What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Team Thread (5 Viewers)

He could have had a "mega deal" with the Jets if that's what he really wanted.  If we've learned anything about Cousins is that he wants to win and sacrificed some $ to do so.  If he wins and he's earned another "mega deal" in 3 years good for him.  I hope the Vikings can afford him.  (or Sloter is ready to go...)
He just signed the best contract that this sport has ever seen and if he plays well he'll be asking for a raise in 2 years. He didn't sacrifice anything. 

That’s a terribly written piece. Someone loves the word ‘extremely’. 
well "The Norseman" isn't known for it's Pulitzer Prizes ;)

But the jest of the article is correct... Had they taken a chance on Teddy starting that game, the off season decisions, and how the fans reacted to those decisions would have been a lot easier.

As the article states, it was very apparent to all that Case was not Zimmer's "guy". The only chance he had of becoming Zimmer's "guy" was a SB win. They had no qualms starting Bradford over Case.. But maybe that explains the reasoning for not starting Teddy.. Bradford wasn't ready and failed and so they decided risk/reward of starting Teddy wasn't worth it.

But the jest of the article is correct... Had they taken a chance on Teddy starting that game, the off season decisions, and how the fans reacted to those decisions would have been a lot easier.

As the article states, it was very apparent to all that Case was not Zimmer's "guy". The only chance he had of becoming Zimmer's "guy" was a SB win. They had no qualms starting Bradford over Case.. But maybe that explains the reasoning for not starting Teddy.. Bradford wasn't ready and failed and so they decided risk/reward of starting Teddy wasn't worth it.
Sure but mid season isn’t the time to play ‘who is our long term answer at QB’ when the team is winning and the potential answer (Teddy) hadn’t played for 1.5 years. 

Sure but mid season isn’t the time to play ‘who is our long term answer at QB’ when the team is winning and the potential answer (Teddy) hadn’t played for 1.5 years.
They were coming off a bye week, so much like they did in week 5 when they pulled Bradford, letting Teddy start and pulling him if he looked like he wasn't ready, IMO, wouldn't have caused any turmoil with Case. He, and the team, knew what Zimmer thought about Case.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I think it would have been worth it to find out where Teddy was in his return. :shrug:

He just signed the best contract that this sport has ever seen and if he plays well he'll be asking for a raise in 2 years. He didn't sacrifice anything. 
He would have done the same thing with the Jets, but for more money on the first contract.  So help me out here.  How is that not sacrificing something?

He would have done the same thing with the Jets, but for more money on the first contract.  So help me out here.  How is that not sacrificing something?
We don't know the details of the Jets offer so it's impossible to know. Maybe more money came at the cost of more option years for the team. Maybe it had less guarantees. Who knows? All we know is that Cousins will make 1 million more a year than any other player in the history of the sport and it's all fully guaranteed. Brees gave his team a team friendly contract. Cousins didn't. 

Do the people complaining about Cousins trying to maximize his earning potential stumble through life, just accepting what one employer is willing to pay them?

We don't know the details of the Jets offer so it's impossible to know. Maybe more money came at the cost of more option years for the team. Maybe it had less guarantees. Who knows? All we know is that Cousins will make 1 million more a year than any other player in the history of the sport and it's all fully guaranteed. Brees gave his team a team friendly contract. Cousins didn't. 
Brees "settled" for $3MM a year less than Cousins (at 40 years of age) after years of never giving a team friendly contract.

Brees "settled" for $3MM a year less than Cousins (at 40 years of age) after years of never giving a team friendly contract.
2 years 50 million w/ 27 million guaranteed is a steal for Brees if Cousins is "worth" 28 million+ per. 

Last edited by a moderator:
2 years 50 million w/ 27 million guaranteed is a steal for Brees if Cousins is "worth" 28 million per. 
Brees is down to his last season(s) and is finally giving the Saints a team friendly deal after years of crippling their cap and causing their defense to be horrific. He was still worth it though.

