What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 New York Football Giants (under new management of Schoen & Daboll) (1 Viewer)

Waller is a great low risk move. He doesn’t have any dead cap money tied to him so if it doesn’t work out this year they can walk. Worth it for the potential upside if they can get a mostly healthy season out of him.

Cap room is getting tight but Art Stapleton mentioned today that gmen are linked to Chark and Hardman. Would love Hardman if they can afford him, think he’d pair well playing with Kafka again and would ease some of the draft pressure to go WR in round 1.

Not going to go crazy on grading Schoen until his moves are complete. Adding a few more vets and a solid draft will make this team so much better than last year. And yeah, probably a bit of an overpay on Okereke but clearly he is the best LB we’ve had in ages and he is exactly what we need to bolster Winks D.

Wow looking at Spotrac Giants only have $2.5m cap remaining ... 30th in the NFL
They definitely need to clear up some space ...
Even after Galloday is released
Sign Barkley to a longer term (3 years)
Sign Dexter to a long term
Re-Work Leonard Williams
Maybe even Re-Work Adoree Jackson

Last edited:

Giants announce release of Kenny Golladay, saving $6.7 million on the cap​

Breaking: FA WR Parris Campbell is signing with the #Giants, source tells @theScore
The former Buckeye star comes off a career-best 62/623/3 with the #Colts last season, adding 2 rushing TDs as well.
I love this move! I had heard his name mentioned with the Giants a few weeks back and was hoping they would land him
Freakish athlete drafted in the 2nd round but slowed by injuries over his first few seasons ... huge potential if he can stay health 4.31 40 yd 40" vert 11'3" broad jump
Couple of injuries were broken bones which are fluky

Breaking: FA WR Parris Campbell is signing with the #Giants, source tells @theScore
The former Buckeye star comes off a career-best 62/623/3 with the #Colts last season, adding 2 rushing TDs as well.
Slayton is gone. Not really liking this for Julian Love though...

That being said at least they are focusing on the type of WR Jones works best with, the shifty separators that can run routes well and get some YAC/catch it and fall down.

That being said at least they are focusing on the type of WR Jones works best with, the shifty separators that can run routes well and get some YAC/catch it and fall down.
I heard that Slayton was coming back on a 2 year deal

I'd like to know where they are getting this money so that Parris Campbell AND Slayton sign (why are they paying WR3s when they want to get hopefully Addison in the 1st?) but Saquon it's like "man I wish we had some money... times are tough!"

I heard that Slayton was coming back on a 2 year deal
Yup 2 year $12MM. Giants layering up on WR2/3 types. Still need a WR1 somewhere.

Yeah, like I said in the Slayton thread Wan'Dale is supposed to be ready by training camp, and the same with Sheperd. Plus, the Giants should run a lot more 2 TE sets this season. So... I guess Colin/Marcus Johnson are gone or relegated to Special Teams?

Addison/Hyatt/whomever Giants draft
Robinson
Hodgins
Sheperd
Slayton
Campbell

That's a lot of WRs.

Yeah, like I said in the Slayton thread Wan'Dale is supposed to be ready by training camp, and the same with Sheperd. Plus, the Giants should run a lot more 2 TE sets this season. So... I guess Colin/Marcus Johnson are gone or relegated to Special Teams?

Robinson
Hodgins
Sheperd
Slayton
Campbell

That's a lot of WRs.
I agree, although 1/2 those guys have injury histories and 2 of them are coming off major injuries so looks like the plan is to bring them all in and see who is standing come cutdown day.

Robinson
Hodgins
Sheperd
Slayton
Campbell

That's a lot of WRs.
I agree, although 1/2 those guys have injury histories and 2 of them are coming off major injuries so looks like the plan is to bring them all in and see who is standing come cutdown day.
I dont think the Giants are drafting a WR in the 1st rd ... nor should they

My reaction to this development

I guess they feel Jason Pinnock or Dane Belton can replicate his numbers. I agree with @Hot Sauce Guy, it's not that easy to find versatile, solid safeties like Love out there.
Huge blow to the Giants. Not only was he a versatile safety who could play run & pass, was a green dot safety, the defensive play caller.

Hard not to imagine the Giants D taking a hit there.

I wonder if Okereke will be able to establish himself as a leader.

From the Seahawks perspective, I suspect this means they’re going to part ways with Jamal Adams?

I guess they feel Jason Pinnock or Dane Belton can replicate his numbers. I agree with @Hot Sauce Guy, it's not that easy to find versatile, solid safeties like Love out there.
Huge blow to the Giants. Not only was he a versatile safety who could play run & pass, was a green dot safety, the defensive play caller.

From the Seahawks perspective, I suspect this means they’re going to part ways with Jamal Adams?
Xavier McKinney was the green dot guy for the defense. Love took it over while McKinney was out due to injury.

Xavier McKinney was the green dot guy for the defense. Love took it over while McKinney was out due to injury.
Ah - didn’t realize that, thank you.

I just remember reading in the preseason he’d be the defensive play caller and I already had my eye on him as a sleeper (@rockaction too, IIRC)

Doesn’t seem like the Giants were that interested in signing Love. Reports were there was extension talks at the end of the season, but guessing they didn’t want to invest what he was looking for, especially considering they need to pay McKinney as well.

Sounds like most here love him (no pun intended) but watching him all these years I always thought he was “ok”. Sure, he made some plays but he missed his fair share as well. Can’t deny he had good stats last year though and I hate having another position to have to fill.

Gotta Love Daniel !
Even with his bank account now overflowing, Jones remains hard at work. He’s not out in Cabo on the beach or exploring Turks and Caicos but instead, he’s down in Alabama at QB Country continuing to refine his skills ahead of the 2023 regular season.

"#Rams DL A'Shawn Robinson, one of the top free agents available, is scheduled to visit the #Giants on Monday, source said. The veteran could beef up a NYG DL that already includes Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence, among others."
I really hope they can sign this guy. The backup interior DL would be so much better than last year. Based on PFF numbers anyway.

Last season:
Justin Ellis 31.3 PFF & Henry Mondeaux 29.7 PFF
vs.
Rakeem Nunez-Roches 56.2 PFF & A'Shawn Robinson 64.4 PFF

For those curious - Dex 92 PFF & Leo 77.9 PFF last season.

Well that doesn't help...

It looks like more and more Giants could go with either order of CB/OL the first 2 rounds. I'm seeing Addison creep higher and higher on boards, into the Top 15 in mocks now. That + the current TE room and WR glut makes me think they won't go WR until the 3rd round at the earliest.

If I'm the Giants my Draft Board looks like this ...
1st Rd (pick 25)
WR - If Jaxon Smith-Njigba or Quentin Johnston are available (they won't be) I'd take them here (not touching any of the small slot WR's)
CB - If those 2 are gone - Deonte Banks (potentially the best CB in the draft)
C - If those 3 are gone ... target Schmidtz, Tippman, Wypler

2nd Rd
C - Absolutely have to land a day 1 starting Center in the 1st 2 rds. I would even take 2 if one is capable of playing Guard i.e Avila .
CB - Best Available

The Athletic: Inside the Julian Love negotiations: Why Giants let safety walk and how they’ll replace him

The Giants are likely done making big splashes with a week of free agency in the books, but there’s still plenty happening. Here’s a look at some key topics as roster-building season rolls on:

No Love

The Giants have re-signed a slew of their own unrestricted free agents this offseason, including: QB Daniel Jones, RB Saquon Barkley (franchise tag), RB Matt Breida, WR Darius Slayton, WR Sterling Shepard, LB Jarrad Davis, P Jamie Gillan and LS Casey Kreiter. But a notable departure occurred late last week.
Safety Julian Love left the Giants to sign a two-year contract reportedly worth $12 million with the Seahawks. Many fans have since wondered why the Giants didn’t retain a valuable leader at that relatively modest cost.
The Giants and Love’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, engaged in extension talks during last season’s bye week. There was a significant gap in those negotiations, with Love targeting at least $10 million per year and the team’s offer not in that price range, according to league sources.
There was no motivation for Love to agree to an extension so far below his asking price just nine weeks before he hit the open market. The problem for Love and his representation is they didn’t foresee the depressed safety market at the time.
The safety market had been booming recently, with 11 players at the position signing contracts worth at least $10 million per year since 2021. But aside from the four-year, $64 million contract Jessie Bates signed with the Falcons, safeties simply haven’t gotten paid this offseason.
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, widely viewed as second best safety on the market, encountered a similar situation as Love. Gardner-Johnson reportedly rejected a multi-year offer from the Eagles worth more annually than the one-year, $8 million contract he wound up signing with Lions.
Love’s market was challenging to forecast heading into free agency, with league sources projecting his average annual salary anywhere from $5 million to $9.5 million. The Giants and Love didn’t bridge their gap after the season, so the team moved on as the 25-year-old tested the market.
Love visited the Seahawks last week after the initial wave of free agency and received the two-year, $12 million offer Friday. That’s slightly less per year than the Giant’s in-season offer, according to a league source. Love presented Seattle’s offer to the Giants and the team didn’t match it, according to a league source. By that point, the Giants had already re-signed Slayton to a two-year, $12 million deal.
Free agency is a fluid process and timing is paramount. The Giants and Love were interested in an extension, but when the sides weren’t close on a price in negotiations, the team moved forward to address other needs, while Love pursued the best available offer.

Next man up

Business aside, Love’s departure leaves a void on the field. The 2019 fourth-round pick graduated from super-sub to full-time starter last season. He played a team-high 95 percent of the defensive snaps (excluding the regular season finale when all starters rested). He also played 47 percent of the special teams snaps, fourth most on the team.
Simply replacing Love’s 1,226 snaps will be a tall task. And Love was productive, ranking fourth in the league among safeties with 124 tackles. He added six tackles for a loss, two interceptions, a sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.
Love’s versatility paired well with defensive coordinator Wink Martindale scheme. And Love took over as the defensive signal-caller midway through the season after fellow safety Xavier McKinney missed seven games with broken fingers.
The Giants could add a cheap veteran and/or draft a safety to offset Love’s departure, but the two top replacement options are Jason Pinnock and Dane Belton. The Giants were encouraged by the play of the athletic Pinnock during McKinney’s absence, while there’s optimism about Belton, a 2022 fourth-round pick who dealt with the aftereffects of a broken clavicle throughout his rookie season. The Giants need one of those players to seize the opportunity the same way Love did last year.

Tackle talk

The Giants got a sense of how much an extension for left tackle Andrew Thomas will cost after Texans left tackle Laremy Tunsil secured a three-year, $75 million extension. Tunsil, who is in the conversation for best left tackle in the league, turns 29 in August. Thomas, who is on the verge of entering that conversation, turned 24 in January.
Translation: A Thomas extension will start at $25 million per year.
The Giants are interested in extending Thomas early, but they don’t need to rush. He has a $10.3 million cap hit for 2023 in the fourth year of his rookie contract, and he’s projected to have a $14.2 million cap hit in 2024 after the Giants exercise his fifth-year option.
Thomas can also exercise patience. He knows his payday is coming as long he remains healthy, and the price will only go up as the salary cap rises.
Based on how much money the Giants have shelled out this offseason, plus an extension for defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence still to come, it seems likely Thomas’ mega-deal will wait until next year.

part 2
O-line issues
If there’s a second-guess with the Giants’ approach to free agency thus far, it’s the lack of investment in the offensive line. The Giants have lost Jon Feliciano, who started 15 games at center last season, and Nick Gates, who started eight games at left guard last season, and haven’t made any additions.
If the Giants hadn’t spent at wide receiver on Slayton and Parris Campbell, they could have afforded the three-year contract reportedly worth $24 million that guard Isaac Seumalo signed with the Steelers. The 29-year-old Seumalo, who missed time with injuries during the 2020-21 seasons, was healthy and productive for the Eagles in 2022. Seumalo is a quality all-around blocker and could have stepped in seamlessly at left guard to upgrade the Giants’ offensive line.
Though they still could sign a veteran, it seems the Giants plan to roll with their young options (while possibly adding more in the draft) at left guard. Josh Ezeudu, a third-round pick a year ago, is the leading candidate to start.
It’s reasonable to expect a top-70 pick to develop into a capable starter in Year 2. But Ezeudu’s rookie season was uneven before coming to a premature end due to a neck injury.
There are some parallels to the 2021 offseason, when the Giants didn’t make any notable offensive line additions because they had drafted Thomas, tackle Matt Peart and guard Shane Lemieux the previous year.
Former GM Dave Gettleman famously said that offseason, “It’s really apparent that we have more confidence in our offensive line than you guys do.”
That faith didn’t pan out aside from Thomas. Lemieux won the starting left guard job, but was lost for the season in Week 1 with a knee injury. Peart was never able to win over the coaching staff and spent most of the season as the swing tackle.
Schoen drafted right tackle Evan Neal (with the seventh pick) and Ezeudu last year, so those players need to play. The Giants just need to hope their reliance on young offensive linemen doesn’t bite them again.

A secondary market

The Giants have been quiet at cornerback. Like offensive line, they have some young in-house options at corner — Cor’Dale Flott, Nick McCloud, Darnay Holmes, Aaron Robinson, Zyon Gilbert — but there’s little proven talent aside from veteran Adoree’ Jackson.
The Giants certainly could be planning to address the position in the draft. But considering the importance of the position in Martindale’s defense, it would be surprising if they don’t add some stability with a veteran, as they did with Fabian Moreau last season.
There are still veterans available who figure to come at a discount. Aside from Moreau, Marcus Peters, who spent three years with Martindale in Baltimore, and Rock Ya-Sin stand out as potential targets.

Contract details

The four-year, $40 million contract linebacker Bobby Okereke signed with the Giants last week includes $21.8 million fully guaranteed. The Giants backloaded the contract, with a $5 million cap hit in 2023 that jumps to $11 million in 2024, $12 million in 2025 and $12 million in 2026.

https://theathletic.com/4317492/2023/03/16/bobby-okereke-giants-colts-nfl-free-agency/
It’s a “real” $10 million per year deal, with Okereke due $22 million over the first two years and $31 million over the first three years. There are $3 million roster bonuses on the fifth day of the league years in 2025 and 2026. So if the Giants want to move on after the 2024 season, they can cut Okereke for $6 million in cap savings with $6 million in dead money.

Sliding doors

If the Giants hadn’t acquired tight end Darren Waller in a trade for a third-round pick, they may have pursued a pass-catching tight end in free agency. Mike Gesicki was at the top of that list.
The Patriots signed Gesicki to a one-year, $4.5 million contract with another $4.5 million available in incentives. That is far cheaper than was expected for a 27-year-old who had 73 catches for 780 yards and two touchdowns in 2021.
Gesicki is one of many examples of restrained spending by teams, even with the salary cap spiking. It’s hard to know if teams are growing wary of overspending in free agency or if the thriftiness is simply a reflection of a weak crop of players this year, but it’s a notable departure from past spending sprees.
“This is really a pretty weird free agency year,” Slayton said. “Teams really weren’t just throwing around money kind of like in other years.”

Signing off

Waller received a strong endorsement from a veteran safety.
“He’s the hardest tight end in the league to cover when he’s fully healthy,” the safety said.
Why is that?
“He’s fast and strong as ****,” the player said.
Simple enough.

1st Rd (pick 25)
WR - If Jaxon Smith-Njigba or Quentin Johnston are available (they won't be) I'd take them here (not touching any of the small slot WR's)

2nd Rd
C - Absolutely have to land a day 1 starting Center in the 1st 2 rds. I would even take 2 if one is capable of playing Guard i.e Avila .
CB - Best Available
I think, in my educated guess. O'cyrus torrence. do like Banks a lot though.

