What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NHL Offseason Thread - Evander Gets Lightweight Suspension (2 Viewers)

Justin Faulk rumoured to be on the move...

...for each of the last five seasons.
@FriedgeHNIC: Something to keep an eye on: there have been ongoing conversations between CAR and ANA about a Justin Faulk trade, but there are still details to be worked out (1/2)...

@FriedgeHNIC: Faulk has a partial NTC — which lists the Ducks — and it is believed ANA wishes to pursue an extension. No one will comment on the likelihood of it occurring, but it has been intensely discussed

No bargain but fair market value on both sides

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Sounds like PHI and RFA D Ivan Provorov have agreed to terms on a six year contract.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: AAV expected to be just under $7M for   Provorov.

Marner 6 years, 10.89 M per

Toronto has 3 of the top AAV players in the league. All the RFAs who haven't signed yet should be happy. 

How in the heck are they fitting this all together in the salary cap?

Bringing in some Pee-wee players?

When does the lockout start?

Last edited by a moderator:
@DownGoesBrown: The Leafs' top six forwards by cap hit are signed for an additional 26 years combined beyond this coming season. Their top eight defensemen are signed for a total of two (both Rielly).

@DownGoesBrown: The Leafs' top six forwards by cap hit are signed for an additional 26 years combined beyond this coming season. Their top eight defensemen are signed for a total of two (both Rielly).
If they try to resign Barrie - that has to be near 8M minimum (And trust me Newport Sports is ruthless) - so they will have 13 player signed with 7M left for the rest of the roster of at least 10 players - not sure you can find 10 players at an average of 700K since league min will be $750K

Barrie - Rielly and then a bunch of league minimum guys on D. Going to need to light it up like the 80's Oil.

@CapFriendly: Ivan Provorov #Flyers
$6.75M x 6 years

Most comparable contracts:

Player (signing team)
1. Esa Lindell (DAL)
2. Joshua Morrissey (WPG)
3. Matt Dumba (MIN)
4. Seth Jones (CBJ)

https://www.capfriendly.com/comparables/ivan-provorov-9645 https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1172306891931701251/photo/1
I think he'll bounce back and that will end up being a team-friendly contract. I'm guessing they paid a bit more than they would have liked to get that much term.

Marner 6 years, 10.89 M per

Toronto has 3 of the top AAV players in the league. All the RFAs who haven't signed yet should be happy. 
Toronto probably happy to have this done and to have him signed for 6 years instead of doing this all over again in 3 years, but that's a ton of money for a player like him. Marner, Matthews, and Nylander definitely not going the Tampa route and taking a bunch of team-friendly deals. Going to be interesting to watch how Dubas manages the cap over the next few years. Seems like they are in good hands, but it's not going to be an easy task.

If they try to resign Barrie - that has to be near 8M minimum (And trust me Newport Sports is ruthless) - so they will have 13 player signed with 7M left for the rest of the roster of at least 10 players - not sure you can find 10 players at an average of 700K since league min will be $750K

Barrie - Rielly and then a bunch of league minimum guys on D. Going to need to light it up like the 80's Oil.
Barrie is probably hoping for a Kawhi Leonard situation. Will put up a ton of points and then likely be able to pick his spot, but seems unlikely they can keep him around long-term.

Muzzin could be extended though probably. Also have some good young guys in Dermott, Sandin, and Liljegren who should be ready for bigger roles soon.

ffldrew said:

Jared Spurgeon just got 7/53 million from the Wild, that probably becomes the floor for Barrie. I might like Spurgeon better as a player but Barrie could put up video game numbers this year on the Leafs #1 PP unit. 

Aaron Rudnicki said:
Barrie is probably hoping for a Kawhi Leonard situation. Will put up a ton of points and then likely be able to pick his spot, but seems unlikely they can keep him around long-term.

Muzzin could be extended though probably. Also have some good young guys in Dermott, Sandin, and Liljegren who should be ready for bigger roles soon.
The cap will jump up significantly in two years with a new TV deal and additional revenue from Seattle, this is why I think the lockout talk is unnecessary. 

In the meantime Toronto is counting on finding more Johansson/Kapanen types that they can get a couple years at minimum salary and then sign to favourable extensions. 

They have the most $$ in the league invested in their AHL team (Keefe is rumoured to be making more than at least one NHL head coach) and should continue to get Spezza types to play for the minimum in their hometown.

I don't know if it will work but they're doing everything they can to fill the bottom of the roster with the best low/min salary players they can. 

MLSE has the cash to do this max front-loading of all these Leafs contracts. Cash is an advantage for them, and they are looking to leverage it.

