What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (9 Viewers)

Claypool only had one good game since his rookie season that I can remember (TB earlier this year). I'm good with trading him for a 2nd. This season is over so might as well get some picks in future drafts.
He has also been in Canada's offense since his rookie season

The Claypool trade gives lots of options for the draft next year. They can use it to move up to a higher 1, package up their 2’s to get another 1 or stay pat and have potentially 3 picks in the the top 40-50
They are probably at the stage where they need a lot of talent more than a difference maker. As well as they draft, it’s a great chance to rebuild the OL.
And by the time it is rebuilt, our rookie QB will be 30 years old.
Yeah I hope Pickett is still around at 30. That would mean that he actually turned out decent.

The Claypool trade gives lots of options for the draft next year. They can use it to move up to a higher 1, package up their 2’s to get another 1 or stay pat and have potentially 3 picks in the the top 40-50
They are probably at the stage where they need a lot of talent more than a difference maker. As well as they draft, it’s a great chance to rebuild the OL.
And by the time it is rebuilt, our rookie QB will be 30 years old.
Yeah I hope Pickett is still around at 30. That would mean that he actually turned out decent.

I mean, I think that just gets us through his rookie contract.

Even Tomlin knows the offense needs a major overhaul My hope is the team has begun the search for a new coordinator from the outside. Open to a total reset including QB.

Just watching this Eagles game emphasizes the importance of building the O line. Every single run is a minimum of 5 yards.
Absolutely. This should have been our priority over the past 2-3 years, especially this past offseason.

Hopefully the change in GM (and a new OC) will cause the Steelers to make this the priority in FA and especially the draft

Apparently DJ is rated as the "most open" WR in the league so far this season. Canada needs to go, but Pickett isn't helping either. This is the last time I am going to say this, because it doesn't matter, but we shouldn't have drafted him. He is going to be a decent QB, but the odds that the Steelers were going to find the next franchise QB at that pick just at the moment Ben retired and oh by the way he went to Pitt -- it was just a dream that Rooney had for a good story.

appArently DJ is rated as the "most open" WR in the league so far this season. Canada needs to go, but Pickett isn't helping either. This is the last time I am going to say this, because it doesn't matter, but we shouldn't have drafted him. He is going to be a decent QB, but the odds that the Steelers were going to find the next franchise QB at that pick just at the moment Ben retired and oh by the way he went to Pitt -- it was just a dream that Rooney had for a good story.
Do you a link? I don’t doubt you (dynasty owner) but would appreciate a link if you happen to come across it again. TIA

appArently DJ is rated as the "most open" WR in the league so far this season. Canada needs to go, but Pickett isn't helping either. This is the last time I am going to say this, because it doesn't matter, but we shouldn't have drafted him. He is going to be a decent QB, but the odds that the Steelers were going to find the next franchise QB at that pick just at the moment Ben retired and oh by the way he went to Pitt -- it was just a dream that Rooney had for a good story.
Do you a link? I don’t doubt you (dynasty owner) but would appreciate a link if you happen to come across it again. TIA

I think it is pretty solid analysis

Apparently DJ is rated as the "most open" WR in the league so far this season. Canada needs to go, but Pickett isn't helping either.

Neither is his mid-50's catch rating in that same report.

This is the last time I am going to say this, because it doesn't matter, but we shouldn't have drafted him. He is going to be a decent QB, but the odds that the Steelers were going to find the next franchise QB at that pick just at the moment Ben retired and oh by the way he went to Pitt -- it was just a dream that Rooney had for a good story.
I generally agree. I didn't want any of this crop of QBs at their pre-draft projected value (which, outside of Kenny, got kicked squarely in the nuts come draft weekend....as it should have.) Kenny is going to probably wind up a Kirk Cousins type, as a best case scenario.

Pickett's selection was 1000% Art II thinking with his glans instead of his brain. "We weren't passing on Marino twice!" Yeah. You weren't. At any point. Not a single one of the QBs available in this past draft where remotely in his stratosphere. One of them just happened to wear the same colors in college.

Worse, the pick sort of exacerbated the mistake that was made the year prior by selecting a 24-year-old running back with their first rounder. Not sure how many years of data teams need to assess before they realize taking runners early is usually bad ROI. That ain't Kenny's fault, and I get that, but it's still a little hard for me to separate the two instances.

For as good as Colbert was for such a long time, his last two drafts were pretty much hog-tied by ownership deciding they wanted to go "all in" for on last hurrah with #7 and then the whole "not gonna pass on Marino twice!!" mentality.

24 is still a baby for an NFL QB and it isn't an issue for me. My problem is the offensive line has been a known disaster for a couple of years and they just haven't been doing enough to make this unit even average. Next offseason they better draft and bring in talent on the offensive line or it will be the same old story, regardless of who is at QB.

24 is still a baby for an NFL QB and it isn't an issue for me. My problem is the offensive line has been a known disaster for a couple of years and they just haven't been doing enough to make this unit even average. Next offseason they better draft and bring in talent on the offensive line or it will be the same old story, regardless of who is at QB.
This isn't a real thing. The line has been average. The bad has been Pickett, Harris, and on D both mlbs and Both outside CBS

They should draft a QB. They won't, so they should trade down and then take a CB

This isn't a real thing. The line has been average. The bad has been Pickett, Harris, and on D both mlbs and Both outside CBS

They should draft a QB. They won't, so they should trade down and then take a CB

The offensive line is below average in pass protection and absolutely abysmal in run blocking. I am shocked to hear anyone say otherwise but we're all entitled to our opinions.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Honestly, I think the Najee 1st rounder hurt more than the Pickett 1st rounder for now. Though, Pickett will be worse if he does not improve and causes us to pass on a franchise QB in 2023 when we most likely have a high pick.

But also, we could have made worse picks, the grass isn't always greener. What if we took Devonte Wyatt in the 1st? He can't even start for the Packers and has like 3 tackles so far this year.

Also, people need to chillax with Pickett a little bit. He's making mistakes, missing open receivers, missing some pre-snap reads, and doesn't always make the optimal choice, but he's also just a rookie. Despite his advanced age, this is still his 1st NFL season, and he didn't get the majority of 1st team reps in the offseason due to poor coaching decisions. Give him a chance to improve, especially with a new OC next offseason (we hope).
If he comes out next year and has made the exact same mistakes for 1.5 straight seasons, then F it, we'll use our top 5 pick on a QB in 2024. Obviously it will suck that we've wasted another year of Watt and Minkah, but if Kenny ends up sucking, I don't think it sinks this team for the next 5+ years which some doomsayers seem to believe.

Man based on what I’m seeing out of all the successful, young QBs this Pickett pick is looking worse. In the modern era, it seems like you need a dual threat QB.

Man, the Packers offer of their second and another pick may end up better than the Bears somehow! Though perhaps Rogers would have turned it around and gotten something out of Claypool, where Fields isn't going to probably.

Knew that their pass rush was gross this season, but actually looked up the stats to confirm HOW gross this morning:

Game one with TJ Watt: 7 total sacks
7 games since without TJ Watt: 8 total sacks

Defense gets Watt, Kazee, and a new starter level CB in Jackson. Claypool's exit means more Pickens and maybe WRs on the same page as their QB. Late BYE week to get some folks healthy. Easier schedule down the stretch and a bunch of division games. They could make the playoffs still.

Defense gets Watt, Kazee, and a new starter level CB in Jackson. Claypool's exit means more Pickens and maybe WRs on the same page as their QB. Late BYE week to get some folks healthy. Easier schedule down the stretch and a bunch of division games. They could make the playoffs still.
Did they fire Matt Canada in this scenario? Cuuuuz if not.....

Did they fire Matt Canada in this scenario? Cuuuuz if not.....
Maybe Frank Reich can be a consultant/play-caller.

They could but I’m seeing them go 5-4 the rest of the way, finishing 7-10.

Free George Pickens
Pickens has been one of the worst receivers in the league at getting open. He needs to do some work to free himself
Maybe run some plays that just don’t call for a streak down the sideline?
It would be fantastic if they had an offensive coordinator who understands route design to help get people open
Johnson has been open. Fix the oline so your young QB has time to see it.

Free George Pickens
Pickens has been one of the worst receivers in the league at getting open. He needs to do some work to free himself
It would be fantastic if they had an offensive coordinator who understands route design to help get people open
The Steelers have the 10th rated line in pass blocking efficiency according to PFF. This narrative is just an excuse to justify Pickett's terrible play

Free George Pickens
The Steelers have the 10th rated line in pass blocking efficiency according to PFF. This narrative is just an excuse to justify Pickett's terrible play

Free George Pickens
I don’t think anyone expected Pickett to step right in without some learning curve. A run game my help take some pressure off as well.

Just watching this Eagles game emphasizes the importance of building the O line. Every single run is a minimum of 5 yards.
Absolutely. This should have been our priority over the past 2-3 years, especially this past offseason.

Hopefully the change in GM (and a new OC) will cause the Steelers to make this the priority in FA and especially the draft
Easier said than done. Building a dominate offensive line:
- Hitting on multiple draft picks
- Judicious FA signings
- 5 solid starters with at least one or two Pro Bowlers with starting caliber swingman and depth
- Must have superior offensive line coach to install scheme and develop starters/depth

The Steelers offensive line is ranked in the middle of the pack in pass protection.
Computer Cowboy
@benbbaldwin
Objective pass protection rankings using made up weights. The Seahawks, hooray! The Dolphins, oh no!
LINK to chart showing pass pro rankings of all NFL O-lines

The Steelers offensive line is below average in run blocking.
Computer Cowboy
@benbbaldwin
The Browns and Ravens offensive lines are just killing people. Eagles and Broncos pretty good too
LINK to graph showing all offensive lines

Note, without a superior QB defenses can key on running plays. With a superior QB/WRs a team's pass-pro looks better than personnel on offensive line. Look at the EPA of the Dolphins offense which has the 2nd worst offensive line in the entire league.
Computer Cowboy
@benbbaldwin
EPA per play and CPOE Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence have above average EPA per play! (Zach Wilson, Mac Jones, and Davis Mills....do not)
Computer Cowboy
@benbbaldwin
The Dolphins arguably have the 2nd-worst OL in the league and huh who is that way up there
LINK to chart of EPA of all NFL teams
The Steelers can stick with Pickett and go the route of building a dominate offensive line hoping Pickett develops with a ticking clock on 24 year old Najee Harris who has not shown break-away big-play ability. The entire offense lacks big-play ability.
Amazing stat from the last Steelers game the blew me away.
Chris Adamski
@C_AdamskiTrib
The Eagles' TDs today are from 39, 27, 29, 34 and 11 yards.
The Steelers longest TD of the *season* is 8 yards
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calling it now, in next year's draft when Pittsburgh has a high draft pick no one will want to draft a blue-chip QB prospect because they will say that Pickett only had one-year so give him more time.
No offensive lineman will rank a pick that high but a defensive lineman will rank that high.
Steelers have the most cap of any team invested on defense, it is extremely difficult to keep 11 players healthy all year but they will take the blue-chip defensive lineman and stick with the same, QB, RB, stick mostly with the same WRs, and they will make a big move to improve the offensive line.
No one knows how Pickett will pan-out but the odds of getting a top NFL QB show highest draft picks fare much better than others and if do not have a top QB and if you have an opportunity to draft a blue-chip QB then draft him.
A top QB cures many ills of an offense and creates a BIG-PLAY threat.

It all depends on where they finish up but I do think it unlikely they'll go QB. If they're in the top 10 they'll probably go edge, CB or OT.

If they fall outside of the top ten then it won't shock me if they take Joey Porter Jr. They seem to love the family thing...

It all depends on where they finish up but I do think it unlikely they'll go QB. If they're in the top 10 they'll probably go edge, CB or OT.

If they fall outside of the top ten then it won't shock me if they take Joey Porter Jr. They seem to love the family thing...
The expected narrative, 'unlikely they'll go QB'. I don't think they'll go QB either, but it is looking like they will be in-reach of being able to draft a blue-chip QB and they won't be aggressive to draft or make a move.
This is what I expect to happen at draft time.
Pittsburgh will use their first-round draft pick on a blue-chip defensive lineman because there will be some available and that draft decision will be justified with the explanation that they needed to give Pickett more time.
We don't know the outcome, but...
Warren Sharp
@SharpFootball
yardage of longest 2022 TD scored:
98: BUF
79: BAL
75: LAR, WAS, ATL, CAR, HOU
74: SEA
67: DEN
66: NYJ
65: NYG
61: CHI, JAX
60: CIN, MIA, NO
58: LV 57: SF, DAL
53: PHI, MIN
51: DET
45: KC
44: NE
41: CLE
38: ARI
37: GB
32: IND
29: TEN
28: TB
23: LAC
8: PIT
----------
We also know who to expect as the starting AFCN quarterbacks for next year.

Baltimore QB Lamar Jackson
Cincinatti QB Joe Burrow
Cleveland QB Deshaun Watson
Pittsburgh QB Kenny Pickett

We'll see how it goes but I see Pittsburgh sticking with Pickett and drafting a defensive lineman.
Just saw this so other agree with me.
Pittsburgh Steelers 2023 Mock Draft

Last edited:

I don't think there is a CB or OT worth a top 10 pick. I love Porter, but that is too high for him, and he is the best in this class

The NW guy isn't athletic enough to be a top tier OT

The expected narrative, 'unlikely they'll go QB'. I don't think they'll go QB either, but it is looking like they will be in-reach of being able to draft a blue-chip QB and they won't be aggressive to draft or make a move.
This is what I expect to happen at draft time.
Pittsburgh will use their first-round draft pick on a blue-chip defensive lineman because there will be some available and that draft decision will be justified with the explanation that they needed to give Pickett more time.
We don't know the outcome, but...
Warren Sharp
@SharpFootball
yardage of longest 2022 TD scored:
98: BUF
79: BAL
75: LAR, WAS, ATL, CAR, HOU
74: SEA
67: DEN
66: NYJ
65: NYG
61: CHI, JAX
60: CIN, MIA, NO
58: LV 57: SF, DAL
53: PHI, MIN
51: DET
45: KC
44: NE
41: CLE
38: ARI
37: GB
32: IND
29: TEN
28: TB
23: LAC
8: PIT
----------
We also know who to expect as the starting AFCN quarterbacks for next year.

Baltimore QB Lamar Jackson
Cincinatti QB Joe Burrow
Cleveland QB Deshaun Watson
Pittsburgh QB Kenny Pickett

We'll see how it goes but I see Pittsburgh sticking with Pickett and drafting a defensive lineman.
Just saw this so other agree with me.
Pittsburgh Steelers 2023 Mock Draft
If they are in a position to draft any of the top 3 guys, they clearly should. All are way better prospects than Pickett and he certainly hasn't improved on his pre-draft evaluation. If the don't want to draft a QB, then, they must trade down. Not doing one of these should be grounds to fire everyone involved.

That being said they might go 1,2,3. If not, I would be surprised if any fall out if the top 5

If they are in a position to draft any of the top 3 guys, they clearly should. All are way better prospects than Pickett and he certainly hasn't improved on his pre-draft evaluation. If the don't want to draft a QB, then, they must trade down. Not doing one of these should be grounds to fire everyone involved.

That being said they might go 1,2,3. If not, I would be surprised if any fall out if the top 5

I am guessing the Steelers will finish with 6 or possibly 7 wins. That will likely land them outside the top 5.

I am guessing the Steelers will finish with 6 or possibly 7 wins. That will likely land them outside the top 5.
That is possibly out of 5he top 10 and QB is not really in play. I want Porter in this scenario

Yeah, I agree.
These are the teams who are currently in position to land a top QB who are in the market.
The Steelers are listed as one of those teams.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
6 NFL Teams Desperate to Land QBs C.J. Stroud or Bryce Young in 2023 NFL Draft
... there's no question which two quarterbacks stack near the top of the class.
When a team doesn't have a franchise quarterback, it's always searching for one.

Pittsburgh Steelers​

The Pittsburgh Steelers placed themselves in a predicament heading into the 2022 NFL draft. They neglected for years to develop an heir apparent to longtime quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, which led them to sign bridge signal-caller Mitchell Trubisky in free agency.
The Steelers wound up spending the No. 20 overall pick on Kenny Pickett, who supplanted Trubisky after only four games. The selection of Pickett shouldn't necessarily preclude them from taking another highly ranked quarterback prospect in the 2023 draft, though.
The 2-6 Steelers are currently in line for the No. 4 overall pick. The last time they had a top-five pick, they took future Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw first overall in 1970.
Stroud and Young are superior options compared to Pickett. Not only are they both more talented than him, but they're also much younger.
Pickett will turn 25 in June. Stroud and Young are both 21. The Steelers can't fall victim to sunk-cost fallacy and pass on either of them just because they already have Pickett on their roster.
The NFL's most stable franchise might have a chance to acquire an elite prospect at the game's most important position.

Looks like Jackson is out -- though Dulac is reporting it, so he will probably start.

Claypool isn't overtly badmouthing the Steelers, but he is saying that the schemed him out of big plays, which is what he does best. He was never a slot receiver. A good OC uses the tools and talents that he has to work with instead of trying to just assign guys to HIS positional spots.

I'd guess 4 tops. Outside the top 3.

The Steelers can't fall victim to sunk-cost fallacy and pass on either of them just because they already have Pickett on their roster.
Ding ding. You don't pass on a potential All-Pro QB just because you have a potentially "good" QB already. Pickett is potentially "good" at best IMO.

I would be absolutely shocked if they take a QB high in this draft given the weaknesses across this team. I think a franchise tackle is a much bigger need. A corner as well.

That's why they call us fans. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread