What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (4 Viewers)

Vikings fan here do to location but always liked the Bills so nice to come into this thread for info.  They have to do something about their opponents stacking the defensive line.  Maybe your link shows they know that.  Now do they have the WR's to catch the ball?  maybe, just maybe.

Vikings fan here do to location but always liked the Bills so nice to come into this thread for info.  They have to do something about their opponents stacking the defensive line.  Maybe your link shows they know that.  Now do they have the WR's to catch the ball?  maybe, just maybe.
TE-Clay got deep once last week, they do the typical throw deep to the WR along the sidelines but out of bounds.  They tried one to WR-Clay he only offers deep threat speed which is why he's been active over Brandon Tate.

Gottabesweet said:
Glenn,and Lawson dressed for second straight day.  I think Glenn ran behind Dawkins last week.  Maybe move Dawkins to RT when Glenn is fully healthy.

Hyde also back today.
I'd like to see this. Give him a shot. 

If/when Glenn gets healthy I hope they do that. I'm surprised they haven't given Ryan Groy a shot
I'm not understanding this, when they gave Groy a decent amount to keep the Rams or Chargers I forget away from him to be a swing guard.  He'd potentially be an upgrade over Miller or even if they tried at RT. They gave Henderson all sorts of time in camp to see what he could do. I guess I'll trust the process. Room for improvements though.

If/when Glenn gets healthy I hope they do that. I'm surprised they haven't given Ryan Groy a shot
Glenn is going to practice in full today according to McDermott. Dawkins hasn't practiced much at RT, but he has been very solid at LT and will hopefully be given a shot at RT. Hopefully, out of Dawkins and Henderson, one of them can replace Mills at RT.

And I'm definitely in agreement with being confused about Groy not being given a shot at RG. Pretty clear that Miller isn't a fit in this offense.

Gottabesweet said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Ducasse gets cut once Henderson is back.  Ducasse is one of 4 likely players they can cut by Week 10 to earn a 4th round comp pick.
Bills aren't going to end up with a compensation pick. (And it would be. 3rd round first, then 4th if they cut another guy)

They'd have to cut 3 of the following guys:

Vlad Ducasse, Andre Holmes, Ryan Davis, Hauschka, DiMarco, Poyer, Hyde.

Pretty obvious that Poyer, Hyde and Hauschka are going nowhere. DiMarco has been used a bunch. Davis has been a regular rotation guy at DE. Holmes will be a starter this week due to Boldin retiring, Matthews breaking his thumb and the Bills having zero depth/good players at WR.

Ducasse should be cut simply because he isn't very good and is wasting a roster spot. But it's incredibly unlikely that compensatory picks are in play for Buffalo.

Bills aren't going to end up with a compensation pick. (And it would be. 3rd round first, then 4th if they cut another guy)

They'd have to cut 3 of the following guys:

Vlad Ducasse, Andre Holmes, Ryan Davis, Hauschka, DiMarco, Poyer, Hyde.

Pretty obvious that Poyer, Hyde and Hauschka are going nowhere. DiMarco has been used a bunch. Davis has been a regular rotation guy at DE. Holmes will be a starter this week due to Boldin retiring, Matthews breaking his thumb and the Bills having zero depth/good players at WR.

Ducasse should be cut simply because he isn't very good and is wasting a roster spot. But it's incredibly unlikely that compensatory picks are in play for Buffalo.
Depends where we are at around week 10 which is the deadline normally.  I could see them cutting Davis  and Holmes then if they are out of it and want the pick.  Then everyone's golden child from preseason Brandon Reilly can get signed off the practice squad.

Apparently McDermott is optimistic about Hyde and Dareus playing this week. I don't think it matters if Dareus is in there or not. The writing is on the wall with him, so all those with #99 Jerseys should throw them up on eBay now.

I'm curious about EJ Gaines. He's questionable and haven't gotten any "optimism" comments from McDermott about him. I can deal with Shaq and Dareus being out. But Hyde and Gaines would be big losses

I'm a fan of the WGR "Preseason Pledge", so I'm not really reading too much into last night's disaster, but I am a little concerned with how Tyrod fits in Rick Dennison's offense.  No question that the Bills had a very innovative, open scheme in the past two years under Greg Roman and Anthony Lynn.  Spread em out, get Tyrod in space, shotgun, pistol, wildcat, open up running lanes, lots of presnap motion, etc.  

I respect that the Bills are certainly going with a vanilla offense at this point, but they were running more of a classic pro-style offense and Tyrod looked totally out of his element last night.  Tyrod doesn't get adequate depth on center snaps - the pocket collapses too fast for a guy of his size, and he flounders.  This is an offensive line built on a speed running attack and an offense built on two playmakers - McCoy and Tyrod - getting into space and making plays.  Yet Dennison seems to want to mold them into a more pro-style, pseudo-west-coast-offense built on quick slants and timing routes with a little bit of run game mixed in.  

I watched last night and cringed at the way he's calling the offense right now.  I'm a believer in the philosophy that you fit your scheme around the players you have, not vice versa.  If they want to retool in the offseason, pick up some pass-blockers and a more traditional pocket-passer QB, fine, but you don't have that right now.  It's foolish to try to run that offense with the personnel the Bills have.

I die a little bit inside everytime I see Deshaun Watson play.
I'm trying to convince myself it was the right call to pass on those two and week after week of seeing Tyrod play terrible makes it more difficult.  

Add in the fact that Watson looks amazing so far and Maholmes might be better.  

Sometimes I hate being a Bills fan. 

I die a little bit inside everytime I see Deshaun Watson play.
He was my favorite QB coming out of this class. I thought KC was trading with us to land him. My father, a Chiefs fan, was hoping it was Watson. In hindsight it appears as though the Mahomes pick has forced Alex Smith to push the ball down the field, so it worked out for them. However, I still don't understand why we passed on Watson. I wanted us to get Russell Wilson, and we don't. I wanted Derek Carr, and we don't. It seems as though each time I really want a QB, we pass on them and they look fantastic. Would they look that good in this offense? I don't know.

What I am tired with is the beat reports and media defending Tyrod all the time. He made a few great throws in the game. But he was inaccurate on a lot of balls as well. His pocket presence isn't very good and took at least 2 third down sacks when he had time to get rid of it. The same defense over and over is that he doesn't have weapons and doesn't have an OL. 

Speaking of the OL. We can't ever have both sides of the ball playing well at the same time. In 2014 it was the defense with an offense much like what we are seeing this year. In 2015 and 2016 it was the running game carrying the team. Now the defense is very opportunistic and doing well, while our offense is in the crapper again. I will place that blame solely on the coaching staff though. They came in with this zone blocking scheme and it's clearly not working for us. We had one of the best rushing attacks for the past 2 years, so the wise thing was to change the only thing we did well? 

NaVarro Bowman released. Any chance the Bills make a run at him? I know he's more of a 3-4 ILB, but they could use some talent in the LB position.

NaVarro Bowman released. Any chance the Bills make a run at him? I know he's more of a 3-4 ILB, but they could use some talent in the LB position.
If they were a legit contender with an established team pushing for a championship, it would be a great signing and one I think both sides would be interested in.

But a team that is looking more towards rebuilding and an 8 year vet probably looking to play for a contender (or a big contract) probably don't match

I'm starting to think those victories over Denver and Atlanta weren't against playoff giants but against fallen powers. 

At least I've been sobered before billieving they can beat NE. 

I'm starting to think those victories over Denver and Atlanta weren't against playoff giants but against fallen powers. 

Thinking the same, those wins don't look impressive. At least Denver lost.

AFC is a mess.  I guess it's cool? All these divisional teams around the conference will beat up eachother and we don't play Miami/NE till December for heartbreak.

Big two weeks coming up.  Hoping for a 2-1 and if you lose one lose to TB.

I agree. But I think it's also proof that the NFL is kind of a mess this year with tons of parity. 

And I do agree with your second sentiment, but that's mostly on the basis of Brady being the difference. But it's a whole heck of a lot closer than it used to be. I mean, the Jets had a very legitimate chance at beating NE last week. In fact, the Pats have had to scrap for all their wins this year. Brady usually makes the difference, but they certainly seem beatable.

What's the feeling on how well O'leary will do filling in for Clay?
I think he looked good. And considering the team really has no other options at WR, I think he will get plenty of looks. Matthews may not play. Zay Jones has been awful (I think the 2nd worst PFF ranked WR this year) and they just signed Deonte Thompson again. Someone other than McCoy has to catch the ball. I'm high on him this week.

flysack said:
Real interesting & encouraging stat: for the money the Pats paid Gilmore, the Bills remade their entire secondary, which is very good.

Check out the table - > https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMdM0kDUQAA6qTO.jpg:large
In related news, I love Tre White. His play has been great outside of a few plays where he got beat by a really really good WR. But I love his attitude just as much. He put those plays behind him during the game, but took full responsibility after the game and was extremely upset about it. But rather than wallow or pout, he spent the bye week reviewing tape from the first 5 games self scouting himself. And he was disgusted by what he saw and saw things that he was doing wrong and is working on fixing.

That's a stud folks. Tied for pass breakups in the NFL right now, PFF's #2 overall ranked rookie so far, already trusted in week 5 to shadow Green. This kid has a chance to be a truly elite shutdown corner.

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/despite-accolades-tredavious-white-says-hes-played-terrible-vows-be-better

flysack said:
Real interesting & encouraging stat: for the money the Pats paid Gilmore, the Bills remade their entire secondary, which is very good.

Check out the table - > https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMdM0kDUQAA6qTO.jpg:large
Also, it would be great if the Bills could get Gaines extended for a reasonable amount. If they can do that, they could have a very good secondary to build around over the next several years.

I'd look elsewhere if you could.  Hit or miss.  Surely there are better WW options.
O'Leary is a replacement level player with decent hands, average-at-best speed, but he doesn't run the crispest routes. He will get targeted though. Who else is Tyrod going to throw to?

I picked him up as an emergency option should Engram have problems, but I pray I don't have to start him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, it would be great if the Bills could get Gaines extended for a reasonable amount. If they can do that, they could have a very good secondary to build around over the next several years.
That Collinsworth quote, "I think New England has better Bills players than Buffalo does," isn't looking so witty now. 

Gilmore is a borderline bust (and certainly a bust for the $).

Gillisee is a better backup to Shady than a role starter for NE.

Hogan's best year is still in 2014 with the Bills, though he is on pace for a career year in 18. 

That Collinsworth quote, "I think New England has better Bills players than Buffalo does," isn't looking so witty now. 

Hogan's best year is still in 2014 with the Bills, though he is on pace for a career year in 18. 
I think Gillislee is falling victim a bit to the fact that the Pats are underachieving to some extent. I think he'd have a lot more touches if they had bigger leads.

Hogan is still having a pretty darn good year, especially considering this most recent game he took a hell of a rib shot early in the game.

Hogan was definitely the worst loss and I think most people knew it at the time. And the way they lost him was inexcusable.

Hogan was definitely the worst loss and I think most people knew it at the time. And the way they lost him was inexcusable.
I wasn't totally against it. NE made a pretty good offer. In hindsight it was a bigger loss than it appeared to be at the time, but we obviously didn't know how much the WR position would be depleted in the time since.

O'Leary is a replacement level player with decent hands, average-at-best speed, but he doesn't run the crispest routes. He will get targeted though. Who else is Tyrod going to throw to?

I picked him up as an emergency option should Engram have problems, but I pray I don't have to start him. 
I have ASJ & Gronk starting ahead of him in my 2 TE league, but I would be very confident starting him if I didn't have them. In fact, I'm pushing him out heavily in DFS matchups this week. If you watched their week 5 game, O'Leary came in and got the same (or more) targets per snap that Clay was getting, and he did well catching the ball. He isn't a freak athlete but in a pretty ugly offense with no legit WRs Tyrod has to throw it somewhere. He's too careful to take chances so he settles for the checkdown frequently.

I wasn't totally against it. NE made a pretty good offer. In hindsight it was a bigger loss than it appeared to be at the time, but we obviously didn't know how much the WR position would be depleted in the time since.
Not matching NE's offer I understand, but the cost to tender him at a higher level to begin with was really minimal and would have cost NE a 2nd rounder in addition to their offer. That may have been enough to keep him. Yes, the Bills were cash strapped in 2016 thanks to Whaley and Overdorf's poor cap management, but $850,000 was a low price to either keep Hogan or at least get a 2nd rounder for him if they lost him. Instead, they got absolutely nothing.

I still think Zay is good. I actually mocked him to the Bills last year.  I think ALL our rookies regardless of how well they are playing are getting valuable playing time and experience and will help in the long run.  Zay should be in the slot and likely that happens next year. If only he could have learned from Boldin for a year!

I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews is back.  If you are looking for 3-40 as a ceiling then yeah go for it.  I'm thinking waivers have better options though assuming every team doesn't carry a backup. 

I still think Zay is good. I actually mocked him to the Bills last year.  I think ALL our rookies regardless of how well they are playing are getting valuable playing time and experience and will help in the long run.  Zay should be in the slot and likely that happens next year. If only he could have learned from Boldin for a year!
I certainly hope so. It's a little concerning that the mental yips have lasted this long. As a guy that isn't a burner or super quick, his value as a good receiver is almost entirely on running great routes, body control and great hands. Receivers that can't catch the ball don't last long in the NFL and it doesn't take long for QBs to start to abandon them.

Bills fans is Jordan Matthews worth a pickup sans Clay?
The video's of him practicing yesterday showed him catching the ball with no limitation.  I'm not sure if he'll be on a snap count Sunday.  He hasn't gotten crazy targets when healthy but they might have no choice without Clay.  Tough decision for sure.

3 for 40 for O'Leary? Ummm... Doubtful
And why is that. 25-30% of Tyrod's passing yards is what I'm guessing if anything 3-35.  He was 5-54 vs. the Bengals, and then when Clay was in the lineup he had a 22 yard catch and 31 yard catch in separate games. 

I mean if you want to argue just to argue go for it.

Dodds 3-29

Bloom 4-33

Tremblay 3-36

But continue to disagree on 4 to 11 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread