What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Closers (1 Viewer)

ceo3west

Footballguy
List of closers as of 2/14 in no particluar order. Obviously a very volatile position so let's keep track of updates here.Kimbrel, Craig ATLBroxton, Jonathan CINPapelbon, Jonathan PHISoriano, Rafael WASMotte, Jason STLRodney, Fernando TBRivera, Mariano NYYJohnson, Jim BALWilhelmsen, Tom SEAAxford, John MILNathan, Joe TEXHanrahan, Joel BOSRomo, Sergio SFPerez, Chris CLEHolland, Greg KCPerkins, Glen MINCook, Ryan OAKStreet, Huston SDRondon, Bruce DETPutz, J.J. ARILeague, Brandon LADReed, Addison CHWFrieri, Ernesto LAACishek, Steve MIAGrilli, Jason PITMarmol, Carlos CHCJanssen, Casey TORParnell, Bobby NYMVeras, Jose HOUBetancourt, Rafael COL

Grant Balfour undergoing knee surgery. Out 4-6 weeks.Bump for Ryan Cook or maybe Sean Doolittle

Leyland was asked if the closer spot was 22-year-old rookie Bruce Rondon’s job to lose.“No, it’s not like that,” Leyland said. “I’m going to look at all my options, and hopefully I’ll make a decision."But I doubt anyone will be anointed the closer out of spring training. It might happen, but I doubt it. It’s a front-burner thing that is on the back-burner.”It’s a big decision, but Leyland doesn’t have to make it until the Tigers take the lead into the bottom of the ninth inning of a game in the opening series at Minnesota.“I’m not going to put that kind of pressure on the kid,” Leyland said. “I’m not going to set it now.”Leyland rattled off the names of Joaquin Benoit, Octavio Dotel, Phil Coke, Al Alburquerque and Brayan Villarreal as possibilities beyond Rondon.

From faketeams.com:

The Tigers appear to have seen enough of closer prospect Bruce Rondon and are looking to trade for a closer. Candidates include Cubs closer Carlos Marmol, Red Sox set up man Andrew Bailey and Nationals set up guy Drew Storen. Manager Jim Leyland hinted that starter Rick Porcello could close as well. I don't see that happening, and see them dealing Porcello at some point.Speaking of Marmol, I heard an interview with a Chicago sports radio personality on SiriusXM Fantasy channel last night, and he was sold on the idea that Marmol will be traded before the season starts. Kyuji Fujikawa's value will skyrocket as a result.

Janssen not yet 100% but still expected to be opening day closer for the Jays. I think Santos will be a factor at some point.
Watching this situation like a hawk. He hasn't pitched in any games yet so Im a little nervous t pull the trigger on a deal.

If the Tigers dont make a move for a closer how do you think the saves will be allocated?

I keep hearing Benoit and Coke as the real options, but Benoit wasn't good in fill in duty last year and Coke being a lefty..... Isn't Dotel the better option?

If the Tigers dont make a move for a closer how do you think the saves will be allocated?

I keep hearing Benoit and Coke as the real options, but Benoit wasn't good in fill in duty last year and Coke being a lefty..... Isn't Dotel the better option?
This isn't true, Benoit got very few opportunities and not enough to make a true determination. Benoit is best fitted for the 8th however and he seems to be more comfortable in that role. Al Al is too wild IMO, so I think Coke will get the most looks early on with Villarreal being the real sleeper to get some chances and have success.

Closer Grid as of 3/22:

Code:
Closer			First			SecondArizona		J.J. Putz		David Hernandez		Heath BellAtlanta		Craig Kimbrel		Eric O’Flaherty		Jonny VentersBaltimore	Jim Johnson		Pedro Strop		Darren O’DayBoston		Joel Hanrahan		Andrew Bailey		Koji UeharaCHI (NL)	Carlos Marmol		Kyuji Fujikawa		Shawn CampCHI (AL)	Addison Reed		Matt Lindstrom		Matt ThorntonCincy		Aroldis Chapman		Jonathan Broxton	Sean MarshallCleveland	Chris Perez		Vinnie Pestano		Joe SmithColorado	Rafael Betancourt	Matt Belisle		Wilton LopezDetroit		Bruce Rondon		Joaquin Benoit		Phil CokeHouston		Jose Veras		Wesley Wright		Hector AmbrizKC		Greg Holland		Kelvin Herrera		Tim CollinsLAA		Ernesto Frieri		Scott Downs		Ryan MadsonLAD		Brandon League		Kenley Jansen		Ronald BelisarioMiami		Steve Cishek		Ryan Webb		Mike DunnMilwaukee	John Axford		Jim Henderson		Michael GonzalezMinnesota	Glen Perkins		Jared Burton		Casey FienNY (NL)		Frank Francisco		Bobby Parnell		Brandon LyonNY (AL)		Mariano Rivera		David Robertson		Joba ChamberlainOakland		Grant Balfour		Ryan Cook		Sean DoolittlePhilly		Jonathan Papelbon	Antonio Bastardo	Mike AdamsPittsburgh	Jason Grilli		Mark Melancon		Bryan MorrisSt. Louis	Jason Motte		Mitchell Boggs		Trevor RosenthalSD		Huston Street		Luke Gregerson		Dale ThayerSF		Sergio Romo		Santiago Casilla	Jeremy AffeldtSeattle		Tom Wilhelmsen		Charlie Furbush		Carter CappsTB		Fernando Rodney		Joel Peralta		Jake McGeeTexas		Joe Nathan		Jason Frasor		Tanner ScheppersToronto		Casey Janssen		Sergio Santos		Darren OliverWash.		Rafael Soriano		Drew Storen		Tyler Clippard

Motte heading to the DL with a "mild" elbow strain, Boggs named interim closer. I'd be worried if I owned Motte right now.

Jannsen is a better pitcher than Santos. Can't see them making a move unless he is hurt or really stinking it up

Does Madson get the job back when he is healthy?
I've made a bet that he doesn't. It's based on Madson probably needing longer than expected to recover from surgery and Frieri being highly effective. I know they threw a bunch of money at Madson to close, but the reality if the situation tells me that Frieri has a good chance to keep the job.

Does Madson get the job back when he is healthy?
I've made a bet that he doesn't. It's based on Madson probably needing longer than expected to recover from surgery and Frieri being highly effective. I know they threw a bunch of money at Madson to close, but the reality if the situation tells me that Frieri has a good chance to keep the job.
Anaheim's contract w/ Madson isn't that big. A lot of the money is tied up in incentives for finishing games and being on the active roster for a given number of days.He has a long way to go to prove he's recovered from his elbow problems. Scioscia has shown in the past he's more willing to change closers than backup catchers. But Frieri has the job now and has the opportunity to run with it.

Which non-closer will you guys be targeting in hopes of falling into the closers role either via injury or demotion of the closer?

:banned:

Which non-closer will you guys be targeting in hopes of falling into the closers role either via injury or demotion of the closer?

:banned:
From a pure age/recent injury history, I think you have to look at David Robertson
And he's coming cheap, too. People are enamored with Jansen when I think Robertson has as good or better chance to be the closer for the Yankees by season's end. I mean, Mariano is 43 for goodness sake, and now he's reportedly suffering from migraines.

Fujikawa is the correct answer here. The Cubs have already told Marmol's agent to expect a trade, and Fuji is in line to close as soon as that happens. Jansen has the best stuff of the setup men, but the Dodgers committed 3 years to League if I'm not mistaken.

Other candidates I'd be looking at are Soria (for the same reason as some are looking at Robertson in NY, cause Nathan is old), and Vinnie Pestano in Cleveland for when they fall out of contention and deal Chris Perez

Last edited by a moderator:
Fujikawa is the correct answer here. The Cubs have already told Marmol's agent to expect a trade, and Fuji is in line to close as soon as that happens. Jansen has the best stuff of the setup men, but the Dodgers committed 3 years to League if I'm not mistaken.Other candidates I'd be looking at are Soria (for the same reason as some are looking at Robertson in NY, cause Nathan is old), and Vinnie Pestano in Cleveland for when they fall out of contention and deal Chris Perez
Also I know a lot of people love Greg Holland for his K ability, but the 1.39 WHIP and the horrible BB rate scare me a ton. Kelvin Herrera could be the guy before the end of the year IMO.

Jannsen is a better pitcher than Santos. Can't see them making a move unless he is hurt or really stinking it up
Yep. Santos is not very good. People don't seem to realize this for some reason.
his 2011 season was good...even very good. :shrug:
Dig deeper. He got pretty lucky.
There's no doubt Santos has better stuff than Janssen, but at this point Janssen is a better pitcher. Janssen has decent strike out stuff, but Santos will get more whiffs. Janssen has better control of his breaking stuff and really doesn't walk anyone at all. Santos is a lot more wild but his slider is back and likely has more upside considering he was a shortstop 4 years ago, whereas Janssen converted to the bullpen after a season starting for the Jays.I think it's still an unstable situation. This afternoon Janssen was topping out around 87-88, where he was in the low-90s last year, so you have to wonder if he is completely healthy or not. On the other hand, Janssen threw 10 pitches this afternoon, 9 strikes, 1 ball, 3 strikeouts, so he was incredibly effective even missing some velocity.

Fujikawa is the correct answer here. The Cubs have already told Marmol's agent to expect a trade, and Fuji is in line to close as soon as that happens. Jansen has the best stuff of the setup men, but the Dodgers committed 3 years to League if I'm not mistaken.Other candidates I'd be looking at are Soria (for the same reason as some are looking at Robertson in NY, cause Nathan is old), and Vinnie Pestano in Cleveland for when they fall out of contention and deal Chris Perez
Also I know a lot of people love Greg Holland for his K ability, but the 1.39 WHIP and the horrible BB rate scare me a ton. Kelvin Herrera could be the guy before the end of the year IMO.
Agreed - I thought Herrera was "close" 2 years ago and last year I thought for sure he'd take over the role. It has to be this year - he's filthy.

Agreed - I thought Herrera was "close" 2 years ago and last year I thought for sure he'd take over the role. It has to be this year - he's filthy.
Putting your best reliever in the closer role isn't necessarily the best thing for the ballclub.

What do you guys see for Aroldis Chapman now that he's officially the closer?

Projections? Rank? Wondering if he can be a sneaky grab in a draft tonight.

Putting your best reliever in the closer role isn't necessarily the best thing for the ballclub.
try telling that to major league managers

What do you guys see for Aroldis Chapman now that he's officially the closer?Projections? Rank? Wondering if he can be a sneaky grab in a draft tonight.
I dont know about sneaky unless guys just arent paying attention. Goes near the top of the list imo

What do you guys see for Aroldis Chapman now that he's officially the closer?Projections? Rank? Wondering if he can be a sneaky grab in a draft tonight.
I dont know about sneaky unless guys just arent paying attention. Goes near the top of the list imo
This is more than laid back, hoping a few guys missed the news and I can grab him after half the league (4-5/10) takes a RP depending on spot. If not, any suggestions for mid-later RP's in a 5x5? VERY limited transactions during the year so may not be able to pick up guys as they step up during the year.

This is more than laid back, hoping a few guys missed the news and I can grab him after half the league (4-5/10) takes a RP depending on spot. If not, any suggestions for mid-later RP's in a 5x5? VERY limited transactions during the year so may not be able to pick up guys as they step up during the year.
Grilli and janssen are both good pitchers that should thrive in the closer role.

Users who are viewing this thread