What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Offseason IDP Catchall (1 Viewer)

Duron Harmon in Atlanta might knock out Jaylinn Hawkins.
I actually think that'd be a good thing for Hawkins. Harmon is better suited at free while Harris is adequate but nothing special at both. It could certainly result in all 3 being role players and not useful in our game, but this opens the door for Hawkins to earn the job. If he's not able to overcome Harris then that's because of himself.

I actually think that'd be a good thing for Hawkins. Harmon is better suited at free while Harris is adequate but nothing special at both. It could certainly result in all 3 being role players and not useful in our game, but this opens the door for Hawkins to earn the job. If he's not able to overcome Harris then that's because of himself.
I agree that Harmon will be FS, leaving the door (still) open for Hawkins. Ultimately, any article I find and read on Hawkins cites safety as a big team need, calling him inexperienced and noting the new regime has no ties to him. Not promising news. Still holding at least until the draft, though, with lowered expectations... sort of, I guess, since my expectations were never more than "he's likely to be the incumbent once the vets are not resigned and/or cut" and that has held true. 

I agree that Harmon will be FS, leaving the door (still) open for Hawkins. Ultimately, any article I find and read on Hawkins cites safety as a big team need, calling him inexperienced and noting the new regime has no ties to him. Not promising news. Still holding at least until the draft, though, with lowered expectations... sort of, I guess, since my expectations were never more than "he's likely to be the incumbent once the vets are not resigned and/or cut" and that has held true. 
Oh, this sorta stash is a no expectations sorta stash. Throw darts at a bunch of these types during the prior season and hope one sticks. Atlanta was always going to add bodies to their DB room and to this point the types they have added is the plausible best case scenario for Hawkins. I've got him, Amani Hooker, and Will Harris hanging out on the end of a bench right now. If just one of them survives the first 2 days of the draft I'll be thrilled. 

What are ya'll thoughts on V. Williams back in Pittsburgh? Gut feelings on starter, backup or co-starter snaps? I have an opportunity to bring Spillane or Van Noy back and really torn now on the short term and future potential for Spillane.  

At one point this season, all Atlanta had at safety was Hawkins, so it wasn't a terrible stash, all things considered. I sort of followed that as I had him on my roster until cuts. Before they went out and got bodies, the local web sites were pretty sure they were going to have to draft a safety, the question was when. Still might.

What are ya'll thoughts on V. Williams back in Pittsburgh? Gut feelings on starter, backup or co-starter snaps? I have an opportunity to bring Spillane or Van Noy back and really torn now on the short term and future potential for Spillane.  
If healthy, Devin Bush is the only full timer on that unit.

That may be, but each league is different.  I'm in a 16 team salary cap where between 115 and 130 LB will be rostered after we finish RFA, including rookie taxi squads.  So figuring out Spillane (15ppg) over Van Noy (20ppg) is a big deal for me.  

Baron Browning is an exceptional athlete. He's also a terrible linebacker.

How much have you watched him play? His processing is atrocious. Sure, when he guesses right he makes splash plays cause he's a special athlete. That is not a frequent occurrence though. Physical gifts at this position don't matter if you consistently put yourself in a poor position to make plays. And it isn't like he has poor coaching or other factors to excuse it; he's coming from a factory school.
Sorry to quote such old content but I'm just starting to (re-)flex my IDP muscles a bit and this is a trend that is perplexing me.  As a rabid OSU fan my eyes have told me the same things you're seeing here, and that's not just about him but all our LB.  They were atrocious all year, exposed and out of position and nowhere as visibly as in the last two losses - against Alabama and Clemson and our LB exposed in mis-matches.  We had the Clemson game until they figure out how to isolate Etienne (and that Lawrence run) against our LB and then we were toast.  Plus we've had a slew of 4* and 5* guys come in at the position only to do nothing and get beat out by a bunch of scrubs like Werner and Borland.

But.

The ratings guys seem to love these guys.  Werner's getting a lot of love, Browning a ton, and even Tuf (5.1) Borland is being talked about as an early day 3 guy.  I cannot for the life of me figure it out.  But where there's smoke there's fire so this gets me thinking maybe there's something going on in the OSU scheme that's not putting these guys in the right spot, assignment, something?

Specifically on Browning I'm in depending on price/spot.   If he ends up in a sweet looking role like Carolina or someone that desperately needs a Mike and might be a 3 down potential he's moving to the top of my T2 list because those kind of physical tools can light it up if we are wrong on him.

speaking of Carolina, does anyone foresee Denzel Perryman having a significant role there or is he a 2 down guy/back-up player depending on their draft. Hoping to acquire him in one of my deeper leagues on the cheap. His price might be worth the gamble either way.

speaking of Carolina, does anyone foresee Denzel Perryman having a significant role there or is he a 2 down guy/back-up player depending on their draft. Hoping to acquire him in one of my deeper leagues on the cheap. His price might be worth the gamble either way.
Shaq was the only full timer last year. Whitehead net 90% snaps week 1 but never saw > 75% again. Jermaine Carter got 80% week 14 but that was his only total > 75%. I think Perryman is certainly worth a stash (most formats), but I wouldn't expect anything > 75% snaps. I think he was brought in because Carter ain't it, but he's still just one of those needs an injury types...and even then he still may not be a full timer.

(thehuddle) New Orleans Saints LB Demario Davis has accumulated 73 quarterback pressures since the start of the 2018 season - the most by any linebacker over that stretch - according to Pro Football Focus.

Surprised me seeing that

(thehuddle) New Orleans Saints LB Demario Davis has accumulated 73 quarterback pressures since the start of the 2018 season - the most by any linebacker over that stretch - according to Pro Football Focus.

Surprised me seeing that
He really transformed himself once he got away from the toxicity exuded by the Browns and Jets. 

Quinnen Williams: Breaks bone in foot(RotoWire)

Williams likely will need surgery after breaking a small bone in his foot, Tom Pelissero of NFL Network reports. Analysis: The surgery, assuming it happens, would come with a recovery estimate of 8-to-10 weeks, ruling Williams out for OTAs and June minicamp. He'd still have a shot to be ready for the start of training camp, though the Jets might ease him into practice even if he seems healthy again. Williams looked the part of a No. 3 overall pick in his second pro season, finishing 2020 with 55 tackles and seven sacks in only 13 games.

Seems odd when they just drafted 2 LBs.
In post-draft interviews Micah Parsons talked about a 3-4 base being the Cowboys new defensive scheme.  A little surprising considering new DC Dan Quinn ran a 4-3 in Atlanta for years.

And moving on from Jaylon + LVE isn't feasible until 22.
Sounds like they're going to try Parsons inside to start.  Unsure what the vision to best utilize Smith, VanderEsch, and Neal is though.

In Green Bay Mike McCarthy started as HC with a 4-3 but transitioned to the 3-4 in 2009.  It was a known swap though when the team brought in Dom Capers and the team then used multiple 1st round picks specifically to make the scheme work (NT BJ Raji at #9 and traded up for Clay Matthews at #26).  It appears the Cowboys are making that same transition now.

In post-draft interviews Micah Parsons talked about a 3-4 base being the Cowboys new defensive scheme.  A little surprising considering new DC Dan Quinn ran a 4-3 in Atlanta for years.

Sounds like they're going to try Parsons inside to start.  Unsure what the vision to best utilize Smith, VanderEsch, and Neal is though.

In Green Bay Mike McCarthy started as HC with a 4-3 but transitioned to the 3-4 in 2009.  It was a known swap though when the team brought in Dom Capers and the team then used multiple 1st round picks specifically to make the scheme work (NT BJ Raji at #9 and traded up for Clay Matthews at #26).  It appears the Cowboys are making that same transition now.
If they are going to 3-4 then who becomes the rush LB's?  I am in a big play league where rush LB's are huge scoring so if I can get ahead of that curve it would be a big advantage.  Anybody have any thoughts on that if this is indeed happening?  Do they make Lawrence an OLB or keep him at DE in the 3-4 which would probably kill his IDP value?  Interesting thing to watch.

Neville Hewitt signed with Houston.  Who you prefer....Kirksey or Hewitt to win the job in the middle?  I lean Hewitt.

Neville Hewitt signed with Houston.  Who you prefer....Kirksey or Hewitt to win the job in the middle?  I lean Hewitt.
They signed Kirksey 2 months ago for (I assume) more money, but when was the last time Kirksey made it to October?

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

1st round draft picks can change plans: The #AZCardinals picked LB Zaven Collins 16th overall, and he is now the starting MIKE backer. The team has given Jordan Hicks permission to find a new home via trade, source said. Hicks is a respected leader & AZ wants to do right by him.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

1st round draft picks can change plans: The #AZCardinals picked LB Zaven Collins 16th overall, and he is now the starting MIKE backer. The team has given Jordan Hicks permission to find a new home via trade, source said. Hicks is a respected leader & AZ wants to do right by him.
Nice to see because I just picked Collins in the rookie draft going on this week after Parsons and Jamin Davis were sniped from me the two picks before.  Take that @rockactionhahahaha

Nice to see because I just picked Collins in the rookie draft going on this week after Parsons and Jamin Davis were sniped from me the two picks before.  Take that @rockactionhahahaha
That's huge news. That's why I considered picking him also, because his coaches said that he might replace Hicks. 

Hicks has a very tradeable contract too. Base is only $2m w/$1m in accumulated per game roster bonuses and up to $6m in 2022 (w/none gtd). AZ's paying $6m for him regardless unless they wait until after June 1 to spread the dead money out, but with that contract I think they could net a decent pick for him. 

Does anyone have semi-decent resources for rankings for 2021. For my IDP dynasty league, I'm looking to add some potential depth to DL and have a list of 4 guys that I'd consider adding for depth or to at least carry for the summer before deciding if I want to dedicate an in season roster spot for them.

My top 2 are pretty good (Danielle Hunter and Chase Young) but behind that is just essentially fodder (Brandon Graham and Aldon Smith), and now that our rookie draft is done , we do have a waiver run coming up where I can add 1 or more guys relatively cheaply to see if they look like they will be at least backup material for this year.

Trying to find resources as I have not found much updated recently to see if what is available right now is a better option than those guys (Marcus Davenport is probably top one, also considering Josh Sweat or Carl Lawson)

Does anyone have semi-decent resources for rankings for 2021. For my IDP dynasty league, I'm looking to add some potential depth to DL and have a list of 4 guys that I'd consider adding for depth or to at least carry for the summer before deciding if I want to dedicate an in season roster spot for them.

My top 2 are pretty good (Danielle Hunter and Chase Young) but behind that is just essentially fodder (Brandon Graham and Aldon Smith), and now that our rookie draft is done , we do have a waiver run coming up where I can add 1 or more guys relatively cheaply to see if they look like they will be at least backup material for this year.

Trying to find resources as I have not found much updated recently to see if what is available right now is a better option than those guys (Marcus Davenport is probably top one, also considering Josh Sweat or Carl Lawson)
It might be best to just list the guys available and let this group chime in on their ranking of them and reasons why or why not to roster them.  It will probably be your best "rankings list" you will find currently.

It might be best to just list the guys available and let this group chime in on their ranking of them and reasons why or why not to roster them.  It will probably be your best "rankings list" you will find currently.
Fair enough and you're probably right.

Top guys available in my opinion that may even have some slight dynasty value:

Marcus Davenport

Josh Sweat

Carl Lawson

I would just be adding them for a minimum bid and hope that they show something in camp/preseason to justify keeping them into the season (no offseason roster limit, I'd likely carry at most 4 DL, though I may enter the season with less and add a hot hand midseason as our rules have contract penalties for midseason drops, so it can be advantageous to keep some roster spots open), and honestly this is probably me way overthinking things since our draft is over and realistically DL is a low scoring position in our system.

I would have no issue taking a chance on Davenport and Sweat.  I don't think Lawson will do enough to be worth it  

Davenport won't have Hendrickson there this year and hopefully will come in healthy.  If he gets the snaps he will put up sacks.  

Sweat could take a step up if he gets more snaps and Graham has to start slowing down at some point right?  I think Sweat is worth the upside to give him a chance.  

I would have no issue taking a chance on Davenport and Sweat.  I don't think Lawson will do enough to be worth it  

Davenport won't have Hendrickson there this year and hopefully will come in healthy.  If he gets the snaps he will put up sacks.  

Sweat could take a step up if he gets more snaps and Graham has to start slowing down at some point right?  I think Sweat is worth the upside to give him a chance.  
Cool, appreciate the input - and for minimum bids it's not really costing me anything

Fair enough and you're probably right.

Top guys available in my opinion that may even have some slight dynasty value:

Marcus Davenport

Josh Sweat

Carl Lawson
I think Carl Lawson is a windfall in this situation. He's in my top 50 IDPs for dynasty.

Hicks has a very tradeable contract too. Base is only $2m w/$1m in accumulated per game roster bonuses and up to $6m in 2022 (w/none gtd). AZ's paying $6m for him regardless unless they wait until after June 1 to spread the dead money out, but with that contract I think they could net a decent pick for him. 
This is exactly why inside info is so crucial in IDP. Having mediocre talents blow up in a ripe situation can lead to big pay offs down the road if you can capitalize and sell at the right time. Hicks completely fit this bill and that’s not say he won’t have value somewhere else but he was a sell high last off season IMO. Similarly, I liked Oluoken heading into last season because of the cost bs upside and got him for a 5th but am now ready to move him for considerable profit. He might buck the trend and be a mid round draft pick that produces at last years level for multiple years but I’m hedging my bet and trying to cash out. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2943068-projecting-every-nfl-teams-starting-lineup-for-2021

Uh oh, Gary Davenport, who sets MFL positions, projects starters for each team.  Fist, he lists Keanu Neal as a safety.  But here’s a list of players who are listed as Edge on teams where he already lists 2 DEs:

CJones/Golden

McPhee/Bowser

Mack/Quinn

VMiller

ZSmith/PSmith

JOEY BOSA

Floyd/Okoronkwo

OGBAH/PHILLIPS

Judon/Van Noy

Carter/Ojulari

TWatt/Highsmith

JPP/Barrett

Dupree

Gally said:

The Saints did draft a DE in the 1st round though.

Tarvarius Moore Out with torn Achilles(RotoWire) Moore suffered a torn Achilles on Monday, Matt Barrows of The Athletic reports. Analysis: It's a brutal break for the 24-year-old, who worked as a starting safety for the 49ers during the second half of last season. Moore likely will miss the entirety of the 2021 campaign, but there's a chance he's able to return late in the year with an ideal recovery.

De'Vondre Campbell (RotoWire) Campbell signed a contract with the Packers on Tuesday, Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com reports. Analysis: The 2016 fourth-round pick spent his first four seasons in Atlanta before totaling 99 tackles (70 solo) with two sacks, three passes defensed and a forced fumble in 16 games for the Cardinals last year. Campbell could beat out incumbents Kamal Martin and Krys Barnes and carve out a sizable role at inside linebacker in Green Bay.

From Twitter:

Ryan Sitzmann

@TheIDPGuru

Just found out I won

@FantasyPros

' 2020 IDP Draft Accuracy contest (in addition to being the most accurate 2020 IDP in-season ranker) & have been most accurate IDP draft ranker over the last three years combined.

https://twitter.com/TheIDPGuru/status/1413176435729223688
That doesn't surprise me.  I've chipped in some donations to Sitzmann but haven't signed up for the new pay model.  It's $10 for the season, so I might do it just to support him.

Just glad that someone did the work to compile accurate historical sack data.

I thought that cut off year was bogus, couldn't believe they didn't keep sacks an official stat up until that time.  

Deacon used the 'infamous' head-slap which basically ear-holed the offensive lineman so IMHO his stats have to placed in their own special category.  He also gained because the horse collar and other hits on the QB were not penalized as they are today.

Al 'Bubba' Baker exploded onto the scene and he 'should' own the single season sack record.  

Pre-1982 Sacks Added To Pro Football Reference

Just glad that someone did the work to compile accurate historical sack data.

I thought that cut off year was bogus, couldn't believe they didn't keep sacks an official stat up until that time.  

Deacon used the 'infamous' head-slap which basically ear-holed the offensive lineman so IMHO his stats have to placed in their own special category.  He also gained because the horse collar and other hits on the QB were not penalized as they are today.

Al 'Bubba' Baker exploded onto the scene and he 'should' own the single season sack record.  

There is a clip from one of the pre-game shows from the 1980's where Paul McGuire did a story on the head slap and was talking to Deacon Jones about it.  The technique, reason he used it, and what it did for him.  As part of it McGuire put on a helmet so Jones could demonstrate it without actually doing it.   Then Jones just hammered him.  McGuire through off the helmet yelling and screaming that he wasn't supposed to do it for real.  Jones just laughed.  I tried looking on youtube for it but couldn't find it.  

There is a clip from one of the pre-game shows from the 1980's where Paul McGuire did a story on the head slap and was talking to Deacon Jones about it.  The technique, reason he used it, and what it did for him.  As part of it McGuire put on a helmet so Jones could demonstrate it without actually doing it.   Then Jones just hammered him.  McGuire through off the helmet yelling and screaming that he wasn't supposed to do it for real.  Jones just laughed.  I tried looking on youtube for it but couldn't find it.  
Jones, incredibly, led the NFL in sacks in 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968 and 1969. (He finished third in the NFL in sacks in 1966.) No player has ever had that kind of sustained run as the NFL’s best pass rusher.
https://twitter.com/MaggottyBread/status/1415041201561120768?s=20

That's awesome.  Glad Al Baker is getting recognized for his accomplishments and the single season sack record.  Didn't like the way Michael Strahan got it from Gasteneau.  Favre taking that dive for Strahan was bush league.

🤣  That's kind of on Paul McGuire.  As an ex-NFL player, he had to know that's what Jones would do.

Also remember an NFL Films clip where Deacon Jones described his head slap technique and how he would go upside the head of a man, or a woman, etc.  Yup.  He really paused before adding the "or a woman" like he almost forgot that part of it before describing how it caused them to blink.  When the clip airs now it's edited to remove that part.

Fortunate for us, someone recorded it and posted it on YouTube: https://www.google.com/search?q=deacon+jones+head+slap+woman&oq=deacon+jones+headalap+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i13i30.7189j1j7&client=ms-android-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:cf7e229a,vid:Lm2l0pxYw-4,st:0

The NFL Around the NFL podcast had Al Baker on today and it was a cool interview.  After, Gregg Rosenthal brought up what a phenom he would be today getting something like 23, 15, and 17 sacks in his first three years.  We've never seen a start like that.  The closest was probably Aldon Smith before he imploded (14, 19.5, 8.5), but Baker was a clear step up from that.

Users who are viewing this thread