What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New Music Thread (1 Viewer)

Ladytron - Time's Arrow has been the only thing that's grabbed my attention this year. The album sounds decidedly like a Ladytron album which doesn't always happen as these bands age. It's good, not great.

Pretty excited that two of my favorite current bands are playing a single show together - The National and The Beths. Not a natural pairing so seems like it was customized for me. 2 general admission tix for August!

The National's only Northern California date is at the Bottlerock festival.

Radius clauses are another thing that sucks about the current concert business.

Others...
the Men
Murder capital
Dean Blunt
Jose James

And looks like EZ Star all stars are doing Bowie... Starman is out and pretty great.

Love ****ed Up’s new one. Probably their best since DC2L. Really liked the Tubs and the new White Reaper is decent too.

Seems like its been a relatively slow start to 2023 (perhaps Yard Act coming out of the gates strong in 2022 is coloring my perception), but this week's Release Radar was more than solid. Death Cab, The Go! Team, GRMLN (LOL, he's in my Release Radar every week), The Tallest Man on Earth, YACHT, The Wombats and White Reaper.

There was also one from an act I'd not heard before (and frankly puzzled as to why they were on RR): Heartworms - Retributions Of An Awful Life.

Heartworms, the brainchild of musician and poet Jojo Orme, is a cauldron of perplexity. Orme’s gothic take on avant-garde post-punk is beguiling; sardonic prose is delivered in a deceptively innocent manner, while irresistibly off-kilter grooves clash with a cacophony of reverb-drenched guitars.

Had me at "sardonic prose" :biggrin:

There was also one from an act I'd not heard before (and frankly puzzled as to why they were on RR): Heartworms - Retributions Of An Awful Life.

Heartworms, the brainchild of musician and poet Jojo Orme, is a cauldron of perplexity. Orme’s gothic take on avant-garde post-punk is beguiling; sardonic prose is delivered in a deceptively innocent manner, while irresistibly off-kilter grooves clash with a cacophony of reverb-drenched guitars.

Had me at "sardonic prose" :biggrin:

Not surprised to see Speedy Wunderground/Dan Carey involved after reading that description. Good song!

GRMLN (LOL, he's in my Release Radar every week),
helloexactly. every. single. week. he's the most prolific artist out there... rearranging the same song over and over in ways that make you wonder if it's actually the same song. (I like him and his stuff- but couldn't tell you one song from the next).

speaking of... GBV with their monthly new album release wasn't surprising either.

Looks like a great year. Just from the first list I’m excited to hear new albums from:

Wild Nothing, Andy Shauf, Folk Implosion, Young Fathers , Shame, Nation of Language, Squid, Yo La Tengo, The Cure, PJ Harvey, Michael Stipe, The National, Peter Gabriel, My Bloody Valentine.

Young Fathers album came out on Friday. I think it's very good. Obligatory five star review. Mix of Afrobeat, rock, pop, etc. from a Scottish band!

Looks like a great year. Just from the first list I’m excited to hear new albums from:

Wild Nothing, Andy Shauf, Folk Implosion, Young Fathers , Shame, Nation of Language, Squid, Yo La Tengo, The Cure, PJ Harvey, Michael Stipe, The National, Peter Gabriel, My Bloody Valentine.

Young Fathers album came out on Friday. I think it's very good. Obligatory five star review. Mix of Afrobeat, rock, pop, etc. from a Scottish band!
I get Elton John, The Who and Nancy Sinatra in my RR this past week and no Young Fathers? WTAF is going on Spotify? :hot:

Tanaka - Bloom

Mesmerizing Dream Pop from this Cape Town South Africa artist that, if it were a little more commercial sounding, might fall under the classification of contemporary Yacht Rock.

I listened to this album a couple times today. I like it a lot.

So far, there's no standout track for me like Shame, In My View or Only God Knows (single), but start to finish every song is quite good. It may be their overall strongest album.

UPDATE: I am all in on this Young Fathers release... I can see this one being up there on my AoTY list.
Solid front to back, but no song stands taller than the rest (like In My View did in 2018) . I limit myself to one song per artist for my annual playlist and listed through this release multiple times to settle on one. Went with Holy Moly.

UPDATE: I am all in on this Young Fathers release... I can see this one being up there on my AoTY list.
Solid front to back, but no song stands taller than the rest (like In My View did in 2018) . I limit myself to one song per artist for my annual playlist and listed through this release multiple times to settle on one. Went with Holy Moly.
I have no such self imposed limits and currently have I Saw, Holy Moly, and Rice on my playlist ;)

Last edited:
I have no such self imposed limits and currently have I Saw, Holy Moly, and Rice on my playlist ;)
I Saw and Rice for me.

Same with me. I'm hoping for a song as good as Shame from 2015, but nothing is connecting like that. I'm enjoying it all the same though. I also put Holy Moly as the top track.

My RR had a new The Raconteurs song called "Life" on it when I checked this morning. It was greyed out at the time and is gone now. My hopes were high.

Really digging Billy Nomates, especially spite.

Little boy, don't think you quite understand
Don't you act like I ain't the ****ing man
I'm only here, I'm only here 'cause I can

Really digging Billy Nomates, especially spite.

Little boy, don't think you quite understand
Don't you act like I ain't the ****ing man
I'm only here, I'm only here 'cause I can
Our algorithms are close. I've been getting a lot of billy nomates from Spotify. I like it gone, but Hasn't really turned my crank, tbh

Sparkler - Acid Casualty

Described as "Sonically ambiguous Shoegaze...Psychedelic... (with) harsh droning guitar" and compared to My Bloody Valentine.

been happier with my release radar the past few weeks. not sure if they have tweaked something or just better stuff coming out.

i think that this is dry cleaning guesting on the new sleaford mods track? (not credited in spotify). what a day for british post-modern non-melodic vocal semi-electronic rock music

The Nude Party has a new one coming out. I like the single Ride On. They are fun live band. Saw them open for Jack White on their debut album tour. They were great. Singer has a Lou Reed thing going on which put them directly in my wheel house.

The Nude Party has a new one coming out. I like the single Ride On. They are fun live band. Saw them open for Jack White on their debut album tour. They were great. Singer has a Lou Reed thing going on which put them directly in my wheel house.
I have not made it that far yet, but they have a song called Hard Times in my RR this week.

P.S. this xmas was the first time that I used Spotify for my holiday music fix (instead of my own library of Keerock+ classics) and it totally jacked up my RR... it is finally getting back to where it was before that. Just thought I'd share.

I have not made it that far yet, but they have a song called Hard Times in my RR this week.

P.S. this xmas was the first time that I used Spotify for my holiday music fix (instead of my own library of Keerock+ classics) and it totally jacked up my RR... it is finally getting back to where it was before that. Just thought I'd share.
I think that may be a new one too. Their s/t album was really good.

Spyres - Sleep Forever

Glasgow indie pop, jangly band.

🎶 It seems
Everything is better in my daydreams
I like it up here in the clouds 🎶

I listen to a peaceful, massage mix, “stress release” playlist when I nap on the train in the morning. Spotify algorithms will never recover.

They really should allow some user editing.

Users who are viewing this thread