What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (1 Viewer)

Putting our schedule aside, if he doesn't get at least 2 games then it will be disgusting. If you suspend him you are admitting he did something wrong. If the league agrees he did something wrong and gives him a short or small penalty then it will be a disgrace to the league.

Putting our schedule aside, if he doesn't get at least 2 games then it will be disgusting. If you suspend him you are admitting he did something wrong. If the league agrees he did something wrong and gives him a short or small penalty then it will be a disgrace to the league.
I suspect he gets a 4 game suspension, then he appeals and wins the appeal.

The league gets off by giving him a suspension, and then they let him off the hook because they have no real proof of any wrong doing.

Although, whatever the suspension is, odds are the Garappolo comes in and plays lights out. Then the pats trade him for 3 #1 picks and continue to win the division the next 15 years.

I don't think it is a disgrace to the league. He deserves a suspension. I particularly don't think what he did was as bad as someone who cheats by using Steroids. Was it a bush league move and dumb? Sure. But I think he should get anywhere from a 4 to 6 game suspension just based on the after math of what he did as opposed to what he did.

Although, whatever the suspension is, odds are the Garappolo comes in and plays lights out. Then the pats trade him for 3 #1 picks and continue to win the division the next 15 years.
How disheartening would it be if Garappolo comes here and lights us up. All the excitement from this upcoming season would vanish, in week 2

I don't think it is a disgrace to the league. He deserves a suspension. I particularly don't think what he did was as bad as someone who cheats by using Steroids. Was it a bush league move and dumb? Sure. But I think he should get anywhere from a 4 to 6 game suspension just based on the after math of what he did as opposed to what he did.
Maybe he should go into the program stage one and only be suspended when he is caught a second time after rigorous testing (like the roid users).....

How disheartening would it be if Garappolo comes here and lights us up. All the excitement from this upcoming season would vanish, in week 2
Regardless of how they do it, if the Pats pull out a win in week 2 it's going to be a huge gut-punch

I was not happy with the Rex signing but after some initial complaining I decided to be positive. However, let's look at what he has done.

Let go of Swartz who had a top 5 (at worst) defense.

Brought in Incognito who was suspended because he was such a jerk to his teammates.

-paid 6 mil to Harvin was moved out of Seattle because of injuries, lack of production and rumors of being a terrible teammate

-trade an up and coming LB for an expensive RB who has continually talked down his former coach since the trade

-drafted a CB that might have help cover up a rape and was involved in a hit and run

-drafted an RB that hit his girlfriend and arranged a drug deal that ended in a gun point robbery

Any others that I'm missing?
1. Schwartz didn't want to stay. Rex wanted to keep him.

2. The GM signs players, not the coach.

3. See #2

4. See #2

5. The GM drafts players

6. See #5

:confused:

Brady suspended for 4 games!

Even if/when he wins his appeal it'll likely be reduced to 2 games.

Everything is coming up, Milhouse!

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of how they do it, if the Pats pull out a win in week 2 it's going to be a huge gut-punch
Kind of sad that every single one of knows more or less how this is going to turn out four months in advance.

Kind of sad that every single one of knows more or less how this is going to turn out four months in advance.
It's ok - it's a new system with Rex. They just need a few weeks to settle in.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
I was not happy with the Rex signing but after some initial complaining I decided to be positive. However, let's look at what he has done.

Brought in Incognito who was suspended because he was such a jerk to his teammates.

-paid 6 mil to Harvin was moved out of Seattle because of injuries, lack of production and rumors of being a terrible teammate

-trade an up and coming LB for an expensive RB who has continually talked down his former coach since the trade

-drafted a CB that might have help cover up a rape and was involved in a hit and run

-drafted an RB that hit his girlfriend and arranged a drug deal that ended in a gun point robbery

3. See #2

4. See #2

5. The GM drafts players

6. See #5

Oh that's right, the head coach has no bearing on the players that get brought in or that get drafted. It's all on Whaley.

Schwartz wanted to leave because he was so upset he didn't get the job. Rex tried to get him to stay and run the defense that Schwartz had in place but Schwartz didn't want that so Rex mercy fired him. Which team is Schwartz with now?

Sorry I wasn't on board with Teflon Rex earlier. All hail Rex!

Joking aside, whether it's Whaley or Ryan or both someone is going to have to go if this season turns into a dumpster fire. Now with Brady seemingly out to start the year the stars may be aligning for the Bills to make playoffs. If they make the playoffs and I hear some good stories about how the troubled players have turned things around and maybe done some work in the community I will be on the front line of the Rex Ryan/Doug Whaley supporters and defenders.

Aaron Rudnicki said:

3. See #2

4. See #2

5. The GM drafts players

6. See #5

Oh that's right, the head coach has no bearing on the players that get brought in or that get drafted. It's all on Whaley.

Schwartz wanted to leave because he was so upset he didn't get the job. Rex tried to get him to stay and run the defense that Schwartz had in place but Schwartz didn't want that so Rex mercy fired him. Which team is Schwartz with now?

Sorry I wasn't on board with Teflon Rex earlier. All hail Rex!

Joking aside, whether it's Whaley or Ryan or both someone is going to have to go if this season turns into a dumpster fire. Now with Brady seemingly out to start the year the stars may be aligning for the Bills to make playoffs. If they make the playoffs and I hear some good stories about how the troubled players have turned things around and maybe done some work in the community I will be on the front line of the Rex Ryan/Doug Whaley supporters and defenders.
not saying the coach has no impact, but it seems weird to put all the blame on him for every player move the team makes.

Schwartz taking his time finding another job apparently. Would have been nice to keep him as DC, but did you want him as HC? What exactly would you have done differently regarding the HC hire?

do you really think Rex just tells Whaley to (a) sign Incognito, (b) pay Harvin $6MM, © trade Alonso for McCoy, (d) draft Darby and Williams, and Whaley just says "Ok boss, whatever you want"?

you're also not giving any credit for them re-signing Jerry Hughes. most assumed he would be gone in free agency. also, Charles Clay signed away from a division rival was pretty significant.

Like I said at the bottom it doesn't matter who is making the decisions. I gave Rex the blame because you know Harvin (who's character issues compound his price tag) and Darby are Rex moves. Ultimately, I guess the blame goes on Whaley because he brought in Rex and he's approving these moves, at the minimum.

I was going to put Clay down as negative because of the huge contract but decided to mostly focus on the character issue guys they brought in. Hughes is the 5th highest paid LB (inside or outside) in the league. I give Whaley a ton of credit for trading for Hughes.

I guess I gave Whaley a lot less blame than Ryan because he has put together a puzzle that looks like it has playoffs on it and he's done it without the QB center piece. Rex had two great season when he took over the Jets and you could make the argument that he drove that team into the ground as the team became more of his own. If the problems that these guys had were bar brawls and weed possession or accepting stuff from boosters it would be different. Or even if there wasn't so many of these guys being brought in.

I'm not sure comparing Hughes to other LBs makes the most sense. He had his best season as a 4-3 DE in 2014.

http://overthecap.com/position/3-4-outside-linebacker/

He makes a bit more per year than Peppers and Kruger in the 3-4 OLB rankings.

http://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-end/

As a 4-3 DE, his $9MM/year would rank 9th, just ahead of Jared Odrick and Everson Griffen.

If you could trade Hughes on his current deal for Kruger, McPhee, Orakpo, etc. at their deals, would you? I wouldn't. I love that they were able to keep him around.

given how things blew up with the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson situations last year, I'm pretty sure the Bills have to know what they are getting into, and will have a short leash in dealing with anything that comes up. Did Rex have a lot of players getting into off field trouble during his time with the Jets?

I thought common consensus was that Rex had little control over how the Jets fell apart because they were often mismanaged by the personnel people in charge? Now he's to blame for the Jets horrible personnel moves as well?

given how things blew up with the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson situations last year, I'm pretty sure the Bills have to know what they are getting into, and will have a short leash in dealing with anything that comes up. Did Rex have a lot of players getting into off field trouble during his time with the Jets?

I thought common consensus was that Rex had little control over how the Jets fell apart because they were often mismanaged by the personnel people in charge? Now he's to blame for the Jets horrible personnel moves as well?
Well, he did have one guy shoot himself in the butt.

that happened when Plaxico was with the Giants.

years later, after he spent time in prison for his stupidity, he still managed to post 8 TDs on 45 catches with the Jets under Rex.

would Bills fans mind if Marshawn Lynch never left town?

guy was running people over on Chippewa, but now he runs people over on the field in Seattle and he's a superstar.

would Bills fans mind if Marshawn Lynch never left town?

guy was running people over on Chippewa, but now he runs people over on the field in Seattle and he's a superstar.
Can you imagine if the Bills had lost the SB the way Seattle did? I think it would be time to shut down the city and start over anew someplace less cursed.

Interesting comment from EJ Manuel. He was asked if he was playing it too safe with his passes last year. He said "I was just doing what I was asked to do."

All kinds of ways to talk about that.

Like I said at the bottom it doesn't matter who is making the decisions. I gave Rex the blame because you know Harvin (who's character issues compound his price tag) and Darby are Rex moves. Ultimately, I guess the blame goes on Whaley because he brought in Rex and he's approving these moves, at the minimum.

I was going to put Clay down as negative because of the huge contract but decided to mostly focus on the character issue guys they brought in. Hughes is the 5th highest paid LB (inside or outside) in the league. I give Whaley a ton of credit for trading for Hughes.

I guess I gave Whaley a lot less blame than Ryan because he has put together a puzzle that looks like it has playoffs on it and he's done it without the QB center piece. Rex had two great season when he took over the Jets and you could make the argument that he drove that team into the ground as the team became more of his own. If the problems that these guys had were bar brawls and weed possession or accepting stuff from boosters it would be different. Or even if there wasn't so many of these guys being brought in.
You could argue that getting that (largely talentless) 2013 team to 8-8 was his best season of coaching and a large part the 2014 season should be placed squarely on the shoulders of the new GM who (by omission) did a lot to get Rex (and himself) fired.

No. That guy committed said act as a member of the team that dressed in the Stadium's other locker room. Saint Rex gave that poor soul a second chance.

Marcel Dareus suspended the first game of 2015 for violating the NFL policy on substance abuse.

$100M talent, $0.10 brain. What a moron.

I've read that McCoy's struggles, and Kelly's willingness to let him go, were largely based on his running style not fitting with the Eagles blocking scheme. In other words, McCoy's tendency to dance around did not work well with Kelly's "hit the hole hard" approach. Assuming this is his running style, will it translate well to Ryan's offense/blocking scheme?

I've read that McCoy's struggles, and Kelly's willingness to let him go, were largely based on his running style not fitting with the Eagles blocking scheme. In other words, McCoy's tendency to dance around did not work well with Kelly's "hit the hole hard" approach. Assuming this is his running style, will it translate well to Ryan's offense/blocking scheme?
Didn't he dominate under Chip Kelly in 2013?

Gottabesweet said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
Contract Forecast: Marcell Dareus

Spotrac's Prediction: 5 years, $77,603,434

Average annual salary: $15,520,686

Guaranteed: $36,470,000 (47%)
I think he has to get 100+

Terry will load up the GTD'd funds.
Yeah, seems low. I bet he gets more like $18M a year and $45-50M guaranteed. Of course, a bunch of it will be phony additional years type stuff.

Glad to see the reports that the Bills are interested in Ray Rice are false. I'd hate to have to throw away 40+ years of good memorabilia and start following a new team.

How Bills can clear room for Marcell Dareus under 2016 cap
Here's how they can clear that space:

1. Void WR Percy Harvin's deal after this season: For cap purposes, the Bills included two extra seasons in Harvin's deal (2016 and 2017) that are both voidable by the team. Voiding Harvin's deal would save the Bills $8 million in cap space, although if he is successful this season, the Bills might be right back at the table, trying to re-sign him. Potential savings: $8 million
  2. Extend CB Stephon Gilmore: It's not exactly logical to extend a player to create space, but the Bills can do that by negotiating with Gilmore before getting Dareus' deal done. The Bills executed Gilmore's $11 million option for 2016 but they can lower that number by approaching Gilmore with a multiyear deal that reduces his 2016 cap number (hypothetically to the $7-8 million range) but provides him long-term security. Potential savings: $3-4 million
  3. Release Chris Williams before this season: The Bills' decision to sign Williams to a four-year, $13.5 million deal last offseason was an odd decision from the start, but they can get out from the deal this summer with only a few financial scratches and bruises. Releasing Williams before this season would save $2 million in cap space in 2015 and roughly another $2 million in 2016 cap space. If that $2 million savings in 2015 is carried over to 2016, the Bills could save $4 million total. Potential savings: $4 million
  4. Release CB Leodis McKelvin after this season: The Bills could save about $7 million off their 2016 cap if they released McKelvin before this season, but that scenario seems less likely if veteran cornerback Corey Graham remains at safety. Still, the Bills could save considerable money by releasing McKelvin prior to next season, the final year of his deal. Potential savings: $3.9 million
  5. Restructure DE Mario Williams: Williams ($19.9 million) has the highest 2016 salary-cap number for the Bills. The team's recourse with Williams would be to convert either part of his $11.5 million base salary or his $2.5 million roster bonus in 2016 into a signing bonus. That would spread either of those allocations between 2016 and 2017, lessening his cap hit in 2016 but increasing it in 2017. Extending Williams' deal past 2017 would mean paying him market rate for 2018 and adding back any 2016 savings, which is an expensive long-term commitment. Potential savings: $3-6 million
  6. Restructure TE Charles Clay: Clay ($13.5 million) has the second-highest 2016 cap number for the Bills, which includes a $10 million roster bonus due on the first day of the 2016 league year. That makes his situation tricky, but from speaking to some agents about it, the Bills could still manage to shift around Clay's deal to reduce his 2016 cap number. Splitting his $10 million roster bonus into four signing bonus allocations of $2.5 million, from 2016-2019, would give him a $9 million cap hit over the final three years of his deal. Potential savings: $7.5 million

The guys are still just in shorts, but the coaches seem very pleased with John Miller so far. Rex even saying he looks like a 10 year vet. That would be fantastic for the line.

Also seems like Koundjaio (I know I butchered that) may have made a lot of progress and may be challenging for a starting spot.

GroveDiesel said:
The guys are still just in shorts, but the coaches seem very pleased with John Miller so far. Rex even saying he looks like a 10 year vet. That would be fantastic for the line.

Also seems like Koundjaio (I know I butchered that) may have made a lot of progress and may be challenging for a starting spot.
I read that Sentrel Henderson was ranked 82nd out of 84 qualifying Right Tackles. And that's the guy that beat out Koundjigogo last year. That said, they are both 2nd year players, so hopefully they're going to improve.

I think OLine is as big a question for this team as QB is. I'm hopeful that Wood/Glenn will return to form, that Incognito/Miller will improve our guard play significantly and that the guys from the 2014 draft will take a step forward - but honestly we don't know. If the OLine play is bad the team won't get anywhere near the playoffs.

Who envisioned the 2015 line being Henderson-Glenn-Wood-Miller-Koundanjoirnmfdf-0?

The tackles are a bit concerning, but the interior could be pretty damn good if Miller is all that and Glenn reverts to his 2013 form.

Who envisioned the 2015 line being Henderson-Glenn-Wood-Miller-Koundanjoirnmfdf-0?

The tackles are a bit concerning, but the interior could be pretty damn good if Miller is all that and Glenn reverts to his 2013 form.
My bet is that Glenn ends up at LT and Incognito is the LG. Wood at C, Miller at RT and a battle between Henderson and Cyrus for the RT spot.

Users who are viewing this thread