What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Houston Texans Thread (1 Viewer)

Texans announce 2015 preseason opponents

The Houston Texans 2015 preseason schedule features a nationally-televised game at New Orleans on August 30 (Preseason Week 3) at 3:00 p.m. CDT.

Houston will host the first two preseason games against the San Francisco 49ers (Preseason Week 1) and Denver Broncos (Preseason Week 2) and will close out the preseason at the Dallas Cowboys (Preseason Week 4). The exact dates and times for the games will be released at a later date. It will mark the ninth time in the franchise’s 14 years of play the Texans have had a nationally-televised preseason game.

The Texans will open up vs. San Francisco, which will be the third time the two teams have met in the preseason in the last four years. Houston holds a 2-1 advantage in the series, but dropped last year’s matchup 40-13 at NRG Stadium.

Houston will then take on the Denver Broncos for the second consecutive preseason and seventh time in franchise history. The Broncos lead the preseason series 4-2, but the Texans came away with an 18-17 victory at Sports Authority Field at Mile High in 2014.

Houston and New Orleans will meet for the seventh time in eight years and eighth time ever in the preseason. The Texans are 3-4 vs. Saints all-time in preseason matchups, with the Saints winning the last meeting 31-23 at Reliant Stadium in 2013.

The Texans close the preseason by taking on their in-state rival Dallas at Cowboys Stadium. The Texans have won four of the previous seven preseason contests against the Cowboys. The two squads last matched up in the preseason in 2013 and Houston won that contest 24-6.

HOUSTON TEXANS 2015 PRESEASON SCHEDULE

Week/Date Opponent (Television Network) Kickoff Time

Week 1, TBA SAN FRANCISCO (KTRK-TV) TBA

Week 2, TBA DENVER (KTRK-TV) TBA

Sunday, August 30 at New Orleans (FOX)# 3:00 p.m. CDT

Week 4, TBA at Dallas (KTRK-TV) TBA

I listen to talk radio in Houston, and while I think fans like Bill O'Brien, I don't get the sense that they think he is one of the top coaches in the league. I think he did a great job last year, with the QB play that they had, and learning a new offense and defense to finish 9-7. I think if the Texans draft well, their defense will be very good and with a good coach like O'Brien, I think they could finish 11-5. I think the Colts still should win the division, but I think it will be a good two team race.

I listen to talk radio in Houston, and while I think fans like Bill O'Brien, I don't get the sense that they think he is one of the top coaches in the league. I think he did a great job last year, with the QB play that they had, and learning a new offense and defense to finish 9-7. I think if the Texans draft well, their defense will be very good and with a good coach like O'Brien, I think they could finish 11-5. I think the Colts still should win the division, but I think it will be a good two team race.
Despite the QB's he had, only 1 loss was by more than a score.

O'Brien seems to love Petty - don't be surprised when he picks him in the 1st.

I think you are right, they may draft Petty. But I don't think it will be in the first. I think they may trade up to the top of the second to make sure they get him. I think they go defense (probably LB) with the first pick

I think you are right, they may draft Petty. But I don't think it will be in the first. I think they may trade up to the top of the second to make sure they get him. I think they go defense (probably LB) with the first pick
That's possible. Only concern there would be if the Titans (or another QB-needy team ahead of them) trade up before them. The Titans could trade up two spots to the #32 much cheaper than it would cost the Texans to go to #33 to jump ahead of the Titans.

That's possible. Only concern there would be if the Titans (or another QB-needy team ahead of them) trade up before them. The Titans could trade up two spots to the #32 much cheaper than it would cost the Texans to go to #33 to jump ahead of the Titans.
I agree that they could trade up to the late first to get him. My point was I don't think they use their own pick in the first at 16 on Petty. I think they would be losing value there.

Feels like a trade down year unless somebody they like falls out of the top 10. Top 3 WR's probably gone, too early to reach on next tier. ILB not a premier position to spend a high first on.

