What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Oscar Thread (1 Viewer)

David O. Russell has written/directed back to back films where his actors get nominations in all four acting categories. That's really amazing.
Great call. He gets great performances out of all of his actors, and it's been great watching him develop his talent
Though, some of those Hustle nominations are suspect. Bale and Adams, I'm cool with. I didn't think Cooper or Lawrence did anything Oscar-worth, especially Lawrence. That one confuses me. That said I liked the movie, and I thought the did a good job. But 4 nominations is overkill.

Overall a weak year -- nothing like last year. Locks are:

Matthew McConaughey in Dallas Buyers Club

Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club

12 Years a Slave for Best Picture
Wow, I completely disagree. 2013 was fantastic for movies. So good in fact that there are legit Oscar-worthy nominations who didn't make the cut. Tom Hanks, Robert Redford, or Joaquin Phoenix for Best Actor. Spike Jonze for Director. Etc.

really, really good year.
No. Last year's movies that were better than anything that came out this year (except for 12 Years):

Beasts of Southern Wild

Moonrise Kingdom

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Cloud Atlas

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

The Master

Life of Pi

Safety Not Guaranteed

Django

Lincoln

Flight

Surprised Saving Mr. Banks got nothing besides score. Would have thought it would have a Best Picture and Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson, or Colin Farrell would have gotten nods.
No kidding. I had no specific intention to like it, but as I was wiping the dust from eyes at the end of the movie, I thought for sure we'd see Emma Thompson nominated.

It was a fantastic movie. Maybe the best I saw all year with 12 Years it's closest competition.

I think Emma Thompson was in a leading role, but not so sure about Hanks. That might be the issue. Maybe they aren't ready to put Hanks in a support role? Not exactly sure how that's determined.
What about Colin Ferrell? He was spectacular! Easy support nomination I would think!

Wow, I completely disagree. 2013 was fantastic for movies. So good in fact that there are legit Oscar-worthy nominations who didn't make the cut. Tom Hanks, Robert Redford, or Joaquin Phoenix for Best Actor. Spike Jonze for Director. Etc.

No. Last year's movies that were better than anything that came out this year (except for 12 Years):

Beasts of Southern Wild

Moonrise Kingdom

Cloud Atlas

The Master

Life of Pi

Safety Not Guaranteed

Django

Lincoln

Flight
Never said 2013 was better than 2012, just that 2013 was a great year for movies. But in any event, 12 Years a Alave, Her, Gravity, and Dallas Buyers Club are better than every movie you just listed.

The only lock is Blanchett. 12 Years a Slave is a very likely winner as well. Everything else looks wide open.

Beasts of Southern Wild

Moonrise Kingdom

Cloud Atlas

The Master

Life of Pi

Safety Not Guaranteed

Django

Lincoln

Flight
Never said 2013 was better than 2012, just that 2013 was a great year for movies. But in any event, 12 Years a Alave, Her, Gravity, and Dallas Buyers Club are better than every movie you just listed.
:lol: If you say so.

Got to be a few guys standing around in Orlando right now wondering how Monsters Inc 2 couldn't crack the top 5.

I haven't seen many ANY of this year's movies yet, but last year's were pretty bad all told

I planning on catching up and passing judgment soon

Any big surprises? Thought Hanks might get a nomination for Captain Phillips, and thought the Oprah would get one too.

No Inside Llewelyn Davis was a mild surprise too
For me the big surprise was that it looks like a damn good year of movies and a solid list for Best Picture. Usually there is something on the list that makes me :wall: , but nothing sticks out - thought this year it would be The Butler.

One that stood out was Bullock for Gravity - I haven't seen it, but I have heard rumblings that she was pretty bad in it. I think the main gripe I might have with the list is that it (not surprisingly) only seems to feature about 10 movies total. I know this isn't Sundance, but really wish they would stretch their neck out a teeny bit and nominate something at little off the grid, especially for the women - you would only think that there are 7 or 8 actresses working in film today.

Oh, and I still have no clue what this Philomena movie is...

Beasts of Southern Wild

Moonrise Kingdom

Cloud Atlas

The Master

Life of Pi

Safety Not Guaranteed

Django

Lincoln

Flight
:lol: If you say so.
I think Salmon Fishing and Perks on the list killed your argument out of the gate there, guy.

Beasts of Southern Wild

Moonrise Kingdom

Cloud Atlas

The Master

Life of Pi

Safety Not Guaranteed

Django

Lincoln

Flight
I haven't seen many of these 2013 films yet, but judging by how ####ty a lot of those films are in that 2012 list, I'm pretty confident 2013 is way better than 2012.

Her snagged 5 including best film, Phoenix would have made a nice 6th nomination. Don't overlook this as one of those films that wins 2-3 Oscars including best picture.
It's so unusual and so well done. Those who like it really like it. Think it will appeal to a certain voting block and rack up votes whereas Hustle and Wolf split a similar voting block.

12 Year's a Slave? I don't know. All I hear in the media is it is so well done and not, "You have to go see this." Enthusiasm might not be there.

Gravity? Completely different movie watching it at home via a screener. Could hurt.

Think Her has a good shot. Jonze wasn't nominated but neither was Affleck last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beasts of Southern Wild

Moonrise Kingdom

Cloud Atlas

The Master

Life of Pi

Safety Not Guaranteed

Django

Lincoln

Flight
I haven't seen many of these 2013 films yet, but judging by how ####ty a lot of those films are in that 2012 list, I'm pretty confident 2013 is way better than 2012.
As I've said before, 2012 was perhaps the best film year ever. And every film on this list helped make it so.

Last edited by a moderator:
2013 list:

The Wolf of Wall Street
Her
12 Years a Slave
Gravity
Rush
Short Term 12
The Hobbit 2
Hunger Games 2
Frozen
Before Midnight
Nebraska
Prisoners
Captain Phillips
Blackfish (Doc)
Dallas Buyers Club
Inside Llewyn Davis
Philomena
Star Trek Into Darkness
American Hustle
About Time
Saving Mr. Banks
The Best Offer
Only Lovers Left Alive
Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Snowpiercer (Korean)
Blue Jasmine
The Book Thief
The Spectacular Now
Monsters University
In a World
The Way Way Back
August: Osage County
The Butler

Her snagged 5 including best film, Phoenix would have made a nice 6th nomination. Don't overlook this as one of those films that wins 2-3 Oscars including best picture.
It's so unusual and so well done. Those who like it really like it. Think it will appeal to a certain voting block and rack up votes whereas Hustle and Wolf split a similar voting block.

12 Year's a Slave? I don't know. All I hear in the media is it is so well done and not, "You have to go see this." Enthusiasm might not be there.

Gravity? Completely different movie watching it at home via a screener. Could hurt.

Think Her has a good shot. Jonze wasn't nominated but neither was Affleck last year.
12 Years a Slave is a great movie but it's hard to recommend to people what's basically a horror film.

If it was up to me, Her would take best picture, director and screenplay.

2012 list:

Django Unchained (2012)
The Dark Knight Rises
Life of Pi
Les Miserables
Silver Linings Playbook
Lincoln
The Hobbit
The Avengers
Wreck It Ralph
Cloud Atlas
Argo
Amour
Skyfall
Moonrise Kingdom
Searching for Sugar Man
Looper
The Master
End of Watch
The Impossible
A Royal Affair (Denmark)
Rust and Bone (France)
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Rise of the Guardians
Flight
The Sessions
West of Memphis

Only one I have watched is Wolf of Wall St. I cant see how there could be a better acting performance than Leo's. I need to see several of these movies.

2013 list:

The Wolf of Wall Street

Her

12 Years a Slave

Gravity

Rush

Short Term 12

The Hobbit 2

Hunger Games 2

Frozen

Before Midnight

Nebraska

Prisoners

Captain Phillips

Blackfish (Doc)

Dallas Buyers Club

Inside Llewyn Davis

Philomena

Star Trek Into Darkness

American Hustle

About Time

Saving Mr. Banks

The Best Offer

Only Lovers Left Alive

Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Snowpiercer (Korean)

Blue Jasmine

The Book Thief

The Spectacular Now

Monsters University

In a World

The Way Way Back

August: Osage County

The Butler
blue caprice and fruitvale station were both very good as well.

Users who are viewing this thread