What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (1 Viewer)

Even KD probably realizes now that Kyrie will flake out, get injured, whatever.  Dude isn't reliable.
I mean Kyrie’s history was pretty well known when KD decided to join him — clearly he thought it was a worthwhile risk so he could play with a friend. There’s no evidence that their relationship has soured at all, so I think KD would absolutely be upset if Kyrie was traded.

That said, you can't let Trae be a scorer AND a playmaker.  You have to take away one or the other.  And you can't play that god-awful drop defense against Trae.  Finally, I'm sick and tired of Bud changing his lineup to match what other team is trying to do.  Bucks were killing them inside....and then Bud decides to go small because Atlanta went small.  

Finally, I was at the game, so I couldn't see the replays, but is there a reason why Bud didn't challenge at least one of those terrible foul calls?

I lied, one more thing.  If that cocky little ##### Trae would've shoulder shimmied before taking a shot against the 80s Pistons, Bill Laimbeer would've put him flat on his ###.  Bucks need to put that guy on the ground with some hard but clean fouls when he comes into the paint to shoot those floaters.  Make him think twice about doing it again.

This is something that I highly, highly doubt. Kyrie is the reason KD came to Brooklyn, so I think the Nets can kiss him (and then Harden) goodbye next year if they trade Irving. Are they really going to jeopardize their championship core because he went to a maskless party and missed 7 games in January? I’m very skeptical.
I'd say they want to get a reasonably injury-free season from the Big 3 before they'd get to this point.

I'll bet Kyrie is a drain though.

That said, you can't let Trae be a scorer AND a playmaker.  You have to take away one or the other.  And you can't play that god-awful drop defense against Trae.  Finally, I'm sick and tired of Bud changing his lineup to match what other team is trying to do.  Bucks were killing them inside....and then Bud decides to go small because Atlanta went small. 

Finally, I was at the game, so I couldn't see the replays, but is there a reason why Bud didn't challenge at least one of those terrible foul calls?

I lied, one more thing.  If that cocky little ##### Trae would've shoulder shimmied before taking a shot against the 80s Pistons, Bill Laimbeer would've put him flat on his ###.  Bucks need to put that guy on the ground with some hard but clean fouls when he comes into the paint to shoot those floaters.  Make him think twice about doing it again.
Bud should have challenged something.

Dumb not to use it.

This is something that I highly, highly doubt. Kyrie is the reason KD came to Brooklyn, so I think the Nets can kiss him (and then Harden) goodbye next year if they trade Irving. Are they really going to jeopardize their championship core because he went to a maskless party and missed 7 games in January? I’m very skeptical.
Let’s assume for sake of argument that they want to trade him- who is giving anything for him?  If he can’t gel with a super team that he hand picked and be a consistent contributor there, why would anyone think he’d suddenly get it together somewhere else?  He’s not going anywhere regardless. 

Kyrie is absolutely not someone I'd want as "the guy". He's been a career loser in that role. But he's been a championship winner as Robin. You can argue whether he's Robin on Nets but it's a star driven league. Unless it's to get Lillard (and I dont know how feasible that is), I don't see anything happening.

Let’s assume for sake of argument that they want to trade him- who is giving anything for him?  If he can’t gel with a super team that he hand picked and be a consistent contributor there, why would anyone think he’d suddenly get it together somewhere else?  He’s not going anywhere regardless. 
Kuzma, KCP and 2 first rounders for Irving

who says no

dood's a cancer, the hoops equivalent of the 60s musician who came back from an acid trip thinking he could bring furniture to life with his touch and that his guitar was God's penis cuz the 40 East German fans who spent the last weekend painting their bodies to offer themselves up to him told him so. impossible to work with, even for his best buds and-or bandmates and even if his solos still tear the roof off reality. Move on, you crazy Uncle Diamond....

Congrats to the Piston fans on the #1 pick.  Question though - is Cade the definite pick and do people see him as a lock to be a star (not even superstar)?  I watched the kid play like twice so I have very little to go on - in one game he was pretty studly but the other game he was average.  My bigger point was in neither game did I feel like I was watching the next NBA stud and curious what Detroit (and other) fans think.
dont want to harsh anyone's buzz, but there's a chance of this being so. i dont watch enough college hoops to really say, but i'm always suspicious when a "generational talent" can't bring his college team even close to perfection. Cunningham did better at that than...ahem...Ben Simmons @ LSU or Markelle Fultz @ WA, but the two games i watched him@ OkSt  it wasnt immediately apparent who Da Man was on the floor and that always gives me pause. then again, there's not a hint of the "headcase" leaks with Cade like there was on the two i mentioned

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what Atlanta needs to do to get respect.  Certainly on the road against the Bucks they should be slight dogs, but still 7.5 points?  There was not one moment in last night's game where it looked like Milwaukee was going to cover +8.  Sure it is possible Milwaukee will put on their big boy pants and blow Atlanta out in a must win game at home, but Atlanta is the best team remaining and should be the favorite to win it all.  Atlanta should only be or +1 or +2 dog on the road.  
It seems a little high to me as well, which probably means Milwaukee is the play. Once the Bucks started using sensible coverage on the pick and roll the quality of looks Atlanta got went way down. There are always ebbs and flows to these series, I always find them tough to bet game to game. I think the Hawks got blown out in Philly game 2, would not surprise me at all to see a repeat of that tomorrow. 

He would've lost them.  Giannis grazed Trae in the face,  Middleton, I believe it was, did slightly bump Trae on that floater.  Both a bit ticky tack but fouls you'd expect to be called with star players involved.  

They're in the conference finals, and they may be the healthiest team remaining. :shrug:
I think that's technically the Suns when Paul returns (they are missing DiVicinzo), but your point is a good one.  They're also shot like crap and you have to imagine that turns at some point as they are getting good looks.  They're are good reasons to think they have the highest upside of the remaining teams.  

I think that's technically the Suns when Paul returns (they are missing DiVicinzo), but your point is a good one.  They're also shot like crap and you have to imagine that turns at some point as they are getting good looks.  They're are good reasons to think they have the highest upside of the remaining teams.  
The Bucks' coaching is abysmal though. That's their biggest problem.

None of the teams left are going to be in the "greatest teams of all time" discussions - it's been a weird playoffs due to all the injuries to top tier players.

None of the teams left are going to be in the "greatest teams of all time" discussions - it's been a weird playoffs due to all the injuries to top tier players.
The team that wins the title this year will probably be one of the worst teams to win a title in the last 40 years, up there with the 04 Pistons, 19 Raptors, and whatever year the Mavs won. 

At the end of the day though who cares you are the champs. 

Don’t understand any Bucks love.  They haven’t looked great for most of the postseason. 
They are poorly coached but have a LOT of talent.  Giannis, Lopez, Middleton, Holiday & Tucker is a beast of a starting 5 defensively and rebounding with above average offense.  They miss the versatility of DiVincenzo, but their bench is not that bad in spot duty either.

If Bud had a clue how to use them, they'd have run through this thing like a freight train.  They shouldn't have even been in a series with Brooklyn after Harden & Kyrie were out and should have won the game last night.

One thing I've always liked about Giannis is his intensity and desire to be great.  He has improved throughout his young career and drives the team throughout the game.  The biggest problem with him is the inability to lead the team with the ball in his hands, particularly at the end of the game.  His need to get to the rim and poor FT shooting means the team has to keep it away from him in tight games in the 4th qtr.

Holiday or Middleton need to step into that role as the closer, but neither guy has taken the reins.  Bud needs to designate that guy, get in his ear about what sets they need to be in to finish the game and have them execute.  I just don't think Budenholzer knows how to do that (or isn't aware that he needs to).

They are easily the most frustrating team to watch.  Even when they were up by 7-10 pts early in the game, it seemed they were content to just jog up and down the court, sink to the paint on defense and shoot 3's on offense.  No urgency was applied to bury the Hawks, no direction to get Lopez and Giannis the ball on the block or get Holiday and Middleton moving downhill.  Tucker needs to move and cut more to take advantage of Trae's lackluster defense and for the love of God if Giannis shoots a fadeaway with a little guy on him one more time, I'm going to scream.

They are poorly coached but have a LOT of talent.  Giannis, Lopez, Middleton, Holiday & Tucker is a beast of a starting 5 defensively and rebounding with above average offense.  They miss the versatility of DiVincenzo, but their bench is not that bad in spot duty either.

If Bud had a clue how to use them, they'd have run through this thing like a freight train.  They shouldn't have even been in a series with Brooklyn after Harden & Kyrie were out and should have won the game last night.

One thing I've always liked about Giannis is his intensity and desire to be great.  He has improved throughout his young career and drives the team throughout the game.  The biggest problem with him is the inability to lead the team with the ball in his hands, particularly at the end of the game.  His need to get to the rim and poor FT shooting means the team has to keep it away from him in tight games in the 4th qtr.

Holiday or Middleton need to step into that role as the closer, but neither guy has taken the reins.  Bud needs to designate that guy, get in his ear about what sets they need to be in to finish the game and have them execute.  I just don't think Budenholzer knows how to do that (or isn't aware that he needs to).

