What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Houston Texans Thread (1 Viewer)

Joseph signed a 2 year extension on Friday. Minor cap savings this year, but nicest thing is the future years are all base salary. Makes it easy to cut or reduce if father time catches up with him.

I like it for depth, no point trotting out a rook starter like we did Kareem's first year.

####.

Reports Arian Foster is out 3-6 months with a groin injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep sucks. Too early to know for sure yet, but McLain is saying Foster will be back "sometime during the season" instead of IR. Let the spit balling begin on who we sign short-term. 610 shockjocks already pitching the obvious names like CJ-no-k.

Well if we crater w/o Foster, at least we will have a shot a real QB prospect in the draft next year.

Dr. Octopus said:
Shutout said:
Bronco Billy said:
Great opportunity for Bradshaw if HOU decides it needs a RB upgrade (which it does now)
Or Pierre Thomas or Ray Rice or any other guy that has a few chops or could be traded.
Did Ben Tate burn any bridges in Houston? He's still out there.
Wondering that too, maybe lost a step but he had good games there.

A little slow, but here's what I was able to find on Pierre Thomas and the lack of agreement on a contract:

The Texans’ plan to sign veteran former Saints running back Pierre Thomas was scuttled Wednesday when the two sides couldn’t agree to financial details on a one-year, $870,000 contract.

Although the Texans’ veteran minimum offer with no guaranteed money wasn’t accepted by Thomas following a round of contract negotiations with the AFC South franchise, a source with knowledge of the situation not authorized to speak publicly indicated that talks could be revisited.

Thomas has declined offers from other NFL teams and has declined other veteran minimum contract offers and offers above that figure. Thomas is regarded as flexible about playing for less than $2 million per year, though.

Greg Russell said:
A little slow, but here's what I was able to find on Pierre Thomas and the lack of agreement on a contract:

The Texans’ plan to sign veteran former Saints running back Pierre Thomas was scuttled Wednesday when the two sides couldn’t agree to financial details on a one-year, $870,000 contract.

Although the Texans’ veteran minimum offer with no guaranteed money wasn’t accepted by Thomas following a round of contract negotiations with the AFC South franchise, a source with knowledge of the situation not authorized to speak publicly indicated that talks could be revisited.

Thomas has declined offers from other NFL teams and has declined other veteran minimum contract offers and offers above that figure. Thomas is regarded as flexible about playing for less than $2 million per year, though.
My guess is that he doesn't want to go through all of camp.

Man the footballguys emails are being brutal about our QB situation... maybe i just have a bad memory but it seems like Hoyer has put together his fair share of decent games in the past couple seasons. Are we really as f'ed at Qb as they are making out?

Man the footballguys emails are being brutal about our QB situation... maybe i just have a bad memory but it seems like Hoyer has put together his fair share of decent games in the past couple seasons. Are we really as f'ed at Qb as they are making out?
I think coupled with the loss of foster... it's gonna be hard to watch. The defense should be flying around though.

I think coupled with the loss of foster... it's gonna be hard to watch. The defense should be flying around though.
This is definitely true. Fosters loss really puts pressure on the QB's. For what it is worth, last year was Fitzpatrick's first year with the team, and the offense was new to everyone else as well, and Fitzpatrick has his best year in terms of completion %, TD %, int. %, and QB rating. I think Bill O'Brien will get more out of these QB's than they have done previously.

This is definitely true. Fosters loss really puts pressure on the QB's. For what it is worth, last year was Fitzpatrick's first year with the team, and the offense was new to everyone else as well, and Fitzpatrick has his best year in terms of completion %, TD %, int. %, and QB rating. I think Bill O'Brien will get more out of these QB's than they have done previously.
See that's what I'm hoping for. Call me a naive optimist but Hoyer was solid even though not spectacular in Cleveland until he kind of went of the rails a bit in the second half of last season. It's like people (FBG analysts included) can only remember a players last 6 games. I don't know what happened in Cleveland that he started struggling, but if we can get first half of 2014 season Hoyer we're definitely 'good enough' at the position. And 'good enough' at QB is definitely how the team has been built for basically as long as I've been following them, so I'm OK with this. I think even without Foster, the defense and non-terrible QB would make this an 8 win team

Having said that, if Hoyer is gonna be akin to post-meltdown Matt Schaub, we are boned.

Has there anything been said about McKinney? Is he going to start?
From a Texans blog site. Of course positive things doesn't mean he's going to start, but first I saw much on him:

Benardrick McKinney really surprised me. He was incredibly instinctive for run-defense and in coverage. C.J. Fiedorowicz had a surefire touchdown reception from Hoyer in the endzone (right in front of me,) but McKinney stayed with CJF step for step and knocked it out of his hands at the last second. McKinney also intercepted Hoyer on a shallow crossing route, and the defense went nuts. They love this kid! He finishes plays and was in excellent condition out there. I expected to see a "confused-rookie bruising run-thumper," but this guy is a hell of a linebacker.

Can we afford Philip Rivers for next year?
At this point, yes, though that doesn't take into account anyone else they need to re-sign. Current cap figure for next year looks to be $19m under the present cap, and the cap will probably grow again. Foster could be cut and save $7m as well if he doesn't look like he's going to be back to his old self.

See that's what I'm hoping for. Call me a naive optimist but Hoyer was solid even though not spectacular in Cleveland until he kind of went of the rails a bit in the second half of last season. It's like people (FBG analysts included) can only remember a players last 6 games. I don't know what happened in Cleveland that he started struggling, but if we can get first half of 2014 season Hoyer we're definitely 'good enough' at the position. And 'good enough' at QB is definitely how the team has been built for basically as long as I've been following them, so I'm OK with this. I think even without Foster, the defense and non-terrible QB would make this an 8 win team

Having said that, if Hoyer is gonna be akin to post-meltdown Matt Schaub, we are boned.
Hoyer is not going to be the starting QB so it really doesn't matter. He will make a good backup though, better than Fitz.

Here is what Over the Cap has for free agents for 2016. Hard to say right now who all they might try to re-sign, but I highlighted a few. Others like Washington and Polk would depend on how they do this year. Lechler, wonder if he's going to retire or not.

Player Pos. 2015 Team 2016 Team Type Current Avg./Year ▾
Shane Lechler P Texans UFA $1,833,333
Nate Washington WR Texans UFA $1,000,000
Damaris Johnson WR Texans UFA $1,000,000
Stevie Brown S Texans UFA $825,000
Jeff Tarpinian ILB Texans UFA $795,000
Chris Polk RB Texans UFA $760,000
Brandon Deaderick 34DE Texans UFA $745,000
Jon Weeks LS Texans UFA $725,000
Brandon Brooks RG Texans UFA $700,000
Ben Jones LG Texans UFA $645,362
Jared Crick 34DE Texans UFA $622,875

Eddie Pleasant S Texans RFA $585,000
Cody White C Texans UFA $585,000
Chris Neild 34DT Texans UFA $585,000
Mike Mohamed ILB Texans UFA $570,000
Jonathan Grimes RB Texans RFA $570,000
Randy Bullock K Texans RFA $550,777
John Simon 34DE Texans RFA $540,000
Keshawn Martin WR Texans UFA $502,512
A.J. Bouye CB Texans RFA $496,667
Justin Tuggle LB Texans RFA $495,833
Darryl Morris CB Texans RFA $495,000
Jeff Adams T Texans ERFA $465,000

Hoyer is not going to be the starting QB so it really doesn't matter. He will make a good backup though, better than Fitz.
Hey man, if Hoyer is 'good enough' and he's not even the best QB we have, it's all good from my perspective. So you're thinking Mallett is the guy and that he's going to be good?

ragnarok628 said:
GrandpaRox said:
Hey man, if Hoyer is 'good enough' and he's not even the best QB we have, it's all good from my perspective. So you're thinking Mallett is the guy and that he's going to be good?
I fully expect Mallett to be our starter. He has a much better upside than Hoyer. If you look at his Cleveland game last season he played really well and we were able to play a much more up tempo offense with him in there. He is a leader in the huddle and has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. He also has one of the quickest releases in the NFL and casn make changes on the fly. I just hope his accuracy has improved. He can also throw touch passes, his TD pass to JJ Watt in the end zone was a total touch pass.

One of the things I have a difficult time wrapping my head around is that he is 6'6" and he releases the ball at the top of his throwing arc. His passes come out at 8 feet or more.

I expect a lot from him. Foster being out 5 or 6 weeks will hurt but his quick release, ability to read the defense, command of the huddle, strong arm and being able to see the play in front of him should make him a franchise quarterback. With Foster I expected a top ten offense, now that will be more difficult.

I think our wide receiver position is the best overall that the Texans have ever had. Our defense should be top 5 at the worst. Our OL is my biggest concern little depth and Ben Jones at center is a major question mark.

I am very optimistic and expected us to win the division with a healthy Foster. I still think we can but our RB situation needs to be better than most people expect.

I would kind of like to see Mallett win the job, mainly because the book is less written on him so far. If either of them is likely to become a worthwhile NFL starter it is probably Mallett because I think we know what Hoyer's ceiling is. Less so on Mallett.

From a Texans blog site. Of course positive things doesn't mean he's going to start, but first I saw much on him:

Benardrick McKinney really surprised me. He was incredibly instinctive for run-defense and in coverage. C.J. Fiedorowicz had a surefire touchdown reception from Hoyer in the endzone (right in front of me,) but McKinney stayed with CJF step for step and knocked it out of his hands at the last second. McKinney also intercepted Hoyer on a shallow crossing route, and the defense went nuts. They love this kid! He finishes plays and was in excellent condition out there. I expected to see a "confused-rookie bruising run-thumper," but this guy is a hell of a linebacker.
Thanks Greg, you do an awesome job in here.

jamil said:
Greg Russell said:

Thanks Greg, you do an awesome job in here.
This came from the same site that I mentioned in the next post struck me as perhaps being overly positive.

Well, from what I saw of McKinney in coverage tonight against the 49ers, I might lean towards him being as poor in coverage as the scouting reports around the draft suggested rather than what the blog expressed above. Unfortunately the plays I spent focused on him ended up being mostly runs, but IIRC he was beat several times in the passing game that I saw, including one for a touchdown where after the pass was caught he tried to arm tackle the receiver up high and failed.

I haven't watched the broadcast yet, just what I saw at the game live... but at the moment I'd be more likely to believe reports I heard mentioned tonight that he won't be near the field on third down. Still not sure about him starting, but the middle LB crew is thin after Cushing so it wouldn't surprise me. Mohammed had a few nice plays but I think I recall some bad ones too. Again, want to watch the broadcast to double check.

The few plays I focused in on Kevin Johnson, he seemed to really stick with the receivers well. I think he gave up a reception or two at least, will have to watch to see, but a few plays I watched him and ignored where the ball went and he was right on the receiver like glue.

Just bumping this up to the first page for now, a 2015 division winner deserves a little bump.

Besides I want to see that Texans hater make a fool of himself again.

Texans sign two more defensive players for depth. Demps and Moala.

Clowney looks like he will be viable this year for the Texans and Cush looks like he is back to where he needs to be. With the addition of Wilfork, Moore, healthy Cushing, healthy Clowney and a more improved JJ Watt, I juswt cannot see how the Texans don't win the division.

For the person who thinks we don't have a QB, you are so wrong also goes for the person that thinks our WR's suck. You all will eay your words.

I'm sorry, but I don't have confidence in either Mallet nor Hoyer. Mallet has some physical tools, but he just doesn't have the mental aspect. Hoyer is a better leader but is so average athletically. Since someone has to play, I will root for Mallet. Honestly I think our defense has us fighting for .500 this year and we pick in the middle of the draft again, missing any top tier QB yet again. You gotta have a QB in today's game and we have been missing on those picks since inception.

I fully expect Mallett to be our starter. He has a much better upside than Hoyer. If you look at his Cleveland game last season he played really well and we were able to play a much more up tempo offense with him in there. He is a leader in the huddle and has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. He also has one of the quickest releases in the NFL and casn make changes on the fly. I just hope his accuracy has improved. He can also throw touch passes, his TD pass to JJ Watt in the end zone was a total touch pass.

One of the things I have a difficult time wrapping my head around is that he is 6'6" and he releases the ball at the top of his throwing arc. His passes come out at 8 feet or more.

I expect a lot from him. Foster being out 5 or 6 weeks will hurt but his quick release, ability to read the defense, command of the huddle, strong arm and being able to see the play in front of him should make him a franchise quarterback. With Foster I expected a top ten offense, now that will be more difficult.

I think our wide receiver position is the best overall that the Texans have ever had. Our defense should be top 5 at the worst. Our OL is my biggest concern little depth and Ben Jones at center is a major question mark.

I am very optimistic and expected us to win the division with a healthy Foster. I still think we can but our RB situation needs to be better than most people expect.
I'd like to see Mallett succeed but I fear the bolded is why he will start the season as the starter and be yanked by week 6.

Yeah watching our offense last night was miserable. Still pissed we didn't trade up a couple spots to grab Bridgewater. Hard to get excited for the season with Hoy-llett (a la AM 790) at QB

I agree completely on Bridgewater. We should have traded back into the first a couple spots just in case. Someone always trades into the bottom of the first to get a QB, especially with a QB needy team picking first in the 2nd. That decision is on Rick Smith imo unless the coaching staff really didn't like Teddy.

I agree completely on Bridgewater. We should have traded back into the first a couple spots just in case. Someone always trades into the bottom of the first to get a QB, especially with a QB needy team picking first in the 2nd. That decision is on Rick Smith imo unless the coaching staff really didn't like Teddy.
Absolutely. This is why I'll never come around to liking BOB. All he had to do was move up two spots and could have gotten Bridgewater and totally dropped the ball. Instead we're stuck with Su'a'filo who can't even crack the starting lineup. Unforgivable for someone who is supposed to be a Belichick protege.

jurb26 said:
Hoyer name the starter... Crickets?
Yep.

cc texan said:
jsharlan said:
Absolutely. This is why I'll never come around to liking BOB. All he had to do was move up two spots and could have gotten Bridgewater and totally dropped the ball. Instead we're stuck with Su'a'filo who can't even crack the starting lineup. Unforgivable for someone who is supposed to be a Belichick protege.
Hindsight is 20/20. Would it have been nice? Yes. Was it as obvious as you two revisionist historians are making it out to be? No. And FWIW, Bill Belichick typically trades back rather than trading up. Also, BOB isn't the GM. Rick Smith is strangely still employed at that position. The dude hasn't had a good draft since... whenever Owen Daniels was drafted. He did bring in Jonathan Joseph when Nnamdi was the big name and then busted (although I read that we did make a serious run at him), but he pays our LBs too much (way overpaid for Ryans and Cushing) while losing other positions* and can't seem to find any bargains in free agency.

*Still wish he'd found a way to keep Dunta Robinson and Glover Quin around.

Hindsight is 20/20 but when you run a team without a QB, the free agent market is completely barren, and its a weak draft class, you don't let someone jump you for arguely 1 of only 2 potentially starting caliber QBs. When you do, you trot out the Hoyers of the world and depend on your defense just to go .500, and continue waiting for a QB to build on. You cannot win in this league without a decent QB.

Also Dunta sucked at that point in his career, had a mouth, and #### the bed in Atlanta. It was the right decision. Letting Glover and Barwin go on the other hand was less than stellar. All of our LBs not named Cushing since losing Ryans and Barwin have been ####.

Hindsight is 20/20 but when you run a team without a QB, the free agent market is completely barren, and its a weak draft class, you don't let someone jump you for arguely 1 of only 2 potentially starting caliber QBs. When you do, you trot out the Hoyers of the world and depend on your defense just to go .500, and continue waiting for a QB to build on. You cannot win in this league without a decent QB.

Also Dunta sucked at that point in his career, had a mouth, and #### the bed in Atlanta. It was the right decision. Letting Glover and Barwin go on the other hand was less than stellar. All of our LBs not named Cushing since losing Ryans and Barwin have been ####.
We didn't "lose" Ryans. He was not effective in our scheme so we traded him and ate the cap number that year. It was a bad contract. He was at one point good, but linebackers grow on trees. They are the RB of the defense. Should never lock up too much money on one player at that position. Similarly, Cushing was good when he was juicing and then constantly injured after he got caught. Another bad contract.

Also, I believe Dunta had at least a couple good seasons in ATL according to PPF grades, but my memory could be faulty. If we hadn't lost him we wouldn't have spent a first on Kareem only to take two years to develop him. I mean, how many good years did we get out of Kareem and how many bad years? At least signing Dunta would've prevented that. If we liked him we could've signed him as a FA after someone else went through the growing pains.

jurb26 said:
Hoyer name the starter... Crickets?
It was kind of expected. Not really much to say about it that hasn't been said, is there?
I guess I haven't followed this as closely as others. I didn't think it was a heavy favorite for him to win it. Many said this was one of the biggest QB camp battles. Guess I'm just surprised it got like no mention after several hours in the open.

It wasn't a sure thing, but I think even those of who were kind of hoping for Mallett, figured Hoyer was going to win it.

So, on another subject, Charles James II sure did a lot to try to earn himself a roster spot last game. Seemed like every other special teams play he was making a big play somewhere on the field. Hope he can pick it up.

Kevin Johnson continued to look impressive to me when I watched him rather than following the ball. Guy gets tight on a receiver and just doesn't get lost very often. AJ Bouye had a couple of poor plays though from what I saw.

Also, I love the Quintin Demps signing. Was disappointed when he went to KC a couple of years ago. He should provide another option on kick returns. I'd still like to see them put Polk back there too.

BOB apparently said that he's not playing to playing his starters a lot in the 3rd preseason game. Just a heads up so people aren't too disappointed who were hoping to see actual football from them this preseason.

Some thoughts after the 3rd preseason game.

Had hoped Polk would look better than he did today. It wasn't exactly the best blocking anyone has had, but I thought he left some yards on the field tonight.

Rick Smith gets a lot of criticism for his drafts, and a lot of it is deserved. But that said... going into last season it felt like Houston had 2 CBs and no one behind them that should even see the field. Now we've seen the guys he picked up last year and he did well. They have 3 worthy of being in a team's starting pair in JJo, Kareem and KJo. But then more impressive is behind them there's at least another 3 vying to be CB4 who are probably good enough to be above average CB3s. And actually if you count Andre Hal who moved to safety and may start, it would be 4. And that isn't even counting James II, who I don't know if he's a good enough corner to add into that group, but with his special teams and versatility, they have to find a way to keep him on the team. Yes, lots of draft picks missed and criticism of Smith is still warranted, but he hasn't completely fallen on his face in getting talent onto the team.

Speaking of corners, if they don't keep 7, I wonder how much chance Bouye is the odd man out. He's made a lot of mistakes in preseason.

I feel pretty decent about safety going into the season. Not a sure thing they will be a strength, but I like our chances there better than last year. I hope they find a way to keep Demps.

Hoyer and Mallett both played pretty well, though Mallett got off to a slow start. Savage looked decent too for that matter.

I mentioned to a friend at the 2nd preseason game that I wondered if Mumphrey might beat out the other receivers for the 5th WR spot. He could end up as the primary returner. He had some ups and downs again this week as a receiver. Before this I'd kind of felt it was Damaris Johnson's spot to lose, and at least in games haven't seen a lot from him that I can recall. I wonder if he's losing it. I'm assuming Jaelen Strong gets the 4th spot. I could even see Keshawn Martin getting the 5th spot ahead of Damaris. But Mumphrey is still my surprise pick to make the roster there.

Anyone else get the feeling that our 4th and 5th TEs may not be much worse than our top 3? And I say that half as compliment to Khari Lee and Denham, and half as insult to Graham, Griffin and Fiedorowicz.

Users who are viewing this thread