I know you're a bitter Skins fan - but it's their bumbling owner/front office that caused the mess not Cousins. I'm a Jets fan (yes we have a bumbling owner/front office as well), so I should feel bitterness as well I suppose, but I think Cousins made the best decision for himself, and that's just the way things go.

Brees is down to his last season(s) and is finally giving the Saints a team friendly deal after years of crippling their cap and causing their defense to be horrific. He was still worth it though.

I know you're a bitter Skins fan - but it's their bumbling owner/front office that caused the mess not Cousins. I'm a Jets fan (yes we have a bumbling owner/front office as well), so I should feel bitterness as well I suppose, but I think Cousins made the best decision for himself, and that's just the way things go.
I don't know why you wrote so many words just to agree with me. 

Lots of eggs in that Cousins' basket.  I admire the unequivocal nature of the move.  The Vikes think they have a  window and have moved to take advantage of it.  Good for them. 

After the recent history of last season, surprised some are not too concerned about a "quality" backup..

See Vikings after Bradford went down

Eagles after Wentz went down

over even closer to home..

Rodgers goes down, how'd the Packers season turn out by turning over the team to a Unknown, unproven backup ..

:oldunsure:

I think dontari poe would be a solid signing at tackle. Daquon Jones maybe? Also would be interested in an edge rusher to rotate in with griffen and hunter. I kind of like adryian clatborn and alex okafor. Zim could always snag someone like that in the draft too and that’s probably a more cost effective approach. 

Oline for sure. Pugh and Solder probably will cost too much. Maybe at guard someone kinda young but with upside like a cameron fleming (i think he can play guard too?) josh kline? Not exciting but there isn’t much out there that screams “sign me vikes”. 
Yeah maybe Josh Kline could make a difference. On the guard list Joe Berger is listed as the 7th guard on the list and Nick Easton is listed 8th. So its not like the guards listed ahead of them are much of an improvement.

Overall the free agents are not looking that great to me compared to the players that the Vikings already have that will need new contracts next season.

I am sure the Vikings will sign some more free agents, but I don't think there are many impact free agent players available and these players are not more important than signing Diggs and Kendricks long term.

Interesting

A few weeks ago I received a call from a high-ranking member of the Vikings’ organization. “Let me ask you something,” he said, right off the bat. “Who would you rather have: Case Keenum or Kirk Cousins?” After some deliberation, I said Cousins, assuming money is no object.

“That’s what I’M thinking,” the Vikings staffer said. He explained that they liked Keenum, and if he returned, they’d be comfortable. But Cousins has three years of quality starting experience to his name, while Keenum has one. You are a little more sure about what you will get from Cousins entering 2018.

The staffer went on: We realize we would not be getting a future Hall-of-Fame quarterback, and yes, we’d still have to make him the league’s highest-paid player [$28.5 million annually, it turns out]. We can live with that because, given our dominant defense, offensive supporting cast and coaching staff, we’re one QB away from being, in our minds, the NFC’s best team. If we’re not willing to overspend on the most important position when we’re THIS close to Super Bowl contention, then what are we doing any of this for?
I think this pretty much sums up most Vikings fan's feelings on the Cousins acquisition.

But a couple of things:

1. I'm bummed about losing Teddy.  Love that kid.  Hope he has a long, successful career.  Assuming his leg is right, I think he will.

2. 2018 now becomes the type of season that has been a complete albatross for the Vikings.  Go into the season with a team that is loaded (though not without faults) at nearly every position, including the ever- elusive QB.  Expectations are for a Super Bowl.  Anything less will be viewed as a failure.  Those expectations make it hard (for me, anyway) to truly enjoy a season, even if it goes well.  Because, as we've seen so many times, the only thing this team has ever delivered when that sort of pressure is heaped upon it is devastation and heartbreak.   So my excitement over this signing is greatly tempered.

snogger said:
After the recent history of last season, surprised some are not too concerned about a "quality" backup..

See Vikings after Bradford went down

Eagles after Wentz went down

over even closer to home..

Rodgers goes down, how'd the Packers season turn out by turning over the team to a Unknown, unproven backup ..

:oldunsure:
I have to chuckle over bemoaning backup QB after signing a premier guy, when the prior business model for a decade was to bring in absolute bottom of the barrel 2nd/3rd QB sorts who would in no way/shape/form present competition for eggshell rookies. I think you just need to dispose of the idea that you are going to have a bona fide starting caliber QB on the bench because it doesn't happen at the planning stage. JMHO, it's rewriting history to suggest the Eagles had it covered with Foles, or the Vikes had it covered with Keenum, as neither was thought capable of doing what they did after failing elsewhere as a starter. Go back and read the "Eagles season all but over" headlines. You just have to trust the Vikes are going to find someone like that who will be presumed inadequate, but could exceed expectations in a pinch. 

I may be late to this topic but I absolutely love Vikings' aggressive FA signing in Kirk Cousins.  He'll do great for them especially with play-action, utilizing Dalvin Cook's multi-facet skills. 

Far better to go out and get the best QB available than to be like several franchises who are in various states of Waiting for Godot. 

I may be late to this topic but I absolutely love Vikings' aggressive FA signing in Kirk Cousins.  He'll do great for them especially with play-action, utilizing Dalvin Cook's multi-facet skills. 
It is one of the bigger free agent signings for the Vikings in their history. They don't often land the best player at a position as a free agent, much less a QB. The timing of everything is kismet. 

I am looking forward to seeing Dalvin Cook as well. If the Vikings do release Latavius Murray they will need to add RBs, but this draft has a lot of good RB who can serve as back ups and play a complimentary role. The pass protection is the main thing the Vikings may miss going that route, as this is something that usually takes some time for a player to develop. Murray and McKinnon both good in pass protection.

I have to chuckle over bemoaning backup QB after signing a premier guy, when the prior business model for a decade was to bring in absolute bottom of the barrel 2nd/3rd QB sorts who would in no way/shape/form present competition for eggshell rookies. I think you just need to dispose of the idea that you are going to have a bona fide starting caliber QB on the bench because it doesn't happen at the planning stage. JMHO, it's rewriting history to suggest the Eagles had it covered with Foles, or the Vikes had it covered with Keenum, as neither was thought capable of doing what they did after failing elsewhere as a starter. Go back and read the "Eagles season all but over" headlines. You just have to trust the Vikes are going to find someone like that who will be presumed inadequate, but could exceed expectations in a pinch. 
I'm not saying that I don't like the Cousin's signing.. I think he will do great.. But spending so much time on Kirk has left them wanting/needing quality backups.

at least Keenum and Foles had experience..

Just concerned that the "All or nothing" mentality could be "nothing" if Cousin's goes down with no clear backup plan.

We all hope they have a plan... But pretty sure the Packers and their fans felt that way about Hundley last season also.  :shrug:

I'm not saying that I don't like the Cousin's signing.. I think he will do great.. But spending so much time on Kirk has left them wanting/needing quality backups.

at least Keenum and Foles had experience..

Just concerned that the "All or nothing" mentality could be "nothing" if Cousin's goes down with no clear backup plan.

We all hope they have a plan... But pretty sure the Packers and their fans felt that way about Hundley last season also.  :shrug:
Understood, but the signing has not even technically occurred and you're talking about a void that will undoubtedly be addressed.

On Hundley, again that's a 20/20 hindsight. I'm sure the Pack thought they had backup covered after investing 3 years into him. Heck, it worked for Rodgers and other guys. I'm not even convinced it would not have worked for Hundley if the rest of the team was stronger than it played.

I was trying to look real quick and couldn’t find anything, but am curious if anyone knows where the Vikes will be sitting now with cap money to sign other players after the Cousin deal is signed. TIA

I was trying to look real quick and couldn’t find anything, but am curious if anyone knows where the Vikes will be sitting now with cap money to sign other players after the Cousin deal is signed. TIA
According to this the Vikings have $45,273,861 cap space for 2018. This is without the Cousins contract accounted for. 

He have heard $28 million on average per season for 3 seasons fully guaranteed, but we don't know specifically how much that number is for 2018 yet.

If we subtract $28 from $45 that means the Vikings have $17 million in cap space remaining after Cousins contract is accounted for.

The numbers above list Shariff Floyd as almost $7 million against the cap. This will be cleared once they reach an injury settlement with Floyd. So that means $24 million left on the 2018 cap.

They already asked Murray to take a pay cut. They may end up releasing him, if they do this frees up another $6 million in cap space, which then would give the Vikings $30 million left to work with.

Another cut they may make is Brian Robison which could clear another $4 million giving the Vikings $34 million in cap space. Jarius Wright could be cut as well which would free up almost $5 million in cap space.

So if they cut the above players the Vikings would have $39 million still to work with.

I think this extra money is likely best used to re-sign players such as Stefon Diggs, Eric Kendricks, Dannelle Hunter as better options than players they could sign in free agency.

They may want to keep Trey Waynes as well. I have read that the Vikings are looking at nickle corners though, not satisfied with how Alexander played there and its not certain if Terrence Newman will be back or not. I am expecting Newman will be back another year, but the Vikings may not want to play him as much as they have recently. He is 40 years old. 

Per Pelisero the Vikes have inquired about Sheldon Richardson. Assuming its a price check but interesting nevertheless. 

Per Pelisero the Vikes have inquired about Sheldon Richardson. Assuming its a price check but interesting nevertheless. 
It is possible he could fit the need at under tackle.

I don't know enough about him as far as why he is available, how well he has played and how much money he may be asking for.

According to this the Vikings have $45,273,861 cap space for 2018. This is without the Cousins contract accounted for. 

He have heard $28 million on average per season for 3 seasons fully guaranteed, but we don't know specifically how much that number is for 2018 yet.

If we subtract $28 from $45 that means the Vikings have $17 million in cap space remaining after Cousins contract is accounted for.

The numbers above list Shariff Floyd as almost $7 million against the cap. This will be cleared once they reach an injury settlement with Floyd. So that means $24 million left on the 2018 cap.

They already asked Murray to take a pay cut. They may end up releasing him, if they do this frees up another $6 million in cap space, which then would give the Vikings $30 million left to work with.

Another cut they may make is Brian Robison which could clear another $4 million giving the Vikings $34 million in cap space. Jarius Wright could be cut as well which would free up almost $5 million in cap space.

So if they cut the above players the Vikings would have $39 million still to work with.

I think this extra money is likely best used to re-sign players such as Stefon Diggs, Eric Kendricks, Dannelle Hunter as better options than players they could sign in free agency.

They may want to keep Trey Waynes as well. I have read that the Vikings are looking at nickle corners though, not satisfied with how Alexander played there and its not certain if Terrence Newman will be back or not. I am expecting Newman will be back another year, but the Vikings may not want to play him as much as they have recently. He is 40 years old. 
Barr will get redone this year at some point.  He counts $12M against the cap this year, so redoing his contract wouldn't cost anymore against the cap.  Hell, it could even save money if they needed it to.

I expect Wright, Robison, and Murray to either take big pay cuts or get cut.  No way any of them are making more than $2M next year if they are still on the team.

Suh likely to have a large price tag as well.  Don't see them signing him.
Yeah he doesn't seem like the type of character they always talk about so I really doubt they are interested. I have read Suh goes off script at times as well which would not make Zimmer happy from just an on the field perspective.

No doubt Suh can be a force that changes games, but seems really unlikely the Vikings sign him due to personality, money and ability to follow coaching direction.

I did some reading about Sheldon Richardson

The former Jet only had one sack for the Seahawks last year, but has totaled as many as 8.0 in a single season during his career. He did create pressure for Seattle, picking up 28 hurries and seven QB hits according to Pro Football Focus.
Richardson did play 654 defensive snaps for the Seahawks last season, almost 60% of their defensive snaps.

He was suspended for PEDs and then had an altercation for driving 140 mph resisting arrest weeks after the suspension in 2015.

RIchardson hasn't put up sack numbers at the same rate as he was prior to the PED suspension which makes me wonder if he is playing at the same level now as he was prior to that.  He is only 27 years old though so should still have some good play left in his career. 

I dunno. He has more upside as a pass rusher than Poe perhaps if he can get back to pre 2015 level. He would be younger than Tom Johnson. Not sure how much money he is asking for.

Barr will get redone this year at some point.  He counts $12M against the cap this year, so redoing his contract wouldn't cost anymore against the cap.  Hell, it could even save money if they needed it to.

I expect Wright, Robison, and Murray to either take big pay cuts or get cut.  No way any of them are making more than $2M next year if they are still on the team.
They could do that and maybe they will.

From my perspective I am not sure if they should do that, but depends on the price of course. I don't think Barr deserves to paid like a top 15 LB in the league.

There is your backup Trevor Siemian aquired. Or close to it, finalizing a trade.
I think this is an outstanding move...Siemian a a perfect back-up for a team that is close to winning it all...while you don’t want him as your long-term starter he is good enough to keep a good team winning if their starter got hurt...also allows you time to develop a youngster who can eventually take over as the next back-up to Cousins...

I think this is an outstanding move...Siemian a a perfect back-up for a team that is close to winning it all...while you don’t want him as your long-term starter he is good enough to keep a good team winning if their starter got hurt...also allows you time to develop a youngster who can eventually take over as the next back-up to Cousins...
Siemian kind of reminds me of Case Keenum. He might be able to play well later on in his career if needed.

Vikings finalize trade for Broncos QB Trevor Siemian

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday the Vikings have finalized a trade with the Denver Broncos for quarterback Trevor Siemian. In addition to Siemian, Denver sends a 2018 draft pick to Minnesota in exchange for a 2019 pick.
Not sure what round the picks are but I would assume the Vikings pick in 2019 is higher than the pick they will receive this year.

$1.9 million for Siemian in 2018 then a free agent in 2019

So about $30 million being spent at the QB position compared to $22 million for all their Qbs last season. 14.6% of the total cap was spent on QB in 2017. As things stand the Vikings will spend 16.9% of their total cap space for 2018 at QB and that percentage will go down next year as the cap is expected to go up, it will go down to something like the 15% of last season.

Case Keenum played for $1.9 million last season.

Rosen is saying a late round draft pick in 2019 for Siemian. I assume that means 4th round or later.

I don't get it. The link above says his total deal was 4/$2,332,783 but then he's getting $1.9m this year alone?
LINK

Trevor Siemian signed a 4 year, $2,332,783 contract with the Denver Broncos, including a $52,783 signing bonus, $52,783 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $583,196. In 2018, Siemian will earn a base salary of $1,907,000, while carrying a cap hit of $1,907,000.
You can see in the link that his contract was pretty cheap the first 3 years and most of the money was allocated to this season where he makes $1.9 million

Amazingly enough it appears Spotrac is wrong.  I read elsewhere that he'll make $705k this year, which is league minimum for a 4th year player, makes his contract make sense, and also makes sense for a 7th rounder on his rookie deal.

Really like the Siemian trade.

I really thought he thought the Patriots would make this move and the media would be explaining how this was a genius or classic Belichick maneuver.    

I remember when I wanted the Vikings to sign Foles (prior to the Brigwater injury) when the Rams jettisoned him. People were eager to explain to me how terrible he was.  Every young QB goes through rough patches.  I am betting he is better than his last season stats.  

This has to suck for Sloter going further down the depth chart and competing one again with his old teammate.

Users who are viewing this thread