What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Elections Thread (2 Viewers)

I've mentioned a bunch of times around here that the narrative about the Dem messaging is far from the truth.  They're focused on the issues they should be focused on, health care and the tax scam. Cable news is falling for the Trump "outrageous nonsense of the day" trap, but the candidates are not. Here is more evidence of this:

If anyone still thinks Democrats don't have a message focus in this election -- they do, and it's health care. New analysis finds it was mentioned in 61% of Democratic House ads between mid-September and mid-October.

From a first past the post, horse race POV, watching demographics change states' colors over the years certainly is something interesting to observe. I'm guilty of doing it all the time. But it really gets in the way of debating more modern and effective voting methods that enhance the democratic process, things like proportional voting, approval voting and instant runoff.

You pointed out five really good candidates for turning blue, as domestic immigrants flock to the cities and the hispanic populations continue to grow. Oddly enough, some of the old Rust Belt states are swinging in the other direction. But those states are losing representatives while the southern and western states are gaining them.

Oh, Congress needs to be 200% bigger, too.
So do you mean 970 or 1305?

Oh yeah. But the demographics are aligned right now that about 30% of the population will dominate the Senate for years to come. We'll be lucky to have social security or Medicare by the time that bunch is through ravaging the nation and a big enough portion of the electorate finally cries "enough."
It’s total armageddon as an army of protestors have overloaded messagboards everywhere with angry rants and ironic memes.  Netflix streaming speeds have slowed to a crawl.  People have had enough!!!  If it wasn’t drizzling outside they might even be angry enough to vote!!!

Ballot box access will be more difficult in Dodge City, Kansas, where Hispanics make up 60% of the 27,000 residents.

The city has only one polling site. Officials moved it this year outside city limits to a facility more than a mile from a bus stop.

https://www.kansas.com/news/business/article220286260.html

:angry:

In other words, in order to vote you have get the hell out of Dodge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that the original effort to fund key state legislature campaigns is over the $200,000 mark, the long-awaited sequel is here.

Give Smart 2: Give Smarter

Looks like they're already up over $55,000, setting up the possibility of Give Smart 3: Give With a Vengeance.  For those who missed it earlier, here's some backstory about this effort. That writeup also includes a link to more detailed information about the eight candidates they chose for this round.

We're all we got, we're all we need.
As anticipated ...

Give Smart 3: Give With a Vengeance

Going hard after the Ohio legislature here.

They've raised over $500,000 so far.  Absolutely amazing.  I'll stop posting each new one here, don't want to turn the FFA into a fundraising site.  If you want more you can follow @SeanMcElwee,  @bobbybigwheel, @dataprogress or @launchprogress on Twitter.  If you gave, you have my eternal gratitude and a standing offer for a round of beers next time you're in DC. If you didn't, you have a standing offer for a round of beers.

As anticipated ...

Going hard after the Ohio legislature here.

They've raised over $500,000 so far.  Absolutely amazing.  I'll stop posting each new one here, don't want to turn the FFA into a fundraising site.  If you want more you can follow @SeanMcElwee,  @bobbybigwheel, @dataprogress or @launchprogress on Twitter.  If you gave, you have my eternal gratitude and a standing offer for a round of beers next time you're in DC. If you didn't, you have a standing offer for a round of beers.
☝️☝️☝️

As anticipated ...

Thanks for this.  Donated some more.

roadkill1292 said:
At another board one of the righties called lawsuits against Republicans for election law violation as "Democratic voter suppression tactics." I crap you not.
It's nice to be able to make political arguments unfettered by facts or accuracy.

Now that the original effort to fund key state legislature campaigns is over the $200,000 mark, the long-awaited sequel is here.

Give Smart 2: Give Smarter

Looks like they're already up over $55,000, setting up the possibility of Give Smart 3: Give With a Vengeance.  For those who missed it earlier, here's some backstory about this effort. That writeup also includes a link to more detailed information about the eight candidates they chose for this round.

We're all we got, we're all we need.
Done

Man considering MSNBC is supposed to be the propaganda arm of the Dems I can’t believe what I’m seeing. Fox couldn’t do a better job of talking down dems. 

Marsha Blackburn had a 14 point lead. Now it’s a 3 point lead. The Taylor Swift affect? 
It needs to get even lower.  Hopefully people tire of her negative campaign.

Also very tired of the negative ads against either of the that the candidates don’t even endorse.  So much money spent mostly in complete falsehoods.

From the twitters:

Austin, Texas -- First day of early vote through 10am has surpassed the entirety of the first day of early vote in 2014.

Here's something new and despicable:

In local elections here in Washington, a GOP PAC is sending out mailers attacking Democratic candidates that are supposedly from progressives asking for a write-in vote.   All of the individuals named as write-in candidates have disavowed these mailers and endorse the Democratic candidates who are being attacked in their names.  

Outright lies.

Here's something new and despicable:

In local elections here in Washington, a GOP PAC is sending out mailers attacking Democratic candidates that are supposedly from progressives asking for a write-in vote.   All of the individuals named as write-in candidates have disavowed these mailers and endorse the Democratic candidates who are being attacked in their names.  

Outright lies.
Seems, you know, illegal. 

Went to early voting today.  Decent stream of people coming through.  Heard a worker talking that people had claimed there were two hour lines but he never saw such a thing.  Someone tryung to limit voting.

Old people love to early vote and work at polling places. 

538 Has democrats with enough seats that at least lean blue for them to take the house

Oct 22 @ 1:32 

• Solid Blue: 192
  • Likely Blue: 16
  • Lean Blue: 10
They can now theoretically lose all the toss-up seats and still have a majority.  Granted this is unlikely, but I have been watching for this phenomenon. 
yeah its been slowly climbing for two weeks.  not sure why, maybe still Kavanaugh not playing in the burbs, but who knows...
I think it is Kavanaugh, but mostly the outrage is over.  He got confirmed.  There is still 2 more weeks for the next outrage of the GOP Mob to try to ignite though.

yeah its been slowly climbing for two weeks.  not sure why, maybe still Kavanaugh not playing in the burbs, but who knows...
The 538 model uses individual fundraising as one of its measures and lots of Dems have been reporting huge numbers for the third quarter.  That's why there's a jump in the odds starting with the second week of October compared to the flatter polls-only "lite" forecast.  The nerds on twitter debated just how meaningful that fundraising is, and why it's meaningful (whether it's the money itself or what it says about enthusiasm). Dems have also been getting some good numbers in individual races in those NY Times interactive polls recently.

Wow!  Republicans are ####ed!  In line now for early voting in Texas.  I’ve voted at this same polling place on Election Day for Presidential elections and the line was less than half as long.  I’ve got about a football field of line between me and the booth.  Amazing.  Turnout may be much, much higher than expected on the Left.  
Where in Texas?

The liberal "hotbed" of Texas. I don't know how much that'll mean in the context of the entire state. I'm not saying its nothing, I'm just saying it seems a little bubbleish.
certainly can't hurt in the statewide races, but yeah, cautious optimism....

Again from twitter:

Reports from all over Texas: In Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, The Valley, Lubbock, etc., wait times are 30 minutes to an hour at traditionally empty polling places #TXSen

The liberal "hotbed" of Texas. I don't know how much that'll mean in the context of the entire state. I'm not saying its nothing, I'm just saying it seems a little bubbleish.
Seems to me that higher than normal turnout in the liberal hotbed is the best thing that can happen for the Dems.  It's perfectly fine if the rest of the state doesn't have the same kind of turnout.

Lots of early voting, but it's not necessarily a good thing for Democrats.

Republicans outpacing Democrats in early voting in key states, NBC News finds

The data suggests enthusiasm among early GOP voters that could put a dent in Democratic hopes for a "blue wave" in the midterms.

In Texas — where Republican Sen. Ted Cruz is attempting to hold off Democratic Rep. Beto O'Rourke — 53 percent of early voters had a Republican affiliation, compared with 43 percent who had a Democratic affiliation and 4 percent who were not affiliated with either party.

gotta be.  how else would they know?  unless they're doing exit polling.
Could be a combination of registration for absentee and exit polling for in-person early voting.   I looked for methodology on NBC and TargetSmart and couldn't find it.

Seems to me that higher than normal turnout in the liberal hotbed is the best thing that can happen for the Dems.  It's perfectly fine if the rest of the state doesn't have the same kind of turnout.
Ed Espinoza‏ @EdEspinoza 1h1 hour ago

More

Houston/Harris County set a record with 60,000 early votes cast today. Previous record was 47,000 in 2008

El Paso - previous midterm early vote daily record was 7,000 on the FINAL day. They blew past 8,200 at 2 pm.

IMO information about early voting patterns is useless unless it includes comparisons to the base demographics and to other midterm elections.  For example one of the states they cite here in Indiana, where you need to have a reason to vote early.  In Tennessee and Texas anyone can vote early, but only people with an excuse can submit early absentee ballots. People with reasons to vote early or use absentee ballots tend to skew old (for obvious reasons) and thus Republican (for obvious reasons). So it's possible that the Dems are overperforming past years.  It's also possible they're underperforming, or that they're on a similar pace to past years which obviously wouldn't be enough in those states.

And even a simple comparison to the last two midterm numbers probably isn't enough.  It would probably shortchange the GOP, because obviously they're not gonna do as well as they did in those two years, nor do they have to in order to keep the House and improve their numbers in the Senate. To get a good picture you gotta compare the splits to data going back several midterms.

Basically IMO you should ignore people trying to read tea leaves from early returns, unless it's a recognized expert who really knows what they're doing. This guy in Nevada, for example.  Compare the level of analysis he's doing in his twitter feed to that article.

I just heard my local Sheriff (Michigan) on the radio in regards to Proposal 2 (recreational pot).  He said "I spoke with the Sheriff of Colorado and he said pot will cause people to go into psychosis and jump out of windows."  

Sheriff of Colorado?  :lmao:

Williamson county (north of Austin), voter turnout on day 1 was  nearly 5x that of 2014, higher than 2016.

I just heard my local Sheriff (Michigan) on the radio in regards to Proposal 2 (recreational pot).  He said "I spoke with the Sheriff of Colorado and he said pot will cause people to go into psychosis and jump out of windows."  

Sheriff of Colorado?  :lmao:
He may as well have said "I spoke with the Sheriff of a 1950s educational film..."

Gross:

Dave Brat VA 7th @DaveBratVA7th

Spanberger cannot hide from the fact that her campaign is funded by far-left special interests: $2.2 mil from Act Blue, $337k from House Victory Project, and $562k from House Majority PAC.
Act Blue isn't a special interest group, it's a service for collecting small campaign donations from individuals.  And the other two are just party PACs, not special interests. He's accusing his opponent of collecting special interest donations when she's actually doing the exact opposite. Meanwhile he's taking money from the Kochs and Altria (Phillip Morris), among others. A blatantly hypocritical lie.

Users who are viewing this thread