What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Dynasty Rookie Scouting Thread (1 Viewer)

sspunisher

Footballguy
Bit late for this, but I haven't seen a thread completely dedicated to this year's rookie class so I thought I'd start one up. Any and all discussion on rookies is welcome. Hopefully we can focus less on the elite rookies as there are plenty of individual threads going around on them.

Here's some random thoughts on some of the earlier picks, I'd like to get a bit deeper into the class eventually.

Lamar Miller: I see this guy getting ranked all over the place, but one interesting tidbit is that Reggie Bush's contract expires next year. I also wouldn't underestimate the regime change. Thomas isn't "Philbin's guy" so to speak. The shoulder injury and a cluttered backfield are legitimate concerns, but if he manages to stay healthy, that backfield can be wide open for the taking in 2013.

AJ Jenkins: Him and Miller are entering similar situations. Extremely cluttered WR Corps, but that can clear up significantly in 2013. I'm still hesitant about a WR from SF's offense as they are a run first team for now, but he seems to be getting undervalued considering he was a first round pick (even if it was a slight reach). I've heard him get compared to Reggie Wayne.

LaMichael James: Pretty much ditto with his teammate. Very cluttered backfield, and to be honest I was surprised at this pick considering Hunter showed some nice flashes last year. This might be more of an indication that Gore won't last in SF as long as we think, but Harbaugh's reason for picking James was a bit interesting, stating they had a hard time stopping him when he coached in college.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like AJ as a dynasty prospect. Crabtree isn't one of Harbaugh's guys and Moss only has a few years left, if he makes the roster. I think the long term idea for this regime is to have AJ and Manningham as the starters.

I'm worried Lamichael James will end up in a role similar to Reggie Bush in New Orleans. Prob has more value than the other backups since he's one of the picks of the Harbaugh regime.

I'm not sure about Miller. I think he was picked too late to be seen as the eventual full time starter. I think it's more likely that they'll pick up a second round running back at some point in the next two years rather than stick with Miller.

I'm not sure about Miller. I think he was picked too late to be seen as the eventual full time starter. I think it's more likely that they'll pick up a second round running back at some point in the next two years rather than stick with Miller.
:confused: Someone should tell the Texans that Foster shouldn't be their starter. If he has the ability he'll win the job.

Now whether or not he doesn't is an entirely different discussion. The reason you gave though is insane.

:confused: Someone should tell the Texans that Foster shouldn't be their starter. If he has the ability he'll win the job.

Now whether or not he doesn't is an entirely different discussion. The reason you gave though is insane.
He's the exception, not the rule.

Just because Miami didn't spend a high pick on Miller doesn't mean they don't think he's talented. Heck, they traded Marshall away. Bush is only signed through this season, so it's possible Miller gets significant touches as soon as next year. They even talked about giving him snaps at Wide Receiver.

I really like Jenkins. He accounted for over 55% of his team's receiving yards and TDs in college. Anything over 50% is elite territory and has a solid correlation.

Another guy I really like is David Wilson. People say he bounces everything outside. I rewatched his games and I don't see the problem. Not TRich level between the tackles, but very good nonetheless. Led the nation in YAC.

I also am bullish on Rueben Randle. Crowded for now, but NYG offense has proven they can support 3 WRs, and I think Randle is the most pro ready WR in this class and can easily be the best in 2 or 3 years. Especially considering Nicks is likely to miss time with injuries.

For all the love Quick is getting, I think Givens is the guy to own in STL. Much better in and out of breaks. Quick is a project WR, and I think Givens and Bradford will become quick friends.

Michael Turner was a 5th rounder. McCoy, Rice, and Gore were all 3rd rounders. Foster was a UFA. That's 5 of last year's top 7 rushers. Toss Darren Sproles onto that list while you're at it. RB isn't like LT or CB- there's a boatload of success stories after the first two rounds.

Michael Turner was a 5th rounder. McCoy, Rice, and Gore were all 3rd rounders. Foster was a UFA. That's 5 of last year's top 7 rushers. Toss Darren Sproles onto that list while you're at it. RB isn't like LT or CB- there's a boatload of success stories after the first two rounds.
2 of your 3rd rounders were taken in the 2nd round.

I read Nick Toon looked to be one of the more "pro ready" WRs in the draft. What are the chances he can make an impact this or next year?

I read Nick Toon looked to be one of the more "pro ready" WRs in the draft. What are the chances he can make an impact this or next year?
I remember hearing Payton gush about Adrian Arrington the past couple years. Seems like New Orleans takes it slow with their WRs so I doubt Toon would leapfrog Arrington but I'll admit I don't know much about either player, just that Arrington is somewhat of a Colston clone. Meachem is gone though so those targets have to go somewhere.

2 of the best fantasy football players ever (although careers were cut short by injury): Terrell Davis (6th round), Priest Holmes (UDFA)There is no rule when it comes to RB's, they come from everywhere...

I remember hearing Payton gush about Adrian Arrington the past couple years. Seems like New Orleans takes it slow with their WRs so I doubt Toon would leapfrog Arrington but I'll admit I don't know much about either player, just that Arrington is somewhat of a Colston clone. Meachem is gone though so those targets have to go somewhere.
Joe Morgan getting hype lately as well

Users who are viewing this thread