What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Anarchy League 2 Thread (1 Viewer)

I typically do it at conclusion of the draft and outset of the season. The timing this year implies there will be less change, since the season starts on Thursday. I will do it if I have time.
Preseason projections are like power rankings. They don’t mean anything. Guys that cover NE are almost unanimous that the Pats will have Folk as their kicker, it’s just how they facilitate it. Apparently there are different rules this year, and Folk literally could be a game day call up each week to get them more flexibility with their game day roster. I would be surprised if Folk scored 0 points this year. The group of NE kickers last year combined to score 139 points in the Anarchy format. So I guess his scoring projection could be anywhere from 0 to 139 points. 

Preseason projections are like power rankings. They don’t mean anything. Guys that cover NE are almost unanimous that the Pats will have Folk as their kicker, it’s just how they facilitate it. Apparently there are different rules this year, and Folk literally could be a game day call up each week to get them more flexibility with their game day roster. I would be surprised if Folk scored 0 points this year. The group of NE kickers last year combined to score 139 points in the Anarchy format. So I guess his scoring projection could be anywhere from 0 to 139 points. 
I think you have almost convinced yoursel on this one.

Keep hope alive!!

Oh and David Dodds does a fine job of projecting JWB I am surprised that Tee Higgins is projected for more than 50 points while Van Jefferson is not.
He projects Higgins for 80.5, so he does not see them as being particularly close.

I'm not sure why you are surprised by it. Jefferson is the #4 WR for the Rams, behind Kupp, Woods, and Reynolds. And he is likely also behind both Higbee and Everett, and it is expected that the Rams will run more 12 personnel this season because they have both of them. So how many targets can reasonably be projected for Jefferson, barring injury(ies) ahead of him?

Perhaps your point isn't that Jefferson is underprojected so much as Higgins is overprojected. I could see that.

I'm not arguing this point, so I think you are arguing with no one. I posted a data point. I pointed out that there will be less change between that and the start of the season than in years past. I didn't say anything specifically about Folk.

Yes, of course, preseason projections are not very meaningful. Hence all of the caveats in my post with them. If you think they are useless, ignore the post.

He projects Higgins for 80.5, so he does not see them as being particularly close.

I'm not sure why you are surprised by it. Jefferson is the #4 WR for the Rams, behind Kupp, Woods, and Reynolds. And he is likely also behind both Higbee and Everett, and it is expected that the Rams will run more 12 personnel this season because they have both of them. So how many targets can reasonably be projected for Jefferson, barring injury(ies) ahead of him?

Perhaps your point isn't that Jefferson is underprojected so much as Higgins is overprojected. I could see that.
Yeah Higgins in the Bengals 5th WR on a worse offense, although Burrow could change that I suppose.

I was mostly thinking Higgins numbers are too optimistic.

Just Win Baby said:
This was already discussed earlier in the thread. Losing 100 points for a PK is completely different from losing 300+ points for a QB if we had no TMQB.

Losing a PK does not kill a season. I drafted Gostkowski in the 10th round last year and lost him after 4 games and 34 points. I won the league. Had I drafted Lamar Jackson instead of the BAL TMQB, and he got hurt, I most assuredly would not have won the league; I'm sure I would have been in the bottom half somewhere.

It's apples and oranges.
The problem with PKs is that they're stupid. Whether Adrian Peterson will keep his job in Washington or not is something that is available for analysis. Whether Tyrod Taylor or Justin Herbert will play QB for the Chargers is available for analysis. But with maybe half of the kickers in the NFL, three bad days in camp will put them at risk for their jobs. And there will be no reporting about it until the cut, as with Chase McLaughlin for example. It's a silly thing to waste time on.

The problem with PKs is that they're stupid. Whether Adrian Peterson will keep his job in Washington or not is something that is available for analysis. Whether Tyrod Taylor or Justin Herbert will play QB for the Chargers is available for analysis. But with maybe half of the kickers in the NFL, three bad days in camp will put them at risk for their jobs. And there will be no reporting about it until the cut, as with Chase McLaughlin for example. It's a silly thing to waste time on.
How many teams actually switched kickers? Five? The Bears ended up having an injury to their kicker. It happens. That’s far from half the league switching kickers. And all it took was minimal research to find out that there were kicking battles going on in camp. Sure, several teams did have kicker battles, but at least half the league had perfectly safe kickers to pick from. Again, that’s what makes steady and safe kickers worth picks 3-4 rounds earlier. 

In May, I had Chase McLaughlin ranked as one of the 3 kickers who was most at risk of losing his job (out of the 32 apparent starting kickers). It looks like all the May frontrunners who aren't starting wk1 were among the 11 who were most at risk of losing their job (although I might have missed someone; I just glanced through the list).

How many teams actually switched kickers? Five? The Bears ended up having an injury to their kicker. It happens. That’s far from half the league switching kickers. And all it took was minimal research to find out that there were kicking battles going on in camp. Sure, several teams did have kicker battles, but at least half the league had perfectly safe kickers to pick from. Again, that’s what makes steady and safe kickers worth picks 3-4 rounds earlier. 
Still stupid.

this is where the problem lies....and where you miss the point....once you realize its not silly to waste time on....then it becomes value....and has a price....

as a side note to the PK thing.......IMO they are such a HUGE difference maker in real football....week to week....wins vs loses.....making the playoffs.....not making the playoffs.....double doinking....etc....they should probably have more value in fantasy football if we could find a way......not less.....I know FF is all about points....but we try to make it as close to the real thing as we can....don't we...?...with VBD and what not....you bet.....and a PK may only kick one FG in a game....but it might be the biggest 3 points of that teams season let alone that week....your 3rd WR (name any we draft....and start) has a "bad game or games"....nobody cares....but.....your PK has a "bad game"......and it could be  :bye: to him and your playoff chances....PK's are HUGE in real football and the good ones have value.....they should in fantasy too....

Well, I was aware that McLaughlin might not make it and purposely avoided the Colts PK situation as a result. There was indeed reporting about that camp battle; I read multiple reports about it. So I don't think that is a particularly good example to support your case.  :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
(ADP from all Anarchy Leagues, L2 Draft info, 2019 year-end ranking)

Quarterbacks:
Saints TMQB (All ADP QB5 - 32 | L2 QB6 - 36 | 2019: QB3)
Falcons TMQB (All ADP QB10 - 74 | L2 QB10 - 100 | 2019: QB11)

Overall, most of my picks in this league had me taking guys later in this league than the other leagues. While that might not matter if the players all underperform, it should help get more total production (in theory) if things do work out. I still see Brees as a Top 5 QB in this format (with 2 other decent QB options behind him) and I see the Saints getting at least 2 playoff games. Brees could start showing his age, but I don't see him falling way, way off. I often end up with Ryan in these leagues, not because I love Ryan, but apparently the rest of you guys don't love him either. He went 52 picks earlier in L1 . . . so yeah, count me in at such discounted price.

Running Backs:
Aaron Jones GBP (All ADP RB9 - 21 | L2 RB11 - 29 | 2019: RB3)
Mark Ingram BAL (All ADP RB23 - 63 | L2 RB24 - 68 | 2019: RB7)
Jordan Howard MIA (All ADP RB35 - 119 | L2 RB38 - 132 | 2019: RB39)
Sony Michel NEP (All ADP RB40 - 139 | L2 RB45 - 157 | 2019: RB24)

I am not a huge fan of taking RBs early, and I REALLY am not a fan of taking all of them in the top half of the draft. However, it seems like most owners were taking WR and TE and let some RBs fall. I don't love Jones and think he will struggle to get close to the numbers he put up last year . . . and the Packers rewarded that performance by drafting a RB. Ingram had another solid season and finish as RB7 . . . and the Ravens rewarded that performance by drafting a RB. BAL had almost 600 rushing attempts last year (and I think they start to take carries away from Lamar), so there should still be enough touches to keep Ingram in the Top 20 RB. Howard was actually the RB13 last year before he had to shut it down in PHI. He's still only 25 and has been productive when healthy. Not sure why the fantasy community has mostly shunned him. Michel isn't very good, yet NE still has given him a decent workload. He's said to have some bounce back this year and Harris is out at least the first 3 weeks. I don't see BB just plain sitting him unless he starts coughing up the football. Overall, I think this is a decent stable of backs . . . but in this league I am not sure that is the position you want to have a strong unit in.

Wide Receivers:
Robert Woods LAR (All ADP WR18 - 50 | L2 WR21 - 61 | 2019: WR18)
Marvin Jones DET (All ADP WR35 - 95 | L2 WR35 - 93 | 2019: WR32)
Breshad Perriman NYJ (All ADP WR57 - 160 | L2 WR61 - 164 | 2019: WR54)
Parris Campbell IND (All ADP WR67 - 195 | L2 WR73 - 221 | 2019: WR1125)
Steven Sims WAS (All ADP WR74 - 228 | L2 WR75 - 228 | 2019: WR68)

Since I invested in other positions, that left me weaker at WR. The good news is I picked 5 receivers that are NFL starters (whether that means anything, who knows). Woods was the WR6 in Weeks 10-17. Jones was the WR14 through 12 games before he got hurt (and a decent chunk of that without Stafford). Somehow, Perriman was the WR3 the last month of the regular season (but moves on to the Jets . . . and who knows what their receiving situation will look like). Campbell had an injury filled rookie season, which led to him being mostly ignored this year (he went roughly 50 picks later this year compared to last year). Sims was the WR15 the last month of the season and did not see any significant playing time until then . . . and that was enough to rank him WR68 (and I took him as WR74). He will begin the year as the WAS WR2, so not sure why no one really wanted him in the Anarchy Leagues. So even though I didn't invest heavily at WR, I think I can get some added production value compared to where these guys were selected.

Tight Ends:
Travis Kelce KCC (All ADP TE1 - 3 | L2 TE2 - 4 | 2019: TE1)
Greg Olsen SEA (All ADP TE25 127 | L2 TE24 - 125 | 2019: TE13)
Devin Asiasi NEP (All ADP TE37 265 | L2 TE35 - 260 | 2019: NA)

Not sure how I ended up with Kelce, but I am not complaining. He outscored Kittle by 136 point last year and 92 points the season before. I would interested to hear from Nittany why he took Kittle before Kelce. Olsen is old, but he ranked TE13 last year on a non-playoff team and is going to what should be a playoff team with a much stronger offense and QB situation. Dissly was the TE7 the first month of the season but is trying to come back from a torn Achilles. He may not be back to full strength this season. Asiasi was a dart throw, but I don't see how is isn't the primary receiving TE in NE. Here were the yearly TE totals with CAM in Carolina:

2011 - 85-1008-9
2012 - 77-951-6
2013 - 74-828-6
2014 - 98-1167-7
2015 - 95-1235-9
2016 - 91-1217-4
2017 - 49-645-2
2018 - 65-676-7

The Panthers migrated more to RB and away from TE those last two seasons with Olsen banged up. Who knows if Asiasi is a legit NFL TE, but Newton and McDaniels should give him a good opportunity to show his stuff. IMO, not a lot of risk taking an NFL starting TE on a team devoid of offensive weapons at pick 265.

Kickers:
Zane Gonzalez ARI (All ADP PK11 - 193 | L2 PK11 196 | 2019: PK8)
Nick Folk NEP (All ADP PK33 - 281 | L2 PK30 - 253 | 2019: PK31)

I am not sure I follow the logic with Gonzalez. He was one of the most accurate kickers last year and performed very well. Yet some places don't even have him ranked as a Top 20 kicker this year. The Cardinals offense should be better than last year . . . doesn't that usually mean more kicking opportunities and more points? Confused by why some people are down on him. To the best of my knowledge, the Patriots have not tried out any other kickers even without having one on their primary roster. I expect Folk will be a last second call up and will be kicking against the Dolphins. Their 5th round draft pick was brutally bad in camp (made only 52% of his kicks) while Folk was north of 90% IIRC. Bill is using the new roster, practice squad, and call up rules to his advantage. Maybe Folk stumbles, maybe the rookie improves, maybe they do bring in someone else . . . but for now I think it will be Folk.

Defense:
Patriots DST (All ADP DEF9 - 190 | L2 DEF8 - 180 | 2019: DEF1)
Raiders DST (All ADP DEF28 - 289) | L2 DEF31 - 285 | 2019: DEF28)

The NE defense certainly is going to be weaker this year . . . the question is by how much. IMO, the secondary will actually be better than last year (but they don't get many tomato can QBs to face like last year). The front 7 has question marks, but they will end up trading some size and experience for speed and youth. Who knows what that will translate to, but I think opponents will still struggle to pass the ball (and instead should run the ball a ton). If nothing else, NE will be worth watching just to see that the end product will look like (compared to what we have been used to for 20 years). The talk around Boston has been are the Pats more likely to be 11-5 or 5-11, as those appeared to be the highs and lows in people's predications for them this year. I can't say that I know much about the Raiders defense and basically they were available when I had to pick. I can't say that I want a defense that has to face the Chiefs twice in a season.

Overall, I think I have a decent squad. Probably will end up with some guys from playoff bound teams. Without too many injuries, I think I should at least be competitive and in the hunt. I've said that before and ended up 1,000 points behind the leader, so what do I know . . .

That didn't last long.
Nope. 

Turns out a lot of my points coming from the Cardinals and WFT who were on bye last week.

You got to take your moments in the sun when you can. I don't think my players have much playoff potential.

Revisiting this at the end of the regular season, with the championship being basically a three-man race now (me, Bia and Coordinator, though JWB could theoretically get into it depending how the playoffs go).

1.12 Mark Andrews, TE BAL

Wow, really didn’t expect to get a live TE down this far. Andrews finished as the #5 TE last year despite sitting week 17 and only getting one playoff game. His 285 points would have made him the #4 RB or #3 WR. I was kind of expecting to get Julio Jones here, but happy because TE > WR >> RB in this format. I coulda thought about Gronk but I just don’t buy the Tampa story this year.
Andrews performed pretty exactly to spec: he's the #6 TE right now (despite missing two COVID games) and still in the playoffs. Generally a strategic win although Derrick Henry and Dalvin Cook would have been solid choices. But some of the other options like CEH and Julio Jones would have been disasters. 

2.05 Darren Waller, TE LV (LV?)

It was pretty clearly a TE for me here. Only other possibility was Mike Evans, and like I said, I just don’t buy the Bucs with Brady. I went back and forth between Cook, Waller, and Evan Engram. Cook has the best situation of the 3, Engram may be the most talented, but Waller I think has the best combination of the two. He actually finished as TE#4 in Anarchy last year because of his 90 receptions, even though he had just 3 TDs. He might see a downtick in targets this year with the addition of Edwards and Ruggs, but he also will probably get more TD chances.

This is where I should have selected Keenan Allen last year, but that was when he had a QB. If I’m lucky the situation in San Diego is scary enough that he'll be there in the third.
Really crazy that people let him fall this far. The #2 TE, 140 points up on third place and 29 points ahead of Davante Adams, the only position player at all close. The #1 reason I'm at the top of the league. Take TEs in Anarchy.

3.12 Keenan Allen, WR LAC 

I really debated over this. There are a number of solid WR1s left on the board and I can’t really pass one up here. I went back and forth between Cooper Kupp, Adam Thielen, and Allen. In fact I had changed my order just shortly before Norseman picked, to put Kupp at the top of my list. Then Norseman picked Kupp which would have saved me the trouble. 

My biggest mistake in Anarchy last year was choosing Antonio Brown over Allen. (It wasn’t obvious for the first few days how much of a mistake that was). Allen this year is getting downgraded an entire round because of his QB situation, and while that’s understandable, it doesn’t really make much sense. Allen finished as WR9 in 2019 and here he’s going as WR14. He’s still going to be the #1 target getter and Sammy Watkins had 1047/9 with Tyrod Taylor at QB. Should get at least par value. Could wind up regretting missing on Thielen, but he really struggled with injuries last year.
Go Bears. Another big reason I had a successful season; #12 WR despite missing the last two games. In the end, a par pick (taken as the #14 WR), but better than that because WR >> RB. (Other guys being taken around here were Fournette, Mostert, Kenyan Drake.

4.05 Todd Gurley, RB ATL

I really expected one of the two guys on my pre-draft list, Thielen and Hunter Henry, to make it to me. Woke up on the clock as they got taken in the three picks before mine (grr). The TE cupboard is pretty bare, and Thielen was the last WR I was really excited about. I thought about Robert Woods, AJ Green, or Stephon Diggs, but eventually decided that RB value had risen enough to take my first. Gurley is the 17th RB taken, which is a pretty big drop for him. He finished as RB11 in Anarchy last year. There’s uncertainty about his role in ATL and his knee but down here getting a potential top-5 RB with questions is as good as you can do.
Diggs would have been the pick here, obviously. But Gurley wound up more or less at par finishing as RB23. 

5.12 Mike Gesickt, TE MIA

Once again I woke up on the clock. I had been watching the guys on my pre-draft list get picked off one by one; AJ Green, Hayden Hurst, DeVante Parker, Stefon Diggs, Robert Woods. The one guy I had left was DJ Chark who got taken the pick before me (grr, Norseman). Chark was the end of a tier, so the remaining WRs really didn’t do much for me (Jarvis Landry and company), and we’re also out of legit starting RBs. 

In Anarchy, when in doubt, take a TE. 
Wisdom. Even Landry who had a pretty good season got outscored by 20+. 

6.05 Devin Singletary, RB BUF

I’m done with TEs, and the only WR I was remotely interested in at this point was Jarvis Landry who went a pick before this. We’re solidly into third-tier RBs but their value is coming up and there are still some guys with potential. Singletary is a favorite breakout candidate for certain fantasy football types I’m sure he’ll be on Otis’ list, if Otis is still into embarrassing himself in public.

Now that I say that, if Otis likes it it’s probably a bad pick and he’ll wind up with 150 touches and 3 TDs like he did last year. (And Otis will post long excited screeches after every one of those TDs.). Maybe Cam Akers would have been a better choice. Or maybe I’m wrong and Cam Akers is Otis’ pick and Singletary will go for 1200 total and 10 TDs. Anyway, at this point in the RB pool you’re hoping just to get some decent production with some upside.
Below-par (RB37) but at least he put up 100 points. Outscored Akers by 15. Kareem Hunt (RB11) would have been a surprisingly good choice though. 

7.12 James White, RB NE

You can never tell what’s going to go on from week to week with running backs in New England, but White has been a consistent mid-tier producer for several years now and there’s no reason to believe that will change. 1000 combined and 6 TDs is all I ask of a 7th round RB. I would have preferred Sterling Shepard or John Brown but the guys ahead of me are doing a great job of sniping this year.
Missed a bunch of time and finished sub-par (RB57). Not entirely disastrous but not great. But, there weren't really other RBs who were plausible choices who did any better.

8.05 Justin Jefferson, WR MIN

I finally got a pick at the top of my list. Stefon Diggs took his 1100 yards with him to Buffalo. Jefferson’s the obvious starter across from Thielen and the noise out of camp is positive. I need to start loading up on WRs and I’m happy with the upside here.
The #2 reason (after Waller) why I had a successful season. WR6 taken at #117 overall. 

9.12 Anthony Miller, WR CHI

We’re out of top-tier and even mid-tier WRs, so it’s time to start scraping the barrel. Miller at least is the clear #2 in Chicago, but it’s very much a #1 and #2 situation as Robinson got almost twice as many targets last year. There’s a little reason for optimism as Nick Foles may wind up replacing Trubisky. Foles’ history is that he spreads the ball around. 
Par for this deep in the draft; WR69, 110 points.

10.05 Robby Anderson, WR CAR

I dig the hair. And, he’s a pretty consistent third-tier WR with some upside if Darnold continues to grow. Hard to get excited about much down here.

At this point I need one more RB, one more WR, and all of TMQB, DEF, and PK. Kickers just started to go so I might be thinking about one by my next turn. You can always wait for the last four rounds for TMQB and DEF.
Huge get here, WR19. More lucky than anything though.

11.12 Justin Jackson, RB LAC

Jackson’s in the best position to step into the Melvin Gordon role in the Chargers’ offense. He did great in limited work in 2019, and Ekeler won’t ever be viewed as a workhorse back. Buzz out of camp is good, lots of talk of Jackson as a sleeper. I think absent an injury to Ekeler he’s not likely to have a huge year, but he could push 1000 combined yards in an RBBC (as Gordon did), with potential for a big season if Ekeler misses any time.
Missed a bunch of time himself or he might have been OK. But sub-par, RB72.

12.05 Ka’imi Fairbain, PK HOU

Whatever. He’s a kicker. But I’m annoyed that Just Win Baby nabbed DeSean Jackson. From a fantasy perspective I actually don’t think Jackson's worth taking at this point but he was my last reasonable opportunity to get another Golden Bear. I was hoping to get him after the kickers.
Whatever. He's a kicker (PK15).

13.12 Younghoe Koo, PK ATL

If I have to have a kicker, I at least want it to be one worth watching. Koo’s trick kicks and that 3-onside game are worth the price of admission.

That all leaves me with two TMQBs, two Ds and a flyer WR to pick up. I might hang on the WR to the last round just to see if anything interesting comes out of camps. 
Got lucky here with PK2. Even so, it's only 38 points different than PK15. 

14.05 Las Vegas Raiders TMQB

Here’s why I think it’s almost always silly to take a QB early in Anarchy. Carr threw for over 4000 yards last season and he finished as the #16 QB, and that was before he got a new first-round rookie WR. He’s the 27th QB off the board here. He’s not likely to be in the top 5 QBs but he (and Mariotta, if Carr goes down) is almost certain to be in the middle of the pack with guys who went five and six rounds earlier. And the Raiders might even make the playoffs.
Middle of the pack, check, TMQB13 here. 

15.12 LA Chargers TMQB

Obviously we can’t expect the performance of the LAC TMQB from previous years with Rivers now gone. But they seem like they might not suck. And I guess I get a double-up with Keenan Allen.
Slightly lucky TMQB11. But I think the point is that you can get decent production deep in the draft because it's TMQB rather than individuals. These two gave up about 100 points to Mahomes who was taken 13 rounds earlier. And even the Jaguars and Dolphins available down here did OK. 

16.05 Alshon Jeffery, WR PHI

I needed another WR, and I was surprised, looking at rosters, how many other people still need or could take WRs. So I figured as long as there was a WR I cared about, I should go for him before I take the DSTs. There was a total of one WR on that list, and he was still there, so I got him.

Jeffery’s fallen this far because he’s hurt, and we’re still not sure when he’ll see the field. But he’s got way more potential than anyone else down here. I’ll be happy to get 10 games out of him.
Long shot that didn't work out; WR154. Russell Gage would have been the best pick down here but that's 2020 hindsight.

17.12 Cincinatti Bengals Def

I ran some numbers on this a few years back and found that bargain-basement Ds usually are great value, often performing in the middle of the pack and sometimes making the top 10. Do I know that Cincinatti will? No. But it’s cheap and it probably won’t be much worse than Ds taken many rounds earlier. 

Of course, I took Cincinatti last year in about the same spot and they finished 30th. But they did a revamp, and they should be closer to the middle of the pack.
Well, not close to the middle of the pack (DEF29). Could have gotten Washington who finished as DEF7 (+90 points)

18.05 Detroit Lions Def

Coincidentally, my two defenses last year were Detroit and Cincinnati. They both kinda sucked, and they both did a rebuild, Detroit especially in the secondary. Hoping they finish 17th this year.
Well, turned out they finished 32nd. Could have gotten Carolina who finished 14th (+70). Or, the very last defense taken in the draft, pick 18.14, finished as DEF4 (Miami). Think that validates that taking DEF earlier is not worth it but maybe I should do some more research next time.

Good luck in the playoffs to all who are still in it. Take care.

1.14 Zach Ertz, TE, PHI - Drafted as TE5. Finished last season as TE3 and was the #6 overall scorer excluding TMQB. So he should be about as good a value as is possible to draft at this position. Playoff points seem likely.
Pick crushed by injury, but, if not, might have been crushed by Philly offensive implosion.

2.3 Chris Godwin, WR, TB - Drafted as WR6. Finished last season as WR3 , despite the fact that he played only 14 games. Enter Tom Brady. Godwin's skill set seems to be at least a slightly better fit for Brady than Evans, so I don't see any reason for a dropoff as long as he and Brady stay healthy. Solid chance for playoff points.
Currently WR31, despite missing 4 games, and could move up a bit in postseason. Disappointing but could have been worse.

3.14 Tyler Lockett, WR, SEA - Drafted as WR15. Finished last season as WR5 on just 8.0 targets per game. I can't see those targets going down, as there are some signs that Carroll might actually #LetRussCook a bit more this season. I chose Lockett over the other available WRs in his tier because IMO he has the best QB among them as well as the best chance at playoff points.

4.3 DK Metcalf, WR, SEA - Drafted as WR19. Finished last season as WR21 as a rookie, but was WR9 from week 9 forward. I expect him to move into the top 15 WRs this season in this format. Playoff points seem likely. I considered TE Henry here, but I think he is a bit overrated for 2020 (injury history, Taylor/Herbert replacing Rivers, playoffs unlikely) and expect Metcalf to outscore him by a non-trivial margin.

In this format, my objective in the first 4 rounds is to try to target safe, productive players, and I think I did that here. Individually, there may have been safer options than Lockett and Metcalf, but IMO pairing them mitigates that.
Nailed this. Metcalf is WR7 and Lockett is currently WR8, with playoff points to come.

5.14 Jonnu Smith, TE, TEN - Drafted as TE18. Finished last season as TE16, even though other TEN TEs combined for 190.2 fantasy points. Delanie Walker had 75.5 of those points, and he is gone. Smith has been playing well in camp, and I'm expecting him to finish as a top 12 TE this season in Anarchy format. Playoff points are possible.
TE16 right now, but in the playoffs, so could move up. Solid pick, regardless.

6.3 Michael Gallup, WR, DAL - Drafted as WR30. Finished last season as WR27 as a rookie in 14 games. The Cowboys added rookie WR Lamb, but they also let Witten, Cobb, Austin, and their combined 190 targets walk, so there should still be plenty of targets for Gallup, especially with Lamb losing valuable time/reps to COVID. Playoff points are possible.
Finished as WR39, with ~40 points fewer than last season. Marginal miss, though hard to know how it might have turned out if Dak was healthy (though, in fairness, he was WR38 in the first 5 games).

7.14 Bills, TMQB, BUF - Drafted as TMQB11. Finished last season as TMQB10, and I'm expecting some improvement on that ranking in 2020. The Bills added Diggs, and Josh Allen will be playing his third season and should show some improvement, as he did from his first season to his second. Even if Allen regresses a bit in rushing, I expect it will be made up in passing production. Playoff points seem very likely.
Currently TMQB1 and in the playoffs, so more points coming. Great pick.

8.3 Marlon Mack, RB, IND - Drafted as RB34. Finished last season as RB19, despite playing just 14 games. He certainly stands to be impacted by Taylor, who has looked great running the ball in camp but has played poorly in the passing game, with several drops. I am reasonably confident in 150+ points for Mack if he stays healthy, and that would be great value here. Playoff points are likely IMO.
Hurt in game 1, so a bust due to injury.

9.14 Titans, TMQB, TEN - Drafted as TMQB20. Finished last season as TMQB6. The 2019 Titans played 3 playoff games, which boosted their production in this format, but through week 17, they were TMQB8. To expect some regression is reasonable, but I expect this team to outperform this draft position, with a high ceiling that was demonstrated last season. Playoff points are possible.
Currently TMQB9 and in the playoffs. Great pick.

10.3 Matt Breida, RB, MIA - Drafted as RB43. Finished last season as RB43, but was traded to the Dolphins. I'm expecting a bigger role for him in Miami than in SF, so expecting 100+ points.
35 points. Bust.

11.14 Desean Jackson, WR, PHI - Drafted as WR64. Only played one healthy game in 2019, but had 8/154/2 on 9 targets in that game, his first in Doug Pederson's offense. Over the past 5 seasons, he has averaged 11.6 ppg in this format, which scales to 185 points over 16 games, which would have ranked as WR36 last season. He hasn't played 16 games since 2013, but injury seems like the only thing that could prevent this pick from being a steal, and he is fully healthy right now. Meanwhile, Jeffery isn't healthy, Goodwin opted out of the season, and Reagor lost time/reps to COVID and is now apparently out for at least 4 weeks. Playoff points seem likely if Jackson is healthy enough to play.
44.8 points. Bust. Injuries took him out, but that was a known risk. And the Philly offensive implosion might have blown this pick, anyway.

12.3 Gerald Everett, TE, LAR - Drafted as TE28. Finished last season as TE25, despite a serious injury in week 12; he was TE11 through week 11. Of course, that allowed Higbee to break out in the second half. But the Rams traded WR Cooks, clearing the way to play more 12 personnel this season, so there should be enough opportunity for Everett to return value on this pick. McVay has stated recently that he needs to do a better job of involving Everett, hopefully more than just coach speak. Playoff points seem unlikely.
Currently TE22, and in the playoffs, though the Rams could easily be one and done with nothing from him. Solid pick.

13.14 Chris Thompson, RB, JAX - Drafted as RB54. Finished last season as RB61 but missed 5 games. Back with Jay Gruden in JAX and Fournette's release creates opportunity, so hoping for 100 points here... Wasn't targeting Thompson until Fournette was released and I found him to be available. Probably would have taken Darrell Henderson if not for that development. Hope I don't regret the decision.
22.6 points. What a disaster pick. Useless. @Biabreakable was right. Had I taken Henderson, I would have 90 more points right now.

14.3 Jason Myers, SEA, PK - Drafted as PK15. Finished last season as PK14. Expecting playoff points.
Currently PK9, and gets playoff points. Good pick.

15.14 Eagles, PHI, DST - Drafted as DST16. Finished last season as DST14, despite having the 4th most adjusted games lost on defense, per Football Outsiders, and made personnel improvements that could result in moving into the top 10 in this format. Playoff points are likely.
Currently DST13. Solid pick.

16.3 Joey Slye, PK, CAR - Drafted as PK25. Finished last season as PK11. Not expecting playoff points, but just wanted to avoid a high risk PK situation, and should have accomplished that here.
Currently PK17. Solid pick.

17.14 Football Team, DST, WAS - Drafted as DST25. Finished last season as DST23, but they replaced offensive-minded HC Gruden with defensive-minded HC Rivera, and drafted Chase Young, so hoping they can improve on that finish.
Currently DST9. Great pick.

18.3 Jerick McKinnon, RB, SF - Drafted as RB65. Hasn't been healthy since 2017, when he finished as RB19 in this format. Reports from training camp have been glowing. Playoff points seem likely. Hoping for 100+ points, which would be amazing value at this point in the draft.
93.2 points, so came through. Great pick at this point in the draft.

Looks like 6 misses out of 18 picks, with a couple of those due to injury, as is typical. Missing on the first 2 picks (even if mostly due to injury) is tough to overcome. Playoffs still to come, so hoping to move up. :football:  

I appreciate the post mortem reports guys interesting to hear your perspective on things.

I wasnt right about James Robinson. None of us did.

I was right that there were a couple other options. I didnt know who they were though. Jacksonville not a team I know well at all.

I thought they all would be bad and wasted picks. A Robinson pick would have been huge.

There's a few other guys none of took who did well like Tonyan.

I think collectively we should do better.

My pick of AJ Dillon wasnt any better. Maybe they use him in the playoffs some.

Most of my players are done now. I needed the Cards or Vikings to make it to be in better shape there.

So I intended to go with a TE as my flex but I had too many rookie WR in my predraft list and ended up with Tee Higgins instead. You guys still in need of a TE get one more to choose from.

I know which one I was planning to take. Will be checking that against Higgins when all is said and done.

I drafted too many rookies I know. All bust team for 2020

1.15    15    Cook, Dalvin MIN RB    - There has been some drama surrounding Cook all off season but I see him playing at a high level as he tries to earn a big contract next season. He is seeking a McCaffrey level deal and the Vikings were only offering $12 million per year. Cook was the 4th highest scoring RB in this league last season despite missing 2 games.
This pick turned out to be better than I was expecting. Cook is great, as a fan of the Vikings for a long time he is my favorite RB they have had since Terry Allen. In the other Anarchy league I drafted Sanquon Barkley over him. The anti homer move. I regret that.

2.02    18    Hopkins, DeAndre ARI WR (Q)    - Hopkins has never been one of my guys and his price has always been too high for me to acquire until now. My landing him caused me to decide to try to stack him with Kyler Murray.
Pretty happy with Hopkins although he and Murray both seemed to cool off down the stretch after that amazing hail mary play.

3.15    47    Cardinals, Arizona ARI TMQB    - Murray had a great rookie season and ran for a ton of yards as well. I am expecting him to improve a lot in his second season, The addition of Hopkins helps. The Cardinals are pretty deep at WR now. I am expecting a top 10 finish for him.
This guy is a major part of why this team was successful this season. I was able to get him as the 7th QB selected and he performed as the 5th QB through the regular season. If I did not get Murray here I would have passed on QB for a lot longer.

4.02    50    Thielen, Adam MIN WR    - I think Adam Thielens floor is 120 targets in 2020. Plus I get to watch all his games.
I underestimated Justin Jefferson. Pretty happy to be wrong about him. The worries of the Treadwell and Williamson picks in the past had me worried. During pre NFL draft evaluation I just never got excited about him. Similar to watching Michael Thomas college games, it seemed fine but I wasn't overly impressed with him. I thought the majority of mock drafts and so on were higher on him than I was. I still feel somewhat the same way. He doesnt make jump out of your seat type plays, he is just really solid and good at everything. I would say his best trait are his hands. He is very strong at the catch point, similar to Thielen in a lot of ways.

Sorry I spent most of that talking about Jefferson. Thielen did a good job and scored a lot of TD so this was a fine pick. If I didn't get him I would have got Diggs or Ridley instead. Should have went with Diggs over him in retrospect. I did think Diggs would improve Josh Allen and the Bills offense overall. I greatly underestimated how much of a difference Diggs would make for Josh Allen. With Diggs as the focal point now it seems like Allen has gotten comfortable and confident in his throws. It has carried over to him doing well with all of the receivers not just Diggs. If Diggs and Thielen were still with the Vikings I would have taken DIggs ahead of him.

5.15    79    Fant, Noah DEN TE    - Fant took awhile to get going as a rookie but he had 40 receptions and the 2nd highest ypc pf any TE last season with 10  or more receptions. Jared Cook was the top guy last year and I was targeting him but had to settle for Fant.
I was looking at Jared Cook (who didn't do much) or Jonnu Smith over Fant here. Ends up Fant was a better pick than them anyways.

6.02    82    McLaurin, Terry WAS WR    - I think McLaurin gets a ton of targets in 2020 on a bad team. While everyone is gushing over AJ Brown this off season while McLaurin had more receptions and more yards than him in 2 fewer games.
Still feel the same about McLaurin who has been a steady producer since day one.

7.15    111    Swift, D'Andre DET RB (Q)    - I was targeting JK Dobbins for this pick but I had to settle for Swift instead. As a prospect I think he is very similar to Dalvin Cook. I would be more excited about him on another team besides Detroit who likely splits opportunity too much between their RBs.
Swift did about as well as I could have hoped despite Peterson being cut and taking some of his opportunities away.

8.02    114    Smith Jr., Irv MIN TE    - I was targeting Jonnu Smith for this pick but JWB snoped him ahead of me to I had to settle for Irv Smith instead. I am hoping for 50  receptions here and have both Smiths projected to be pretty close 
This pick ended up being a reach. I got caught up with all the blabber about how he was doing great in virtual TC like that means anything. It didn't. I do like him for 2021 and going forward though. I think Rudolph will be gone due to $$

9.15    143    Edwards, Bryan LVR WR    - I think its possible that Edwards leads the Raiders in receptions this season. 
Well it was possible but this was not even close to happening. I have come to the realization that Waller plays the Z WR position for the Raiders as his primary role. Edwards did have a chance to be their 2nd most targeted receiver but he lost that job to Nelson Agholor after he got injured early and he never got it back.

10.02    146    Gibson, Antonio WAS RB    - This guy is pretty amazing with the ball in his hands. I am expecting Washington to be in negative game scripts a lot and Gobson should be their guy in those situations. Peterson a almost insurmountable obstacle to him doing more.
The timing for this was good as I don't think Washinton had released Peterson yet. So with the format not being friendly to RB and his role in the offense still up in the air it was a bargain. Gibson started getting drafted a lot higher than this after Peterson was released. A week later and I would not have gotten him. Really happy with how he played and excited about his future.

11.15    175    Bailey, Dan MIN PK    - This guy actually kicked really well last year. I do think the Vikings get at least one extra playoff game.
Why oh why do I think it is a good idea to draft a Vikings kicker??? I should know better. Man he has been awful.

12.02    178    Vikings, Minnesota MIN Def    - I might be buying into the reports of rookie corners playing well, Zimmer said he has never had a bad defense and isn't about to start now. Some possible new wrinkles in the defense from Dom Capers influence and there does seem to be a higher focus on causing turnovers.
Well the defense was terrible worst ever in ZImmers time with the team. I actually thought they would be competent but without Griffen and Hunter they had no pass rush.

13.15    207    Prater, Matt DET PK    - One of the best in the business, He reportedly has been hitting kicks over 65 yards in practice consistently.
He does have a strong leg. He kept his job.

14.02    210    Dillon, AJ GBP RB    - I like Dillon a lot. If he were not a Packer I would like him more. Seems like everyone is sleeping on him. Had to plug my nose and take the plunge here.
He never got the chance to show what he can do except for one game, which was great, he scored 2 TD. I am clearly a year too early here though.

15.15    239    Jefferson, Van LAR WR    - I have been a fan of this guy for awhile. I wanted the Vikings to take him. He was drafted higer than I expected. From what I am hearing he has already passed Josh Reynolds on the depth chart.
Jefferson has performed well when he has gotten the opportunity. He did not beat out Josh Reynolds for playing time which is something I hoped he might do.

16.02    242    Higgins, Tee CIN WR - I havent heard much news about him since the draft. I think he was on the shelf for awhile so not participating in practice until recently. Ross and Green are injury risks though and maybe Higgins gets to play at some point. As I said before I wish this pick was a TE instead though and the guy I was targeting is still out there right now. My bad.
Well this is who I should have been picking over Van Jefferson. Similar to Justin Jefferson this WR exceeded my expectations. He was a pretty consistent producer until Burrow got injured. 

I also got Carolina QB and Atlanta defense. Teddy didn't throw enough TD otherwise he was ok. He was a middle of the road QB before slumping later on in the season dropping to QB 28.

Atlantas defense sucked but they scored more points than the Vikings defense who I selected much earlier.

Overall this has been a pretty fun season for me fantasy wise. Likely because the rookie class did so well.

Congrats @CalBear for winning this league, or at least I think you are, my last player is done. JWB might overtake my spot, its close but you have a healthy lead on us.

You can go back to just drafting guys from Cal next year.

Congrats @CalBear for winning this league, or at least I think you are, my last player is done. JWB might overtake my spot, its close but you have a healthy lead on us.

You can go back to just drafting guys from Cal next year.
Hey, Keenan Allen was pretty big. 

Looking through the recap, it's funny how there aren't a lot of big standout homeruns. Basically, Waller, Jefferson and Anderson, and none of those guys were head and shoulders above the pack, just great values for where I got them. Had good strategy, avoided major injuries and got a little lucky.

If you told me I was going to finish in 11th place after starting the draft with Travis Kelce - Aaron Jones - NOS TMQB - Robert Woods, I would have said you were nuts. 

Final winning tally:

• QB11
  • QB14
  • RB26
  • RB33
  • RB58
  • RB73
  • WR10
  • WR15
  • WR24
  • WR71
  • WR154
  • TE2
  • TE5
  • TE9
  • PK4
  • PK18
  • DEF29
  • DEF32
In case you were wondering how important TEs are in Anarchy.

Final winning tally:

• QB11 - Drafted as QB29
  • QB14 - Drafted as QB27
  • RB26 - Drafted as RB17
  • RB33 - Drafted as RB27
  • RB58 - Drafted as RB32
  • RB73 - Drafted as RB49
  • WR10 - Drafted as WR47
  • WR15 - Drafted as WR14
  • WR24 - Drafted as WR58
  • WR71 - Drafted as WR56
  • WR154 - Drafted as WR80
  • TE2 - Drafted as TE6
  • TE5 - Drafted as TE3
  • TE9 - Drafted as TE17
  • PK4 - Drafted as PK13
  • PK18 - Drafted as PK8
  • DEF29 - Drafted as DEF24
  • DEF32 - Drafted as DEF28
In case you were wondering how important TEs are in Anarchy.
I think your analysis, while technically accurate (yes, TE's are important) is missing the overarching axiom that it takes getting more production from multiple draft picks taken later in the draft. That happened in spades at QB and a couple WR spots. That was more valuable than just having drafted 3 TE's early in the draft (that panned out).

I think your analysis, while technically accurate (yes, TE's are important) is missing the overarching axiom that it takes getting more production from multiple draft picks taken later in the draft. That happened in spades at QB and a couple WR spots. That was more valuable than just having drafted 3 TE's early in the draft (that panned out).
Sure, but overperformance is what wins in fantasy of any kind. And with no pickups in Anarchy, avoiding major injuries is a huge thing as well (bigger than normal leagues). So there's a bunch of luck, too.

And frankly there's not a lot of overperformance in that lineup, given that we're talking about a 16-team league. Basically one TE, two QBs, two WRs and a PK. And the QB overperformance, I would argue, is a strategic win; it has always been my belief that TMQB increases the value of late QBs relative to others, because it removes the downside risk.

Users who are viewing this thread