What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Offseason Catchall (sooo close to 2023 kickoff!) (1 Viewer)

Flying Elvis

Footballguy
The easy place to post general news and thoughts as we roll into the true beginning of the offseason. Post combine, and now free agency is in full swing!

A few signings today that will have some impact on the IDP side. In no particular order (by which I mean in the order they appear on MFL's article feed).

Jalen Ramsey traded to MIA. CB required leagues probably keep tabs on who starts opposite him as they will get a value bump from QBs going away from Ramsey.

Daron Payne to WAS. I love talking DTs. I love this acquisition as a Chase Young owner and imagine anyone with any piece of that Dline loves it, as well.

Javon Hargrave signs with SF. Copy/paste notes for Payne above lol. Great DL in SF is now completely bonkers.

TJ Edwards signs with CHI. Not something Sanborn owners will love to see. They also picked up a truckload of draft picks so things could change further.

Alex Anzalone stays in DET. Will he continue to vulture snaps and stats from a younger LB that we actually want to carry on our roster knowing Anzalone can't be trusted to stay out of the tub?

Quincy Williams stays in NYJ. Good news for those holding him, I would think.

Jesse Bates to the Falcons... I'm not sure, honestly. I prefer IDPs that will be in high scoring games with good offensive play to keep the game rolling on both sides. ATL isn't that, and as more of a FS, I think this hurts Bates' scoring chances.

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo to CLE. Lining up across from Garrett and he's got a deal that sure looks like starter money (3yrs @ 19-24M), making him a nice looking stash for those of us that snapped him up.

Eric Kendricks to LAC. I hate this... but that's because I have Drue Tranquill everywhere. As much as I love Tranquill, I often watch him getting washed out and am very concerned he loses the 3dlb status that vaulted him to top 10 status in 22. I may shop Drue and see if anyone bites.

Cody Barton to WAS. A rather messy situation gets messier. Holcomb coming back from injury. Jamin Davis still there with plenty of owners hoping for a breakout. Barton seemed to fall out of favor in SEA down the stretch so hopefully he's just depth/injury insurance?

Does Philly have anyone on the roster ready to step in for Javon Hargrave? Or is it more likely they will fill the void (as best they can) with a free agent pickup?

Does Philly have anyone on the roster ready to step in for Javon Hargrave? Or is it more likely they will fill the void (as best they can) with a free agent pickup?
Not sure but I don't see any names there that make me think they'll be worth owning for a team that rotates lots of DL. If a FA or drafted stud hits the roster they would be worth a look but likely it's a rotational headache to avoid.

Kaden Elliss to ATL. This seems like a clear signal they won't be re-signing Rashaan Evans. Otherwise, it's a head-scratcher that becomes a headache for owners of Elliss/Evans/Anderson.

Marcus Davenport to MIN. In case anybody out there hasn't already owned and given up on him.

Dre'Mont Jones to SEA as a DT has some potential.

Dalvin Tomlinson to CLE is another nice bump for their DL. I'm not racing to add him but definitely keeping an eye out and liking it for the DEs.

Lots of discussion to be had around the "next man up" at these vacated positions, too. When I have more time...

Dalvin Tomlinson to CLE is another nice bump for their DL. I'm not racing to add him but definitely keeping an eye out and liking it for the DEs.
I think this may be a bigger boon to the LB corps if they can stay healthy. This should free up JOK to run around and make plays.

I think this may be a bigger boon to the LB corps if they can stay healthy. This should free up JOK to run around and make plays.
A great point, as always. Probably not much making it to their safeties this year because of this, as well.

Great landing spot for Azeez Al-Shaair. If he stays healthy he should put up some good IDP numbers in Tennessee. I would try and get him if he is available.

On the other hand, Kyzir White to Arizona. Now what do they do with Simmons, Collins and White. Just a muddy mess. Probably too much to rely on any of them.

What do we think of K Ellis in ATL?
He gets added along with a coach moving from NO to ATL so I'm hoping for a similar deployment as last season and that could come with some great stats if he plays a full time role all year. I have some concerns that he won't be in a full time role but that will go away if Rashaan Evans is signed somewhere else. Adding where possible with the hopes that it ends up being him and Anderson as the ILBs there in the fall. He also received a starter contract at 3 years 21M.

He gets added along with a coach moving from NO to ATL so I'm hoping for a similar deployment as last season and that could come with some great stats if he plays a full time role all year. I have some concerns that he won't be in a full time role but that will go away if Rashaan Evans is signed somewhere else. Adding where possible with the hopes that it ends up being him and Anderson as the ILBs there in the fall. He also received a starter contract at 3 years 21M.
I would give him the edge over Evans and think it will be Ellis and Andersen as the guys. I would expect Ellis also gets quite a bit of pass rushing opportunities as that is where he excelled the most last year.

Does Dean step into Edwards spot in the middle of Eagles?
With Kyzir White out of the way, as well, it looks like his job to lose.

Yeah I don't think there's much holding Dean back from having an every-down role in Philly with BOTH Edwards AND White gone. A lot of outlets had Dean beating one of those guys out LAST year to put up respectable-if-not-great stats. That obviously didn't happen but I think he's on the field a bunch moving forward.

I can see Evans moving to another spot (maybe Philly?) opening the door for Anderson and Elliss. At least that's my hope as an Elliss owner. He stuffed the stat sheet when given regular time last season and I think he could do a lot of the same things for the ATL if given 90%+ of the snaps.

Za'Darius Smith traded to CLE. Should be a fierce front with him opposite Garrett. Okoronkwo's stash value just took a big hit.

Za'Darius Smith traded to CLE. Should be a fierce front with him opposite Garrett. Okoronkwo's stash value just took a big hit.
As a Vikes fan I hated to see him go. Such a strange situation that happened. He had a good season, seemed to fit well with the team but then he wanted out. Not sure what was going on there.

He should do well in Cleveland.

As a Vikes fan I hated to see him go. Such a strange situation that happened. He had a good season, seemed to fit well with the team but then he wanted out. Not sure what was going on there.

He should do well in Cleveland.
It appears that's just how Za'Darius rolls.

Same basic thing happened over a few years in Green Bay. My assumption is the same general production and happiness will occur in Cleveland, followed by grumbling behind the scenes and a ticket out of town.

Been meaning to ask this because I have not seen any mention of it...

When Chicago signed TJ Edwards, did that completely tank J Sanborn's value? After the Roquan trade, he lit up the box score. But was that due to volume? Was he not a good NFL player? Curious if he still has a path to playing time or is he done?

Sanborn played MLB last year and definitely won't be there this year. Probably a hold until we see more in July/Aug unless there's some solid options on the wire. I'd wager he's not worth keeping if I had to bet right now. A few articles discussing him as the starting SLB (which isn't great for production) and that there'll be competition.

I agree with Elvis. I would hold unless there was something else more promising out there where I needed to free up roster space

Through the first three days of camp, the Bills followed a familiar path with the middle linebacker competition. Each player they believed could have a chance to start next to Matt Milano would get a full practice next to him in that role. It began with Tyrel Dodson on Day 1, went to 2022 third-round pick Terrel Bernard on Day 2 and then to 2022 seventh-round pick on Baylon Spector on Day 3. On Sunday, for Day 4 of training camp, the rotation finally began to repeat as Dodson took his place next to Milano on the first-team defense. Things could change as time passes, but that shows a few things early on.

First, 2023 third-round pick Dorian Williams is at least a bit behind in the race and is not currently viewed as a legitimate option to start early this season. It’s a slight surprise given his draft status as compared to Dodson or Spector, but not completely unexpected given the team needing their first-year players to show a certain baseline before being seriously considered for playing time. Second, the Bills are giving their youth a chance to prove it rather than mixing longtime veteran A.J. Klein to the rotation. And lastly, they want a young player with at least some experience within their scheme, as Dodson, Bernard and Spector all have that blend.

If the rotation follows suit for Day 5, Bernard will have a huge opportunity as the first-team middle linebacker on the first day with full pads. The team has often referred to needing to see the physical component before deciding on a middle linebacker, making it a chance for Bernard to make a statement this early into the competition. This is as wide open a competition as there is on the roster. Regardless of how they were acquired and unless anything else changes behind them, the top player between Dodson, Bernard and Spector will be the starter next to Milano in 2023.

PFF guys with top 5 college Lbs. Edge coming up next 🙂

John Johnson signed back with LAR. Seems like he steps into the lineup and sets thr team up for interchangeable safeties rather than box/deep.

Nick Vigil signed with the Jets! Man, it would be great to see him become a thing again. I can add him to my teams with Alex Anzalone, and ride terrible LBs to a title win.

Anyone got any decent info on the Eagles LB's. Particularly interested in whether there is a real shot of Christian Elliss grabbing that LB2 spot as he has DL eligibility on Sleeper and for tackle heavy scoring thats a cheat code.

Anyone got any decent info on the Eagles LB's. Particularly interested in whether there is a real shot of Christian Elliss grabbing that LB2 spot as he has DL eligibility on Sleeper and for tackle heavy scoring thats a cheat code.
Nope, still seems to be an open competition. I'd say the Jack & Cunningham signings are certainly not a vote of confidence in Elliss/Morrow but I've added Elliss in most leagues where I could. Though in the interest of full disclosure, mine are all deep leagues and Jack, Cunningham, and Morrow are rostered so my only option for a dart-throw was Elliss.

PHI & BUF are in the same, very murky, situation at LB.

Nope, still seems to be an open competition. I'd say the Jack & Cunningham signings are certainly not a vote of confidence in Elliss/Morrow but I've added Elliss in most leagues where I could. Though in the interest of full disclosure, mine are all deep leagues and Jack, Cunningham, and Morrow are rostered so my only option for a dart-throw was Elliss.

PHI & BUF are in the same, very murky, situation at LB.
Shaun Bradley out for the season. I know he was a special teamer, but it's worth mentioning - makes it more likely for more of these guys to stick, which makes a clear role for the 2nd guy less likely (and probably Dean as well).

I'm pretty new with IDP. It's not a huge part of our league but does play a role with 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 DB. Scoring for everything is pretty close to industry standards. We are pretty liberal with adding/dropping guys. Most people in our league use it as a way to have someone playing in a prime-time game so we've got someone to watch.

I'm curious how you guys use someone like Marcus Jones for New England. Our players pretty much get points for anything they do, so he could conceivably be pretty valuable if he's used on offense and as a punt returner. Right now I've opted for CJ Gardner-Johnson as my DB because he seems to play a position where he's often in the thick of things, and Detroit will potentially play in a lot of wild games.

My general feeling is that Jones would be better to use in our league if there was a CB slot, and I should be looking for Nickel/Strong Safety types so I've got a more active tackler. Just wondering how you hardcore IDP guys approach it. Any feedback is appreciated.

I'm curious how you guys use someone like Marcus Jones for New England. Our players pretty much get points for anything they do, so he could conceivably be pretty valuable if he's used on offense and as a punt returner. Right now I've opted for CJ Gardner-Johnson as my DB because he seems to play a position where he's often in the thick of things, and Detroit will potentially play in a lot of wild games.

My general feeling is that Jones would be better to use in our league if there was a CB slot, and I should be looking for Nickel/Strong Safety types so I've got a more active tackler. Just wondering how you hardcore IDP guys approach it. Any feedback is appreciated.
this is really scoring dependent. Does your scoring give you significant points for returning kicks? If so, this vaults Jones up the ladder and gives him a consistent floor. Since you only play 1 DB I would take the risk and go with Jones to start the year and see where it goes. You will always be able to find a startable DB on waivers in a league with that few starting spots. Take advantage of the cheat code (if the scoring deems it worthy).

this is really scoring dependent. Does your scoring give you significant points for returning kicks? If so, this vaults Jones up the ladder and gives him a consistent floor. Since you only play 1 DB I would take the risk and go with Jones to start the year and see where it goes. You will always be able to find a startable DB on waivers in a league with that few starting spots. Take advantage of the cheat code (if the scoring deems it worthy).
Yes anyone who returns kicks gets 1pt/20 yards and 6 for TDs. Jones would also get 1pt/10 yards just like an offensive player for rushing/receiving. Thanks for your input.

Lions article from Aug 9, 2023

Branch has looked every bit the part of the prospect that had analysts dubbing him as one of the steals of the NFL draft before taking his first snap. The second-round rookie has been physical, sound in coverage, with an aggressive side to his game by trying to punch the ball out on every rep shining through. And Branch’s impressive ascent hasn’t wavered, with the first-year defender earning praise from Dan Campbell as one of the standouts at joint practices.

This opened the door for Gardner-Johnson to see more action back deep. And this was after he seemed destined to move back into the slot more often, with the occasional drive at safety. He held that role while playing in Aaron Glenn’s defensive backfield to open his career in New Orleans. And that’s what the vision was thought to be upon Gardner-Johnson’s arrival through free agency.

How productive is a deep safety going to be? Does anyone know if this was his role last year in Philadelphia, or was he closer to the box?

He played a little over 50% of his snaps at deep safety with the Eagles last year. Nearly all the others were split between LB and Slot.

Users who are viewing this thread