder if that happens with two weeks to coach up Aaron Curry to play MLB in the dime package (should McClain be unable to go in Week 9), and I'd be a little wary of Blackstock.**Na'il Diggs...child, please.**Lots more on this in our columns and on the podcast this week, but there was more 3-4 from Carolina last week, with a rotation of ILB and OLB. For now, consider James Anderson the lone every-down LB. Omar Gaither (who briefly played every down before his knee injury) will be back, but won't likely be considered ready for full time duty over Thomas Williams (and it's possible he might rotate with Jason Phillips in the base D).**Got a few questions wondering if Sean Lee is rotating again based on the box score results last week. He's not. It's status quo in Dallas.**Whether it was a setback with the knee or the knowledge that he'd have a major challenge against the GB spread, the Vikings held EJ Henderson out of most subpackages and Erin Henderson played every down. **Seeing less and less dime from St. Louis with every passing week. Chris Chamberlain deserves asterisk consideration now and can be considered a reasonably safe OLB play since Spagnuolo has used him in that role in the past, though things could change in any given week.**More Malcolm Smith over Leroy Hill again this week. I'm leaving Hill on the list one more week with an asterisk, but he's getting closer and closer to a platoon player.**Still some spare dime snaps in Tampa Bay, with Quincy Black the lone linebacker. Probably only a concern against true spread offenses if you're starting Geno Hayes.**Keyaron Fox replaced London Fletcher late last week and stayed in nickel packages. It's possible things are different after a week of game planning and practice, but if Fletcher doesn't play, that's the likely scenario.

Thanks for noting this. I make an effort to watch nearly every snap of every game each week, but there are some weeks that I've got to triage my time. This week, I didn't get through the full PIT-ARI game.I would've noted above that the Cardinals came out of their bye week with a dime package against a four wide receiver set and kept Lenon on the field over Washington. They also brought Bradley in as a roving pass rusher and used Richard Marshall as a safety at times. Washington is still playing in all other subpackages. But I didn't see the fourth quarter. I don't think there's anything to it, but Bradley and Walker took a full series from Lenon and Washington early in the fourth. Lenon returned for a later series, but Washington didn't play at all in the fourth. Washington didn't appear injured and isn't on the injury report. There's also nothing to be found in the local news this week about his absence that I've seen. The only questionable issue was a third quarter play in which Washington got lost badly on a choice route by Heath Miller. Otherwise, I thought he played well.I'll see what I can dig up by tomorrow morning.
Jene now that Phillips is out this week will we see Donald Butler in a 3 down role?

**Rey Maualuga should be back this week, but his extended absence and the good play of Brandon Johnson could put him back in a rotational situation temporarily in subpackages. I've no source or confirmation on that, it's just my speculation.

**Jerod Mayo was back playing every down last week. Brandon Spikes was also, until an MCL injury drove him from the game.

**Daryl Blackstock played every down at MLB with Rolando McClain sidelined. Aaron Curry also played nearly every down, as the Raiders may finally be moving away from their ineffective dime packages.

**James Harrison was back and looked healthy. Lawrence Timmons, Jason Worilds and Stevenson Sylvester rotated at one ILB and OLB spot, with Timmons coming off the field at times. I don't expect that will continue when the Steelers get LaMarr Woodley back.

**Travis LaBoy and Antwan Barnes have been played 90% of the down with Shaun Phillips out. Donald Butler played most downs with Na'il Diggs out last week, though the Chargers did use a funky package with Tommie Harris aligning as an ILB, then rushing the passer.

**Barring a surprise increase in 3-4 snaps coming out of their bye week, Omar Gaither should be a near every-down linebacker in Carolina with Thomas Williams now on IR.

**The Cowboys rotated everybody at ILB last week. With Sean Lee back but injured, we may see a base defensive and nickel rotation this week.

**Jo-Lonn Dunbar again played every down at MLB with Jon Vilma out last week.

**The Giants didn't use Jacquian Williams at all in Week 8, but rotated him in sparingly in Week 9. Mathias Kiwanuka has continued to move around the formation based on down and distance and offensive personnel.

**Chris Chamberlain has slipped back into a platoon role over the past two weeks, with the Rams morphing back to primarily dime packages on passing downs.

**Geno Hayes was benched last week for Adam Hayward, who played SLB while Quincy Black got most of the snaps at WLB. It's not yet clear whether that will continue, but Hayes is a reserve for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
**Rey Maualuga was immediately inserted back into nickel packages over Brandon Johnson.

**The Raiders went back to playing lots of dime. Though Aaron Curry is still seeing time in some nickel sets, his near every down duty seems to have been related more to Denver's offensive personnel in Week 9 and Rolando McClain's injury struggles than a change in defensive philosophy.

**Colin McCarthy played in nickel packages last week. Barrett Ruud is expected back in Week 11, however, with McCarthy going back to the bench.

**Omar Gaither, as expected, played every down.

**Sean Lee played every snap before leaving midway through the fourth quarter in last week's blowout of Buffalo.

**Erin Henderson continues to hold an every-down role in Minnesota, though his injury status could force a change this week.

**Mason Foster, despite his struggles, continues to hold the team's favor as the lone every-down player. Quincy Black has been leaving in dime situations and Geno Hayes and Adam Hayward rotated at the other OLB position.

**The Redskins put Perry Riley into the lineup for Rocky McIntosh and trusted him with every-down duty.

How will L. Timmons be used after the bye week? How can we view him the rest of the year? LB3?
Depends on the health of Woodley. Continued to take some snaps at OLB last week for Worilds. If Woodley is back, Timmons is back to being an every-down WILB. If not, it'll depend on whether Worilds is ready to play more base defensive downs.
Will Donald Butler play every down if Spikes is out?
He did last week and should again if that happens.

**Jameel McClain is playing every down with Ray Lewis out.

**Chris Gocong is likely to play nearly every down with Scott Fujita on IR.

**There’s a chance that Von Miller’s thumb injury costs him base defensive snaps, though that’s speculation and not been suggested by anyone locally.

**Colin McCarthy is playing every down with Barrett Ruud out, but Akeem Ayers has also started to play in all subpackages recently.

**DJ Smith would play every down if Desmond Bishop is out. Robert Francois didn’t play in subpackages after AJ Hawk left the game last week.

**EJ Henderson has played every down for the past two weeks with Erin Henderson limited, but EJ still has knee issues.

Just wondering about Jordan Senn. I assume he's not playing every down, but do you think it's possible he could emerge as that guy down the stretch or at least have consistent value? He's been OK in the boxscore the last couple of weeks.

Fujita is out long-term; is Gocong or anyone else viable there for the Browns?
Possibly Gocong, but his upside is limited.
Just wondering about Jordan Senn. I assume he's not playing every down, but do you think it's possible he could emerge as that guy down the stretch or at least have consistent value? He's been OK in the boxscore the last couple of weeks.
There are some very nice matchups on the Carolina schedule. I think both Connor and Senn could have a little upside, but both will be risky.

ED linebacker thread update

**The Bengals pulled Rey Maualuga (who also missed time with a couple of minor dings during the game) from nickel packages in favor of Brandon Johnson during much of the Pittsburgh game.

**Von Miller may be back this week (though it’s possible he’ll sit on some base defensive snaps), but Mario Haggan did not play every down last week.

**AJ Edds played every down after Pat Angerer left with injury. I’m not certain he played well enough to continue in that role this week.

**Missed adding him last week, but Justin Houston has been playing every down for three weeks now and should have been noted earlier.

**Robert Francois played nearly every down last week after the Packers chose to play mostly dime in Week 12.

**EJ Henderson was the every-down linebacker for the fourth straight week over brother Erin.

**Jonathan Vilma was back and playing every down last week. Jo-Lonn Dunbar and Jonathan Casillas played relatively few snaps.

**The Giants used a heavy rotation at linebacker last week. Both Mathias Kiwanuka and Michael Boley rotated out at times. I think we’re likely to see them back in every-down roles soon enough.

**Larry Grant did play every down after Patrick Willis left with injury.

**The Redskins used dime against most of the Jets’ four wide receiver sets last week, with Perry Riley missing a handful of snaps.

**The Bengals pulled Rey Maualuga (who also missed time with a couple of minor dings during the game) from nickel packages in favor of Brandon Johnson during much of the Pittsburgh game.

Is this something that is expected to continue or do you think this was just a one week deal? What can we expect from him against Houston this week?

**The Bengals pulled Rey Maualuga (who also missed time with a couple of minor dings during the game) from nickel packages in favor of Brandon Johnson during much of the Pittsburgh game.Is this something that is expected to continue or do you think this was just a one week deal? What can we expect from him against Houston this week?
Maualuga was in and out of the game with injuries in the first half. The change could have been related to that or Zimmer's desire to get more athletic against Pittsburgh's spread. I think there's a good chance that Maualuga regains his every-down role against Houston -- who may not force many nickel snaps anyway -- but there's a little risk here. The Cincinnati stat crew leans assist heavy, too, and that could cut into his production a bit.

Jamar Chaney pulled from subpackages this week. There are now no every-down linebackers in PHI (Rolle/Chaney/Jordan in base and Matthews/Clayton in nickel).

On paper, McCarthy is a bad matchup vs. New Orleans. But Urlacher has kind of stunk lately at least statistically, which hurts to say as a Bears fan.

Is McCarthy still a better play than Urlacher?

Also could start Von Miller, but just worried about this thumb affecting his # of snap counts. These IDP matchups are still new to me. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread