What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Every-Down Linebacker Thread (1 Viewer)

Are we still assuming that Bostic is only a two down guy? Even if he is, could he become a three down LB a bit later in the year and break out like Wagner last year?
He's been coming out during nickle snaps all preseason, I doubt that changes quickly

NYG: Spencer Paysinger has been all over the place making plays and seems to be the favorite for that WLB spot from what I've seen this preseason and from camp reports. Not sure how FF relevant he will be though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we still assuming that Bostic is only a two down guy? Even if he is, could he become a three down LB a bit later in the year and break out like Wagner last year?
He's been coming out during nickle snaps all preseason, I doubt that changes quickly
Except DJ Williams wasn't playing and it was really James Anderson and Lance Briggs on the field on nickle snaps? :shrug:

I hope you are right, because I drafted Bostic over all three of the other Bear LB's in the Goid on Roids league.

What's the story in Houston? Does Daryl sharpton have value. Did he secure a starting gig? 2 or 3 downs? Also does j. Williams have a starting spot for NYG. Again 2 or 3 downs. Not much info out there on these 2 guys. Anyone have any insight?

What's the story in Houston? Does Daryl sharpton have value. Did he secure a starting gig? 2 or 3 downs? Also does j. Williams have a starting spot for NYG. Again 2 or 3 downs. Not much info out there on these 2 guys. Anyone have any insight?
I haven't paid close attention to the ILB usage, but I'd think Mays is probably the starter beside Cushing. I won't be surprised (read that as "hope") that they'll take Mays of the field for Dobbins in nickel, but I didn't really watch to see if that happened.

Has this thing been updated?
Maybe he can't update the free stuff anymore, over the past few years he has always kept these posts updated. He still has LB'ers listed on teams and they don't even play for those teams anymore.

A few updates, Paysinger looks to have won the WLB spot for the Giants over Williams, which should be a good but not great scoring spot. Schofield will not be starting or playing any downs for Arizona, since he plays for Seattle. Danny Trevathan is now the starting WLB for Denver and Woodyard is playing in the middle, this will be for at least 6 weeks while Von is suspended. Baltimore, Daryl Smith is playing the Ray Lewis spot and will make the defensive calls and most likely lead the team in tackles. I am guessing they work Brown into a more substantial role rotating with Josh Bynes to start off. Pat Angerer will be starting again next to Freeman for Indy and most likely will be a 3 down LB'er. As it stands now, Moises Fokou looks like the starting MLB'er for Tenn, he is a career back-up/role player guy, not sure how long this lasts, maybe until McCarthy can stay healthy long enough to take it back.

That is the stuff I am fairly confident in, obviously I am not in the "know" like Jene, but I follow a lot of the beat writers from each team and that is where a lot of this comes from.

I will be updating the thread during the season as usual. I updated the list with extended commentary in the RTD columns multiple times this preseason but didn't transfer updates to this thread, or the podcast link thread, as often as I had planned.

I'll add a projection update to my list of things to do this week. Thanks.

NY Giants released a very funky depth chart that included people not even on the active roster in some spots...

And that included Connor over Herzlich as well.

SLB Keith Rivers

MLB Dan Connor Mark Herzlich

WLB Spencer Paysinger Jacquian Williams

New York Giants: [Mark Herzlich, Keith Rivers, Jacquian Williams]

NY Giants released a very funky depth chart that included people not even on the active roster in some spots...

SLB Keith Rivers

very interesting, Rivers is the only guy I would trust right now

Per beat writers, Williams is a stud and if not for an early camp injury would be atop the DC. Fred Davis, Whitten, Ertz...they will need Williams on the field and words like "star" has described some of his time on the field. I see Wagner, Woodley, Freeman, etc...and his profile fits as extreme athleticism.

SLB Keith Rivers

very interesting, Rivers is the only guy I would trust right now
Why not Paysinger?

