What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Dallas Cowboys — On to the offseason. Let’s Go Bucs! (3 Viewers)

I’ve never seen so many wide open receivers in one game.
Cleveland from yesterday says hello.

“Prescott currently sits to carry a $59.455 million salary-cap hit in 2024 -- the final year of a four-year, $160 million contract signed in 2021.“

So they’re on the hook with Dak for one more year?
Yes. One more year.
He has a no trade, but Dallas should attempt to move him. Even if they can’t, and they keep him for one more year, they need to draft a QB and, baring a 8-0 or 7-1 start, play Trey Lance and find out if he has any chance of leading a team to the Super Bowl.

Now, I know they won’t do that, but they should. Dak is a known commodity; a good player that will never be great. Mistake prone and erratic in the playoffs. 2-5 in the playoffs is not a small sample size. Yes, it’s certainly not all his fault, but his play is demonstrably not good and there is no evidence of any growth during the last three years.

“Prescott currently sits to carry a $59.455 million salary-cap hit in 2024 -- the final year of a four-year, $160 million contract signed in 2021.“

Usually you would restructure the last year of a deal to smooth the transition to a new deal. They surely won't now. Maybe.

He's likely the QB next year short of a hold out.

Wouldn't be shocked to see w trade up for a QB.

OK, now that I sobered up a little...

I stand by my drunken tirade re: Dak. However, the defense was absolute garbage. They allowed 5.3 ypc, not one sack, not one interception, and more than once a WR so wide open it appeared the defense wasn't even on the field.

Green Bay has more playoff wins in Arlington than the Cowboys.

The Texans have more playoff wins than the Cowboys since they were born.

Cowboys have the most wins over a three year period to not make a conference championship game. (*Here due to expanding schedules but whatever)

Ok, let’s assume most (all?) of us want MM fired.

Who replaces him? Who do you WANT? Who do you think is chosen? And equally as important, who are the coordinators?

Retread or fresh blood?
Belichick? Ben Johnson?

The problem with a loss like that is - who was at fault, what is missing and how do you fix it?

QB
Whole Defense
Coaching

Total mess

We can’t fire the owner.

Last edited:
McCarthy and Dak have to go.
Please, just let Dak walk in FA. He’s a known commodity- the 7 or 8 year body of work could not be more clear- 2 and 5 in the playoffs, terrible decisions, bad picks. It’s just time to reset. There is no upside here. The last 3 seasons have been rinse and repeat, other than beating a lousy Tampa team last year.

I like him as a person. He’s a standup guy and has high character. He gives back. All those things are great, but he’s not the guy.
LOL Dak has a $62M dead cap number next year, coming off his first All Pro season. Fortunately, he will be back.

I knew Mike McCarthy was a fraud coach that was propped up by one of the greatest QB's of all time and just further propped up by a good DC in Dallas.

Time to bring in Big Bill B

OK, now that I sobered up a little...

I stand by my drunken tirade re: Dak. However, the defense was absolute garbage. They allowed 5.3 ypc, not one sack, not one interception, and more than once a WR so wide open it appeared the defense wasn't even on the field.

The switch to zone without a serviceable MLB was beyond bizarre. They started toying with this late in the season but well after Diggs Goodwin and LVE were on IR.

This left funky situations like All Pro HOF DL dropping into coverage on 3rd and 9.

Would fire the DC simply for that reason.

Please, just let Dak walk in FA. He’s a known commodity- the 7 or 8 year body of work could not be more clear- 2 and 5 in the playoffs, terrible decisions, bad picks. It’s just time to reset. There is no upside here. The last 3 seasons have been rinse and repeat, other than beating a lousy Tampa team last year.

I like him as a person. He’s a standup guy and has high character. He gives back. All those things are great, but he’s not the guy.
LOL Dak has a $62M dead cap number next year, coming off his first All Pro season. Fortunately, he will be back.
Dead cap room can be worked around, but not easily and nobody will want to bail Dallas out here.

Dead cap room can be worked around, but not easily and nobody will want to bail Dallas out here.
Yeah I dunno what the plan would be then. Certainly moving Dak at this point and taking those cap hits would be part of a more grand "cleaning house" type of move. And if there is one thing I know about Jerry Jones, he never wants his Cowboys "not talked about" as far as contending to try to win a Super Bowl, as silly as it may sound. Not a chance IMO he sit back on a multi-year rebuild project. Not after he finally caved and let the guy responsible for his 3 Super Bowls finally into the ring of honor. He wants one he can call his own.

Jerry loves him some Dak. We are stuck with him
I think every owner in the league would run it back with Dak, if in the same situation. Because of his contract, the best hope is you get a new contract with Dak done, and get a coach (OC or HC) that can get the best out of him.

Dak is in a position of power that you rarely see in the NFL. If the Cowboys want cap space to do anything in the spring, they need his contract to get done.

The problem with a loss like that is - who was at fault, what is missing and how do you fix it?

QB
Whole Defense
Coaching

Total mess

We can’t fire the owner.
The one constant through the past 30 years of futility is Jerry Jones. This is a problem of culture. Until he and any of his descendants relinquish GM duties, nothing is going to change. Belichick might be the one guy that Jerry would grant GM responsibilities, but in all honesty Belichick's GM performance hasn't exactly been great for years.

The league is QB starved. You could be right but, nonetheless, it’s time to find out.

QB
Whole Defense
Coaching

Total mess

We can’t fire the owner.
The one constant through the past 30 years of futility is Jerry Jones. This is a problem of culture. Until he and any of his descendants relinquish GM duties, nothing is going to change. Belichick might be the one guy that Jerry would grant GM responsibilities, but in all honesty Belichick's GM performance hasn't exactly been great for years.
IMO his son has done a lot better job with personnel decisions than Jerry had done post-Jimmy Johnson.

QB
Whole Defense
Coaching

Total mess

We can’t fire the owner.

Culture maybe but they have plenty of talent drafted

Yes. One more year.
He has a no trade, but Dallas should attempt to move him. Even if they can’t, and they keep him for one more year, they need to draft a QB and, baring a 8-0 or 7-1 start, play Trey Lance and find out if he has any chance of leading a team to the Super Bowl.

Now, I know they won’t do that, but they should. Dak is a known commodity; a good player that will never be great. Mistake prone and erratic in the playoffs. 2-5 in the playoffs is not a small sample size. Yes, it’s certainly not all his fault, but his play is demonstrably not good and there is no evidence of any growth during the last three years.

It is time to move on from Dak. Dak has been given more than enough time to prove himself, he has peaked out and has proven he can`t get this team over the hump. Dallas should not extend him, let him play out the last season on the deal and roll the dice.

Great guy, good regular season QB, great garbage time QB. Right from the start yesterday Dak did not seem locked in, then 2 huge INTs changed the game in an instant.

QB
Whole Defense
Coaching

Total mess

We can’t fire the owner.

The 23 draft is looking pretty bad

Cowboys have the most wins over a three year period to not make a conference championship game. (*Here due to expanding schedules but whatever)
The Jets have more playoff wins than the Cowboys going back to 2000, and they haven’t made the playoffs since 2010.

The Jets have more playoff wins than the Cowboys going back to 2000, and they haven’t made the playoffs since 2010.

Yes, we know.
Yes, we know about GB too.
Yes, we heard all the Mexican words of the day.
We’ve seen the circle doom cycle ending in playoff losses meme as well.

We’re good here…thanks.

Yes. One more year.

It is time to move on from Dak. Dak has been given more than enough time to prove himself, he has peaked out and has proven he can`t get this team over the hump. Dallas should not extend him, let him play out the last season on the deal and roll the dice.

Great guy, good regular season QB, great garbage time QB. Right from the start yesterday Dak did not seem locked in, then 2 huge INTs changed the game in an instant.

Financially, not really an option without sacrificing next year. I believe Dak has us over a barrel.

QB
Whole Defense
Coaching

Total mess

We can’t fire the owner.

The 23 draft is looking pretty bad

That’s true and not a year to flop with how many rookies were good this year league wide

QB
Whole Defense
Coaching

Total mess

We can’t fire the owner.
IMO his son has done a lot better job with personnel decisions than Jerry had done post-Jimmy Johnson.
Will McClay is the defacto GM of the team, he just does not have final say on all matters but depending on what team we are talking about that's not unusual. He could have that actual title with another team if he wanted but loyalty, money and mainly having those responsibilites anyway is why he remains.

Jerry is not giving up personnel control of HIS team to BB or anyone and he hated the amount of control he had to give Parcells. He's not doing it again. If he hires BB he'll make that understood. He'll work in collabaration with him or any coach, like he works with McClay, but in the end he's the Sinatra of owners, he's going to do it his way.

I'm not a Cowboys fan but I sure would not mind an owner like him who is willing to spend whatever it takes on coaching staff, resources and talent.

Yes, we know.
Yes, we know about GB too.
Yes, we heard all the Mexican words of the day.
We’ve seen the circle doom cycle ending in playoff losses meme as well.

We’re good here…thanks.

Don’t forget the clever and original VHS tapes joke. That’s always a knee slapper.

I am going to do a full roster analysis. With contracts factored.

Might take me a bit.

If they have the talent to win 12 games they need the right coach to get them over the hump.

It’s not the players, it’s coaching.

Eh. These were the 8 worst teams in the NFL this season (ordered by record):

Carolina
Washington
Arizona
New England
LA Chargers
NY Giants
Tennessee
NY Jets

8 of the Cowboys 12 wins came against teams in this list. Most teams in the NFL have the talent to win a bunch of games against their worst competition. They fared much worse against the good teams they faced this season - some of that is coaching but you do have to take a hard look at the roster. Dak is clearly never going to get it done, I think the sooner Dallas is able to move on the better.

I am going to do a full roster analysis. With contracts factored.

Might take me a bit.

If they have the talent to win 12 games they need the right coach to get them over the hump.

It’s not the players, it’s coaching.

Maybe so, but there are a ton of players to look at.

Dak
Smith
Gallup
Diggs
Gilmore
Bland
Parsons
CeeDee
I'd be curious to get another opinion on Zack Martin, because despite his 1st team all-pro nod, I kinda thought he was mediocre at best this season. Like so many run plays were him getting blown up and Pollard and co. having to make a DT miss in the backfield.

I know he was banged up a lot this year, but he's the 3rd highest paid interior OL in the NFL behind Chris Lindstrom and Quentin Nelson (also overrated) and I wonder if that wouldn't be the worst place to save some money, or if it was injuries derailing him?

Odds are he'll give it another day or two but was just thinking of how on point it would be for Jerry to announce he's making a coaching change during the Eagles game and try and steal some thunder.

Yes. One more year.

Financially, not really an option without sacrificing next year. I believe Dak has us over a barrel.
Don't worry, Dallas fans will be loving him again next year when he's back to beating up bad teams and they're them boyz again.

Yes. One more year.

Don't worry, Dallas fans will be loving him again next year when he's back to beating up bad teams and they're them boyz again.
I’d like to say you are wrong but the Gold Jacket Dak crew is everywhere.

Yes. One more year.

Perhaps. At least explore it. Otherwise, play out 2024, lose in the first round of the playoffs again, and reset in 25.

I'm not a Cowboys fan but I sure would not mind an owner like him who is willing to spend whatever it takes on coaching staff, resources and talent.

Agreed.
Limitless financial commitment is easily offset by poor deployment of resources.

Of course they've missed on some of the things they've done. But I think most all fans would love to have an owner that is obsessed over winning and puts their money where their mouth is.

Users who are viewing this thread