1st Rd (pick 25)

2nd Rd
CB - Best Available
I think, in my educated guess. O'cyrus torrence. do like Banks a lot though.
I wouldnt hate that ... but the plan is for Uzeudu to take over LG and the Giants dont have a single C on the roster right now. In that scenario Bredeson would likely play Center ... Uzeudu would become a swing G.

Last edited:
These signings are great but come with question marks and it will be all for naught if the receivers don't have time to get open and Jones is running for his life.
Almost all of the Giants targets are health risks ... the only Targets who have been healthy are Slayton, Hodgins, and Bellinger (Shepard, Robinson, Waller, and Campbell all have recent injury history)

People seem to forget how bad our O- line is every year and start focusing on WRs. Giants Oline was ranked in the bottom 5 last year and we have since lost 2 starters who were also the only experienced Centers on the team.

Right now the Oline would be as follows and would have almost no depth at all

LT - Thomas
LG - Uzeudu (Assuming he is Healthy and assuming he is ready - He was neither of those last season)
C - Bredeson (Who I do not think has ever played Center in a game and has missed time every season with Injuries)
RG - Glowinski (who was adequate)
RT - Evan Neal ( Who was one of f not the worst RTs in the NFL)

No depth ... an injury to Thomas would be catastrophic.
We don't need another G playing Center ... We need a real Center with years of experience and reps at Center

Very interesting strategy the Giants have had at WR this offseason. Basically, bringing in every injured slot WR they can find, to go with Wan'Dale coming off an ACL and Shepard coming off an Achilles. I get bargain shopping, but it sure seems like they are looking for a type.

Right now, I'd assume the pass catching pecking order is probably:
1. Waller (2020 like target share if he stays healthy)
2. Campbell (hopefully as a vertical slot WR, more like a Tyler Lockett, than a YAC slot like Indy used him)
3. Barkley (ideally, he'd get back to being an 80-catch guy, but that seems unlikely)

I'm thinking Slayton/Hodgins end up canceling each other out a bit on the outside.

I'm not sure I wouldn't have rather just held onto Richie James, who showed some life late last year, over bringing in Crowder or bringing back Shepard.

I don't understand why Giants are throwing money at every slot WR3/4 on the market. It feels like the Giants aren't going to draft a WR in the first 3-4 rounds at this point.

I will say this; all of the guys are the type of WR Daniel Jones would have a connection with. These guys are separators/smart route runners and not contested-catch/jumpball guys you'd have to pigeonhole in an unfamiliar role either [looking at you Quentin Johnson (pre-Combine)/Kenny Golladay]. And that's probably the most important thing.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Giants are throwing money at every slot WR3/4 on the market. It feels like the Giants aren't going to draft a WR in the first 3-4 rounds at this point.

I will say this; all of the guys are the type of WR Daniel Jones would have a connection with. These guys are separators/smart route runners and not contested-catch/jumpball guys you'd have to pigeonhole in an unfamiliar role either [looking at you Quentin Johnson (pre-Combine)/Kenny Golladay]. And that's probably the most important thing.

LOL !
How do you know separators/smart route runners are the type of WRs that Dniel Jones would have a connection with??
Have the Giants and Jones ever had separators/smart route runners???

Giants pass-catchers ranked second-to-last in separation in 2021​

Separation is not the metric of success for Kenny Golladay ... Tied for Last​

Slayton led the Giants in receiving in 2022 his 2.3 yards of separation was seventh-worst in the NFL

LOL !
How do you know separators/smart route runners are the type of WRs that Dniel Jones would have a connection with??
Have the Giants and Jones ever had separators/smart route runners???

Giants pass-catchers ranked second-to-last in separation in 2021​

Separation is not the metric of success for Kenny Golladay ... Tied for Last​

Slayton led the Giants in receiving in 2022 his 2.3 yards of separation was seventh-worst in the NFL
I recall reading earlier in this offseason that Joe Schoen said that size isn’t as important to their offense as separation is for WR’s.

Users who are viewing this thread