What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Mid Atlantic FBG's Auction League (1 Viewer)

Thanks Fear. I see we did a roster of 16 under a 250 cap last year when we planned to have 14 teams planned. Any changes to that, particularly if we get 15 or 16 teams?
16 x $250 okay with everyone?
If we end up with 15 or 16 teams, I think I'd definitely decrease roster size by 1 (and maybe even 2) to keep the free agent pool interesting.
:goodposting:
I agree.

I'll be there for the draft...Please confirm time and location again so I can pull down directions.thanks!
Great. Welcome back. We're up to 15 and awaiting a response from mroberts or Bender.We'll go on Sunday, August 12th, at the GrillMarx Restaurant, which is located at 18149 Village Center Drive, Olney, MD 20832. We are looking to start at 12:00.

I'll be there for the draft...Please confirm time and location again so I can pull down directions.thanks!
Great. Welcome back. We're up to 15 and awaiting a response from mroberts or Bender.We'll go on Sunday, August 12th, at the GrillMarx Restaurant, which is located at 18149 Village Center Drive, Olney, MD 20832. We are looking to start at 12:00.
Brother Turtle, I need to meet up with you chop chop.

I'll be there for the draft...

Please confirm time and location again so I can pull down directions.

thanks!
Bender is out due to a wedding that week, while MrRoberts hasn't logged in for nearly two months. I e-mailed this guy, per his request awhile back; http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=629434&view=findpost&p=14028769

I've got a very solid local guy as well. Helluva player, too. I reserve the right to keep his identity secret until Draft Day. Good guy for the members of this group to know...just need the green light!

I've got a very solid local guy as well. Helluva player, too. I reserve the right to keep his identity secret until Draft Day. Good guy for the members of this group to know...just need the green light!
Green light. That gets us to 16.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem is - the wedding is in Boston.

I'll be nowhere near the draft location.

I'm free pretty much any other weekend (other than Labor Day weekend).

I'll have to stay as a definite NO this year :sadbanana:

Not to start an argument (though that's basically what I do in life) but if the adherents of this game were as die hard as some other hobbyists were about their hobbies, Labor Day weekend is when all the auctions and drafts would happen. It's at the perfect time in relation to the season and it's almost like the United States government gave us a day off for it.

In 20 years, I haven't had an auction on Labor Day weekend.

Problem is - the wedding is in Boston.I'll be nowhere near the draft location.I'm free pretty much any other weekend (other than Labor Day weekend).I'll have to stay as a definite NO this year :sadbanana:
No sweat, we're at 16 with nittany's 2nd buddy anyway. We'll look out for you next year.

Looks like we're back down to 15 as neither of the Express boys can make the 12th.
Do we have any resolution yet on the number of teams for this season? Can we have a deadline of Wed. or Thur. night for finalizing the number of owners, roster size, amount of $ for bidding, etc., so we can do some planning before the draft on Sunday?

If we have an uneven # of Teams, we go with 'League Average' as in the past...

If we're going by WCOFF Rules, # of starters and Roster size is already done for us, no? If not, whether it's 8, 16 or any # of Teams in between, Rosters should be minimum 2X # of Starters...

I think the waiver wire is the least important part of the League. Larger Rosters/shallow waiver wire encourages trading and interaction between League Members...I think that's important, and something we need more of (trades AND interaction), hell, we all live in the general area. Theoretically, you could meet someone over a few beers to craft a deal. That's a good thing...

I like larger rosters, and as everyone knows, MORE $$$ at the Auction. If I had my druthers, we'd all open with a $400 bank...

...HIP HIP HOORAY!!!

That's my .02, and I'm stickin' to it!

If we have an uneven # of Teams, we go with 'League Average' as in the past...If we're going by WCOFF Rules, # of starters and Roster size is already done for us, no? If not, whether it's 8, 16 or any # of Teams in between, Rosters should be minimum 2X # of Starters...I think the waiver wire is the least important part of the League. Larger Rosters/shallow waiver wire encourages trading and interaction between League Members...I think that's important, and something we need more of (trades AND interaction), hell, we all live in the general area. Theoretically, you could meet someone over a few beers to craft a deal. That's a good thing...I like larger rosters, and as everyone knows, MORE $$$ at the Auction. If I had my druthers, we'd all open with a $400 bank......HIP HIP HOORAY!!!That's my .02, and I'm stickin' to it!
Fear the Turtle is on vacation, but says he'll be checking e-mail, and I need to e-mail him so I'll pass this thread along to him so maybe he'll chime in. No one is bandying about a candidate for the 16th team, so it sounds like we are at 15 teams, and I believe the 250 salary cap is set. The only question is roster size. We did 16 when we were planning on 14 teams last year, so my suggestion is 15 man rosters with 15 teams. We'll be dipping 17 players deeper into the pool than last year with the 13 teams.

After looking back at rosters last year, I now think that reducing roster size to 15 while requiring 9 starters would be difficult. If we stick with the same # of starters, I'd be in favor of keeping roster size at 16. Even that roster size was difficult for those of use who suffered through serious injuries to 2 or more of the studs we drafted.

If we have an uneven # of Teams, we go with 'League Average' as in the past... I for one don't like playing the 'League Average' as this can create an unlevel playing field for teams facing the Average in non-bye weeks and such. I would rather schedule a random bye week for each team or play two H2H games each week and eliminate the Average...

If we're going by WCOFF Rules, # of starters and Roster size is already done for us, no? If not, whether it's 8, 16 or any # of Teams in between, Rosters should be minimum 2X # of Starters... 15 teams X 18 players (9 start X 2)is 270 players rostered. That's a lot to draft in an auction. I would suggest we keep the rosters at 16 like last year and we can discuss expanding rosters to 18 via waivers starting with the bye weeks. How about $250 for the initial draft and then all teams get an addition $100 for bidding during the season?

I think the waiver wire is the least important part of the League. Larger Rosters/shallow waiver wire encourages trading and interaction between League Members...I think that's important, and something we need more of (trades AND interaction), hell, we all live in the general area. Theoretically, you could meet someone over a few beers to craft a deal. That's a good thing... I agree that encouraging trading within the league is important but for many of the league this is a low maintenance league since line-ups are automatically set.

I like larger rosters, and as everyone knows, MORE $$$ at the Auction. If I had my druthers, we'd all open with a $400 bank... I could see this provided each owner walked away with the balance to use during in-season waivers but again some teams might blow through the entire bank at the auction and not care about in-season waiver bidding.

...HIP HIP HOORAY!!!

That's my .02, and I'm stickin' to it!

I'm on vacation and, unfortunately, my easy link to the internet (my daughter's Sam. Strat.) has been dropped and rendered useless.

As it stands now, we're at 15 teams. My vote is to keep the auction bankroll at $250 and the roster size at 16. At least a few guys have expressed a similar opinion. When ravnz pipes in he can lock it down one way or another.

Is someone providing projector and screen? I have the auction equipment, thanks in part to a Herculean last-minute effort by gb Turtle.

I'm on vacation and, unfortunately, my easy link to the internet (my daughter's Sam. Strat.) has been dropped and rendered useless.As it stands now, we're at 15 teams. My vote is to keep the auction bankroll at $250 and the roster size at 16. At least a few guys have expressed a similar opinion. When ravnz pipes in he can lock it down one way or another.
Fine across the board with me.

I just wanted to add myself to this thread. I'm one of the newbies this year. John Sullivan brought me on board. Looking forward to the draft on Sunday.

Rick VanGorder

Is someone providing projector and screen? I have the auction equipment, thanks in part to a Herculean last-minute effort by gb Turtle.
How did we handle this last year?
FTT brings a projector from work. Hope he can do it being on vacation this week. One of you guys brought in a big white board that we perched precariously against the mirror. It's a miracle we didn't wipe out a whole table full of sammiches.

Oh, yeah, that was my buddy, Jeff...he's in North Carolina this week...leaving early Sunday AM so he can be on time for the Draft. Dedication. I'll see what's up.

Big White Board is secured for Sunday. Buddy Jeff (XOS) would prefer if we delay start time to 12:30 PM, as he's driving up from NC, but he'll make do as needed.

Oh, and I have a 16th!

Big White Board is secured for Sunday. Buddy Jeff (XOS) would prefer if we delay start time to 12:30 PM, as he's driving up from NC, but he'll make do as needed.Oh, and I have a 16th!
I don't have any problem starting at 12:30, as long as we can actually start at that time. That should give the technical crew more time to set up and make sure we are good to go for the scheduled start time.Are we going to be offered the kind of deal for food and drinks that we received last year? :thumbup:

My recollection is that a few people use computers during the auction, but that there is likely a space (and maybe an electrical capacity) limit to the venue, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
My recollection is that a few people use computers during the auction, but that there is likely a space (and maybe an electrical capacity) limit to the venue, correct?
I bring an extension cord and power strip but I think the auction gear and projector suck up most of the outlets on it.

Same deal on food and drinks, as far as I know...I put that in place today...IIRC, we had chicken tenders, mini burgers, caesar salad and spinach and cheese dip, along with bottomless draft beer and soda, for $20/man...if anyone can think of anything missing from that, please let me know...were bottled beers included, or any other kind of food?

Same deal on food and drinks, as far as I know...I put that in place today...IIRC, we had chicken tenders, mini burgers, caesar salad and spinach and cheese dip, along with bottomless draft beer and soda, for $20/man...if anyone can think of anything missing from that, please let me know...were bottled beers included, or any other kind of food?
I recall having fries with the chicken tenders and burgers last year.... not much of a rabbit :)

I recall having fries with the chicken tenders and burgers last year.... not much of a rabbit :)
and I recall a cute hostess or two... :thumbup:

and I recall a cute hostess or two... :thumbup:
I don't believe that they were part of the $20 cover charge...

So we are going with...

$250 budget

16 owners

16 roster spots

1 QB

2 RB

3 WR

1 TE

1 R/W/T flex

1 Defense

No kicker

Staggered PPR (0.5/1/1.5)

Correct?

I'm not trying to rock the boat, but here's how I feel.

I'm all for no PK, I just can't remember how we arrived at that decision...

I love the idea of being able to flex QB, would like to see that return. Doesn't matter that we have 16 Teams and there's QB scarcity. You don't HAVE to flex QB, it's just one of many options. Scoring system makes all positions relatively equal in value.

I'm for 10 Starters and 18-20 man Rosters. Add a 2nd Flex, and bidding on 16-32 additional players isn't going to appreciably lengthen the auction. Besides, it's Auction Day. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that given where we draw the Ownership Pool from, we take this game/hobby seriously enough that everyone and everything gets put on the back burner on Draft Day. At least I hope so...

I'm for more $$$ to bid with. Perhaps someone can explain to me why $250 is enough, because I just don't see it. Too many players going for $1-2 at the end who have an appreciable difference.

Increasing Roster size and increasing $$$ will positively affect this. 10 Starters / 18 Man Rosters / $400 Cap, but I'd settle for $300 or more if the majority agreed to it.

good to see everyone checking in/confirmed for our auction tomorrow @GrillMarx...cudos to JohnnyNittnay for securing the facility AND grub for the day---I love this draft each year, and am glad to see it maturing as we move from yr to yr

to answer a couple questions I've seen along the way:

as close as we try to nail down the # of teams, we can't be totally sure until we see who shows...my nephew Michael (Paine Plan) is IN, while my buddy Bruce Mac is 50/50 @this point---I'll check w/him in the morning and will know when I get to the site, around 11 or so

Jeff's summary 1 post above on lineup/scoring is what we're shooting for...

we try to keep the player pool in the 260-275 area, so that there is ample WW activity week-to-week, so sorry nittnay---no 16 owner/20 player auction...my belief w/this group is we keep rosters tight so as to not have every RB3 and WR5 of every NFL teams rostered in our league---we play w/some of the best FF players in the area, so no uber deep benches here!

we 'flexed' the QB a couple yrs ago when we had 9 teams in the league---don't want to go that way w/12-16 teams...we axed the Kicker last yr--- "f'him, he's just a Kicker!" ---rather than burn a roster spot and use WW $$$ to handle that position

I have not set up the league site yet for this season--will try to have a link and 'rules summary' for everyone tomorrow @the auction

I'll check back in tonight before a concert a bunch of us are headed to(Boston & Kansas for you older farts!), and will check back in around 9 tomorrow before I leave, in case there are any other questions

Roadkill & I should be there by 11:30 tomorrow to give us time to get everything setup. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

I'm not trying to rock the boat, but here's how I feel.I'm all for no PK, I just can't remember how we arrived at that decision...I love the idea of being able to flex QB, would like to see that return. Doesn't matter that we have 16 Teams and there's QB scarcity. You don't HAVE to flex QB, it's just one of many options. Scoring system makes all positions relatively equal in value.I'm for 10 Starters and 18-20 man Rosters. Add a 2nd Flex, and bidding on 16-32 additional players isn't going to appreciably lengthen the auction. Besides, it's Auction Day. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that given where we draw the Ownership Pool from, we take this game/hobby seriously enough that everyone and everything gets put on the back burner on Draft Day. At least I hope so...I'm for more $$$ to bid with. Perhaps someone can explain to me why $250 is enough, because I just don't see it. Too many players going for $1-2 at the end who have an appreciable difference.Increasing Roster size and increasing $$$ will positively affect this. 10 Starters / 18 Man Rosters / $400 Cap, but I'd settle for $300 or more if the majority agreed to it.
I'd be very much against flexed QB in a 16 tem league. SCarcity is NOT equivalent in that case....Flexed QBs would make QBs far too valuable, IMHO.

If you check in here tonight or tomorrow, give me your team name so I can load it up before I get to the pub. It really helps to be able to do a lot of this in advance. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread