What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2021/22 Stanley Cup NHL Thread **** Congrats 2022 Avs Cup Champs! (3 Viewers)

I don't know the percentages, but I swear, it seems like in the NHL playoffs in the last few decades, whenever a team is up 3 games to 1 and at home in Game 5, they lose that game pretty often.  Maybe it happens less than I think, but it just feels like the road team wins a lot of those Game 5s when facing elimination. 

Bummer, but the Avs were very clearly the better team. 

That is the most basic championship hat I’ve ever seen. 

Sorry, Capella. That was so close to dynastic. It was dynastic considering the cap. 

Congrats Avs fans. A well-deserved Cup. 
Thanks. 2 wins away from a three-peat. Sheesh, I’ll think about that for a while but I don’t think they’re done. Makes it easier knowing Colorado really was clearly better. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So so happy for this!!! But so happy to experience this with our 17 year old daughter watching these playoffs with my wife and I because you never know in my life if I will ever see it again. 

My daughter was with me when she was 18, 15 years ago when Teemu grabbed the Cup and skated it right towards us. Best stuff ever.

I'm pretty disappointed, but it's been a hell of ride.  Congrats to Avs and their fans. 

I'm really interested in seeing the final injury report for TB. 

E Street Brat said:
I'm pretty disappointed, but it's been a hell of ride. 
They just could not get any scoring outside of their top line. Killorn putting up a zero for the playoffs….woof. Wish Point didn’t get hurt but what can you do. 

I was really expecting a game 7.

Third period had no action at all in the Colorado zone.  Ten minutes into the third My wife who does not watch much hockey said has the blue team had a shot on goal yet?

Seemed like halfway through the third TB was almost resigned that they could not get anything going on offense and their energy level looked to be dropping.

Third period had no action at all in the Colorado zone.  Ten minutes into the third My wife who does not watch much hockey said has the blue team had a shot on goal yet?

Seemed like halfway through the third TB was almost resigned that they could not get anything going on offense and their energy level looked to be dropping.
I blame the refs

Avs did to the Bolts what the Bolts do to other teams. Just completely locked it down with the lead. 

They just could not get any scoring outside of their top line. Killorn putting up a zero for the playoffs….woof. Wish Point didn’t get hurt but what can you do. 

Killorn and Anthony Cirelli both had to pick up the shut-down role played by the Yani line that they lost.   Nash was no help. They were better off going 11/7   Ross Colton was a ghost.  

And of course the Avs are really good team, and TB struggled over last two months of the regular season. I'm happily surprised they made to to the SCF 

Avs did to the Bolts what the Bolts do to other teams. Just completely locked it down with the lead. 
yeah Bolts did that to my Rangers at times, was very frustrating to watch. 
Was rooting hard for Tampa in this series cause I was friends with Derek Lalonde in college, hope he gets a head coaching shot. He's the freaking man. 

Playoff hockey is so much better than any other sport IMO (and I love Soccer & NFL).

I think Avs were clearly better and deserving but Bolts were super banged up and worn down from prior series. Looked like that 2nd goal really took the wind out of them and they had nothing left in the third. Was impressive to see how hard Tampa played and Vasilevskiy almost helped them pull it off. 

Avs should be back for more. Going to be hard for any team in the West to get past these guys now. 

I wonder how the series would have went if Point was 100% healthy.
Maybe we’ll get to see next year. I think these are pretty clearly the top two teams in the league, with maybe only Toronto having a say. 

Last edited by a moderator:
COL has the core to make it back. 

Kadri is a FA. He should be paid after his 87 point season. 

Nichushkin was a nice pick up for them from DAL a couple years ago. Had a career year this year along with a solid playoff performance. Also a FA who should be paid nicely. Kuemper is also a FA. 

I think Burakovsky is also a FA IIRC. Had a good year too. Manson logged over 17 minutes a night for them in his 22 games after being acquired from Anaheim. Also a FA. Depth pieces like Helm and Cogliano are also FA. 

Here's the list: https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/colorado-avalanche/ufa/

They have the cap space to bring back some guys, but they also need to lock up Mackinnon after next season. And he'll get a substantial raise from his 6.3M a year cap hit. McDavid has a 12.5M cap hit which he signed back in 2017. Matthews signed his deal in 2019. 11.6M cap hit there. Panarin signed his deal in 2019. 11.6M cap hit there too. 

McDavid's cap hit of 12.5M started in 2018-2019 when the NHL salary cap was 79.5M per team. So that's 15.7% of the cap back then. The cap hit will increase to 82.5M next year, then 83.5M the year after that (this is when Mackinnon's next deal will kick in). So hypothetically, 15.7% of 83.5M is 13.10M cap hit a year. I'm guessing his cap hit will be 12-13M a year. So a 6M a year raise roughly. 

Makar, Rantanen, and Landeskog are locked up. Toews isn't a FA until 2024-2025 so they're good there for a bit.

At the same time, Erik Johnson and his 6M cap hit comes off the book after next year. Plus guys like Newhook (13 minutes a night this year) could potentially step into a larger role. And Girard was out for a while and should be ready to go next year. 

Sakic is a solid GM. Whoever they don't bring back, I'm sure he's got a plan to replace them. 

I think they were gassed to be honest. Nothing left in the tank. Obviously COL played quite well too.

I think Compher is the Kadri replacement and then Newhook can play more minutes as well. Kuemper was pretty good for them but any goalie can win behind that team.

With Makar/Toews and Girard/Byram on the back end plus that top line, this team is going to be just fine. Nichuskin was really good and I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way to keep him.

I was really impressed with Byram. Looked like a veteran out there in the finals..  There top 4 d are young and Uber talented.

Is Tampa choosing between Palat and Killorn this offseason? Granted, keeping Palat also creates issues the following offseason with Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak needing new deals then. 

Users who are viewing this thread