Per beat writers, Williams is a stud and if not for an early camp injury would be atop the DC. Fred Davis, Whitten, Ertz...they will need Williams on the field and words like "star" has described some of his time on the field. I see Wagner, Woodley, Freeman, etc...and his profile fits as extreme athleticism.
Williams isnt even a starter, and as of reports right now only Paysinger is playing 3 downs?

"Williams isnt even a starter"...yep, wait until he's a starter like people did with Woodyard, Freeman and even JPP. Damontre Moore is not a starter, but he lines up across JPP and he'll be fun to watch. I'm a Redskins fan, so none of this gives me joy, but some guys look different and Moore/Williams has athleticism many do not.

This is dynasty or real deep IDP redraft talk or if one has a big week 3, don't "wait" to confirm bc the potential is obvious. Plus, how many of these "athletes" do the Giants have to pluck for us to give some cred. I have Damario Davis in dynasty bc in our Rk draft '12, I thought, "if Rex says he can play MILB, then I'll give him a shot".

"Williams isnt even a starter"...yep, wait until he's a starter like people did with Woodyard, Freeman and even JPP. Damontre Moore is not a starter, but he lines up across JPP and he'll be fun to watch. I'm a Redskins fan, so none of this gives me joy, but some guys look different and Moore/Williams has athleticism many do not.
Williams doesnt look the part to me?

Guess we will see what the future holds but im not buying.

This is dynasty or real deep IDP redraft talk or if one has a big week 3, don't "wait" to confirm bc the potential is obvious. Plus, how many of these "athletes" do the Giants have to pluck for us to give some cred. I have Damario Davis in dynasty bc in our Rk draft '12, I thought, "if Rex says he can play MILB, then I'll give him a shot".
And all i play is dynasty w/ full IDP, so believe me when i tell you i dont wait on guys, i drafted Davis in a couple leagues based on the good Drs. advice, not on something Rex said, got Bowman the same way.

See your new, so ill give you a heads up, follow Jene Bramels writeups, tiers, advice, ect. and it will have you 10 steps ahead of your competition.

First post is updated...

Lots of unclear situations after the third and fourth preseason weeks, so this is my best guess. I'll have a full update next week after watching every game.

A few key things to note below if you've not had a chance to catch the offseason commentary or podcasts...I'll flesh out other areas if you there are questions.

**Arthur Brown is a subpackage only player at this point, but that's a very good sign his time is coming.

**Nigel Bradham has played in most subpackages, but Mike Pettine wouldn't commit earlier this week even after Bryan Scott was cut.

**Emmanuel Lamur is done for the year, but the Bengals are apparently coaching Taylor Mays up to take Lamur's place in the nickel.

**Danny Trevathan will play every down while Von Miller serves out his suspension.

**Joe Mays was on the field a lot in the third preseason game, but that may not last.

**Pat Angerer played every down and looked good in the third week. Kavell Conner and Kelvin Sheppard look like reserves at this point.

**Brandon Spikes is healthy and looking very good on all downs.

**Moise Fokou has won the MLB job and played nickel snaps this preseason.

**Jasper Brinkley played nickel snaps this preseason. I'm skeptical that will continue even with Daryl Washington out.

**Akeem Dent was a nickel backer early, but the Falcons took a long look at Joplo Bartu later in the preseason.

**Thomas Davis is a heavy favorite to play every down early, but the team wants to give Jon Beason a look in some situations.

**DJ Williams and Jon Bostic will rotate at MLB, James Anderson will probably stick in the nickel for now.

**Desmond Bishop, playing OLB, is getting snaps with the first team nickel in practice, but it's Henderson's job right now.

**David Hawthorne may see lots of subpackage snaps, but I'm not certain of anything with the Saints outside Curtis Lofton.

**Spencer Paysinger will likely see the most snaps for the Giants.

**Mason Foster's situation is essentially unchanged from a year ago. In the nickel, but out in long passing situations for a DB.

