What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (1 Viewer)

The Eagles have the #1 line. Have been so for a while now. Maybe he didn't want to play center anymore and asked to be released...

Oh, really?
Fine lets flesh it out
2016 Eagles 8th, Dallas 2
2017 Eagles 1 Dallas 4
2018 Eagles 5 Dallas 14
2019 Eagles 1 Dallas 4
2020 Eagles 19 Dallas 27
2021 Eagles 4 1 Dallas 1
2022 Eagles 1 Dallas 14

You can math up the averages. Looks like The top Offensive Line 3 out of the last 6 years, with the 2 lowest years being 19, other than that a top 8 line every other year. Dallas had the top line once.

Most recently and since this is what matters NOW, the Eagles are coming off a Super Bowl win where they, yes, had the top offensive line. In fact its so tough, there are a lot of people trying to outlaw plays we are successful at.

I'm not making a comparison between Cowboys and Eagles. You said they had the #1 line "for awhile now" and the first year I looked up - they didn't. It just so happens that the most recent year the Cowboys were better. My point is they have not had the #1 line "for awhile now", unless "awhile" only counts last season.

And, because I'm unknowledgeable about this: Aside from the "push Jalen into the endzone" play....what other plays led by your awesome line are causing the NFL to cower in fear?
On the other side with the defensive line, since the Niners and a lot of people were not happy with having CMC play QB when we knocked both of their QB's out of the NFCCG, they have put forth some sort of exception rule to allow a team to carry an extra QB. I guess the belief is if they have Sam Darnold on the roster in the playoffs should they lose all their starters again this year, they'd have a better shot, despite the fact their coach didn't call great protection schemes for their QB's. Maybe that's why they all got hurt, but I don't watch a lot of Niners ball.

I can't remember the last time a team was so dominant/whatever you want to say, that there were (2) TWO, rule change suggestions that came as a result of what another team did on the field like the Eagles this past year. The push the play outlaw gang and this new "let them carry more QB's b/c it wasn't fair" rule. Or however you want to slice it.

And sure I will concede the fact "The Eagles O line isn't the #1 ranked line every year" but as I illustrated, they have finished a top 10 line 5 of the past 6 seasons, and #1 overall, 3 of those 6. So maybe the wording was wrong. Interesting the random year you looked up just happened to be the only year the Cowboys were actually #1 over the same time period.

So we could say a different versions:

Over the past 6 years, its been proven the Eagles usually have one of the top units in the league.
Over the past 6 years, The Eagles have been able to develop guys very quickly, including a guy that never played football in his life until the Eagles drafted him, into a Pro Bowl alternate.
Over the past 6 years, if you average out the PFF rankings, the Eagles are the top offensive line in football.

Point being, this is all just from the possibility that Zeke could sign with the Eagles. And I feel behind, what was the #1 ranked offensive line last year and few guys probably going into the Hall of Fame, I believe he would have a better than 2.6 YPC, which I believe was what Zeke had over the last 2nd half of last year, due in part to the fact 1. Duh the offensive line and 2. Hurts obviously opens up the running game more for backs. Not to mention we have the top WR duo in the league as well, which further opens up the running game. I personally believe Zeke would be a + for the Eagles on quite a few levels including pass protection, goaline work (both of which keep Jalen more fresh) and leadership qualities.

The ole "Anyone Can Run Behind This Line" meme is now ours.

The Eagles have the #1 line. Have been so for a while now. Maybe he didn't want to play center anymore and asked to be released...

Oh, really?
Fine lets flesh it out
2017 Eagles 1 Dallas 4
2018 Eagles 5 Dallas 14
2019 Eagles 1 Dallas 4
2020 Eagles 19 Dallas 27
2021 Eagles 4 1 Dallas 1
2022 Eagles 1 Dallas 14

You can math up the averages. Looks like The top Offensive Line 3 out of the last 6 years, with the 2 lowest years being 19, other than that a top 8 line every other year. Dallas had the top line once.

Most recently and since this is what matters NOW, the Eagles are coming off a Super Bowl win where they, yes, had the top offensive line. In fact its so tough, there are a lot of people trying to outlaw plays we are successful at.

I'm not making a comparison between Cowboys and Eagles. You said they had the #1 line "for awhile now" and the first year I looked up - they didn't. It just so happens that the most recent year the Cowboys were better. My point is they have not had the #1 line "for awhile now", unless "awhile" only counts last season.

And, because I'm unknowledgeable about this: Aside from the "push Jalen into the endzone" play....what other plays led by your awesome line are causing the NFL to cower in fear?
On the other side with the defensive line, since the Niners and a lot of people were not happy with having CMC play QB when we knocked both of their QB's out of the NFCCG, they have put forth some sort of exception rule to allow a team to carry an extra QB. I guess the belief is if they have Sam Darnold on the roster in the playoffs should they lose all their starters again this year, they'd have a better shot, despite the fact their coach didn't call great protection schemes for their QB's. Maybe that's why they all got hurt, but I don't watch a lot of Niners ball.

I can't remember the last time a team was so dominant/whatever you want to say, that there were (2) TWO, rule change suggestions that came as a result of what another team did on the field like the Eagles this past year. The push the play outlaw gang and this new "let them carry more QB's b/c it wasn't fair" rule. Or however you want to slice it.

And sure I will concede the fact "The Eagles O line isn't the #1 ranked line every year" but as I illustrated, they have finished a top 10 line 5 of the past 6 seasons, and #1 overall, 3 of those 6. So maybe the wording was wrong. Interesting the random year you looked up just happened to be the only year the Cowboys were actually #1 over the same time period.

Over the past 6 years, its been proven the Eagles usually have one of the top units in the league.
Over the past 6 years, The Eagles have been able to develop guys very quickly, including a guy that never played football in his life until the Eagles drafted him, into a Pro Bowl alternate.
Over the past 6 years, if you average out the PFF rankings, the Eagles are the top offensive line in football.

Point being, this is all just from the possibility that Zeke could sign with the Eagles. And I feel behind, what was the #1 ranked offensive line last year and few guys probably going into the Hall of Fame, I believe he would have a better than 2.6 YPC, which I believe was what Zeke had over the last 2nd half of last year, due in part to the fact 1. Duh the offensive line and 2. Hurts obviously opens up the running game more for backs. Not to mention we have the top WR duo in the league as well, which further opens up the running game. I personally believe Zeke would be a + for the Eagles on quite a few levels including pass protection, goaline work (both of which keep Jalen more fresh) and leadership qualities.

The 9ers not having a qb on the field wasn’t “not fair”, it caused people to change the channel. Which costs the NFL money, which is all the nfl cares about

If he signs for a deal on par with Penny’s, then maybe. But he won’t sign for that.

1. It has never worked out signing a Cowboy player and having them play well here.

2. I hate Zeke and don’t wanna root for him. Not only has he been the face of that ridiculous franchise the last however many years, I despise that stupid ‘Nom, nom, nom’ eating thing he does after TDs, and jumping in the kettle.

3. Legit, how much does he have left in the tank? He has to be put on a pitch count anyway, but even then, what is he gonna do for us? 10 carries a game, at most? Def not worth the $ he will be looking for. He is slower and not as strong.

4. The only thing that would make it worthwhile would be the look on Jerruh’s face if we fed him the ball 25 times and he went off for 180 yds and 3 TDs against Dallas in each game against them. Then jumped in the kettle at their stadium and went ‘Nom, nom, nom’. That’s worth $18M for a one year contract
Well said, exactly how I feel. No one actually liked that nom nom nom thing did they? lol.

Eagles "Tush Push" is safe for at least this coming season but sounds like there's traction it could come up again in Rule changes next year.

He was almost as good as Daks rookie year.

Gratz?
Dak had a tremendous rookie season. Unfortunately for him he hasn't been able to surpass it.

Can you point to the areas you feel Hurts needs to improve? I'm curious as to what makes you think he's not a good QB. TIA.

You want me to explain for the 100th time? Why? You know my stance.

You think he’s a good quarterback. I think he is only effective as a passer because of his threat to run.He has elite receivers and had the best line in all of football to add to the pressure.
Honest question....how many Eagles games did you watch last year? Hurts made a lot of tight window throws....his guys were NOT running wide open every game all year long.
I remember during the post season the broadcasters commenting on his pin-point accuracy. Perfect throws.

Do you know how many announcers gargle on some of these guys? I remember a MNF game where the announcers were slobbering about Lamar's "accurate" throws. More then a few of them were just great catches not in great spots. Commentators say a lot of hyperbole during a game when something exciting or enjoys happen. it's where a lot of fans get misinformation of what people around the league actually think of guys.

Hell I remember the announcers couldn't stop having a circle jerk of Colin Kaepernick for awhile especially the playoff game vs GB. It wasn't that amazing GB historically struggles against running QBs or QBs with mobility. Hurts did the same thing this past year to GB that Colin did. I'm not saying he is CK because that dude is absolute garbage at Football and QB but my point is the announcers were acting like he was up there with Brady Rodgers and others QB wise.

Half the game I'm questioning announcers. There was a game Fox did last year I forget who it was for our game and it was Adam Amin and the other guy but the color guy said something that was just completely false about the Eagles that someone on twitter mentions how false it was. He then said something completely wrong on the other team and one of their beat guys chirp in about it. Meanwhile both attempts the announcers went on a rant about something completely wrong
Aren't you already on record as saying you won't believe he's a good QB unless he wins multiple SBs? Let's wait to see if he shows any signs of decline before we bury him. So far, all he's done is improve year over year. At some point you will be correct. We have no idea when that will be. Right now as we head into the '23 season, Jalen Hurts - our QB - is the best in the NFC and arguably top 5-6 in the NFL.

He took our team to Super Bowl. We all saw what the team was like without him. I'm going to enjoy it while he's here.

Then he fumbled it away and the OFF only scored 11 pts in the 2nd half. Unacceptable 2nd half by everyone. I even stated all year 2nd Half scoring was an issue. Some of that blame does go on Hurts though for those struggles, others on the coaches etc. But apparently no one is allowed to criticize the guy because he put up 1 good season of football.
Yes, he fumbled in the first half. Criticism is warranted. But he also had his team up by 10 going into the 3rd Q that defense couldn't hold. Not a single stop in the 2nd half when all we needed was one. And still only lost by 3. That SB loss is NOT on the offense.

But yes, he fumbled once during the game so that was the opening his haters needed to put the loss on him. Congrats.

ETA: kinda hard to blame the offense when they scored the highest ever by a losing team. 35 points, a 10 point halftime lead, and still lost. But sure, blame the QB.

We can blame the defense all we want, but the fact of the matter going in everyone and their mother knew defense didn't matter in this game. It was going to be whoever had the ball at the end. Like I said even before the game I was worried because of the Eagles offense 2nd Half struggles. I even point out 2 or so weeks ago where they ranked in scoring and offense in the 1st and 2nd half of games last year. I pointed out we didn't play a lot of offenses like KC and I think thats why it didn't hurt us that much or was an issue. Blaming the defense here is like the Phillies being in a high scoring series where people knew pitching wasn't going to decide much and then blaming the pitching anyway. Is there fault still to the defense? Sure but we scored only 11 second half points and failed on a few conversions as well. You also can't freely give pts to KC like Turning the ball over either and we almost had 2 of them. I felt like the Sanders one we got lucky it wasn't overturned.

"Cowboys’ RB Ezekiel Elliott has narrowed down his options about where to play to the Eagles, Jets and Bengals, and he would like to make his decision about where to sign by the end of next week, per sources."

This is what you call "I don't have many people coming after me so my agent is going to start **** and hope a team gets into a bidding war with themselves and creates interest for me."

Zeke behind a good offensive line probably can play some still. Stealing Dak's BFF would be cold hearted.
Would we dress 4 rbs per week or who would get the axe?
Gainwell might get traded if he signs. Scott just re-signed, and you have to think they like what they see in the potential of Penny.

Then again, we *have* carried 4 RB's in the past I think when we had Donnell Pumphrey
Trey Sermon is still on the roster.

Gainwell, Scott, Penny, Sermon, and Kennedy Brooks (FWIW).

We also could draft a guy too.

Gratz?
Dak had a tremendous rookie season. Unfortunately for him he hasn't been able to surpass it.

Can you point to the areas you feel Hurts needs to improve? I'm curious as to what makes you think he's not a good QB. TIA.

You think he’s a good quarterback. I think he is only effective as a passer because of his threat to run.He has elite receivers and had the best line in all of football to add to the pressure.
Honest question....how many Eagles games did you watch last year? Hurts made a lot of tight window throws....his guys were NOT running wide open every game all year long.
I remember during the post season the broadcasters commenting on his pin-point accuracy. Perfect throws.

Do you know how many announcers gargle on some of these guys? I remember a MNF game where the announcers were slobbering about Lamar's "accurate" throws. More then a few of them were just great catches not in great spots. Commentators say a lot of hyperbole during a game when something exciting or enjoys happen. it's where a lot of fans get misinformation of what people around the league actually think of guys.

Hell I remember the announcers couldn't stop having a circle jerk of Colin Kaepernick for awhile especially the playoff game vs GB. It wasn't that amazing GB historically struggles against running QBs or QBs with mobility. Hurts did the same thing this past year to GB that Colin did. I'm not saying he is CK because that dude is absolute garbage at Football and QB but my point is the announcers were acting like he was up there with Brady Rodgers and others QB wise.

Half the game I'm questioning announcers. There was a game Fox did last year I forget who it was for our game and it was Adam Amin and the other guy but the color guy said something that was just completely false about the Eagles that someone on twitter mentions how false it was. He then said something completely wrong on the other team and one of their beat guys chirp in about it. Meanwhile both attempts the announcers went on a rant about something completely wrong
Aren't you already on record as saying you won't believe he's a good QB unless he wins multiple SBs? Let's wait to see if he shows any signs of decline before we bury him. So far, all he's done is improve year over year. At some point you will be correct. We have no idea when that will be. Right now as we head into the '23 season, Jalen Hurts - our QB - is the best in the NFC and arguably top 5-6 in the NFL.

He took our team to Super Bowl. We all saw what the team was like without him. I'm going to enjoy it while he's here.

Then he fumbled it away and the OFF only scored 11 pts in the 2nd half. Unacceptable 2nd half by everyone. I even stated all year 2nd Half scoring was an issue. Some of that blame does go on Hurts though for those struggles, others on the coaches etc. But apparently no one is allowed to criticize the guy because he put up 1 good season of football.
Yes, he fumbled in the first half. Criticism is warranted. But he also had his team up by 10 going into the 3rd Q that defense couldn't hold. Not a single stop in the 2nd half when all we needed was one. And still only lost by 3. That SB loss is NOT on the offense.

But yes, he fumbled once during the game so that was the opening his haters needed to put the loss on him. Congrats.

ETA: kinda hard to blame the offense when they scored the highest ever by a losing team. 35 points, a 10 point halftime lead, and still lost. But sure, blame the QB.
This.

But to be 100% fair, Hurts didn't look quite as sharp post shoulder injury. HIs accuracy in week 18 and through the playoffs wasn't quite as good as it was weeks 5-14.

I see signs in some of Djax posts that he's becoming a little more open minded but just isn't there yet. And that's ok. Having a smidgeon of doubt about Hurts future isn't a crazy position to have.

Being in denial about just how well he played in 22' and holding fast to "just a running QB" is either stubbornness or simply not watching him much.

I've never denied he'd played well last year. I just don't think he's ever coming close to those numbers again. You bring up a fair point about his shoulder injury and not being as good of a passer as he was prior to it either. I also saw a few times where "He should've taken off" after the injury and didn't or looked hesitant to go and risk injury again. I just think his best season ever was last year and we'll be paying for we hope he does it again but doesn't come close. I watched Hurts a ton in College and he did this constantly. Looked like he was getting there but then suddenly goes back to all the old habits after glimmer of hope.

I'm not saying he's not starting QB in the NFL. I'd take him over others for sure. Good guy, good teammate admits fault. It's better then what I just heard from Justin Fields where he was asked about CHI potentially having a new stadium and his answer was "I hate the cold I hope we have a roof and play indoors." If that was here he'd be getting crushed right now. That to me is a sign of a guy who doesn't have it between his ears to mentally play the position in JF.

This isn't a I hate Hurts no matter what. I'm just not going to biased and after 1 good year say he's our guy or he's an elite QB or top 5 in the league etc. That's just not me. If you want to hear that Philly Sports talk radio is there for that. I've said before I'm not blowning green and black and white roses up people's asses just because someone is our guy. I hope our team is good and root for them but I'm also realistic. I also love dissecting the ins and outs of the games. I may not have the all 22 type knowledge some do but I'll gladly go over stuff if they want.

At times this might make me look like "a hater" or "Not rooting for my team" as some want to point out. But I'm always gonna analysis it. I'm just not gonna sit here and talk about the good. I've been on this 2nd half offensive struggles since what week 5 or 6 into the season. There was 2 games where we didn't score at all in the 2nd half straight and went until the 4th QTR the 3rd game before scoring. Luckily we were playing some avg offenses then. So it's not like I mysteriously just picked something out of the blue there. If it continues this coming season then theres some worrying. How much is it Hurts how much is it the OC or how much is it on Nick?

Last edited:
Yeah...such a shame that one, very uncharacteristic and it marred what was otherwise a pretty solid performance. While this statement may in fact be correct, do you really think it's fair to blame Hurts when he still led the offense to 35 points?

For fans that didn't see a ton of him, I suppose that one play could very well help cement the preconceptions though.

Is it fair though many of our fans put the sole blame on the defense though? Let me put it this way 35 pts is good but was it done consistently? No they scored 24 in the 1st half and only 11 the entire second half. It was a FG and TD with a 2PT Conv. The fumble was costly and they almost had second with Sanders. I think if that was ruled a fumble we aren't even talking about the defense playing poorly. It's that the offense didn't produce in the 2nd half. I think people have this perception "well we scored 35 pts though so we should've won." That maybe true vs most teams but the Kansas City Chiefs aren't most teams. AJ Brown even admitted "I knew the minute we went for the FG and didn't attempt the 4th down Conversion we had a good chance we might lose this game and I know others felt that way too." I felt the something. You can't turn the ball over or trade FG's for TDs vs KC. It was a team effort loss not just the defense.

People need to look at the full picture of that game. Not just the oh we scored 35 pts though. We struggled in the 2nd half like I feared on both sides and it finally cost us in the biggest game of the year unfortunately.

Oh, really?
Fine lets flesh it out
2017 Eagles 1 Dallas 4
2018 Eagles 5 Dallas 14
2019 Eagles 1 Dallas 4
2020 Eagles 19 Dallas 27
2021 Eagles 4 1 Dallas 1
2022 Eagles 1 Dallas 14

We'll have to agree to disagree on the extra QB rule change. While that did involve the Eagles, the change isn't being proposed to stop or slow down the Eagles. Nor is it being made because of the Eagles. The change is being made to prevent an embarrassment of a game, and a playoff one at that, from occurring again. If that situation had occurred in any other non-Eagle playoff game the rule proposal would still have been made.

I'm 100% in agreeance if you are saying the Eagles have had one of the best O-lines of the last few years . I was just pointing out that your claim that they were the best for awhile was another instance of you looking through your Eagle colored glasses. I appreciate your love of the Eagles, but you sometimes seem to lean hyperbolic in some of your statements in support of them.

And, again, the link I provided was the year immediately prior. You said they were the best for awhile, so I looked up the previous year to see if that was true. I promise I didn't search through the years looking for when the Cowboys were #1. I'm capable of discussing other teams without having to compare them to mine.

I also agree with you that Zeke would be a positive for you and would almost certainly average more than 3.5 ypc (which is what he averaged the second half of the season). I think he still has some left in the tank. He won't ever be the Zeke from his first few years in the league, but he's better than what he showed last year. In fact, as much as I would hate to see him in your uniform, I'm almost rooting for him to sign there. It would be fun to watch some of your faithful have to flip and start praising a guy they've crapped on for the last seven years.

And, before I go, I've got to point it out: "we have the top WR duo in the league as well". Remember earlier when I mentioned the hyperbole? The Smith/Brown combination is one of the best. I'm a Cowboy fan and I can say that without it hurting me. But I think Hill and Waddle or even Chase and Higgins might have something to say about that. You can still have a great team and not have to be the best at everything...

And, before I go, I've got to point it out: "we have the top WR duo in the league as well". Remember earlier when I mentioned the hyperbole? The Smith/Brown combination is one of the best. I'm a Cowboy fan and I can say that without it hurting me. But I think Hill and Waddle or even Chase and Higgins might have something to say about that. You can still have a great team and not have to be the best at everything...
Ya, I'd put us at #3. This is a pretty good graphic of it.

Maybe if you include the Tight End you could make an argument for us being at the top, but Miami and Cinci have an edge on us there I think.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the extra QB rule change. While that did involve the Eagles, the change isn't being proposed to stop or slow down the Eagles. Nor is it being made because of the Eagles. The change is being made to prevent an embarrassment of a game, and a playoff one at that, from occurring again. If that situation had occurred in any other non-Eagle playoff game the rule proposal would still have been made.
Agreed on the un-bolded, but my quibble with the bolded is that 3 years prior a similar situation happened, in a playoff game, where a team only had 2 active QBs and one got knocked out of the game 8 minutes into it and then the other seriously tore his hamstring in the 2nd quarter ("torn his hamstring off the bone") and had to limp around on it ineffectively for the rest of the game. They never scored a touchdown and lost, but the team didn't whine about there not being an emergency QB and no fans, pundits, media personalities, etc. clutched their pearls about how awful it was for the game of football and demanded this never happen again.

ETA: The one difference, that actually makes that case MORE valid than the recent one, is that the Defense stepped up in that situation with a QB that could barely do anything on offense to keep it a one score game, so any semblance of a QB option that would have been available could have realistically changed the outcome of that game.

Last edited:
Zeke behind a good offensive line probably can play some still. Stealing Dak's BFF would be cold hearted.
Would we dress 4 rbs per week or who would get the axe?
Gainwell might get traded if he signs. Scott just re-signed, and you have to think they like what they see in the potential of Penny.

Then again, we *have* carried 4 RB's in the past I think when we had Donnell Pumphrey

We could use a backup center. LOL.

Gratz?

This.

But to be 100% fair, Hurts didn't look quite as sharp post shoulder injury. HIs accuracy in week 18 and through the playoffs wasn't quite as good as it was weeks 5-14.

I see signs in some of Djax posts that he's becoming a little more open minded but just isn't there yet. And that's ok. Having a smidgeon of doubt about Hurts future isn't a crazy position to have.

Being in denial about just how well he played in 22' and holding fast to "just a running QB" is either stubbornness or simply not watching him much.

I've never denied he'd played well last year. I just don't think he's ever coming close to those numbers again. You bring up a fair point about his shoulder injury and not being as good of a passer as he was prior to it either. I also saw a few times where "He should've taken off" after the injury and didn't or looked hesitant to go and risk injury again. I just think his best season ever was last year and we'll be paying for we hope he does it again but doesn't come close. I watched Hurts a ton in College and he did this constantly. Looked like he was getting there but then suddenly goes back to all the old habits after glimmer of hope.

I'm not saying he's not starting QB in the NFL. I'd take him over others for sure. Good guy, good teammate admits fault. It's better then what I just heard from Justin Fields where he was asked about CHI potentially having a new stadium and his answer was "I hate the cold I hope we have a roof and play indoors." If that was here he'd be getting crushed right now. That to me is a sign of a guy who doesn't have it between his ears to mentally play the position in JF.

This isn't a I hate Hurts no matter what. I'm just not going to biased and after 1 good year say he's our guy or he's an elite QB or top 5 in the league etc. That's just not me. If you want to hear that Philly Sports talk radio is there for that. I've said before I'm not blowning green and black and white roses up people's asses just because someone is our guy. I hope our team is good and root for them but I'm also realistic. I also love dissecting the ins and outs of the games. I may not have the all 22 type knowledge some do but I'll gladly go over stuff if they want.

At times this might make me look like "a hater" or "Not rooting for my team" as some want to point out. But I'm always gonna analysis it. I'm just not gonna sit here and talk about the good. I've been on this 2nd half offensive struggles since what week 5 or 6 into the season. There was 2 games where we didn't score at all in the 2nd half straight and went until the 4th QTR the 3rd game before scoring. Luckily we were playing some avg offenses then. So it's not like I mysteriously just picked something out of the blue there. If it continues this coming season then theres some worrying. How much is it Hurts how much is it the OC or how much is it on Nick?

A couple things that don't bother me about giving Hurts an extension. Even if Hurts never achieves the same level of play again, Howie Roseman has shown an uncanny ability to: (1) find a good QB he likes and go get him in the draft; and (2) cut bait with a veteran QB and get value for him before the rest of the league figures out he's cooked.

Oh, really?
Fine lets flesh it out
2017 Eagles 1 Dallas 4
2018 Eagles 5 Dallas 14
2019 Eagles 1 Dallas 4
2020 Eagles 19 Dallas 27
2021 Eagles 4 1 Dallas 1
2022 Eagles 1 Dallas 14

I'm 100% in agreeance if you are saying the Eagles have had one of the best O-lines of the last few years . I was just pointing out that your claim that they were the best for awhile was another instance of you looking through your Eagle colored glasses. I appreciate your love of the Eagles, but you sometimes seem to lean hyperbolic in some of your statements in support of them.

And, again, the link I provided was the year immediately prior. You said they were the best for awhile, so I looked up the previous year to see if that was true. I promise I didn't search through the years looking for when the Cowboys were #1. I'm capable of discussing other teams without having to compare them to mine.

I also agree with you that Zeke would be a positive for you and would almost certainly average more than 3.5 ypc (which is what he averaged the second half of the season). I think he still has some left in the tank. He won't ever be the Zeke from his first few years in the league, but he's better than what he showed last year. In fact, as much as I would hate to see him in your uniform, I'm almost rooting for him to sign there. It would be fun to watch some of your faithful have to flip and start praising a guy they've crapped on for the last seven years.

Appreciate the response! And yes, I tend to be hyperbolic, just like the guys (not you), but including the guy that runs this site with statements like "The Eagles played the easiest schedule ever to get to a Super Bowl" so yeah, I mean if the owner of the site runs with hyperbole like that, so will eye, in defense of my team.

I hear ya on the WR duo. If not the best, top tier, and its a matter of flavor I suppose. I'd say without hyperbole that the Eagles "definitely" have a top 3 WR duo, and that fact doesn't really alter my statement about how having those guys like that definitely open up the running game.

Waddle/Hill put up 11 more receptions, 366 more yards, but 3 less touchdowns. To each their own I suppose, personally, I prefer WR's that are big/6'0+ that are good/great blockers and that also run in the 4.4's. A Quick look at the all time touchdown reception leaders, I don't see anyone near the top that is 5'10, but again, matter of preference. Steve Largent is the closest at 5/11, but all the rest all time TD kings for WR's for the most part are all over 6'0

As far as Zeke, I think I covered all my reasons. He'd help block/pass protect and sub out Hurts as the goalline back. Seems like a guy we would need yet do not have on our roster right now. But I definitely would rather us somehow finagle a way to get Bijan here over Zeke by a lot of miles.

Gratz?

We can blame the defense all we want, but the fact of the matter going in everyone and their mother knew defense didn't matter in this game. It was going to be whoever had the ball at the end. Like I said even before the game I was worried because of the Eagles offense 2nd Half struggles. I even point out 2 or so weeks ago where they ranked in scoring and offense in the 1st and 2nd half of games last year. I pointed out we didn't play a lot of offenses like KC and I think thats why it didn't hurt us that much or was an issue. Blaming the defense here is like the Phillies being in a high scoring series where people knew pitching wasn't going to decide much and then blaming the pitching anyway. Is there fault still to the defense? Sure but we scored only 11 second half points and failed on a few conversions as well. You also can't freely give pts to KC like Turning the ball over either and we almost had 2 of them. I felt like the Sanders one we got lucky it wasn't overturned.
So you're expectation going in was for the defense to give up every yard possible in the second half? Because that's what happened except for 2 because the Chiefs intentionally didn't score at the end. You must think Cincy has the best defense in the world, since they actually forced punts a couple weeks before. Saying the game was lost on a play in the first half is just ridiculous and your bias is showing again. Yes, it was a bad and costly play by Hurts, which he overcame and had the team up 10 at the half. Asking the defense to force at least one punt/FG in a half is not unreasonable. Mahomes is great but not perfect. Other teams could slow him down, why couldn't Gannon?

Not sure how much of that is spin, as they certainly could have matched the DET offer after Slay restructured.
Eagles can't match the offer with $1.2 mill in cap space.
Bad timing. Once C.J knew he wasn't getting his bigger bag of cash, Howie had moved on.
Howie had a plan on spending and was on a tight budget AND timeline. The Eagles had a lot of
free agents ranked in the top 50 and are going to lose a few.

That $1.2M isn't accurate. Slay's reworked deal isn't updated at OTC yet, which alone would open up enough, but they also still haven't converted Lane's base yet which is inevitable and will be for signing the draft picks, some vets still to come (including a Safety), room for Jalen's new deal for whatever hit they want/need to take in 2023, and their usual $4-$5M they leave open for unexpected injuries/signings during the season (that they can carry over if unused).

Bottom line, the DET deal CJGJ got could have been matched. Why they didn't want to (or he didn't want it?) is the real story.
The expected Lane extension/restructure is done. Opens up ~$10M in cap, putting the Eagles at about $24M in cap space for this year, including Slay's reworked deal.

opening up $10 million of cap space is pretty great. Makes me think the CJGJ jump to another team was more on his end than the Eagles, because i am sure if he wanted to stay he could have and got most of that money.

Good news is there are still plenty of safeties out there that will be good additions. i have to think the money is more likely to go to the defense (LB or safety) than a RB. i think the Eagles trade some 2024 draft capital for a picks to add mid rounds and grab a RB in 4th or 5th round or maybe they think higher of Trey Sermon this year.

best might actually be if we just hold on to the cash and wait until the summer to spend a bit more, like Howie did and pick up some good deals here or there

Gratz?

So you're expectation going in was for the defense to give up every yard possible in the second half? Because that's what happened except for 2 because the Chiefs intentionally didn't score at the end. You must think Cincy has the best defense in the world, since they actually forced punts a couple weeks before. Saying the game was lost on a play in the first half is just ridiculous and your bias is showing again. Yes, it was a bad and costly play by Hurts, which he overcame and had the team up 10 at the half. Asking the defense to force at least one punt/FG in a half is not unreasonable. Mahomes is great but not perfect. Other teams could slow him down, why couldn't Gannon?
Somehow the defense was able to limit KC to only 14 points in the first half but couldn't make a single stop or force a single turnover in the second half, and we're supposed to just ignore their second half failings while dwelling on the QB's first half mistake. That same defense that was supposed to have a fearsome D line and the best CB tandem in the NFL.

As far as Zeke, I think I covered all my reasons. He'd help block/pass protect and sub out Hurts as the goalline back. Seems like a guy we would need yet do not have on our roster right now. But I definitely would rather us somehow finagle a way to get Bijan here over Zeke by a lot of miles.
i liked the latest New Heights podcast with Siriani talking about how Fletcher Cox wanted to sub in for Hurts a few times on those QB sneaks. My personal vote would rather be for Mailatta to see the big guy live out some of his rugby days, but happy to see Cox do it too. Jordan Davis would be a hoot as well

i liked the latest New Heights podcast with Siriani talking about how Fletcher Cox wanted to sub in for Hurts a few times on those QB sneaks. My personal vote would rather be for Mailatta to see the big guy live out some of his rugby days, but happy to see Cox do it too. Jordan Davis would be a hoot as well
Me too. He's (probably) used to carrying the ball with his rugby background. I've always wondered if they'd put him in in a short yardage situation to just fall forward. Talk about "pushing the pile"! Of course, if they did that he was successful people might start to whine about it being unstoppable and the league needs to ban 375 lb men from carrying the ball.

We can blame the defense all we want, but the fact of the matter going in everyone and their mother knew defense didn't matter in this game. It was going to be whoever had the ball at the end.
Imagine if the defense with the big bad line and best CB tandem was able to give the ball back to the Eagles' offense for the final possession. They would have won.

Me too. He's (probably) used to carrying the ball with his rugby background. I've always wondered if they'd put him in in a short yardage situation to just fall forward. Talk about "pushing the pile"! Of course, if they did that he was successful people might start to whine about it being unstoppable and the league needs to ban 375 lb men from carrying the ball.
i don't know if he still has this acceleration with his first 10 steps, but man i really would love to see it:

on a side note, i played rugby in college and we had to play Oregon U in championship tournament. they had their OL playing rugby in their off-season, so had 2 monsters around 300 and around 6'5" to have to tackle. that was a tiring day for sure.

Eagles are giving All-Pro RT Lane Johnson a one-year, $33.445 million contract extension, including $30 million guaranteed, per source. He’s now under contract through 2026. Johnson hasn’t surrendered a sack the past two seasons, even playing last postseason with a torn adductor.

Eagles are giving All-Pro RT Lane Johnson a one-year, $33.445 million contract extension, including $30 million guaranteed, per source. He’s now under contract through 2026. Johnson hasn’t surrendered a sack the past two seasons, even playing last postseason with a torn adductor.
I know this helps our cap and Howie structured it great, but damn, isn't 33/yr for a lineman unheard of?

I know this helps our cap and Howie structured it great, but damn, isn't 33/yr for a lineman unheard of?
LOL there is no way in hell that happens haha.

Eagles signed S Terrell Edmunds, formerly of the Steelers.
Few notes I found on him. Maybe @fred_1_15301 can give us some more insight on him, but damn this looks pretty good on the surface.

Terrell Edmunds is 26 years old, and has started every game he’s played in for Steelers over the last two years

Started 75/79 games - 410 tackles - 15 TFLs - 5 sacks - 5 INTs

Coverage Grade, per PFF :
Overall Defense: 30th
Edmunds: 31st
CJGJ: 35th

Run Grade, per PFF
Overall Defense: 41st
Edmunds: 40th
CJGJ: 56th

One mistake #Eagles made in offseason after winning Super Bowl in 2017 was new players they brought in were all old:

Michael Bennett: 33
Haloti Ngata: 34
Mike Wallace; 32

This offseason:
Terrell Edmunds: 26
Nicholas Morrow: 27
Justin Evans: 27
Greedy Williams: 25

There’s a common theme with some of Philadelphia’s outside free agent signings this offseason. Rashaad Penny, Greedy Williams and Terrell Edmunds are all former first or second round picks that are looking to rebuild their value while coming off of their rookie contracts.

Terrell Edmunds has plenty of starting experience at safety. Which was much-needed in Philadelphia’s safety room. Edmunds has played over 5,000 total snaps and in various alignments.

1,989 snaps as a box safety.
1,446 snaps as a deep safety.
1,280 snaps as a slot defender.

Terrell Edmunds will be a box safety for the Eagles most downs which is what was needed for Desai’s defense. He’s a sound tackler.

I know I'm a lot lower than others on CJGJ, but I think Edmunds is a sideways move, and could even be an upgrade. Really Edmunds is a replacement for Epps, I would think Reed Blankenship takes CJGJ's spot, and during his limited playing time as a rookie, looks like he could be an upgrade, very excited about his prospects.

One mistake #Eagles made in offseason after winning Super Bowl in 2017 was new players they brought in were all old:

Michael Bennett: 33
Haloti Ngata: 34
Mike Wallace; 32

This offseason:
Terrell Edmunds: 26
Nicholas Morrow: 27
Justin Evans: 27
Greedy Williams: 25

There’s a common theme with some of Philadelphia’s outside free agent signings this offseason. Rashaad Penny, Greedy Williams and Terrell Edmunds are all former first or second round picks that are looking to rebuild their value while coming off of their rookie contracts.
Not coming off a rookie deal, but even Mariota kinda fits that description.

Terrell Edmunds has plenty of starting experience at safety. Which was much-needed in Philadelphia’s safety room. Edmunds has played over 5,000 total snaps and in various alignments.

1,989 snaps as a box safety.
1,446 snaps as a deep safety.
1,280 snaps as a slot defender.

Terrell Edmunds will be a box safety for the Eagles most downs which is what was needed for Desai’s defense. He’s a sound tackler.
**Really** like the signing. Howie gonna Howie what can we say. He just makes really smart decisions. Seems to play a similar role to Blankenship though, so Ed Reed Blankenship might not be starting so much as we once thought 24 hours ago.

With that said, I don't know s*** so he could be in rotation with other players as well.

Very happy with this move though.

Howie gonna Howie what can we say. He just makes really smart decisions.
:lol:
Don't believe me thats fine :shades:

PHILADELPHIA - Eagles general manager Howie Roseman was named the 2022 NFL Executive of the Year by the Pro Football Writers of America on Thursday.

Roseman's deft personnel moves - highlighted by acquiring All-Pros A.J. Brown and Haason Reddick - spearheaded the Eagles to an NFC East title and the No. 1 seed in the conference.

Philadelphia hosts the NFC Championship Game on Sunday (3 p.m./FOX) against San Francisco with an opportunity for its second Super Bowl berth in five years.

Under Roseman's stewardship of the personnel department and roster, the Eagles boasted the deepest and most well-rounded team in the NFL this season with 17 players earning Pro Bowl or Pro Bowl alternate status.

When other awards like the AP All-Pro Team, the PFWA's, and Pro Football Focus' honors that number swells to 20 players, an almost inconceivable number.

In two years since bottoming out after a Super Bowl LII championship with four wins in 2020, the Eagles went to 9-8 and a playoff berth in 2021, to a franchise record 14 wins this season.

The Eagles added five veteran free agents, including second-team All-Pro edge rusher Reddick, who finished with 16 sacks, and second-team All-Pro cornerback James Bradberry, a salary-cap casualty with the New York Giants who fit in perfectly in Jonathan Gannon's quarters-heavy cover scheme.

Roseman also hit the jackpot on the trade market with the draft night deal that sent Brown to the Eagles from Tennessee for first- and third-round draft picks and the summer pickup of NFL interception co-leader Chauncey Gardner-Johnson from New Orleans.

Brown ended up setting a franchise single-season record for receiving yards with 1,496 and CGJ was named All-NFC by the PFWA.

The draft netted three potential starters down the road in former Georgia teammates Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean, along with Cam Jurgens, All-Pro center Jason Kelce's heir apparent.

Roseman previously won the award in 2017 and is just the fourth executive to win it multiple times since the honor was established in 1993, joining Hall of Famer Bill Polian (5), Scott Pioli (3), and George Young (2).

That’s the new money on the rest of his years under this new contract that adds a year to the years he already had. So it’s basically giving him a reasonable per year raise and an extra year at that higher salary.

Don’t know the specific numbers yet but say he had 3 years left @ $19M each ($57M coming his way), this adds a 4th @$22.5m and those other years increase to $22.5M, so now he has $90M coming his way ($57M + $33M).

PHILADELPHIA - Eagles general manager Howie Roseman was named the 2022 NFL Executive of the Year by the Pro Football Writers of America on Thursday.

Roseman's deft personnel moves - highlighted by acquiring All-Pros A.J. Brown and Haason Reddick - spearheaded the Eagles to an NFC East title and the No. 1 seed in the conference.

Philadelphia hosts the NFC Championship Game on Sunday (3 p.m./FOX) against San Francisco with an opportunity for its second Super Bowl berth in five years.

Under Roseman's stewardship of the personnel department and roster, the Eagles boasted the deepest and most well-rounded team in the NFL this season with 17 players earning Pro Bowl or Pro Bowl alternate status.

When other awards like the AP All-Pro Team, the PFWA's, and Pro Football Focus' honors that number swells to 20 players, an almost inconceivable number.

In two years since bottoming out after a Super Bowl LII championship with four wins in 2020, the Eagles went to 9-8 and a playoff berth in 2021, to a franchise record 14 wins this season.

The Eagles added five veteran free agents, including second-team All-Pro edge rusher Reddick, who finished with 16 sacks, and second-team All-Pro cornerback James Bradberry, a salary-cap casualty with the New York Giants who fit in perfectly in Jonathan Gannon's quarters-heavy cover scheme.

Roseman also hit the jackpot on the trade market with the draft night deal that sent Brown to the Eagles from Tennessee for first- and third-round draft picks and the summer pickup of NFL interception co-leader Chauncey Gardner-Johnson from New Orleans.

Brown ended up setting a franchise single-season record for receiving yards with 1,496 and CGJ was named All-NFC by the PFWA.

The draft netted three potential starters down the road in former Georgia teammates Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean, along with Cam Jurgens, All-Pro center Jason Kelce's heir apparent.

Roseman previously won the award in 2017 and is just the fourth executive to win it multiple times since the honor was established in 1993, joining Hall of Famer Bill Polian (5), Scott Pioli (3), and George Young (2).
He's "not" trolling

That’s the new money on the rest of his years under this new contract that adds a year to the years he already had. So it’s basically giving him a reasonable per year raise and an extra year at that higher salary.

Don’t know the specific numbers yet but say he had 3 years left @ $19M each ($57M coming his way), this adds a 4th @$22.5m and those other years increase to $22.5M, so now he has $90M coming his way ($57M + $33M).
Thanks, was a bit confused on this, you seem to have the good grasp on cap stuff that I was looking for lol

I know I'm a lot lower than others on CJGJ, but I think Edmunds is a sideways move, and could even be an upgrade. Really Edmunds is a replacement for Epps, I would think Reed Blankenship takes CJGJ's spot, and during his limited playing time as a rookie, looks like he could be an upgrade, very excited about his prospects.
Not sure I'd say it's sideways or upgrade, but this REALLY REALLY softens the blow. We knew big losses were coming, and no one is saying our roster will be as talented/good as last years, but I'm really really happy with this offseason compared to what it COULD have been.

He's "not" trolling
Its all good. We as Eagles fans are the one's laughing b/c we know how good Howie is. Seems the sports writers do too.

He's "not" trolling

Dude signed an average FA. Happens every day.

The response ?

“What can I say? Howie gonna Howie! Guy just makes smart decisions!”

Seriously? I mean….seriously?!?!

:lmao:

He's "not" trolling

Dude signed an average FA. Happens every day.

The response ?

“What can I say? Howie gonna Howie! Guy just makes smart decisions!”

Seriously? I mean….seriously?!?!

:lmao:
The player he just signed is at least replacement level for who they lost and possibly an upgrade. Meanwhile, the rest of the league is predicting the Eagles to fall apart. So far hasn't happened.

In Howie we trust!

Users who are viewing this thread