What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017-18 NBA (Playoffs): A gasping, wheezing thread begs message board poster arguing how Jordan never lost a Finals to just let it die in peace (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF LBJ is willing to take a back seat...and I think he is it can work out in Philly. This season with the Cavs was a wake up call/reminder to everyone that LBJ can't do it alone. Let the young guys do the heavy lifting and LBJ can take over in crunch time.

I'm pretty sure LeBron will be happy to dump it in the post to Embiid. If a team doubles Embiid, Embiid will kick it back out to LBJ who has a defender running at him and let the scramble begin. If the team doesn't double Embiid, let the big man work and LBJ and Simmons can crash the offensive boards for clean up. If they sag off LBJ to deny the post entry, LBJ is a good enough 3 point shooter to hit wide open 3s. Simple. Simmons man could help off a bit, but if you stick Simmons on the other side of the floor it's harder to help without illegal D. 

Philly team with LBJ would kill it on 2nd chance points to make up for the average 3s.

IF LBJ is willing to take a back seat...and I think he is it can work out in Philly. This season with the Cavs was a wake up call/reminder to everyone that LBJ can't do it alone. Let the young guys do the heavy lifting and LBJ can take over in crunch time.

I'm pretty sure LeBron will be happy to dump it in the post to Embiid. If a team doubles Embiid, Embiid will kick it back out to LBJ who has a defender running at him and let the scramble begin. If the team doesn't double Embiid, let the big man work and LBJ and Simmons can crash the offensive boards for clean up. If they sag off LBJ to deny the post entry, LBJ is a good enough 3 point shooter to hit wide open 3s. Simple. Simmons man could help off a bit, but if you stick Simmons on the other side of the floor it's harder to help without illegal D. 

Philly team with LBJ would kill it on 2nd chance points to make up for the average 3s.
Plus they'll surround them with cheap shooters. Reddick has said he wants to come back and would do so for way cheaper. The deal this year was more about getting to the salary floor and investing long term. He got paid basically 3 years worth of salary in one.

Covington is so jekyl and Hyde but when he's on, he can drain 3's. Saric made a huge improvement from year 1 to year 2. We can only hope he gets even better this year. If they can get some vets like Bellinelli and Ilyasova to come in for cheap, they'll have enough 3's to go around for the regular season and most of the playoffs. It's the finals against the Warriors where the question becomes if it's enough.

Plus they'll surround them with cheap shooters. Reddick has said he wants to come back and would do so for way cheaper. The deal this year was more about getting to the salary floor and investing long term. He got paid basically 3 years worth of salary in one.

Covington is so jekyl and Hyde but when he's on, he can drain 3's. Saric made a huge improvement from year 1 to year 2. We can only hope he gets even better this year. If they can get some vets like Bellinelli and Ilyasova to come in for cheap, they'll have enough 3's to go around for the regular season and most of the playoffs. It's the finals against the Warriors where the question becomes if it's enough.
i am hoping Furkan can do something this year. The kid is still so skinny, but the reporters etc. would say they would watch him before games drain every single 3 he took. he has to get some game time, but will be fun to watch his growth

Not that anyone cares what Jalen Rose thinks, but in his opinion the only way LeBron wins a title next year is playing for the Celtics or Warriors.

Not that anyone cares what Jalen Rose thinks, but in his opinion the only way LeBron wins a title next year is playing for the Celtics or Warriors.
You can add the Rockets to the list. Then there about 5ish other teams in the East that would get him to the finals. Then he is a rolled ankle, suspension or hamstring on the other team  away from a title. Jalen Rose is an idiot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You can add the Rockets to the list. Then there about 5ish other teams in the East that would get him to the finals. Then he is a rolled ankle, suspension or hamstring on the other team  away from a title. Jalen Rose is an idiot. 
I think there's pretty close to zero chance he signs with HOU given the salary cap implications, assuming they max CP which they have been alluding to.

I think there's pretty close to zero chance he signs with HOU given the salary cap implications, assuming they max CP which they have been alluding to.
But that wasn't what Anarchy said. There is almost a zero percent chance he signs with the Warriors and the Celtics have a ton of salary cap gymnastics for them to get LeBron. 

But that wasn't what Anarchy said. There is almost a zero percent chance he signs with the Warriors and the Celtics have a ton of salary cap gymnastics for them to get LeBron. 
Yes but they are much more achievable than HOU's salary cap gymnastics and they would both have better squads than HOU would be able to field.  I really don't see how, if he wants to win a championship, he signs with anyone other than those two.  Possibly Phiily but that's such a bad fit skill set wise IMO.

I agree that it is unlikely that the Celtics would end up with LeBron, but all they would have to do is trade one of Horford / Hayward / Kyrie and add in Marcus Morris and they would be pretty close to being able to sign James. They also could work a sign and trade with CLE (or they could swing a 3 way trade). It's not that complicated if they wanted to try to do it (although I don't think they will be that pot committed to LeBron). I still think Ainge has a man crush on AD and would move heaven and earth to acquire him (and he is 8 years younger than James).

I agree that it is unlikely that the Celtics would end up with LeBron, but all they would have to do is trade one of Horford / Hayward / Kyrie and add in Marcus Morris and they would be pretty close to being able to sign James. They also could work a sign and trade with CLE (or they could swing a 3 way trade). It's not that complicated if they wanted to try to do it (although I don't think they will be that pot committed to LeBron). I still think Ainge has a man crush on AD and would move heaven and earth to acquire him (and he is 8 years younger than James).
I haven't looked lately, but it would only work for the Celtics if they did a sign and trade with Cleveland. I don't think there is another team in the league that can take 30 million in salary without giving back any salary. 

it's a terrible match - and as someone who thinks Simmons will be a Top 5 player for a decade, i hate to see his development impeded this way - but, since it's been in the wind for a month or so, i been thinking about it.

i know @ LSU, Simmons didn't start plays from the top but hung the left side, not far from where Love goes in a Cavs set, and worked in til he got to the hole or the double came up, then shot or kicked, respectively. that would work, w LeBrohan & the PG taking the top & right and doing a "my play, your play" thing like Harden & Paul do in Houston (except they'll kick to a secondary drive instead of a spot-up). LBJ should solve some of Simmons' prob with defenses sagging back on him though as Stevens did.

Embiid is going to be as much a problem because, though, he'll go out once he's established himself low, he eats the space that the Kang likes clear. it will be ugly but, with that level of talent, devastating
I agree with this take. Obviously adding LeBron will make the team better overall (duh), but I think the Sixers would be better off long term signing Klay Thompson and a couple of other guys.  I believe that the Sixers can win multiple championships with Simmons as the primary playmaker.  

Yes but they are much more achievable than HOU's salary cap gymnastics and they would both have better squads than HOU would be able to field.  I really don't see how, if he wants to win a championship, he signs with anyone other than those two.  Possibly Phiily but that's such a bad fit skill set wise IMO.
I think Houston and the Celtics are the same with the salary cap.  Supporting cast you are right, the Celtics would be much better and the Warriors is impossible unless let Durant go. 

And they have 4 2019 firsts they can use as deal sweeteners.

I agree with this take. Obviously adding LeBron will make the team better overall (duh), but I think the Sixers would be better off long term signing Klay Thompson and a couple of other guys.  I believe that the Sixers can win multiple championships with Simmons as the primary playmaker.  
Klay already said he will give the Warriors a hometown discount and wants to stay with the Warriors. 

I haven't looked lately, but it would only work for the Celtics if they did a sign and trade with Cleveland. I don't think there is another team in the league that can take 30 million in salary without giving back any salary. 
While unlikely, the C's could really sweeten the pot by throwing in someone like Scary Terry and the Kings pick from next year . . . but I would guess Boston would be more inclined to use those chips in a trade for someone like Davis or Leonard (and I don't see them getting either of them).

Oddly enough, the easiest logistical way to get LeBron on the Celtics is to have him do a sign and trade and then ship Kyrie back to Cleveland (along with a couple others). Again, highly unlikely but potentially doable.

I think Houston and the Celtics are the same with the salary cap.  Supporting cast you are right, the Celtics would be much better and the Warriors is impossible unless let Durant go. 
Or Klay and Draymond.  The difference between the Celts and HOU is that BOS can move a big salary, ie Kyrie and or Heyward.  HOU needs to keep theirs.

Or Klay and Draymond.  The difference between the Celts and HOU is that BOS can move a big salary, ie Kyrie and or Heyward.  HOU needs to keep theirs.
I wouldn't be surprised if LeBron said he would go to Houston, then Paul would take a discount to get him there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be surprised if LeBron said he would go to Houston, then Paul would take a discount to get him there. 
I am not a capologist, but I am not sure HOU could fit LeBron, Harden, and Paul under the cap short of doing a sign and trade and going WAYYYYY over the cap (and paying a premium in luxury tax). Bottom line, of the top tier teams, the only one with much cap space is PHI.

CP3 already took a major financial risk last season - I'll be blown away if he doesn't get his financially this time.  He'd be insane not to, IMO. 

I am not a capologist, but I am not sure HOU could fit LeBron, Harden, and Paul under the cap short of doing a sign and trade and going WAYYYYY over the cap (and paying a premium in luxury tax). Bottom line, of the top tier teams, the only one with much cap space is PHI.
Neither am I , but I read an article some where that broke it down. They could have LeBron, Paul, Harden, Capela, and Gordon if they find someone to take Nene, Anderson and another player. Then fill out the roster with veteran minimum and rookies. I will try to find it when I get home. 

CP3 already took a major financial risk last season - I'll be blown away if he doesn't get his financially this time.  He'd be insane not to, IMO. 
No he didn't. By opting in and getting traded he can get the super max deal. By just leaving as a free agent last year he couldn't. 

Neither am I , but I read an article some where that broke it down. They could have LeBron, Paul, Harden, Capela, and Gordon if they find someone to take Nene, Anderson and another player. Then fill out the roster with veteran minimum and rookies. I will try to find it when I get home. 
THIS is probably the article, but it would involve LeBron and Paul playing for a combined $47 million (so a pretty deep discount).

Lonzo dropping a Kuzma diss track while LeBron is considering free agency seems like really stupid timing.  He doesn't want to play with children.

No he didn't. By opting in and getting traded he can get the super max deal. By just leaving as a free agent last year he couldn't. 
CP3 is 33.  Had he torn an ACL last year, he wouldn't be getting max offers.  If Houston supermaxes him, IMO it's clear there was an under the table understanding last offseason.  W/o it, no way he gets Supermax money.  He's too old and injured way too often.  

Either way - sounds like we agree that CP3 isn't going to leave money on the table this offseason.  Right? 

Lonzo dropping a Kuzma diss track while LeBron is considering free agency seems like really stupid timing.  He doesn't want to play with children.
Those two have fun on social media.  I'm guessing this is just more of that.  

If not, tie Zo to Deng and ship their asses out.  Stat. 

Paul, Harden, Capella, and Gordon already put  them at 88M.

CP3 is 33.  Had he torn an ACL last year, he wouldn't be getting max offers.  If Houston supermaxes him, IMO it's clear there was an under the table understanding last offseason.  W/o it, no way he gets Supermax money.  He's too old and injured way too often.  

Either way - sounds like we agree that CP3 isn't going to leave money on the table this offseason.  Right? 
Depends on LeBron in my opinion. If no LeBron them he will want the super max. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread