What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 MLB First Year Player Draft (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Bud Selig's annual stand-up comedy routine should have extra resonance this year.

1. Houston Astros2. Chicago Cubs3. Colorado Rockies4. Minnesota Twins5. Cleveland Indians6. Miami Marlins7. Boston Red Sox8. Kansas City Royals9. Pittsburgh Pirates (M. Appel - unsigned)10. Toronto Blue Jays11. New York Mets12. Seattle Mariners13. San Diego Padres14. Pittsburgh Pirates15. Arizona Diamondbacks16. Philadelphia Phillies17. Chicago White Sox18. Los Angeles Dodgers19. St. Louis Cardinals20. Detroit Tigers21. Tampa Bay Rays22. Baltimore Orioles23. Texas Rangers24. Oakland Athletics25. San Francisco Giants26. New York Yankees27. Cincinnati Reds28. St. Louis Cardinals (K. Lohse)129. Tampa Bay Rays (B.J. Upton)230. Texas Rangers (J. Hamilton)331. Atlanta Braves (M. Bourn)432. New York Yankees (N. Swisher)533. New York Yankees (R. Soriano)6

From Baseball America:

Baseball is generational game, traditionally passed down from father to son. As such, the game is filled with familial connections. Every draft has a good number of players drafted with grandfathers, fathers, uncles, brothers and cousins involved in the sport somehow. Here are some of the most prominent of those players for the 2013 draft, with a few players with other interesting relatives mixed in, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eephus said:
From Baseball America:

Baseball is generational game, traditionally passed down from father to son. As such, the game is filled with familial connections. Every draft has a good number of players drafted with grandfathers, fathers, uncles, brothers and cousins involved in the sport somehow. Here are some of the most prominent of those players for the 2013 draft, with a few players with other interesting relatives mixed in, as well.
Never knew Robin Yount had a brother that was a big league pitcher....

Eephus, link is messed up. Extra http in there

Eephus said:
From Baseball America:

Link is fixed. Thanks LD. No thanks new board.

Larry Yount never actually threw a pitch in a big league game. He entered the game and hurt his arm warming up before ever facing a batter. He's in the official record books with zero IP or PAs.

Eephus said:
From Baseball America:

Link is fixed. Thanks LD. No thanks new board.

Larry Yount never actually threw a pitch in a big league game. He entered the game and hurt his arm warming up before ever facing a batter. He's in the official record books with zero IP or PAs.
:lmao:

That sucks.

Nice to see the ####z name back in baseball.

ETA: Filtered. Rusty's son.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks the Astros might be screwing it up again and take Moran 1st to save money for a better 2nd/3rd pick.

Wish I could get into this. I like following Rays player development when they get into the system, but this thing doesn't make for TV.

Welcome to Chicago Mr Prior Appel
Or Mr. Gray
How does theo pass on gray?
They often stated that a position player is a far safer bet. Like last year, I expect nothing but pitchers for a while from them. Bryant gives them very good chance at a high power/high obp corner who are vital to a team.

I did expect one of the pitchers but I can't argue with Bryant. The only issue I was worried about is if he can play something other than 1B. I assume they have seen enough at 3B or LF/RF to convince them.

Bud thinks it's the year 2000 while announcing the Moran pick. Which may explain why MLB is getting tough on PEDs.

From what I have read I would have preferred Frazier to fall to the Sox or even them to pick Meadows but I can convince myself into like Trey Ball. Tall athletic lefty who can hit 91-93 with room to grow and maybe even add some power to get to 95.

I love what the Pirates did today. Three really good picks. Gone are the days of taking a guy who should be cheap to sign.
Didn't they get the top ranked outfielder and catcher in the draft? MLB draft seems like a crapshoot. Even when we picked a very highly touted prospect like Alvarez, it doesn't work out.

I love what the Pirates did today. Three really good picks. Gone are the days of taking a guy who should be cheap to sign.
Didn't they get the top ranked outfielder and catcher in the draft? MLB draft seems like a crapshoot. Even when we picked a very highly touted prospect like Alvarez, it doesn't work out.
Outside of a sure fire #1 pick hitter (ARod, Griffey, Harper) the MLB draft is basically crapshoot. We can get as happy or angry as we want about a pick but we know next to nothing about these players.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/top-100-draft-flashback/ shows how the #1 pick value dwarfs the rest of the 1st round. The difference between #2 and the rest of the first round is minor compared to #1 vs #2. Of course, more value comes out of mid to late 1st round picks than the remaining of the draft. But hit rates outside of #1 are poor as to be expected with how far each player is away from MLB ready.

Harold Reynolds loves every pick
He also loves interns
The absolute worst thing about MLBN is the MLB Now show.
Yet I have no problem watching it

Akra
She used to be the on-field reporter for Nats games. The post-game interviews were usually worth sticking around for because a Nat would give a player a Gatorade shower, but would always seemingly get more Gatorade on Kristina than the player (it was almost as though it was deliberate).

I wish the MLB draft meant as much as the NFL or even NBA, but it just doesn't.

I do like what Texas does, just drafting value, regardless of position. It doesn't matter that they have Andrus locked up for the next decade, Profar in the wings, and Odor highly touted after that, they go ahead and draft another one at #30. I would bet a beer he never sees a single game on the Rangers big club, but he could turn out to be that important second or third piece in a big trade three years from now for that stud starting pitcher or OFer.

JD just continues to gather assets.

A pick that gets to the big leagues has worked out in MLB. The chances a pick turns into a star are low, but much better if you actually take the best players, something the Pirates didn't always do.

Unfortunately I don't think there's anything they can do to make it better it either. NFL and NBA rookies can have a quick impact, 99% of the MLB guys won't do anything for at least 3 years. I mean, I watched during commercials of the Spurs/Heat, but casual baseball fan just doesn't give a ####.

One unique factor of the MLB draft is how a team's ballpark can impact future production of a drafted player. Jonathan Gray in Colorado and DJ Peterson to Seattle are examples of guys whose future fantasy value took big hits yesterday night.

MAC_32 said:
Bogart said:
Unfortunately I don't think there's anything they can do to make it better it either. NFL and NBA rookies can have a quick impact, 99% of the MLB guys won't do anything for at least 3 years. I mean, I watched during commercials of the Spurs/Heat, but casual baseball fan just doesn't give a ####.
The timing of it is pretty bad, too. I mean...why would I watch the draft instead of a regular season baseball game or the NBA finals?

Grantland's take on how to fix the MLB draft

Nothing new here, but still some solid points.
I disagree. The whole thing is dumb. His analogy is incorrect. A better one is you take a job with Microsoft and then they are free to assign you to whatever office they chose. By his logic trades are also immoral. This is just part of the nature of professional sports. If you don't like it choose another profession.

I see nothing about his system that would in any way be better for baseball which is what MLB should care about. Baseball has enough problems with competitive balance as is. They don't need more.

Users who are viewing this thread