What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2011 Every Down Linebacker Thread (1 Viewer)

I think the loss of OTAs is making the preseason games a lot more difficult to read. Teams normally would have had a bunch more practices to try different people in different situations, such as the nickel packages. Now they have to try things in preseason games this year that they already might have known in years past. Without being specific, I think people need to be more patient this year regarding who plays where and who plays in the nickel packages. I think much more will be known after the 3rd preseason game. The best way to handle this is to just watch as many games as possible and see how a player performs in the nickel. But I for one am not going to etch anything in stone after one preseason game.
How do you see the Lions LB crew working out?
I think they are virtually certain to line up with Tulloch in the middle, Levy at WLB, and Durant at SLB I still think Levy plays 3 downs, but it's not etched in stone. I give Tulloch a slight edge to be the other nickel LB. I have a feeling that we won't know any of this for sure until after the 3rd preseason game.

Any updates on Bradley vs. Lenon? All indications are that Lenon is still the starter, but your list has Bradley as an every down guy.

If Bradley does take over, what kind of stats are we looking at?

TIA.

Any updates on Bradley vs. Lenon? All indications are that Lenon is still the starter, but your list has Bradley as an every down guy.If Bradley does take over, what kind of stats are we looking at?TIA.
Coaching comments, contract size, previous level of play is driving my Bradley over Lenon speculation. I think Bradley has matchup LB3 value -- not quite the level of stats from Lenon last year -- with Washington playing next to him and what should be better tackling corners.

I think the loss of OTAs is making the preseason games a lot more difficult to read. Teams normally would have had a bunch more practices to try different people in different situations, such as the nickel packages. Now they have to try things in preseason games this year that they already might have known in years past.

Without being specific, I think people need to be more patient this year regarding who plays where and who plays in the nickel packages. I think much more will be known after the 3rd preseason game. The best way to handle this is to just watch as many games as possible and see how a player performs in the nickel. But I for one am not going to etch anything in stone after one preseason game.
I think they are virtually certain to line up with Tulloch in the middle, Levy at WLB, and Durant at SLB I still think Levy plays 3 downs, but it's not etched in stone. I give Tulloch a slight edge to be the other nickel LB. I have a feeling that we won't know any of this for sure until after the 3rd preseason game.
Yeah that's usually when you see the real starters.

I think the loss of OTAs is making the preseason games a lot more difficult to read. Teams normally would have had a bunch more practices to try different people in different situations, such as the nickel packages. Now they have to try things in preseason games this year that they already might have known in years past.

Without being specific, I think people need to be more patient this year regarding who plays where and who plays in the nickel packages. I think much more will be known after the 3rd preseason game. The best way to handle this is to just watch as many games as possible and see how a player performs in the nickel. But I for one am not going to etch anything in stone after one preseason game.
Yeah that's usually when you see the real starters.
Adding to that is the fact that there were no OTAs and the new LBs could not practice until August 4th. In normal times, many of these issues would already be known or at the very least, coaches would have more of an idea than they do right now. Those missed practices are huge.

Levy and Durant were in the nickel on the first drive.

I hope to be able to see more, but these local camera operators leave a lot to be desired.

Edit to add...same with the 2nd drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carolina lists Anderson as the WLB but last night they both played strong and weak for several plays and switched sides so they aren't left and right either.

Davis looks a little slower than I remember but shed blocks pretty well and looked healthy.

'b_taco said:
This is more of a placeholder and companion to the redraft tier post right now. Hoping it'll stir some discussion of situations and possibilities between now and the start of free agency.
I'm having trouble locating this.
It's here, but was written in May, shortly after the draft. The DL tier article that Sigmund Bloom and I wrote was posted late last week and I expect our LB tier article to go up this afternoon. Which reminds me that I need to get those links in the Forum and Warehouse page soon.

Hey Jene or anyone else that wants to pitch in. :-)

Here is the week 3 Gamebook for the Rams/Chiefs game:

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/55460/KC_Gamebook.pdf

Poppinga started at WLB, and most likely will be playing there this season. What do you think the odds of him playing 3 downs are and how does the WLB perform fantasy wise in that defense? He claims he is in the best shape of his life, the guy has always seemed like a role player talent wise, but may be better than anything else they have.

Hey Jene or anyone else that wants to pitch in. :-) Here is the week 3 Gamebook for the Rams/Chiefs game:http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/55460/KC_Gamebook.pdfPoppinga started at WLB, and most likely will be playing there this season. What do you think the odds of him playing 3 downs are and how does the WLB perform fantasy wise in that defense? He claims he is in the best shape of his life, the guy has always seemed like a role player talent wise, but may be better than anything else they have.
Rams played very few nickel snaps, but it was Poppinga (surprisingly over Leber, I thought) in the game. The majority of subpackage snaps were again dime packages, so I don't think we'll see any added value for any OLB until/unless that changes.

'Jene Bramel said:
Hey Jene or anyone else that wants to pitch in. :-) Here is the week 3 Gamebook for the Rams/Chiefs game:http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/55460/KC_Gamebook.pdfPoppinga started at WLB, and most likely will be playing there this season. What do you think the odds of him playing 3 downs are and how does the WLB perform fantasy wise in that defense? He claims he is in the best shape of his life, the guy has always seemed like a role player talent wise, but may be better than anything else they have.
Rams played very few nickel snaps, but it was Poppinga (surprisingly over Leber, I thought) in the game. The majority of subpackage snaps were again dime packages, so I don't think we'll see any added value for any OLB until/unless that changes.
So Leber is playing on the strongside? Rotoworld really got that lineup wrong.

'Jene Bramel said:
Ugh.Reviewing this game again tonight and noticed that I made an incorrect assumption on Leber/Poppinga. Leber is wearing #59 for the Rams, Poppinga #51. I had assumed, incorrectly, and never noticed the name on the back of the jersey, that Leber was #51.It's Leber (59) and not Poppinga in the nickel packages, which certainly makes more sense.Apologies for the error. Usually pay much better attention to detail that that. Mistake I won't repeat.

'Jene Bramel said:
'Goyal the Goodfella said:
What is the Indy nickel situation?
Brackett and Sims most likely. Sims and Conner still battling for starting WLB job, Sims probably has the edge there, but I've not seen any official notes yet.
Watching this battle very closely. Gambled I could pick up both in back-to-back rounds fairly late in a recent all-IDP draft but Conner got sniped just before my pick. The position has always yielded good production from even mediocre players. Hoping Sims superior pass coverage ability carries the day in the end.

What is the situation in NO between Shanle and Casilias? You have Casilias as a three down backer, but fromthe forst couple of preseason games he seemed to play with 2nd string.

What is the situation in NO between Shanle and Casilias? You have Casilias as a three down backer, but fromthe forst couple of preseason games he seemed to play with 2nd string.
Of the snaps I saw, Casillas and Herring were with the first team, but Shanle may not have been playing then. Seems that the consensus is that Shanle and Herring will start at this point, though Casillas is expected to rotate in. I'll amend the first post and we'll see what develops next Thursday if we don't officially hear sooner.

has anyone heard any more on keith rivers health/rehab? Thomas Howard would seem a sneaky play playing every down till Rivers comes back. are we sure Rivers would/will regain his job from howard?

'ninerfanatic492000 said:
has anyone heard any more on keith rivers health/rehab? Thomas Howard would seem a sneaky play playing every down till Rivers comes back. are we sure Rivers would/will regain his job from howard?
The Bengals provide less than zero information about injuries. There have been reports that Rivers will play this year, but until he's activated from PUP I'd not hold my breath. If he's healthy enough to play, I'd think he'll be in the lineup in some capacity unless Howard plays extremely well during the first half of the year.

Does CAsey Matthews play in the nickel if he is the new MLB for PHI? I know you said they play mostly dime. Thanks Jene!
Don't now if this was answered, but.....Matthews wears the green dot, but he comes out on 3rd down. I think it is Fokou and Rolle that are LBs in the nickel.

The Lions have been using Levy and Carpenter in the nickel in practice this week. I'm not sure if they have used other combos because this was the only one mentioned.

Right now, I would not start any Lion LB other than Levy. He seems locked into an every down role.

I think the other LBs are still competing for the last spot, but Carpenter has played very well in camp and preseason, so I won't be surprised to see him in the subpackages, if not more.

Just a head's up on a player who is a major sleeper.Cleveland MLB D'Qwell JacksonLast year I was on top of SS TJ Ward long before others caught on.Take heed, D'Qwell looks like he's fully recovered and will be a monster IDP sleeper.Their are a couple of reasons to back this up.1. He had a great camp and he is coming off his first football contact in a live game in over 20 months and he looks great.2. New defensive scheme. He's not a square peg in a round hole any longer. He's manning the middle of a 4-3 defense and he's a natural fit there.3. He has two HUGE DTs in front of him with Ahtyba Rubin and rookie first round DT Phil Tailor, both tip the scales over 330lbs. Rubin has proven himself as one of the better interior D-Linemen in the league and Tailor has looked great.4. D'Qwell is uncovered and he's making plays and he's attacking gaps and even shooting gaps to apply pressure from the inside, something that he wasn't able to do before in the 3-4.Take heed.IDP sleeper.D'Qwell Jackson
First game box score:- 10 solo tackles- 1 assist- 2 sacks- 1 forced fumble

Sean Lee playing over Brooking in Dallas. Brooking not on the inactive list, just not in the game. Lee was in on base packages and subpackages so far in 2 drives.

ETA... and as soon as I post, Brooking makes an appearance. I know Brooking has been a vet leader, but it looks like Lee's time is coming quick, if not already upon us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean Lee playing over Brooking in Dallas. Brooking not on the inactive list, just not in the game. Lee was in on base packages and subpackages so far in 2 drives.ETA... and as soon as I post, Brooking makes an appearance. I know Brooking has been a vet leader, but it looks like Lee's time is coming quick, if not already upon us.
Lee is primarily taking snaps from James. Has played nearly every down. Need to review lots of film tomorrow, but from what I saw from the Redzone cuts today, there will be quite a few changes to this list this week.

As a dynasty owner of Sean Lee I am encouraged by his performance, but I'm not going to jump to any conclusions regarding his short term outlook until we find out what happened to Brady James. I scour the pre-game reports and could find nothing indicating James would be inactive, yet he doesn't show up in the box score so something is amiss here as I'm quite sure Dallas would play James over Brooking.

Jene, I'm hoping you or anyone can shed some light here as I'm a bit confused about not only who the every down linebackers will be but also who the starters are.

As far as the Lions' LBs: Levy and Tulloch were in the nickel on all of the plays I could see.

As far as the low tackle numbers...Tampa only had the ball for 23 minutes and their RBs only had 11 total carries. I wouldn't be all that concerned about the low tackle numbers...there was not a lot of opportunity for the LBs to make tackles.

Also worthy of noting was Tulloch blitzed quite a bit and was very impressive doing it.

Washington: London Fletcher, Brian Orakpo, Rocky McIntosh
Jene, I'm sure you'll pick this up when you review games, but just wanted to point out that all 4 LBs (Kerrigan included) stayed on the field in nickle sets (Kerrigan's INT-TD came while they were in a nickle package).And if you don't mind noting, it seemed to me like all 4 of those guys played at least 90-95%, if not all, of the defensive snaps. The 'Skins stuck with their base 3-4 all game (other than nickle/dime sets; i.e. I don't think they showed any 4-3 looks, which is different from last year).

Need to review many of the 3-4 OLB situations more closely, but I wanted to get some thoughts up before the usual Wednesday update.

**Thomas Howard is playing the bulk of the nickel snaps over Manny Lawson.

**Scott Fujita is in the nickel ahead of Chris Gocong.

**Connor Barwin played almost every down, Brian Cushing sat when the Texans used dime.

**Ernie Sims was in the nickel with Gary Brackett early, then -- shockingly -- got injured. Adrian Moten played in the nickel after that. Hard to say what will happen if Gary Brackett (shoulder) and/or Sims is out for a length of time. I'd guess Angerer, but I thought he'd get a longer look this preseason and didn't.

**Daryl Smith played in nickel packages, but sat when Jacksonville used a dime, which happened frequently.

**Justin Houston getting close to making the list, but *I think* I saw a lot of Cameron Sheffield, too.

**James Farrior looked to be rotating with Larry Foote frequently.

**Lots of ILB rotation in Dallas, but I think the breakdown was around 95% Lee, 70% Brooking, 30% James, 5% Butler.

**Took the asterisks off of both DeAndre Levy and Stephen Tulloch. Not convinced that'll stick, but it's a good sign for Tulloch for sure.

**Scott Shanle got the most linebacker snaps other than Jonathan Vilma (base and 3-3-5), but Jonathan Casillas (3-3-5) and Will Herring (4-2-5) were busy enough.

**Greg Jones didn't play in any subpackages. When the Giants used nickel, Jacquian Williams was the second LB. Mathias Kiwanuka played DE in subpackages more often than not.

**Casey Matthews played in subpackages frequently, though Brian Rolle was in at times. Some of that had to do with no-huddle situations. We'll see if things change.

**KJ Wright played in most base situations. He was replaced in some base looks and all subpackage snaps by Matt McCoy.

**Ryan Kerrigan looks like an every-down player in Washington ( :thumbup: Sidewinder).

And, if it continues, I'll have to start a list of hybrid nickel LB/DB. This week, Bryan Scott, Darian Stewart, Jon McGraw saw lots of those snaps. Ronde Barber, Adrian Wilson and TJ Ward spent lots of time in the box in subpackages, and there are probably a handful of others I haven't noticed yet.

I'll update some of the 3-4 situations as the week progresses.

As far as the Lions' LBs: Levy and Tulloch were in the nickel on all of the plays I could see. As far as the low tackle numbers...Tampa only had the ball for 23 minutes and their RBs only had 11 total carries. I wouldn't be all that concerned about the low tackle numbers...there was not a lot of opportunity for the LBs to make tackles. Also worthy of noting was Tulloch blitzed quite a bit and was very impressive doing it.
Yeah it was a tough game for Det IDP. I saw a couple of plays where Durant (52?) was in the nickel with Tulloch not Levy. But most of the plays I saw it was Levy and Tulloch.

Jene

what happened to Casillas? He started out strong but seemed replaced by Shanle. Do you know what happened?

Jene what happened to Casillas? He started out strong but seemed replaced by Shanle. Do you know what happened?
casillas is a work in progress when it comes to coverage. as bad as shanle is in coverage - and he is kinda awful - he still is better than casillas at this point. the saints seemed to pull back from the man coverage needed for the blitzing in favor of more zone.

Washington: London Fletcher, Brian Orakpo, Rocky McIntosh
Jene, I'm sure you'll pick this up when you review games, but just wanted to point out that all 4 LBs (Kerrigan included) stayed on the field in nickle sets (Kerrigan's INT-TD came while they were in a nickle package).And if you don't mind noting, it seemed to me like all 4 of those guys played at least 90-95%, if not all, of the defensive snaps. The 'Skins stuck with their base 3-4 all game (other than nickle/dime sets; i.e. I don't think they showed any 4-3 looks, which is different from last year).
Just to follow up on this, Fletcher, McIntosh and Kerrigan did indeed play every defensive snap (from Ryan O'Halloran's weekly "Playing time" article). Orakpo only missed a few snaps due to an ankle injury.

Major changes from last week:

**The Texans used dime personnel as their primary subpackage last week, with Brian Cushing as the only ILB remaining on the field. Kubiak implied that it was a conditioning/injury issue for Ryans.

**Pat Angerer and Kavell Conner played every down with Gary Brackett and Ernie Sims out.

**Matt McCoy replaced David Hawthorne in nickel packages.

**Mason Foster saw time in nickel packages late last week after Quincy Black left with an injury.

They say Aaron Curry is being demoted for rookie KJ Wright at WILL. Any chance Wright gets a 3-down role? Or is it LB by committee at every spot in Seattle now?

'CataclysmicThunder said:
They say Aaron Curry is being demoted for rookie KJ Wright at WILL. Any chance Wright gets a 3-down role? Or is it LB by committee at every spot in Seattle now?
:popcorn:
I can make a case for Wright, Curry or Hawthorne to play every-down. My guess is that it's none of the above, but I'd handicap it as 30% Wright, 20% Hawthorne, 5% Curry.

Users who are viewing this thread