What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Offseason IDP Catchall (1 Viewer)

Getting an early start on LB depth...

• Anzalone in 5/6 Zealots leagues
  • Jermaine Carter in 5/6
  • Nasirildeen in 2/6 (likely drops)
  • Kenny Young in 2/6 (likely drops)
  • Strnad in one (likely drop)
Probably about time to drop Baron Browning.  It sounds like Derrick Barnes is probably worth holding on to for now until we see how Anzalone sticks.

Any good sources/links to help me decide on where to prune my DTS down - I bloated it up during summer, have until Monday to make my final preseason cuts. Mostly trying to find some decent updated dynasty profiles for the IDP side - I'll keep with the googling, but figured you guys may have good insight on where else to look. Eyes of the Guru has been decent, just need an update after the final cuts today and before I need to make mine

Any good sources/links to help me decide on where to prune my DTS down - I bloated it up during summer, have until Monday to make my final preseason cuts. Mostly trying to find some decent updated dynasty profiles for the IDP side - I'll keep with the googling, but figured you guys may have good insight on where else to look. Eyes of the Guru has been decent, just need an update after the final cuts today and before I need to make mine
Who you got?  Maybe we can do a crowd source here for you to see who you should keep...haha

Who you got?  Maybe we can do a crowd source here for you to see who you should keep...haha
Trying to avoid making it a direct who do I keep post, but what the heck - I'll skip DL (have Young and Hunter, only need to start 2, so will probably just keep those 2 and pick up a hot hand for bye weeks) and DB (I have hot garbage there, but doesn't score well so I'll keep a couple and pick up hot hands).

For LB though, my active roster is Fred Warner, Bobby Wagner, Tremaine Edmunds (my likely starters) with Alexander Johnson and Neville Hewitt (though may cut both in preseason to free up roster spot). May also add Jermaine Carter depending on waivers tomorrow.

Possible DTS guys at LB (we can keep guys on DTS up to 3 years if placed there as a rookie) that I have are: Derrick Barnes, Alex Highsmith, Tanner Muse, Joe Tryon, Josh Uche (and possibly Jermaine Carter depending on waivers tomorrow). Ideally I'd trim this to 3-4 of them, but if compelling enough cases can be made, I could trim some from the offensive side.

Right now, Barnes and Highsmith I think are for sure holds, and Tryon seems to be doing well enough on the field that he is probably worth holding. I can probably easily find an additional player or two on the offensive side to cut if either Muse or Uche have the upside to be contributors, otherwise I think I'm better off with the RB/WR dart throws.

Trying to avoid making it a direct who do I keep post, but what the heck - I'll skip DL (have Young and Hunter, only need to start 2, so will probably just keep those 2 and pick up a hot hand for bye weeks) and DB (I have hot garbage there, but doesn't score well so I'll keep a couple and pick up hot hands).

For LB though, my active roster is Fred Warner, Bobby Wagner, Tremaine Edmunds (my likely starters) with Alexander Johnson and Neville Hewitt (though may cut both in preseason to free up roster spot). May also add Jermaine Carter depending on waivers tomorrow.

Possible DTS guys at LB (we can keep guys on DTS up to 3 years if placed there as a rookie) that I have are: Derrick Barnes, Alex Highsmith, Tanner Muse, Joe Tryon, Josh Uche (and possibly Jermaine Carter depending on waivers tomorrow). Ideally I'd trim this to 3-4 of them, but if compelling enough cases can be made, I could trim some from the offensive side.

Right now, Barnes and Highsmith I think are for sure holds, and Tryon seems to be doing well enough on the field that he is probably worth holding. I can probably easily find an additional player or two on the offensive side to cut if either Muse or Uche have the upside to be contributors, otherwise I think I'm better off with the RB/WR dart throws.

Is it a big play scoring where getting edge rushers is worthwhile for LB spots?  That is a big factor for guys like Highsmith, Uche, and Tyron.  (all of which are quality edge options if they develop).  

I am extremely high on Barnes and have him in every league I am in.  I am hoping for big things.  I think Carter is a nice upside play if you can get him.  He should also be easy to jettison if he doesn't show well once the season starts.  

Hewitt if tough for me.  I thought he was a great IDP play and thought he would beat out Kirksey but on the other hand Kirksey will probably be hurt in a couple weeks so Hewitt may be the guy anyway.  AJ Johnson is a JAG and I would have no problem dumping him.  

Who are some of the guys you are looking to add to drop these guys? (maybe start a new acarey50 thread so this doesn't get cluttered).  IDP forum is slow so anything to start conversations is good IMO.  

Is it a big play scoring where getting edge rushers is worthwhile for LB spots?  That is a big factor for guys like Highsmith, Uche, and Tyron.  (all of which are quality edge options if they develop).  

I am extremely high on Barnes and have him in every league I am in.  I am hoping for big things.  I think Carter is a nice upside play if you can get him.  He should also be easy to jettison if he doesn't show well once the season starts.  

Hewitt if tough for me.  I thought he was a great IDP play and thought he would beat out Kirksey but on the other hand Kirksey will probably be hurt in a couple weeks so Hewitt may be the guy anyway.  AJ Johnson is a JAG and I would have no problem dumping him.  

Who are some of the guys you are looking to add to drop these guys? (maybe start a new acarey50 thread so this doesn't get cluttered).  IDP forum is slow so anything to start conversations is good IMO.  
I'll fire up my own thread as you said, it is slow so why not some open dialog on retooling the defensive side of my squad - though half the league is on the forum and when I set up this user name however many years ago, it was more lurker so anonymity was not a concern.

But,  I would not call it a big play league - 2 points per tackle, 1 per assist, 3 per sack, 2 per interception, 2 per fumble forced, 2 per recovered, 1.5 per pass defensed. Other things mixed in like safeties, etc. only other wrinkle is all players get 0.04 per kick/punt return yard, so if any of them double as a return guy (looking at the DBs here), then there is some chance for extra points, but usually not significant.

Replied in thread there. 

Anyone see cuts that matter much yesterday? I've been going through the lists by team but it's the usual run of (mostly) names that weren't even on my radar. Any tidbits that cleared up some muddy LB groups? 

I posted my thoughts on cuts here: https://twitter.com/DynastyTripp/status/1432700739525173252?s=20

Nothing as interesting as Cam Newton tho!
Nice.  I didn't see Kiser mentioned in there, but might have missed it.  That was the most notable for me - signs are strangely pointing to Kenny Young having a shot at the every-down MLB spot to start the season.  Between Young and Carter, there are some nice week-one targets already, plus whatever surprises we get from the first week snap counts.

Do you need them to step right in or for long term value?

I like Hufanga the best of the group for long term.  I don't think any are immediate help at the moment.  
Cisco could be with Josh Jones out.  I think I like him the best both short-term and long-term from that group.

Some IR/PUP news:

• Josh Jones released from IR
  • Ashtyn Davis on IR (returnable)
  • Jacob Phillips on IR (returnable but not expected back)
  • Danny Trevathan on IR (returnable)

Got a few LB situations I’m curious about for other IDP players:

- What do we make of the Raiders LBs now with Wright and Perryman coming into the picture? Morrow is on short IR and they also have Littleton. I have both Kwiatkoski and Morrow. Feels like Kwit is the odd man out and probably droppable now, though might start until Morrow is back

- Does Zaire Franklin have a chance to make any kind of impact for Indy? Sounds like he’s a “starter” but comes off in nickel and dime scenarios 

- What do we make of the Raiders LBs now with Wright and Perryman coming into the picture? Morrow is on short IR and they also have Littleton. I have both Kwiatkoski and Morrow. Feels like Kwit is the odd man out and probably droppable now, though might start until Morrow is back

- Does Zaire Franklin have a chance to make any kind of impact for Indy? Sounds like he’s a “starter” but comes off in nickel and dime scenarios 
Wright is 32 y.o.  He was a very good player for the Seahawks for 10 seasons, but they cut him loose after his contract expired.

Perryman plus a 7th round pick were traded for a 6th round pick.  I’m surprised a team bus wasn’t part of the deal.

I don’t expect much from either of them, with all due respect.   I am interested in the Littleton/Morrow/Kwiatoski shake out, in respect to sub packages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raiders are an avoid. If you're desperate enough to be looking there, I'd roll the dice on Littleton since he was slated to start alongside Morrow, anyway. At least that gives you a LB that may have value still after Morrow returns. Kwit would, presumably, get the nod while Morrow is out but I'd probably roll the dice on Muse as an upside play. Kwit already lost the battle to Morrow, maybe Muse can keep the spot with strong play, if he gets the nod. In news that isn't helpful to you, Deablo could well be the LB solution there, which could make him an IDP stud this year listed as S on MFL.

Franklin will come off, as Leonard & Okereke are the expected 3DLBs. 

Darrell Taylor is someone I have been adding. Projected to start at LB for the Seahawks and listed as a DE at MFL.

Seahawks 2nd round pick last year.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/8/29/22647076/darrell-taylor-bruce-irvin-seattle-seahawks-nfl-preseason-los-angeles-chargers-indianapolis-colts
I added Taylor for a buck about a week ago, too. I saw that he was playing the LB role as what Bruce Irvin used to play in Seattle's system as the LEO, and it seems Taylor is. Anyway, he was still listed as a DE, which he technically is, so I figured I'd take the chance.

Christian Wilkins has made it through MFL updates without moving from DT, despite being listed everywhere as a starting DE for MIA. Not sure how many wires he may be on (zero of mine) but he should be a stud in DT required leagues. 

Raiders are an avoid. If you're desperate enough to be looking there, I'd roll the dice on Littleton since he was slated to start alongside Morrow, anyway. At least that gives you a LB that may have value still after Morrow returns. Kwit would, presumably, get the nod while Morrow is out but I'd probably roll the dice on Muse as an upside play. Kwit already lost the battle to Morrow, maybe Muse can keep the spot with strong play, if he gets the nod. In news that isn't helpful to you, Deablo could well be the LB solution there, which could make him an IDP stud this year listed as S on MFL.

Franklin will come off, as Leonard & Okereke are the expected 3DLBs. 
Thanks for the feedback. Always good to see others’ opinions playing in IDP. Without turning it into an assistant coach question, I realized a team I had two potential depth pieces definitely shook things up. I’ve got limited options (16 team devy dynasty, start 11 IDP) so I’m watching the extremes of all teams seeing where next value might poke its head in and naturally wanting to strike before my leaguemates notice. 

Bothers me that K Neal and Nick Bolton are on the wire in the league below. Now Gay is on IR for a few weeks in KCC. New redraft league so not sure of the quality of owners yet and want to take advantage.

28 man short rosters in a start 20 (10 offense/10 IDP) league. So spots are tough to come by. I went fairly offense heavy in the draft. Thoughts on those two over my group below or maybe even throwing Chuba Hubbard out for one of them?

Queen, Singleton, Logan Wilson, Jamin Davis, Jermaine Carter,  Devondre Campbell, Derrick Barnes.

Appreciate all the knowledge here as I mostly lurk.

Bothers me that K Neal and Nick Bolton are on the wire in the league below. Now Gay is on IR for a few weeks in KCC. New redraft league so not sure of the quality of owners yet and want to take advantage.

28 man short rosters in a start 20 (10 offense/10 IDP) league. So spots are tough to come by. I went fairly offense heavy in the draft. Thoughts on those two over my group below or maybe even throwing Chuba Hubbard out for one of them?

Queen, Singleton, Logan Wilson, Jamin Davis, Jermaine Carter,  Devondre Campbell, Derrick Barnes.

You have a great stable of LB's.  No need to pick up those mentioned.  Stick with what you have.

I'm slightly more optimistic about Keanu than Campbell. Don't think your league is deep enough to justify a futures play like Bolton probably is, especially with Barnes already in tow.

I'm slightly more optimistic about Keanu than Campbell. Don't think your league is deep enough to justify a futures play like Bolton probably is, especially with Barnes already in tow.
I am surprised that you have Neal over Campbell.  From what I understand Campbell is wearing the dot in GB and Neal has to fight with Smith, Parsons, LVE for time and tackles.  I think Campbell is the safer bet for stats.  

I am surprised that you have Neal over Campbell.  From what I understand Campbell is wearing the dot in GB and Neal has to fight with Smith, Parsons, LVE for time and tackles.  I think Campbell is the safer bet for stats.  
Emphasis should be on the word slightly and I am not starting either one of them week 1 if at all possible. I wrote what I did because I generally value upside over safety - and especially on my bench. 

I think Campbell is a good bet for a 70% share give or take, but I'm not starting a 70%er unless I have to. What are the chances he's a 100%er? I am skeptical Campbell's the full time guy and if there is one it's Barnes. I get they have a new DC, but tea leaves has me thinking this will still be a team that utilizes more DB's and less LB's. 

And that is not the case in Dallas. Even if they wanted to (I don't think they do) they don't have the personnel. Kazee and Wilson are...fine. Neither are reasons to keep better players off the field though. Will Hooker usurp them? Probably not, but if he both overcomes his health problems and plays better than he has to this point then I think he just eats into their snap counts; not the LB's. And that's before getting into the rest of their DB room (woof).

Between the above and where their resources were devoted this spring I expect a lot of 3 LB sets from this team and they have given every reason to believe Keanu and Parsons are above Jaylon and LVE all summer. Understandably so - the latter two were awful last season. They have history to indicate they could course correct, but show me first. And I think it's noteworthy how Keanu's been playing so frequently in the same unit as Parsons. Does that mean Keanu's a 100%er? Of course not - I just think he has a higher probability than Campbell. He also has a higher probability of being MUCH less.

So it comes down to your own risk aversion philosophy and how you assess these two situations. Me? I'd rather chase a potential LB1/2 type and get burned than settle for something I think is more of a LB3-4 type, something that is often available on most waivers throughout the season.

Emphasis should be on the word slightly and I am not starting either one of them week 1 if at all possible. I wrote what I did because I generally value upside over safety - and especially on my bench. 

I think Campbell is a good bet for a 70% share give or take, but I'm not starting a 70%er unless I have to. What are the chances he's a 100%er? I am skeptical Campbell's the full time guy and if there is one it's Barnes. I get they have a new DC, but tea leaves has me thinking this will still be a team that utilizes more DB's and less LB's. 

And that is not the case in Dallas. Even if they wanted to (I don't think they do) they don't have the personnel. Kazee and Wilson are...fine. Neither are reasons to keep better players off the field though. Will Hooker usurp them? Probably not, but if he both overcomes his health problems and plays better than he has to this point then I think he just eats into their snap counts; not the LB's. And that's before getting into the rest of their DB room (woof).

Between the above and where their resources were devoted this spring I expect a lot of 3 LB sets from this team and they have given every reason to believe Keanu and Parsons are above Jaylon and LVE all summer. Understandably so - the latter two were awful last season. They have history to indicate they could course correct, but show me first. And I think it's noteworthy how Keanu's been playing so frequently in the same unit as Parsons. Does that mean Keanu's a 100%er? Of course not - I just think he has a higher probability than Campbell. He also has a higher probability of being MUCH less.

So it comes down to your own risk aversion philosophy and how you assess these two situations. Me? I'd rather chase a potential LB1/2 type and get burned than settle for something I think is more of a LB3-4 type, something that is often available on most waivers throughout the season.
I guess we see Campbell differently.  I think he is the best LB'er in GB and will be on the field close to 100% of the time than 70% of the time.  I wasn't impressed with Barnes and he has shown the propensity to get injured as well. I don't think the Packers brought in Campbell to just be a guy and Barnes was an UDFA so not a lot of capital to be forcing him out there.  I actually think Campbell is a high end LB2 in tackle heavy formats.

For Neal I think he will be fine and if he is S eligible than he definitely increases in value.  But as a LB'er I think he is JAG and will be in the LB3/4 range with a bunch of other guys.  

So who's the starting SS in Atlanta?  Is Hawkins gonna be the guy?  I have both but want to free up a roster spot

So who's the starting SS in Atlanta?  Is Hawkins gonna be the guy?  I have both but want to free up a roster spot

Nope, it's safe to cut him. There wasn't even a point this summer when he was mentioned as potentially starting. Harmon is listed as starting SS with Harris at FS. Unofficial depth chart for game 1 has Hawkins behind him at SS and Grant behind Harris at FS.

Gally said:
I guess we see Campbell differently.  I think he is the best LB'er in GB and will be on the field close to 100% of the time than 70% of the time.  I wasn't impressed with Barnes and he has shown the propensity to get injured as well. I don't think the Packers brought in Campbell to just be a guy and Barnes was an UDFA so not a lot of capital to be forcing him out there.  I actually think Campbell is a high end LB2 in tackle heavy formats.

For Neal I think he will be fine and if he is S eligible than he definitely increases in value.  But as a LB'er I think he is JAG and will be in the LB3/4 range with a bunch of other guys.  
I think the Packers brought in Campbell because they were dissatisfied with their LB corps, but that doesn't necessarily mean they see him as the guy. I think that's evident in the contract in that $2m is not you're our starter money. Could he? Sure, lots of paths towards it. I just don't think he's in control of the path whereas I think Keanu is. 

EDIT: for some context, I don't think this is meaningfully different than what KJ Wright is to Vegas.

Gally said:

The eyes of the Guru write up for the NFC North and preseason weeks 1 and 2 caused me to fall in line with the above. All on board the Campbell train and thinking Barnes is not the dood. 

Sleeper DT Malik McDowell.

Defensive Line Flexibility Could Provide Browns Key Advantage

...he could end up being a featured player ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

He was always a big time talent.  Took a turn for the worse and found new life.

The Lazarus rise from football dead looks legit.  

Massive upside on a buy-low.  Don't pay attention to the depth chart, expect him to get lots of PT.

Massive upside on a buy-low.  Don't pay attention to the depth chart, expect him to get lots of PT.

Definitely a good, cheap stash. He wasn't in MFL system a few weeks ago but is back in now. 

Only matters in CB start leagues...

Bradley Roby traded from HOU to NO. He's suspended for week 1 but will make a nice tandem with Lattimore starting in week 2. 

For HOU, this likely makes Hargreaves a starter alongside Marshall. Hargreaves had been expected to start in Roby's spot for week 1. Definitely worth keeping an eye on Desmond King in HOU, though, as he'd have nice value if he became an outside starter that moved inside for nickel AND he is a return man which would really help his value in leagues that score KR/PR yardage.

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

I can't get over how well Malik McDowell is playing in his first game since the 2016 campaign. I know it's only one half, but I don't care. Wonderful story of redemption.

----------------------------------------------

OK stats.  Played better than his box score.  

1 assist

2 solos

1 tackle for loss

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

I can't get over how well Malik McDowell is playing in his first game since the 2016 campaign. I know it's only one half, but I don't care. Wonderful story of redemption.

----------------------------------------------

OK stats.  Played better than his box score.  

1 assist

2 solos

1 tackle for loss
If you watched the game, he was tough to miss. Played great. Dunno about fantasy relevance, but great story 

Bolton looked like the alpha in KC as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread