What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Dallas Cowboys — On to the offseason. Let’s Go Bucs! (1 Viewer)

So is the plan for the offseason *really* going to be something like
Franchise tag a Running back that is coming off a pretty bad ankle break and then double down and extend the QB that led the league in interceptions, in 5 less games than Davis Mills.
Cowboys have a unique philosophy with paying running backs, but with the draft supposed to be sorta deep at the position, would you want them to let both backs walk and go cheap at RB?
Step 1 is complete!
What would you have done differently ?

Franchise tag a Running back that is coming off a pretty bad ankle break and then double down and extend the QB that led the league in interceptions, in 5 less games than Davis Mills.
Cowboys have a unique philosophy with paying running backs, but with the draft supposed to be sorta deep at the position, would you want them to let both backs walk and go cheap at RB?
Step 1 is complete!
Franchising Pollard is smart. The one year cost of about 10 million is not prohibitive and Pollard is a difference making player. Zeke is strictly a complimentary player at this point, and, if he's back, it will be for a fraction of the value of his current contract. Additionally, the team can take another RB with a mid-round pick. The reality is they can build a really good RB room without expending excess capital.

My only caveat would be if Bijan Robinson makes it to #26, because if he does, you have to take him. Getting a top 4 prospect, regardless of position, at 26 is grand theft.

I remember a few years back when Lamb was expected to go top 10 and he fell to the Cowboys. You just take the best player and it almost always works out.

Step 1 is complete!
Franchising Pollard is smart. The one year cost of about 10 million is not prohibitive and Pollard is a difference making player. Zeke is strictly a complimentary player at this point, and, if he's back, it will be for a fraction of the value of his current contract. Additionally, the team can take another RB with a mid-round pick. The reality is they can build a really good RB room without expending excess capital.

My only caveat would be if Bijan Robinson makes it to #26, because if he does, you have to take him. Getting a top 4 prospect, regardless of position, at 26 is grand theft.

I remember a few years back when Lamb was expected to go top 10 and he fell to the Cowboys. You just take the best player and it almost always works out.
I would say, if you are franchising a RB, he better be "The man" but from all accounts I have read, Pollard is a guy that *needs* another guy to help him carry the load. Jacobs and Saquon probably don't need to be spelled nearly as much as Pollard. Add in the fact he is coming off injury, but this is how Dallas operates so I get it. I would guess Dallas will certainly look to add a running back via the draft, but if Zeke IS back, he probably won't get a ton of playing time.

Regards to Bijan, if he is there close to 26 and the Birds still have pick 30, I don't see a way Howie allows that to happen, knowing our team has a need at the spot as well, he almost certainly (IMO of course) would try to leapfrog Dallas like they did with Dallas Goedert when both teams *knew* they needed a new tight end.

Lamb is a a really good WR, can't deny that you guys generally draft really well. Managing the salary cap. maybe not so much.

Step 1 is complete!

I would say, if you are franchising a RB, he better be "The man" but from all accounts I have read, Pollard is a guy that *needs* another guy to help him carry the load. Jacobs and Saquon probably don't need to be spelled nearly as much as Pollard. Add in the fact he is coming off injury, but this is how Dallas operates so I get it. I would guess Dallas will certainly look to add a running back via the draft, but if Zeke IS back, he probably won't get a ton of playing time.

Regards to Bijan, if he is there close to 26 and the Birds still have pick 30, I don't see a way Howie allows that to happen, knowing our team has a need at the spot as well, he almost certainly (IMO of course) would try to leapfrog Dallas like they did with Dallas Goedert when both teams *knew* they needed a new tight end.

Lamb is a a really good WR, can't deny that you guys generally draft really well. Managing the salary cap. maybe not so much.
So, what would you have done differently ?

Step 1 is complete!

So, what would you have done differently ?
I'd definitely cut Zeke. Gotta move on from emotions and just look how he performed as a runner the last 8 weeks or so. I think his YPC was 2.6 or something. I get a lot of Cowboys fans tell me about Zeke's prowess as a pass protector, which is fine. But he is spent time to move on.

Pollard - he has to be viewing how you guys just used Schultz, kept him from getting his market value for a year and are moving on. He probably wants to get paid sooner or later. If its a placeholder to just keep him one year, why pay $10m this year b/c you are too afraid of the unknown. Given how deep the FA market is, I wouldn't be scared to let him test the waters in a year like this, knowing you probably can get him at a good deal/value. If not, there are other options available in FA alone, not to mention the depth of the running back draft class.

From the outside, it does appear Dallas is "scared" to go into FA/Draft without every single position kind of penciled in. They had a plan for WR last year, just obviously didn't work out. But then when that was obvious, I heard a lot of chatter about them signing/trading for a WR, just never happened.

So cut Zeke, let Pollard test the waters in a deep FA class coming of a broken ankle - you "should" be able to get a fair deal out of Pollard. But like I said if the plan all along is to just rent him for one year and then let whoever take over next year when the team I guess is more familiar with him, I guess I understand, just seems like a poor allocation of resources, bc you guys don't have a ton of cap room as is and the usual kick the can down the road extensions are forthcoming.

Compare that to what Philly is doing - I don't think Gainwell is as good as Pollard, and certainly not Boston Scott or Trey Sermon either. But we are just not going to go crazy with the money and are more confident in whatever plan they have to fill the Miles Sanders role - who had a much better season last year than either Cowboys running back so you could argue its a bigger hole to fill.

Different ways to skin a cat and all.

But we are just not going to go crazy with the money and are more confident in whatever plan they have to fill the Miles Sanders role - who had a much better season last year than either Cowboys running back so you could argue its a bigger hole to fill.
Better :confused:
MUCH better :thumbdown:

Sanders: 259/1,269. 4.9 YPC
Pollard: 193/1,007. 5.2 YPC

Sanders: 12 20+ yard runs
Pollard: 18 20+ yard runs

Sanders: 11TD
Pollard: 9 TD

Sanders: 20 rec/78 yards/0TD 3.9 yards/rec
Pollard: 39 rec/371 yards/3TD 9.5 yards/rec

Tha

But we are just not going to go crazy with the money and are more confident in whatever plan they have to fill the Miles Sanders role - who had a much better season last year than either Cowboys running back so you could argue its a bigger hole to fill.

259, 1269, 11 seem to be the more important numbers, but Pollard had a very nice season. Why he is gonna take a good chunk of that salary cap this year! Do you think he'll ever carry the ball 250+ times? If not, why?

Tha

259, 1269, 11 seem to be the more important numbers, but Pollard had a very nice season. Why he is gonna take a good chunk of that salary cap this year! Do you think he'll ever carry the ball 250+ times? If not, why?

So carries, yards and TD's are what count. Sanders got him in carries. But Pollard logged 1,378 yards and 12 TD's to Sanders 1, 347 yards and 11 TD's. On 47 less touches. Unless only ground yards and rushing TD's count?

I do think he could carry it 250 times a year. That would be an average of less than 15 carries a game. He averaged 12 a game this year. So could he get another 2-3 carries a game? Absolutely. Although I'm not quite understanding the importance of carrying it over 250 times a year. Will the Cowboys run him 250+ times a year? Probably not. It sounds like they are interested in finding (or keeping) a compliment to him. But I would expect that number to be closer to 250 than the 193 it was this year.

Tha

So carries, yards and TD's are what count. Sanders got him in carries. But Pollard logged 1,378 yards and 12 TD's to Sanders 1, 347 yards and 11 TD's. On 47 less touches. Unless only ground yards and rushing TD's count?

I do think he could carry it 250 times a year. That would be an average of less than 15 carries a game. He averaged 12 a game this year. So could he get another 2-3 carries a game? Absolutely. Although I'm not quite understanding the importance of carrying it over 250 times a year. Will the Cowboys run him 250+ times a year? Probably not. It sounds like they are interested in finding (or keeping) a compliment to him. But I would expect that number to be closer to 250 than the 193 it was this year.

Fair enough, I concede your point. Pollard = Sanders. And we are losing Sanders. My point is Pollard, by his own organization's words, is a guy that needs a complement back/can't carry the load all by himself/grind out a game when its needed. YPC doesn't mean much if we are this close to 5.0 IMO, but sure Pollard had a better YPC. And Sanders is gone, so that is fine, he wasn't a guy the Eagles fully trusted to carry the load, and this year was obviously his best year (much like Pollard). We are letting our guy walk while you guys are paying a RB (once again) north of $10M in salary. And lastly, the other 2 guys getting franchised are "for sure" grind it out, give them carries all day type of running backs. Sanders nor Pollard are that type of guy.

So...I was like..."The 2023 Cowboys thread is at 13 pages already? did something change?"

Nope, the 2022 thread got re-labeled.

So...I was like..."The 2023 Cowboys thread is at 13 pages already? did something change?"

Nope, the 2022 thread got re-labeled.

:lmao: Just incredible. Best part is you guys dont see it or cant help yourselves.
Not sure what you mean. I rarely post in this thread and certainly wasn't trying to denigrate the guys who ARE posting and following here. Cowboys fans as a whole are just different. I see more Cowboys fans then fans of any other team, but most of them (IRL I mean, not here) know so little about football. Half of them aren't even aware who's trending to make the playoffs and who isn't. FAR higher percentage of casual fans who don't know the game well. And that carries over to what we see here. There are FAR more people out there claiming to be Cowboys fans then Eagles fans, yet you would never know that looking at a place like this where most posters are reasonably knowledgeable.

I find that interesting, but hardly knocking you guys that ARE here. You make the world a better place and give us someone to argue with ;)

Any projections on what sort of inevitable Dak extension is going to look like? Guessing a little 3 year/140-150M range with $80M guaranteed.

Pollard = Sanders
Ah, I see…..you’re joking …

It’s that type of stuff that prevents me from even engaging. If he believed it because it’s true we could discuss that but he’s only saying that because he just can’t fathom the idea that a Cowboys player could possibly better than one on his team.

This is coming from a guy who likes Miles Sanders more than most and who isn’t really high on Pollard.

I'd say Sanders might have had a SLIGHTLY better season than Pollard, but Pollard is the more talented back at THIS point in their careers. Miles isn't going to get paid near what Pollard did.

I've always been a big fan of Pollard's, and people are all saying "he needs to be a complimentary back, he can't handle the whole load"... have we ever really seen him get a chance to do that? He had some monster games with Zeke out... I think he can handle more touches than people are giving him credit for.

@Cowboysfan8 Where are you on Pollard and going forward?

I want to draft OL, trade for OL, Sign a WR. We already spoke on our FAs.
I don’t think they had a choice but to tag Pollard. Some posters think it’s funny I guess but what were they supposed to do, let him walk? And do what , draft a a RB in the first rd? No thanks.
This team had 2 playmakers on offense last year. Him and Lamb.
I hope (doubt) they work out a deal for 3 years at an affordable amount and he comes back as healthy as before the injury. He seems like a good guy, you never hear or read anything about him off the field. He’s been patient and done exactly what the team has asked of him. And he’s freaking electric with the ball in his hands.

I’m with you on OL, but I hope they take BPA in the 1st rd honestly. I trust McClay, he’s one of the best there is.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they draft a TE in the 2nd or 3rd if they love him.

I don’t see how they don’t trade for a WR. I don’t see them signing any of the FAs that are out there.

Let’s give our 2 for Hopkins :oldunsure:

Negotiations with FAs starts tomorrow, nothing official until wednesday.

Cowboys fans , check back in a week or so , that’s when the Jones boys will get on it ☹️

Unless they decide to overpay for OBJ

Pollard = Sanders
Ah, I see…..you’re joking …

It’s that type of stuff that prevents me from even engaging. If he believed it because it’s true we could discuss that but he’s only saying that because he just can’t fathom the idea that a Cowboys player could possibly better than one on his team.

This is coming from a guy who likes Miles Sanders more than most and who isn’t really high on Pollard.
All good! I gave my reasons on why he had a better year last year in my personal opinion. You disagree. We are talking RB7 vs RB13 in fantasy, so its not something that is a no brainer, but to each their own. And I was talking more for as an NFL back than fantasy back. No worries. Moving forward I DO believe Pollard is the better back, but as I mentioned, I do not think either are a guy you can rely on to "carry the load" which is why I think paying $10M to a guy that maybe can't do that is a risk. I get its a risk the Cowboys are willing to take (not counting into the risk of tagging a player when I would guess 100% of players would *not* like to be tagged, but a different conversation).