I started this "personality" of a post and I shouldn't have said, "you can't wait..." blah, blah, blah. I just like speculating on guys like Williams, Reynolds, Mayowa, etc...just to say, "I got'em early".

Wow, Jene Bremel has passed Rex Ryan in the LB evaluation dept (this is being funny and totally complementary). Yes, it's about the snaps at this point. Yes, I am new...here. I subscribe to give Bremel and the guys support bc they are 100% dedicated and passionate. There's alot of people making money for re-posting his type of work, so I figured its time to anti-up the dough. The podcast is worth money, 100%. Sorry if I came across being an ###.

And all i play is dynasty w/ full IDP, so believe me when i tell you i dont wait on guys, i drafted Davis in a couple leagues based on the good Drs. advice, not on something Rex said, got Bowman the same way.

See your new, so ill give you a heads up, follow Jene Bramels writeups, tiers, advice, ect. and it will have you 10 steps ahead of your competition.
:moneybag: + :welcome:

Just a heads up, buck56 is a vet here and one of the best IDP players I know. When he talks, I listen. More importantly, MaineSkin... his advice bolded above is the best you will get as long as you are on FBG's.

Jene Bramel is worth the subscription by himself. In addition to being an MD and therefore extremely helpful breaking down injury situations for those of us who couldn't get into medical school... he is the best IDP analyst in the business (and there isn't a close second).

You'll find a slew of followers here who credit too many championships to count to Jene.

What's the word on Bostic? Can I start him as a LB4/Flex play over say Mario Williams? My other DE's are Justin Smith (Packers give up sacks) and Chris Long (going against horrible O-Line with Palmer being a statue). It's either Mario or Bostic for my flex. Thoughts?

I played with Cameron "Derek" Wake at DeMatha HS before he went to PSU, so I know talent, ok? LMFAO, just kidding guys. Look I really didnt mean to start this type of talk on this thread. I learn from everyone and probably mis-guide most. Everything you say I agree with and I hope this post doesn't attach "arrogance" to MaineSkin. Any thoughts on Reynolds Jac LB and Meyowa Sea DE?

I played with Cameron "Derek" Wake at DeMatha HS before he went to PSU, so I know talent, ok? LMFAO, just kidding guys. Look I really didnt mean to start this type of talk on this thread. I learn from everyone and probably mis-guide most. Everything you say I agree with and I hope this post doesn't attach "arrogance" to MaineSkin. Any thoughts on Reynolds Jac LB and Meyowa Sea DE?
Not at all... again, welcome.

Just a heads up, buck56 is a vet here and one of the best IDP players I know. When he talks, I listen. More importantly, MaineSkin... his advice bolded above is the best you well get as long as you are on FBG's.

Jene Bramel is worth the subscription by himself. In addition to being an MD and therefore extremely helpful breaking down injury situations for those of us who couldn't get into medical school... he is the best IDP analyst in the business (and there isn't a close second).

You'll find a slew of followers here who credit too many championships to count to Jene.
the guru is probably gonna have your account banned, now

J Giles Band said:
buck56 said:

Just a heads up, buck56 is a vet here and one of the best IDP players I know. When he talks, I listen. More importantly, MaineSkin... his advice bolded above is the best you will get as long as you are on FBG's.

Thanks for the kudos JGB!!!

MaineSkin said:
I started this "personality" of a post and I shouldn't have said, "you can't wait..." blah, blah, blah. I just like speculating on guys like Williams, Reynolds, Mayowa, etc...just to say, "I got'em early".

Wow, Jene Bremel has passed Rex Ryan in the LB evaluation dept (this is being funny and totally complementary). Yes, it's about the snaps at this point. Yes, I am new...here. I subscribe to give Bremel and the guys support bc they are 100% dedicated and passionate. There's alot of people making money for re-posting his type of work, so I figured its time to anti-up the dough. The podcast is worth money, 100%. Sorry if I came across being an ###.
You didnt offend me MS, welcome aboard! :hey:

First post updated...

**Arthur Brown played very little, but wouldn't think Josh Bynes plays 90% of snaps for long

**Bills used DaNorris Searcy and Arthur Moats over Nigel Bradham

**Tank Carder played some snaps for Craig Robertson

**Geno Hayes played nickel snaps, but I think Russell Allen returns to that role soon

**Brandon Spikes lasted two snaps as an every-down guy before leaving with dehydration and rotating

**Doubt the Steelers want to use Kion Wilson every down, but they are thin there, will be watching Vince Williams

**Bront Bird sat in dime situations but was close to every-down player

**Jasper Brinkley sat in rare situations, but played nearly every down

**Akeem Dent played every down

**Saints used Big Nickel with Vaccaro in box mostly, Hawthorne played in no passing situations

**Spencer Paysinger was lone NYG every-down player

**Mason Foster's role is unchanged, out in dime, but near every-down player

KellysHeroes said:
Fokou played every down with Ayers coming off, bit of a surprise
Not too much. That's what the Titans had done all preseason. Ayers has been a situational pass rusher in nickel situations since the second half of 2012.

Looking at the box score for the atlanta game. Dent and W'spoon had 5 tackles each. Nicholas, Bartu and Worrilow had zero. Falcons are only carrying 5 LB's on their roster.

Who got all the tackles? Where they in Nickel and Dime the entire game?

If Dent or Spoon gets hurt, which is the guy to own?

Looking at the box score for the atlanta game. Dent and W'spoon had 5 tackles each. Nicholas, Bartu and Worrilow had zero. Falcons are only carrying 5 LB's on their roster.

Who got all the tackles? Where they in Nickel and Dime the entire game?

If Dent or Spoon gets hurt, which is the guy to own?
It was against New Orleans, not usually a LB friendly matchup, especially for the non nickel backs.

Re the replacement for Dent or Spoon, I think it depends when during the season an injury happens. I think they want Worrilow to be the guy, but may not trust him this early in the season and give Nicholas the go ahead. I went ahead and dumped Nicholas in both of my dyno's - I have Spoon in one and Dent in the other. Even if one gets hurt and Nicholas is the next man up his upside is an uninteresting LB4. Pass.

First post updated...

**Danny Trevathan sat more than I expected in subpackages over the past two weeks.

**Geno Hayes hasn't been replaced by Russell Allen yet.

**Brandon Spikes...ugh. Dont'a Hightower is the full time nickel backer now.

**Jasper Brinkley played only 14 snaps last week.

**I'm expecting Joplo Bartu steps into an every-down role immediately.

First post updated...

**Danny Trevathan sat more than I expected in subpackages over the past two weeks.

what roles do you expect these guys to have now?

I mean aside from snaps and nickel usage -- will they shuffle positions on the field at all?

I'm assuming dent and bartu, but does bartu just step into weatherspoon's role, or does dent slide over?

First post updated...

only while 'spoon is out?

First post updated...

**Ravens played dime (Michael Huff over Josh Bynes) with Arthur Brown out

**Reggie Walker played every down for Donald Butler

**Zach Brown sat while the Titans played lots of dime last week

**Paul Worrilow rotated in nickel packages for Akeem Dent, only Joplo Bartu played every down

**The Giants are a multi-headed package-dependent mess again

**Michael Wilhoite played every down after Patrick Willis was injured

I see no mention anywhere of Manny Lawson, he just had a 12 tackle performance and I am curious did anything change in Buffalo or was this just a fluke game?

Thank you for any insight. :-)

The Claymaker said:
I see no mention anywhere of Manny Lawson, he just had a 12 tackle performance and I am curious did anything change in Buffalo or was this just a fluke game?

Thank you for any insight. :-)
he seems to be playing 70% or so of snaps a game

Users who are viewing this thread