They are easily the most frustrating team to watch.  Even when they were up by 7-10 pts early in the game, it seemed they were content to just jog up and down the court, sink to the paint on defense and shoot 3's on offense.  No urgency was applied to bury the Hawks, no direction to get Lopez and Giannis the ball on the block or get Holiday and Middleton moving downhill.  Tucker needs to move and cut more to take advantage of Trae's lackluster defense and for the love of God if Giannis shoots a fadeaway with a little guy on him one more time, I'm going to scream.
Man, great post.  On the underlined, it's funny while watching the game with my son there was a painful play in the 4th where Giannis posted up Trae and the announcers joked that "Trae shut him down."  My son looked at me and said "why is Giannis fading away against Trae instead of just dunking it over him?"   Good question buddy, good question.

Too many bad 3-pt shots taken early in the shot clock (mostly by Middleton), on a night when 3's weren't going in.  Why take covered 3's with 16 seconds left on the shot clock?  I don't get it.  Veterans like Middleton and Holiday should be smarter than that.   It reminds me of watching Matt Stafford make bad throws in the first half of a Lions game.   Who cares if he throws three TDs in the 4th quarter, he already lost the game in the first half.

:goodposting:  x 1,000

I literally wanted to run down onto the court a couple of times yesterday and strangle somebody.

:goodposting:  x 1,000

I literally wanted to run down onto the court a couple of times yesterday and strangle somebody.
I watched most of the game on my phone, but I could tell there was just little to no intensity during the majority of play.  Bucks may be scared of a track meet with Trae, but I like their core players running up and down the court a lot better than walking it up and grinding out possessions in the half court.  Particularly if that offense is 1-2 passes and going 1 on 1.  If they focused on moving it side to side a couple of times with high and low post flashes to the paint, they could get a LOT of easy buckets in the paint.

Honestly, their first 5-10 possessions seemed like the focus was on ball movement, but they just didn't keep it up throughout the game.

It reminds me of watching Matt Stafford make bad throws in the first half of a Lions game.   Who cares if he throws three TDs in the 4th quarter, he already lost the game in the first half.
this is precisely the thought i had last night.

Stafford throws for 5000 yards, 50tds and the Lions win 5 games.. great stats.. nobody cares.

I watched most of the game on my phone, but I could tell there was just little to no intensity during the majority of play.  Bucks may be scared of a track meet with Trae, but I like their core players running up and down the court a lot better than walking it up and grinding out possessions in the half court.  Particularly if that offense is 1-2 passes and going 1 on 1.  If they focused on moving it side to side a couple of times with high and low post flashes to the paint, they could get a LOT of easy buckets in the paint.

Honestly, their first 5-10 possessions seemed like the focus was on ball movement, but they just didn't keep it up throughout the game.
If you're not going to use Brook in the paint on offense, then there's absolutely zero reason to play him at all.  He's a total defensive liability against this Atlanta team.  You might as well play Giannis at the 5 like they did in the fourth quarter, and it would have won them the game if not for their complete and utter inability to box out and secure a defensive rebound in the last two minutes.

Just got a notification that Paul is available for game 3

eta: Suns tweeted it an hour ago I guess but didn’t see it here

Just got a notification that Paul is available for game 3
I saw that reported earlier as well.  Up 2-0 already, he just needs to tune up for the Finals and take some of the load off of Booker/Ayton.

Cam Payne has been a revelation.

Suns are the easy favorites to win it all right now and I'm super excited for CP3.  Been a fan of his game for a while.

Yeah, more just happy to be here talk.  Hawks stole game 1 and I don't think anybody is really writing them off but it took Trae scoring essentially 50 to do it.  Maybe Bogdanovic gets a little healthier and scores some, maybe Reddish will finally get back but I struggle to see 1. where our scoring is going to come from unless Trae averages 40 for the series and 2. How we stop the Bucks offense.  Granted Holiday shot really well so maybe he cools off but we ain't stopping Giannis and you figure even a handful more makes on those 3s by Middleton or others and it's a different game.  I really wish we were healthy, but I'm sure Nets fans would say cry me a river.

The one good thing is there's some decent pressure on MIL in the next game and nobody thinks Bud is up for game planning.  Maybe the Hawks can be hot early and hope the pressure mounts on them.

Suns going to win it all.

Who would have thought that. 

More talent and experience against Hawks and vs Bucks...I'll go with the team whose best players can shoot freethrows.

Stephen A was on first take today. This came from a person close to the situation in Philly on Ben Simmons

"Doesn't work, doesn't listen and constantly babied." 

Those aren't ringing endorsements and stuff has been said before about him. I had a coworker who was neighbors with Brett Brown when he was the Sixers coach and actually neighbors with NBC10 Philly Sports Report John Clark. She told me this was said constantly by both guys. one of the Sixers falling outs with Brett Brown is he didn't agree with how certain players got treated by the Org as a whole.

As you remember there was a scathing report in The Caulder involving Joel Embiid and Shirley Temples and the Sixers awhile back and how Brown and Harris and Hinkine didn't see eye to eye. One of the biggest issues Brown had at the time is how the 76ers babied Joel Embiid. Brown comes from the Gregg Popovich coaching tree and they don't tolerate that #### in SAS as you saw with the whole Leonard situation. Hinkie ended up leaving but the Sixers babying their stars continued. Brown wasn't the greatest coach but there was numerious media people saying as much as Brown's colleges hated the org they respected Brown and felt bad he was put in the position he was with Philly. 

Either way this is not endearing for Simmons or the Sixers right now. Honestly given what I've heard over the years not surprised. 
Talked to the one of the Philly reporters I know today. He said he's heard similar from his colleagues who follow the Sixers. They had heard some stuff about the babying of players but didn't know how true it was. He said me knowing that and almost said exactly as his colleges heard it confirms really well what many have been hearing the last few yrs. 

Woj: Teams have been using their time this week in Chicago to engage the Sixers on packages involving Ben Simmons. Ben's Agents Clutch specifically Rick Paul has had discussions about Ben's future with the Sixers and talking if a Trade and parting ways would be the best Option. WOJ Specifically states NO TRADE REQUEST HAS BEEN MADE AS OF YET and the Sixers are still very committed to Ben Simmons as of now for the summer. According to sources WOJ states they had discussions with Simmons on what will be worked on including FREE THROWS and Doc and Ben have had discussions already. 

Take: Nothing earth shattering here. Ben was awful in the playoffs. Teams are doing do dilligents but we are still a month away from the draft and almost 2 from Free Agency starting. A lot can happen in that time span. Ben's entourage wants to know what the plan is for the Sixers with their client is moving forward and if those plans best fill their clients best interest. Coach talked to player which is pretty standard as well. 

I mean the Sixers choked away 2 games to the Hawks so it's not like Atlanta has looked excellent these playoffs either.  Last night they looked damn good.  
To be fair literally every team who made the post season this year hasn't looked good in the playoffs. It's been pretty sloppy basketball, with tons of injuries, players flopping constantly and constant stoppages in play ruin game flow. The Injuries and sloppy play can be credited to not have a full offseason before starting this. I don't think anyone would've minded more rest and a shorter season schedule this year. 

Talked to the one of the Philly reporters I know today. He said he's heard similar from his colleagues who follow the Sixers. They had heard some stuff about the babying of players but didn't know how true it was. He said me knowing that and almost said exactly as his colleges heard it confirms really well what many have been hearing the last few yrs. 
I don't know if this is true or not, but it would line up with Butler leaving. Butler wants a team around him thay works just as hard as he does and I have read that he is one of the hardest workers in the NBA. 

It is why he demanded to be traded from the T-Wolves and why it was rumored that he never really considered resigning with the 76ers, but none of this can be confirmed. 

The team that wins the title this year will probably be one of the worst teams to win a title in the last 40 years, up there with the 04 Pistons, 19 Raptors, and whatever year the Mavs won. 

At the end of the day though who cares you are the champs. 
That 2011 Mavs team had like 4 hall of famers in or right at the end of their primes. And a hall of fame coach. It was absolutely not one of the worst teams to win a title in the last 40 years. 

I don't know if this is true or not, but it would line up with Butler leaving. Butler wants a team around him thay works just as hard as he does and I have read that he is one of the hardest workers in the NBA. 

It is why he demanded to be traded from the T-Wolves and why it was rumored that he never really considered resigning with the 76ers, but none of this can be confirmed. 
I've heard about the 76ers babying certain players for yrs. Sixers fan try and discredit it but the Culder had a scathing report revolving the 76ers and Joel Embiid and Brett Brown. This is where Embiid drinking Shirley Temples and not taking his rehab seriously started. It was the year Embiid was drafted maybe during Summer League that year or the year after? The report said Brown was furious with Hinkie and the Orgs overall approach with Joel and didn't like how he was babied by the team. 

Now line all of that up with what you wrote and what I put out last night and I think where there's smoke there's fire here. Overall it doesn't look good on the Sixers period. 

If I'm not mistaken Butler's problems were with Ben Simmons and not Joel Embiid as Joel has taken the approach to getting better and eating healthier. Butler has complimented Joel on several occasions even after he left but you don't hear him say much about Ben. 

Users who are viewing this thread