What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Elections Thread (1 Viewer)

I just voted in south Austin. 6pm local time. Full house, running smoothly, few minute wait. 20 voting machines, all occupied

Last edited by a moderator:
Nate Silver‏Verified account @NateSilver538 Oct 17

It's that time of the election cycle when we start seeing reports about early voting! My advice is to literally just ignore everything.

We have several contested elections here in Wisconsin involving Republicans who strongly align with Trump, including our governor who was bitterly opposed to Trump 2 years ago.  Trump is here in the state today campaigning for several of them.  Based on the ads bombarding me the past few days, the GOP message is one of fear. It can be boiled down to one simple message - "If you vote for my Democratic opponent, a brown person will rape and kill you."  The statements in these ads are truly only slightly more nuanced than this, but it is clear that is the central message they are putting out.

We have several contested elections here in Wisconsin involving Republicans who strongly align with Trump, including our governor who was bitterly opposed to Trump 2 years ago.  Trump is here in the state today campaigning for several of them.  Based on the ads bombarding me the past few days, the GOP message is one of fear. It can be boiled down to one simple message - "If you vote for my Democratic opponent, a brown person will rape and kill you."  The statements in these ads are truly only slightly more nuanced than this, but it is clear that is the central message they are putting out.
Fear is all they have got.  

I find the fact that voter suppression in America is a real factor in elections amazing.  

In Canada, you can vote as long as you have some form of ID.  You do t even need to establish your fixed address.  There is a bunch of paperwork for that (happened to me once when I had just moved), but you can still vote.  

The #### I’m reading about active voter suppression measures being taken are shocking to me.  

Booker testified on Menendez's behalf at his corruption trial.  Here’s Menendez tearfully thanking Booker for backing him since Day One.  

You're probably correct that he will win anyway.  Being staggeringly corrupt didn't stop Cuomo from being backed by top party brass and winning re-election in a landslide $25M advantage, and it certainly won't stop Menendez either.  
Glenn Greenwald @ggreenwald

After Chuck Schumer and his fellow national Democrats united behind a bribe-taking, dirty career politician in @SenatorMenendez - thereby driving his progressive challenger out of the race - he now has to put $3 million into New Jersey to save what would've been a safe blue seat:

"Yes, @SenatorMenendez was indicted on multiple felony bribery counts by the Obama DOJ, escaping with a hung jury, and yes, he was "severely admonished" by the Senate Ethics Committee for all this, but we're still going to unite behind him *in the Dem primary*." - @TheDemocrats

Umm....

AJ+‏Verified account @ajplus

FollowFollow @ajplus

More

Texas election officials confirmed that voting machines used in 30% of its counties (including its biggest) are switching people’s votes, including the Senate race between Ted Cruz and Beto O’Rourke. The GOP-appointed officials say they have "no legal authority" to update them.
So they're not very "official". FIX IT

So for SC District 1 Charleston, SC (low country) region (Mark Sanford's) its Trump lackey Katie Arrington vs Joe Cunningham.  DEM Cunningham with signs out saying "Low Country over Party".  

Off shore drilling here is a sensitive issue and Arrington on record supporting it.  Should be interesting.

sounds like user error.
Kind of. Officials are confirming the issue. I'm guessing these weren't set up to be particularly accurate and some are tapping the name they want but not exactly, and the machines are probably so poorly set up they track it as a Cruz selection. 

There have been reports of older people struggling with this issue too. Some are figuring it out and fixing it but I'm guessing some percent of them just leave it as is for whatever reason. 

What it sounded like is that if you went too fast or you held the toggle button too long, the page would turn and it would toggle a vote you didn't intend to change. Like a timing thing on loading pages and the physical controls.

Probably a poorly designed interface that wasn't beta tested sufficiently to insure that users' intentions were accurately recorded.

It often takes a long time for advanced ideas in democracy to become a reality but Representative Don Beyer, a Virginia Democrat, has sponsored the Fair Representation Act, a bill that would "mandate multimember congressional districts, ban gerrymandering, and require a process in House races by which voters would indicate ranked preferences for multiple candidates in multimember districts to make the chamber more representative of people’s preferences."

That Atlantic piece spells out the details. I was pleased to see that my own rep, Jamie Raskin, was an early co-sponsor. 

Beyer estimates a multi-decade process to make this a reality but the current systems in place rewarding minority rule and unfair districting practices may encourage the next generations of voters to get on board. Baby steps but I'm really encouraged that there are people in Congress right now who are willing to reform our decrepit systems in favor of something that just makes more sense. The article points out the obvious attractions for Democrats and wonders if support will plateau once they have a majority in the House. I doubt Republicans would ever come around until and if they become such a small minority that they'll grasp at any changes that might help them and I'm not holding my breath until that happens.

From the 538 roundup, Dem candidates' focus on health care is forcing Republicans to address the issue and making them back off their attacks on the pre-existing portions of Obamacare.

I still think the shift in public opinion on this issue has caught Repubs napping and it's something that they never wanted to deal with. We're heading down the path of a Social Security-like event.
I hope you're right. But still, it's like the Rs messed this one up like the Dems typically would.  How did the Rs not get the message after losing so many repeal attempts?

From the 538 roundup, Dem candidates' focus on health care is forcing Republicans to address the issue and making them back off their attacks on the pre-existing portions of Obamacare.

I still think the shift in public opinion on this issue has caught Repubs napping and it's something that they never wanted to deal with. We're heading down the path of a Social Security-like event.
I really wish I had faith in that happening. 

Dems go out all out anti-NRA/ant gun violence as their main talking points after today yes?  I think they should have been hitting how cozy the GOP is with the NRA and how nothing has been done about gun violence since they've been in power anyway. 

What it sounded like is that if you went too fast or you held the toggle button too long, the page would turn and it would toggle a vote you didn't intend to change. Like a timing thing on loading pages and the physical controls.

Probably a poorly designed interface that wasn't beta tested sufficiently to insure that users' intentions were accurately recorded.
And yet there have been zero reports of Cruz votes changing to Beto

Dems go out all out anti-NRA/ant gun violence as their main talking points after today yes?
If anything, the Democrats should tone down the attacks on the NRA. They're already getting every single "anti NRA" vote. If they go on the offensive, then they run the risk of motivating thousands of pro-gun independents to vote Republican.

If anything, the Democrats should tone down the attacks on the NRA. They're already getting every single "anti NRA" vote. If they go on the offensive, then they run the risk of motivating thousands of pro-gun independents to vote Republican.
This perception is the main reason we never get any gun control laws. The NRA is thought to be much more powerful than they actually are. 

This perception is the main reason we never get any gun control laws. The NRA is thought to be much more powerful than they actually are. 
Tim, the perception was reality for many years. The NRA easily destroyed anyone who farted in their general direction. The times may be changing, but I don't see any advantage to going after the NRA right now. Democrats are highly motivated already.

I just don't see an upside in the strategy. What demographic are you going to pick up that you don't already have? "Independents who favor Trump but are open to gun control"? That seems like a pretty small category to me.

[scooter] said:
Tim, the perception was reality for many years. The NRA easily destroyed anyone who farted in their general direction. The times may be changing, but I don't see any advantage to going after the NRA right now. Democrats are highly motivated already.

I just don't see an upside in the strategy. What demographic are you going to pick up that you don't already have? "Independents who favor Trump but are open to gun control"? That seems like a pretty small category to me.
Agreed. Let's win something first, then maybe something can be done.

Since this is the election thread, we really should spend some time talking about the newly elected Brazilian president Jair Bosonaro, whom Trump has congratulated and is excited about. This dude is an extreme right wing demagogue who loves to spread hate. 

Users who are viewing this thread