Side note - considering what the Dolphins only gave up to get Ramsey, are you guys disappointed or just kind of what you expected a little more smoke than fire when it comes to big name player acquisitions in March?

Side note - considering what the Dolphins only gave up to get Ramsey, are you guys disappointed or just kind of what you expected a little more smoke than fire when it comes to big name player acquisitions in March?
They didn’t give up much, but they have to pay him

Dallas doesn’t sign guys in the first week of FA anymore. I have a few “wants” but I’m expecting nothing

Dallas doesn’t sign guys in the first week of FA anymore. I have a few “wants” but I’m expecting nothing
I really still think you guys make some sort of minor/major move via trade. Just got a feeling Jerry has an internal clock he is racing and knows now/never time is here.

I really still think you guys make some sort of minor/major move via trade. Just got a feeling Jerry has an internal clock he is racing and knows now/never time is here.
Heard lots of talk about Hopkins, Diggs and Evans.

I would hate Hopkins - and the other 2 rumours are highly unlikely.

Heard lots of talk about Hopkins, Diggs and Evans.

I would hate Hopkins - and the other 2 rumours are highly unlikely.
Stefon Diggs? As in $45m dead cap if he is traded? Yeah dont see that either

We will do Jack squat in free agency yet again. Why would any player even want to play in Dallas anymore?

I dunno. If I’m an NFL player I’m only playing in states with no income tax.
Raiders, Titans, Jaguars, Bucs, Dolphins, Seahawks are your choices in this scenario are your only options. And you only get that break for the home games, the road games are subject to that state's income tax rate.

We will do Jack squat in free agency yet again. Why would any player even want to play in Dallas anymore?

I dunno. If I’m an NFL player I’m only playing in states with no income tax.
Raiders, Titans, Jaguars, Bucs, Dolphins, Seahawks are your choices in this scenario are your only options. And you only get that break for the home games, the road games are subject to that state's income tax rate.
So Titans or Jags would be the best I guess

BREAKING: The #DallasCowboys have agreed to terms with nobody for zero-years, $0 deal, including $0 guaranteed. Cowboys get much-needed help.

stolen from the innerweb

Credit where credit is due.

I bash the Jones’ when I feel they have it coming. I’ll give credit for what was imo a really good day today

LVE and (more importantly to me) Wilson back on affordable deals and Gilmore for next to nothing ?

A good day 😃

Im here just swamped - Kids college stuff, got 50 cu. Yard of dirt delivered to level out part of the backyard and work.

You know I’m excited about Wilson. I think he’s our best defender not named Parsons or Lawrence.

Gilmore and Diggs on the outside is going to be a problem. This will allow us to blitz the teams playing RB at QB. That’s how you stop that Red Grange era offense. Blitz the guy with the ball and cover the screens and other than loft up prayers they’re not equipped to beat the blitz.

I hope the playing time for N.Wright and the other guys paid off but I’d love to bring Brown back for insurance.

We still need a garbage can of dirt at DT. Can we bring in a scout from outside the organization to pick one? So weird how we can find OL and LB all day but can’t draft a good DT even though we keep trying.

I’m happy with the TE situation. I know you said 2nd round but I think that’s too early to draft a guy who won’t start ahead of the two kids we have now. I really think those two are going to be special for us. They have so much youthful exuberance - they’re dying for more playing time and I can’t wait to see it.

I just want them to spend every draft pick on OL and defense, maybe a RB or TE later.

Trade or sign a WR.

I want a good offense that can control the clock and manhandle defenses. I don’t want a fast paced passing offense.

This isn’t hard people. Draft ginormous hogmollies on the line and wear down these light in the *** defenses.

The more they try and change the game the more it stays the same.

Cowboys made some pretty good moves yesterday. Gilmore was still very solid last year in coverage. Re-signed the right guys too in LVE and D Wilson. Gotta give props when you guys do some right things. Should be some good matchups this year, lets see how the rest of FA plays out, but a very good day for you guys yesterday you should be happy.

I saw that Byron Jones is/will be available. My initial thought was maybe he would be a good p/u for depth but I changed my mind. I want ball hawks.

Users who are viewing this thread