That said, this contract obviously looks way better for Marner than the Leafs. AAV is hard to swallow, it's an overpayment for sure.

Argument Leafs FO has is that paying to retain multiple star talents is better than peanut-butter spreading to lesser effective players across a squad overall, which got this team literally nothing over the last decade. 

Leafs to have 6 good-to-great guys (Marner, Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Rielly, Anderson) under contract until 2021-25. Some hardware needs to be won in this window. 

MLSE has the cash to do this max front-loading of all these Leafs contracts. Cash is an advantage for them, and they are looking to leverage it.

That said, this contract obviously looks way better for Marner than the Leafs. AAV is hard to swallow, it's an overpayment for sure.

Argument Leafs FO has is that paying to retain multiple star talents is better than peanut-butter spreading to lesser effective players across a squad overall, which got this team literally nothing over the last decade. 

Leafs to have 6 good-to-great guys (Marner, Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Rielly, Anderson) under contract until 2021-25. Some hardware needs to be won in this window. 
If Anderson goes down they'll have a 700K min guy in the net with a D made up of 5 guys making the league minimum - Rielly is going to be ridden hard next year and put away wet and I'm not sure that is sustainable over 82 games + playoffs. The window is this year.

As NV says above the Spurgeon deal is now the floor and it's a double edge sword if they want to try and keep Barrie. The only way he gets 7.5M is if he sucks.

Also all this talk of a new TV contract is a dream - NBC, ESPN and Fox are getting squeezed by the carriers and are cutting costs. They have to go to streaming and I'm not sure that is a route to record TV revenue just yet especially for the NHL.

This LTIR manipulation will be ended in the next CBA for sure.

McAvoy gets a three-year bridge from the Bruins at $4.9M AAV.

Pretty good compromise that works for both team and player. McAvoy had 1D potential, but has had some health issues so there's still a "prove it" factor here. His deal is in line with what Werenski got, but he wasn't eligible for full RFA because of his service time. And his backloaded deal gives him a solid qualifying offer for when UFA hits and he potentially could cash in.

This deal should free enough money for Carlo (their other remaining RFA) with minimal cap maneuvering.

If Anderson goes down they'll have a 700K min guy in the net with a D made up of 5 guys making the league minimum - Rielly is going to be ridden hard next year and put away wet and I'm not sure that is sustainable over 82 games + playoffs. The window is this year.

As NV says above the Spurgeon deal is now the floor and it's a double edge sword if they want to try and keep Barrie. The only way he gets 7.5M is if he sucks.

Also all this talk of a new TV contract is a dream - NBC, ESPN and Fox are getting squeezed by the carriers and are cutting costs. They have to go to streaming and I'm not sure that is a route to record TV revenue just yet especially for the NHL.

This LTIR manipulation will be ended in the next CBA for sure.
This seems off. No way they are going to have 5 dmen making league minimum. Also live sports are about the only types of programming that generate ad revenue and can’t be streamed these days. NHL will absolutely make some decent new revenue with their next tv deal and adding the Seattle team is a clear plus as well. Cap is going up. 

@frank_seravalli: That leaves 10 RFAs unsigned: Brayden Point (TBL), Mikko Rantanen (COL), Kyle Connor (WPG), Patrik Laine (WPG), Matthew Tkachuk (CGY), Brock Boeser (VAN), Brandon Carlo (BOS), Julius Honka (DAL), Tony DeAngelo (NYR), Saku Maenalanen (CAR).

McAvoy gets a three-year bridge from the Bruins at $4.9M AAV.

Pretty good compromise that works for both team and player. McAvoy had 1D potential, but has had some health issues so there's still a "prove it" factor here. His deal is in line with what Werenski got, but he wasn't eligible for full RFA because of his service time. And his backloaded deal gives him a solid qualifying offer for when UFA hits and he potentially could cash in.

This deal should free enough money for Carlo (their other remaining RFA) with minimal cap maneuvering.
A $2.8M bridge deal for Carlo locks up the whole roster with a little more than $1M to spare on the cap.

Now come the battles for lineup spots. The defense, in particular, is going to be a logjam if (when?) everyone is healthy.

Defense: Chara, McAvoy, Krug, Carlo, Grzelcyk, Clifton ... Moore (inj.), K. Miller (inj.), Kampfer, Vaakanainen

Forwards: Marchand/Bergeron/Pasta ... DeBrusk/Krejci/??? ... Heinen/Coyle(!)/??? ... Nordstrom/Kuraly/Wagner

Mix and match in the likes of Ritchie, Kuhlman, Bjork, Backes, P. Lindholm, Frederic, Studnicka, Steen. Some still believe Coyle (!) could move to 2 RW, which would shuffle things further.

Going to be very interesting.

Nothing on Byfuglien's leave of absence in this thread?  Wow.

I had my FH draft over the weekend when this news came out and we all speculated substance abuse.  While that still may be, it appears he's contemplating retirement.

Capella said:
Point 3/6.75
@charlieo_conn: I know there's more going on here than just this factor -- team contract dynamics, tax situation, front office driving hard bargain -- but it always amuses me TBL gets players to take discounts partially to keep a Stanley Cup roster together without actually having won a Cup.

@charlieo_conn: I know there's more going on here than just this factor -- team contract dynamics, tax situation, front office driving hard bargain -- but it always amuses me TBL gets players to take discounts partially to keep a Stanley Cup roster together without actually having won a Cup.
I mean that’s pretty dumb logic. They’re right there every year. 

Justin Faulk to the Blues for Joel Edmundson, Dominik Bokk (2018 1st rounder) and picks each way.

And Faulk now signs a seven-year, $45.5 million extension in STL. Seems pretty even with Marc-Edouard Vlasic, who is his closest active Hockey Reference comparable.

Makes some sense with Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester both UFA after the season. Hope it doesn't keep them from being able to bring Petro back, though.  Against the cap and with a desire to get Kostin/Kyrou ice time this year, who else goes? Steen would make a ton of sense, but I'd think that goes against Armstrong's stated desire to keep the team's core together.

Justin Faulk to the Blues for Joel Edmundson, Dominik Bokk (2018 1st rounder) and picks each way.

And Faulk now signs a seven-year, $45.5 million extension in STL. Seems pretty even with Marc-Edouard Vlasic, who is his closest active Hockey Reference comparable.
:sadbanana:

Makes some sense with Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester both UFA after the season. Hope it doesn't keep them from being able to bring Petro back, though.  Against the cap and with a desire to get Kostin/Kyrou ice time this year, who else goes? Steen would make a ton of sense, but I'd think that goes against Armstrong's stated desire to keep the team's core together.
Steen isn’t part of the core anymore, but he does have a full NTC so he probably isn’t going anywhere. 

I worry what this means for Petro. I think they can and will re-sign him but that’s a lot of money tied into your RD which has me questioning this. 

If Edmundson bounces back then Carolina just got a nice player, but I don’t know if that will happen. Bokk has some high end skill but is a ways off and Armstrong has been pretty good about giving up on his 1st round picks early - Tage Thompson and David Rundblad come to mind. 

For now this seems like a great improvement and maybe the Blues will cut down on Petro/Parayko minutes this season so they can beast in the playoffs again. 

Steen isn’t part of the core anymore, but he does have a full NTC so he probably isn’t going anywhere. 

I worry what this means for Petro. I think they can and will re-sign him but that’s a lot of money tied into your RD which has me questioning this. 

If Edmundson bounces back then Carolina just got a nice player, but I don’t know if that will happen. Bokk has some high end skill but is a ways off and Armstrong has been pretty good about giving up on his 1st round picks early - Tage Thompson and David Rundblad come to mind. 

For now this seems like a great improvement and maybe the Blues will cut down on Petro/Parayko minutes this season so they can beast in the playoffs again. 
Short term, easy win for the Blues.  Long term probably too.  Great room guy too.  Hate to see him go....wish nothing but good things for him with the Blues.  Did the Canes turn into the Wild with this one? Lol.

By the way, the TD Garden renovations blow.

My season ticket group's seats used to be on an aisle (I could time the TV commercial breaks to make the bathroom and be back before they dropped the puck again). Now we're moved a half-section over into the corner more and, while we have a handicap area in front of us (we're elevated and separated by plexiglass), we are now all the way on an inside of a row with no aisle next to us (there is a ramp right next to us, but we can't get to it).

:angry:

As a Blues fan, I love this trade.  Our PP was dreadful for most of the Cup run, and the addition of Faulk should vastly improve it this season. 
Faulk is not a PP QB, he has a good shot but this is why Canes got Jake.  Not saying this couldn't change in STL but it was an issue in Carolina.  Faulk has much talent.

Both Sidney Crosby and Brian Rust left the Pens preseason game last night after blocking shots. Crosby was hit in the foot , Rust in the hand.  Post game, Sullivan said they'd know more this morning. 

Josh Yohe of The Athletic says 75 to 80 pct chance Jack Johnson traded in next 48 hours.

I hope somebody extorts a decent pick or picks for taking on that contract (4×3.25 left).

Users who are viewing this thread