I agree that they could trade up to the late first to get him. My point was I don't think they use their own pick in the first at 16 on Petty. I think they would be losing value there.
Only losing value if he's not a starting NFL QB. There have been a lot of 1st round QB busts, but I remember thinking Flacco and Tannehill were reaches.

I agree with trading down if they want him in the 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:
HOUSTON TEXANS 2015 SCHEDULE

PRESEASON
Day Date Opponent Network Kickoff Time
Saturday Aug. 15 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS KTRK 7:00 p.m.
Saturday Aug. 22 DENVER BRONCOS KTRK 7:00 p.m.
Sunday Aug. 30 at New Orleans Saints FOX 3:00 p.m.
Thursday ept. 3 at Dallas Cowboys KTRK 7:00 p.m.

REGULAR SEASON
Day Date Opponent Network Kickoff Time

Sunday Sept. 13 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS CBS Noon
Sunday Sept. 20 at Carolina Panthers CBS Noon
Sunday Sept. 27 TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS FOX Noon
Sunday Oct. 4 at Atlanta Falcons CBS Noon
Thursday Oct. 8 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS CBS/NFLN 7:25 p.m.
Sunday Oct. 18 at Jacksonville Jaguars CBS Noon
Sunday Oct. 25 at Miami Dolphins CBS Noon
Sunday Nov. 1 TENNESSEE TITANS CBS Noon
Sunday Nov. 8 BYE
Monday Nov. 16 at Cincinnati Bengals ESPN 7:30 p.m.
Sunday Nov. 22 NEW YORK JETS CBS Noon
Sunday Nov. 29 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS FOX Noon
Sunday Dec. 6 at Buffalo Bills CBS Noon
Sunday Dec. 13 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS CBS Noon
Sunday Dec. 20 at Indianapolis Colts CBS Noon
Sunday Dec. 27 at Tennessee Titans CBS Noon
Sunday Jan. 3 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS CBS Noon

Unless I missed one when eyeballing it, I think the Saints are our only opponent who is coming off of a bye.

Former Philadelphia Eagles running back Chris Polk agreed to a one-year deal with the Houston Texans, according to a league source.

The Eagles were shopping Polk before releasing him last week, and one of the teams interested in him was the Texans.

Polk is known in personnel circles as an excellent special teams player and he's also very good in short-yardage situations.

Polk had a strong game against the Texans while playing with the Eagles last season. He had eight carries for 50 yards, including an eight-yard touchdown run.

Polk should also come in handy for the Texans as a returner. Houston coach Bill O'Brien has stressed improving special teams this offseason.

That ESPN blurb I posted on Chris Polk mentions him as a special teams player. Not just a coverage guy, but he's a kick returner. Had 11 returns including a touchdown last year, over a 30 yard average though that's not a big sample size so the TD is going to inflate it a bit. We can definitely use more options there.

I think Polk is an excellent pick-up for the Texans, if for no other reason than the special teams. I liked him a lot on the eagles, he did well running the ball when given a chance. I think he is a better option as the number 2 back to Arian than Alfred Blue is.

looks like Stevie Brown signed...Rotoworld has mentioned several times in the last day that we're trying to unload Swearinger. Makes sense with Brown and Rahim Moore signed.

Not that I hated the guy, but Swearinger has done enough bonehead stuff I'd not be upset if they could get anything for him.

Greg Russell said:
Not that I hated the guy, but Swearinger has done enough bonehead stuff I'd not be upset if they could get anything for him.
His play is not dissimilar to Bernard Pollard. In this era of football, we need better coverage skills. I'll be shocked if we get anything significant for him. Draft grade: C-

Won't miss him, but it seems dumb to give up on him after only two seasons though. Kareem was ####### terrible his first few seasons, DB & CB's take time to develop just like WR's. Especially now with the rule changes making it much harder to play defense.

It's probably more scheme fit and/or tired of his attitude both on the field and off. Its a terrible year to need a safety though, this draft class is very poor at the position.

Texans trade up in the 2nd with Cleveland, swapping 2nds (51 for 43) and giving up a 4 and 6 and getting a 7 back.

ESPN evaluations:

Kevin Johnson

CB
Senior
6-0¼, 188 lbs
Wake Forest

Scouts Grade90
Position Rank3
Overall Rank15
40-YD Dash4.52
ConferenceACC

Draft Analysis

What he brings: He has the best movement skills of any cornerback in this class, holding up well in press-man, off-man and zone coverages. He can get out-muscled by bigger receivers at times and have trouble getting off blocks in run defense due to his lean frame, so he could afford to get stronger. How he fits: Johnson will add depth behind Kareem Jackson and Jonathan Joseph on the outside. He is a strong fit here with the versatility to line up in defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel's scheme, which requires cornerbacks to line up in multiple roles, including both zone and man technique.

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 2010 (11/5): 31-2-0 2011 Acadmeically Ineligible2012 (12/12): 58-15-3 2013 (12/12): 58-12-3 2014 (12/12): 44-6-1 Career: 8 TFL-1 Sack-3 FF-1 FR

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Tall with slightly below-average arm length. Has added nearly 15 pounds to frame since the spring of 2014, but frame is still on the leaner side. Smaller hands. Top-end speed is above-average. Excellent jump and agility test results at the combine.

Durability 2 Frame is a concern, but durable college player who has started all 36 games over his final three seasons without sustaining any serious injuries to best of our knowledge.

Intangibles 2 Son of Kevin and Judy Johnson, who have been a strong support system. Respectful and well-liked by everyone in the athletic department. Accountable on and off the field. Work habits have improved since beginning of career. Puts in the time in the film room. Learns well and is able to take it from the classroom to the field. Leads by example but has become more vocal as career has progressed. Plays with swagger and energy. Graduated with a degree in communications in December 2014. Academically ineligible and practiced with scout team in 2011. Effective covering punts and potential to develop into core special teams' player.

Cornerback Specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition 2 Above-average awareness. Shows active eyes and very cognizant of route concepts. Flashes the ability to come off of primary assignment to make a play on the ball. Does a nice job of weaving within back-pedal to maintain quality initial leverage on receivers. Good anticipation to jump routes. Will gamble on occasion and is susceptible to effective double-moves. Quick recognition and reaction skills defending the run.

Cover Skills 1 Fluid athlete with natural movement skills. Loose in hips and turns easily. Flexible lower half. Natural backpedal and maintains quality leverage. Smooth transition out of breaks. Above-average man coverage skills both in press- and off-man technique. Quick short-area closing burst. Adequate recovery speed and overall range.

Ball Skills 2 Adequate to slightly above-average production (33 pass breakups, 6 interceptions). Above-average playmaking instincts. Takes quality angles tracking the ball once locating it. Good hand-eye coordination and shows the ability to high point the ball. Adequate leaping ability. While he has above-average height he has shorter arms and needs to continue to add bulk to hold up with bigger and more physical NFL-caliber receivers in contested situations.

Run Support 3 Aggressive and willing in this area. Physical taking on blocks but will occasionally be late getting off blocks against bigger receivers. Takes quality angles in pursuit. Effective at cutting out legs of ball-carriers. Will enter contact with high pad level at times when tackling ball-carrier up high. Needs to continue to improve strength in this area in order to be more effective getting off of blocks and finishing as a tackler.

Benardrick McKinney

ILB
Junior
6-4⅛, 246 lbs
Miss. St

Scouts Grade80
Position Rank4
Overall Rank62
40-YD Dash4.66
ConferenceSEC

What he brings: He has an excellent combination of size and athleticism. His movement skills are a little stiff, but he has very good straight-line speed and closing burst against the run, and he's fearless in taking on blocks. He has good upside as a pass-rusher but needs to get better in coverage.

Overall Football Traits
Production 1 2011: Redshirted2012 (13/10): 102-4.5-1 2013 (13/13): 71-7.0-3.5 2014 (13/13): 71-8-3

Height-Weight-Speed 1 Excellent combination of height and weight. Well-proportioned frame. Built like a 3-4 OLB. Long arms but has smaller hands. Very good top-end speed and leaping ability for size.

Durability 1 Played in all 39 career games (36 starts) during his three seasons at Mississippi State (2012-2014).

Intangibles 2 Coaches rave about his football character. Brings a lot of energy to the defense. Takes well to coaching and has no off-field issues to our knowledge.

Inside Linebacker Specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition 2 Pronounced: Benard-rick. Has adequate key-and-diagnose skills but needs to be more consistent in order to take his game to next level. Has a good natural feel for the game and appears to have fast eyes. Has improved discipline against the run. Improved run fits and maintained better gap integrity within scheme in 2014. Still frequently takes the bait and will get caught in no-man's land versus play-action and misdirection.

Take-on Skills 2 Shows no fear of stepping up and taking on the lead blocker. Has shock in hands to jar blockers with initial contact. Also has long arms to help keep blockers off his pads. Needs to improve consistency of pad level and will be slow to disengage at times as a result. Does not protect his feet well, particularly when pursuing laterally.

Range vs. Run 3 Runs well on a straight line for his size. Is tall and has some tightness. Lacks ideal redirect quickness but is at least adequate. Could be more consistent with pursuit angles but does show good quickness shuffling laterally and above-average closing burst.

Tackling 3 Not a vicious hitter but has good size and enough strength to occasionally deliver a blow. Is an adequate open-field tackler. Has long arms to lasso ball carriers when he's not in an ideal position to break down and wrap up. Keeping pads low will always be a challenge for him. Falls off some tackles because he comes in too high.

3rd Down Capabilities 3 Shows adequate feel in zone coverage. Anticipates crossers and shows good field awareness. Closes quickly when coming forward and does a good job of limiting the run-after-catch. Has some tightness in his hips and will struggle to match up one-on-one with quicker NFL RBs. Flashes upside as a pass-rusher, especially off the edge. Has length and athleticism to improve with more coaching and reps.

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

Texans have some compensatory picks left, plus their 7th.

Pick Overall
5.39 175 (compensatory)
6.36 212 (compensatory)
6.40 216 (compensatory)
7.18 235

So I guess Rick Smith finally realized he sucks picking late rounders so might as well use them to trade up for the early guys we want? Like the move for Strong, seems like a steal.

Would like to hear the story on why that LB'er instead of Kendricks.

Yeah that LB seems like the thumper type... I'll reserve judgment, but I've always wanted to get some LBS that can fly sideline to sideline. Hopefully he fills a good role though, I'm happy we added an ILB at least. Happy with the Strong pick as well. Never really watched Kevin Johnson so I'll just hope...

Just spitballing here, but maybe Cushing insurance if he never returns to pre-injury(ies) form? Too much this year but there are some cap savings to be made next year and significantly after 2016 if cut or traded.

Well maybe...but I'd argue we'd need another one then anyway. I actually think a playmaking inside backer that is fast and can stay in for any package is pretty valuable. Like Cushing pre injury. McKinney seems like the thumper that plays the other ILB spot, but we'll see. I'm just a fan of fast LBS, we've had replacement level guys lately. But I have no issue taking McKinney. We need new blood there. I'd love another one later who is fast, even if he's a project. ...

I liked the first three picks, but everything after that were head scratchers. I would have really liked to get a bonefide pass rusher as Merc has proven nothing but a rotational guy and Clowney is coming off major injury. Nothing behind them. We can't depend on Watt doing it all himself again. Also no OL at all is a bit worrisome. Overall I feel the draft was a B-.

The team said they view McKinney as playing on 1st and 2nd downs. But also said he can play outside if needed. I'm guessing that versatility aspect probably played a role.

Not a big fan of the Merc extension. I can see the necessity of it, but I don't feel that his play has been deserving of it. We are woefully thin on pass rushers.

Not a big fan of the Merc extension. I can see the necessity of it, but I don't feel that his play has been deserving of it. We are woefully thin on pass rushers.
Eh, it wasn't bad. $6.5M/yr for that position isn't bad. If he plays just like he played last year, I'd say it is a break even deal. He's really improved a ton against the run. If he continues to improve in any/all phases then the contract becomes good value. If he gets worse then yeah, bad signing. But he's young enough that it shouldn't happen like that. My initial reaction was "wtf?!" until I thought about it for a bit. 3-4 OLBs get paid and he's a mediocre starter. The salary fits. Allows us to focus on other positions while not breaking the bank to fill that position.

Eh, it wasn't bad. $6.5M/yr for that position isn't bad. If he plays just like he played last year, I'd say it is a break even deal. He's really improved a ton against the run. If he continues to improve in any/all phases then the contract becomes good value. If he gets worse then yeah, bad signing. But he's young enough that it shouldn't happen like that. My initial reaction was "wtf?!" until I thought about it for a bit. 3-4 OLBs get paid and he's a mediocre starter. The salary fits. Allows us to focus on other positions while not breaking the bank to fill that position.
I don't really have a problem with the dollar amounts, I just didn't agree with not drafting someone else and replacing him. He's had a long time to develop, I think we've seen what he is. He was drafted to be a pass rusher, and he just isn't. Hopefully we address the position next year.

I don't really have a problem with the dollar amounts, I just didn't agree with not drafting someone else and replacing him. He's had a long time to develop, I think we've seen what he is. He was drafted to be a pass rusher, and he just isn't. Hopefully we address the position next year.
Or Jadaveon comes back healthy and Mercilus is better because defenses are worried about Watt and Clowney.

I think, in general the Texans are paying way too much right now for the LB's. Cushing contract is ridiculus, Clowney's is big and now Mercilus. What is saving the Texans is they are not paying big dollars right now at either QB or WR.

It looks like possibly Swearinger was traded, or if not maybe someone hacked his Instagram account, which posted the following:

One heck of an opportunity #texannation I appreciate everything and the opportunity and memories!! It's time for a new chapter and the defining moment of my career!! So long #HOUSTONTEXANS
No word from the Texans or anywhere else yet on a trade.

Oof Antonio Smith. Weird dude but this caught me completely by surprise.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/27/antonio-smith-broncos-investigation-child-abuse-nfl-conduct-policy

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — On Wednesday, the Broncos did nothing at all extraordinary. They held their first day of organized team activities. Peyton Manning threw a football. He handed it off some, too. Von Miller caught a pick.

Defensive end Antonio Smith was not present.

Smith, 33, is a veteran who was cut by Oakland in March and signed by Denver on April 2. He played on Gary Kubiak’s Texans from 2009-13. And since November he’s been under investigation in Fort Bend County, Texas, for child abuse that police described as “sexual in nature.”

For now, all that is known about Smith’s situation is this: An accusation was levied, the Fort Bend Sheriff’s department investigated and it deemed the issue serious enough to pass on to the district attorney. No charges have been filed

I think the Texans defense this season may be close to dominating. Several reason why:

-2nd season in Romeo Crennel's defense. Everyone should be more familiar with the system and should be reacting quicker. Just last year the Texans averaged 391 yards allowed and 22 points scored against them in the first nine games. In the last seven games they averaged 293 yards allowed and 16 points scored against them.

-No significant losses in defensive personnel.

-The possibility of significant contributions from new or returning players: Clowney may return healthy, and would certainly add to the pass rush. Vince Wolfork and Louis Nix should greatly improve the play at nose guard and help solidify the run defense. Rahim Moore should help out in the secondary. Brian Cushing is now two years out from last major injury and the word from OTA's was that he looked lightyears better than last year in his speed and his anticipation. Kevin Johnson, their number one pick should provide depth in the slot to Joseph and Jackson on the outside.

-JJ Watt should just be entering his prime physically. If he has better personnel around him, which it appears he does, he may be even more dominant.

-I think the offense should be better this year as they also are in the second year of a new system. Also, I think they will get more consistent QB play from Hoyer/Mallett than they did with 4 different QB's last year. A better offense will stay on the field longer and score more points which should take some of the pressure off of the defense.

Calling it here early. Texans defense will be really good in 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread