What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread! Current thread batting average: .420 (1 Viewer)

Andre Ethier is retiring after a 12 year career with 24.5 rWAR.  He was a consistent every day player in his prime in spite of never hitting LHP very well.

Billy Beane's trade of a 23 year old Ethier for Milton Bradley wasn't one of Beane's finest moments.  Bradley was arguably the better talent but he was a wife beating, clubhouse trouble, nut case; the polar opposite of Ethier's steady professionalism.

His B-R comps are pretty familiar and mostly modern

1.     Dmitri Young (950.5)
  2.     Kevin Millar (939.1)
  3.     Jacque Jones (934.3)
  4.     Shin-Soo Choo (934.3)
  5.     Bobby Higginson (932.2)
  6.     Rondell White (928.7)
  7.     Brian Jordan (926.6)
  8.     Mike Greenwell (925.2)
  9.     Wally Moon (924.5)
  10.     Hideki Matsui (923.6)

Happy to Yankees
What do you think about the trade? I love it but yankees boards are going nuts that Cash got robbed giving up 4 years of control of a major league for a rental. I see a yankees team desperate for a starter getting one that has been good the last few years and has dominated the Sox for a guy who has no place on the team and hasn't really done much when he does play. 

shadyridr said:
What do you think about the trade? I love it but yankees boards are going nuts that Cash got robbed giving up 4 years of control of a major league for a rental. I see a yankees team desperate for a starter getting one that has been good the last few years and has dominated the Sox for a guy who has no place on the team and hasn't really done much when he does play. 
Great deal for Yanks IMO. Drury was great insurance in case Andujar wasn't ready, now that he's doing fine Drury is pretty expendable. The prospect they gave up seems like a 4A type or maybe a platoon guy at best. Definitely worth it to make a run at a chip. 

shadyridr said:
Those people are nuts. This is a fine deal for both parties. Jays get decent pieces who will probably never be stars, but still decent. Yankees won't miss that and they get help this year. 

Even as the official #1 Fan of Juan Soto™ even I'm surprised at how good he is.  Monster homer, triple, and a single tonight and the outfield never knows how to play him.  The Marlins had the CF in LC and Soto lined a shot to the RCF gap on the triple.  His flyballs are almost always to left and center, but he also has 6 homers to right and most have been bombs.  His line drives go everywhere, line to line. 

He has 38 walks, 45 k's, 28 extra base hits, a .348 BABIP, and a .413 wOBA in 240 PAs.  I said I thought Mattingly was his best comp, and it you look at Mattingly's healthy years he used all fields with power and precision.  Soto strikes out twice as much (19%), but also walks twice as much (16%).

I would think some regression would come simply because he's still 250 PAs away from having 1000 for his professional career. But the average might actually go up from .310, it's at least sustainable.  I would suspect he can't maintain a 16% walk rate, but he's pretty much defied expectations thus far.  So good. 

Even as the official #1 Fan of Juan Soto™ even I'm surprised at how good he is.  Monster homer, triple, and a single tonight and the outfield never knows how to play him.  The Marlins had the CF in LC and Soto lined a shot to the RCF gap on the triple.  His flyballs are almost always to left and center, but he also has 6 homers to right and most have been bombs.  His line drives go everywhere, line to line. 

He has 38 walks, 45 k's, 28 extra base hits, a .348 BABIP, and a .413 wOBA in 240 PAs.  I said I thought Mattingly was his best comp, and it you look at Mattingly's healthy years he used all fields with power and precision.  Soto strikes out twice as much (19%), but also walks twice as much (16%).

I would think some regression would come simply because he's still 250 PAs away from having 1000 for his professional career. But the average might actually go up from .310, it's at least sustainable.  I would suspect he can't maintain a 16% walk rate, but he's pretty much defied expectations thus far.  So good. 
Pretty sick to think harper is expendable now

shadyridr said:
Good move but shaw at 2b seems like a disaster
I've divested myself of all Brewers in fantasy and i guess i was right - they've now flooded their corners as they did w their OF then MI

Last edited by a moderator:
A nice, albeit tainted return
The Giles/Osuna part makes so much sense, Jays can rebuild his value/confidence in low pressure environment and whether you agree with their strategy or not, it fits in age/timeline wise with their other recent additions - Grichuk, Drury, etc... 

I'm mostly surprised they got two decent prospects on top of Giles.

Someone on Twitter said it best

Warren for international money and Austin for Lance Lynn is the kind of upgrades at the deadline all Yankees fans were looking for

Warren has never been a full-time SP.

I'd assume Lynn will work from the bullpen until a need arises elsewhere  A Lynn trade would get blocked in August and lot can happen in two months.
Cessa and Sheffield can fill in. Meh 5.5 bb/9ip is atrocious

The Mets holding onto deGrom and Syndergard thinking they are close to competing next year is great shtick. 
They have some good pieces. 

Conforto, Nimmo, Rosario, Alonso, Gimenez, and all that pitching. They run that outfit like they were in Milwaukee and not New York, making them really hard to root for. 

They have some good pieces. 

Conforto, Nimmo, Rosario, Alonso, Gimenez, and all that pitching. They run that outfit like they were in Milwaukee and not New York, making them really hard to root for. 
Plus with Harper likely gone, the NL east is wide open. The Phils and Braves look exciting, but both far from a sure thing. 

Passan saying Tommy Phan to the Rays.

Archer deal?

ETA: I guess not. "Source: Genesis Cabrera, Justin Williams and Roel Ramirez are headed to St. Louis for Tommy Pham"

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread