What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (18 Viewers)

So, Pick 20. All we need is a QB, Center, OT, ILB, CB, WR, DL, and Safety.

We're currently over the projected cap. There's moves to be made to save cap space:
  • Cut Mitch - Save $3 mil
  • Cut A-Rob (Sorry A-rob) - Save $10 mil
  • Cut Chuks - Save $8.8 mil
  • Cut Mason Cole - Save $5 mil
  • Cut Harvin - Save $1 mil
  • Cut Peterson - Save $8 mil
  • Cam Heyward retires - Save $16 mil, but that would be sad
  • Extend James Daniels - Current Cap Hit $11 mil, could reduce by ~$5 mil easily
  • Restructure TJ - Move $6 mil (Could be restructured, traded, or extended; I'd leave this contract alone)
  • Projected salary Cap in 2024 is $240 mil, if we save $61.8 we'd be at ~$189 mil
  • The Steelers don't currently have any players we NEED to re-sign. We already have 41 signed, though I do list a few cuts and extensions.
This would leave us with:
  • QB - KP; Draft rookie and re-sign Mason
  • RB - Najee & Warren; 3rd RB undrafted FA
  • WR - Diontae, George, and Calvin Austin; need 2 WRs
  • TE - Pat F (final year), Darnell and Connor Heyward; TE room is solid
  • OT - Broderick Jones and Dan Moore; need OT to upgrade over Dan Moore, hopefully move Jones to LT
  • G - Daniels (final year) and Isaac Seumalo, and Herbig/Anderson; Depth if not extending Daniels
  • C - Herbig/nobody; Upgrade center at all costs
  • DL - Larry O, Benton, Leal, Loudermilk; becomes a need if Heyward is gone
  • OLB - Watt, Highsmith, Herbig; Solid
  • ILB - Holcomb, Roberts, Robinson; Need a great ILB so that Holcomb/Roberts can rotate and we have our own on-field general
  • S - Minkah, Kazee, Neal, Thompson; Could use upgrade at S over Neal/Kazee
  • CB - Porter, Trice; Need 2 CBs, 1 starter
  • K - Bos
Lots of needs, but some of them are just preference. The biggest holes are QB and Center, and honestly if we upgrade Center, LT, and OC, we'd improve greatly even with the same QBs (not Trubisky).

I think it would be best for Tomlin to move on although I thought he did a good job down the stretch this season and can't really blame this playoff on loss on him.

That said I think a new coach will mean a reassessment at some key positions, particularly QB. Mason Rudolph showed that Kenny Pickett should not be rubber stamped as the 2024 starter. I think a new head coach will be able to have a fresh take on the position.

I think it would be best for Tomlin to move on although I thought he did a good job down the stretch this season and can't really blame this playoff on loss on him.

That said I think a new coach will mean a reassessment at some key positions, particularly QB. Mason Rudolph showed that Kenny Pickett should not be rubber stamped as the 2024 starter. I think a new head coach will be able to have a fresh take on the position.
I do not get the impression that he's going anywhere. I could be wrong, but I think that him walking out when the question started to get asked was the same as when he was offended when they were asking about USC.

I'm hoping the Front Office leads a re-assessment of the whole team, including the OC and DC.

There should have been a 15 yard penalty and possible ejection on the JPJ concussion play.

Hold on Josh Allen TD was blatant too.

Oh well.

Need a Center, ILB, and D-Line help as priorities.

Not sure if they draft a QB on day 2/3 or sign a free agent. Mitch is gone. They should pay Rudy and let him and KP have a real battle.

CB help is needed too . . . .

There should have been a 15 yard penalty and possible ejection on the JPJ concussion play.

Hold on Josh Allen TD was blatant too.

Oh well.

Need a Center, ILB, and D-Line help as priorities.

Not sure if they draft a QB on day 2/3 or sign a free agent. Mitch is gone. They should pay Rudy and let him and KP have a real battle.

CB help is needed too . . . .
We need to replace Levi Wallace and Pat P. Hopefully Trice comes back healthy.

Also, Allen had the fake slide on his long run, and then we hit him later to make sure it's not a fake and we get flagged. Double whammy.

Steeler's need to keep Andy Weidle. Hopefully, he doesn't leave for another GM job. Keep in mind Omar Khan was an assistant GM to Kevin Colbert. 2023 draft was the first one without Kevin, first one with Omar Khan as GM and first one with Andy Weidle. Makes me wonder which of the 3 had a bigger impact.

I'm not so sure I'd keep Larry Ogunjobi at 6.2 million. But you'd almost have to if Heyward retires.

I hope Tomlin takes exit stage left as he did in the presser. But a huge part of me doesn't see him going. It's easy money for him with no accountability.

Steeler's need to keep Andy Weidle. Hopefully, he doesn't leave for another GM job. Keep in mind Omar Khan was an assistant GM to Kevin Colbert. 2023 draft was the first one without Kevin, first one with Omar Khan as GM and first one with Andy Weidle. Makes me wonder which of the 3 had a bigger impact.

I'm not so sure I'd keep Larry Ogunjobi at 6.2 million. But you'd almost have to if Heyward retires.

I hope Tomlin takes exit stage left as he did in the presser. But a huge part of me doesn't see him going. It's easy money for him with no accountability.
Agree on Weidl but he's a pretty hot commodity. Washington got their guy so that's 1 less place he could leave for.

As for Tomlin, he could make really good money doing TV for a year or 2 and that's a lot easier.

So, Pick 20. All we need is a QB, Center, OT, ILB, CB, WR, DL, and Safety.

We're currently over the projected cap. There's moves to be made to save cap space:
  • Cut Mitch - Save $3 mil
  • Cut A-Rob (Sorry A-rob) - Save $10 mil
  • Cut Chuks - Save $8.8 mil
  • Cut Mason Cole - Save $5 mil
  • Cut Harvin - Save $1 mil
  • Cut Peterson - Save $8 mil
  • Cam Heyward retires - Save $16 mil, but that would be sad
  • Extend James Daniels - Current Cap Hit $11 mil, could reduce by ~$5 mil easily
  • Restructure TJ - Move $6 mil (Could be restructured, traded, or extended; I'd leave this contract alone)
  • Projected salary Cap in 2024 is $240 mil, if we save $61.8 we'd be at ~$189 mil
  • The Steelers don't currently have any players we NEED to re-sign. We already have 41 signed, though I do list a few cuts and extensions.
This would leave us with:
  • QB - KP; Draft rookie and re-sign Mason
  • RB - Najee & Warren; 3rd RB undrafted FA
  • WR - Diontae, George, and Calvin Austin; need 2 WRs
  • TE - Pat F (final year), Darnell and Connor Heyward; TE room is solid
  • OT - Broderick Jones and Dan Moore; need OT to upgrade over Dan Moore, hopefully move Jones to LT
  • G - Daniels (final year) and Isaac Seumalo, and Herbig/Anderson; Depth if not extending Daniels
  • C - Herbig/nobody; Upgrade center at all costs
  • DL - Larry O, Benton, Leal, Loudermilk; becomes a need if Heyward is gone
  • OLB - Watt, Highsmith, Herbig; Solid
  • ILB - Holcomb, Roberts, Robinson; Need a great ILB so that Holcomb/Roberts can rotate and we have our own on-field general
  • S - Minkah, Kazee, Neal, Thompson; Could use upgrade at S over Neal/Kazee
  • CB - Porter, Trice; Need 2 CBs, 1 starter
  • K - Bos
Lots of needs, but some of them are just preference. The biggest holes are QB and Center, and honestly if we upgrade Center, LT, and OC, we'd improve greatly even with the same QBs (not Trubisky).
Two thumbs up. Great snapshot heading into the offseason. Like the salary cap options but hope Cam sticks around. I think he stays for the money even if Tomlin decides to step down.

I believe Mason Rudolph is a must sign & be the highest paid QB on the roster. KP is a train wreck. We can't go into next season with an agenda that Pickett will be locked in as QB1.

Draft priorities - OT, C, ILB, CB, DL development, and Tory Taylor or Austin McNamara with 6th or 7th round pick. I want to add WR especially with a very talented draft class, but it hinges greatly on Steelers OC/playbook. If we are sticking with heavy doses of 13 and 12 personnel, a rookie had better be a Heinz Ward type to take over ARob's blocking WR role. There aren't enough passes to go around to satisfy Diontae, Pickens and a 3rd top end WR. Cal Austin is under rated.

The interesting question is will Tomlin sign an extension? Would seem to think the team would want to extend one but would be sign one or does he play out his option year and go into coaching free agency next year?
-QG

Given where we are drafting, is center top priority for round 1. I assume the best tackles will be gone by then. Last time we drafted a center in the 20s, it kind of worked out well.

With that, if I was Mason I wouldn't re-sign unless there were no better offers. He's not going to get a fair shot.

"he plans on coaching the team in 2024"

Words have meaning. Plans on coaching is not quite the same as will coach. Plans can change.

Given where we are drafting, is center top priority for round 1. I assume the best tackles will be gone by then. Last time we drafted a center in the 20s, it kind of worked out well.
The top rated T's will be gone but I had heard this was a loaded class for OT's.

Dane Brugler dropped a two round mock today and I just checked it out and he has 8 players listed as either OT or OT/G going in round one, with 3 of them going ahead of where we pick. Also fwiw two players listed at G/C in round one. It's a good year to get some OL help.

Hard to say due to positional value. Walkthemock and PFF don't have a center listed in the top 50. If that holds true, Steelers could take a top Corner or Right Tackle or QB round 1 and still have choice of the top C round 2. Chuks should be gone along with his cap hit. Big need to bring in a vet or draft a tackle.

Mock drafts have C falling to round 2 at the earliest, but JPJ is special. Could see him move up after the combine.
Jackson Powers-Johnson is my favorite by a mile. He's a nasty blocker. High motor. Aggressive. Athletic. Can pull and slide well. If Tomlin & Omar fall in love with the guy, could see Pittsburgh take him at 20 followed by inside LB in the 2nd. PFF rank 56 2nd round grade.
Sedrick Van Pran like alot about what I've seen so far. Another aggressive high-motor athlete. Gave up 1 sack as a Sophomore. Zero sacks, Zero QB hits as a Junior and Senior. PFF has him projected in the 4th round.
Zach Frazier haven't watched much film on him yet to offer an opinion. PFF likes him in late 2nd/early 3rd

Anyone have other top C to look at? I'll be studying film for fun to get a feel for prospects. I'm sure there are several guards out there who could slide to C.

Words have meaning. Plans on coaching is not quite the same as will coach. Plans can change.
"In a team meeting today, Mike Tomlin told #Steelers players the speculation about him stepping away is unfounded and he plans on coaching the team in 2024, sources say."
Here is the quote from the link. Tomlin clearly intends to return at head coach of the Steelers next year. Big question outstanding is contract extension since he's in the final year of the existing contract.

Mock drafts have C falling to round 2 at the earliest, but JPJ is special. Could see him move up after the combine.
Jackson Powers-Johnson is my favorite by a mile. He's a nasty blocker. High motor. Aggressive. Athletic. Can pull and slide well. If Tomlin & Omar fall in love with the guy, could see Pittsburgh take him at 20 followed by inside LB in the 2nd. PFF rank 56 2nd round grade.
I had referenced that 2 round mock draft that Dane Brugler put out today earlier.

He actually had JPJ going the pick right after the Steelers, at 21(had us taking Cooper DeJean). I don't really care much about his mock or most people's mocks, I don't think he studies NFL teams enough to know their needs, mainly look at mocks for listing of players.

Anyone have other top C to look at?
Possible C's who showed up from that mock, which I'll link at the bottom.

Graham Barton who he has going pick 31 and lists him as G/C and mentions he was mainly a OT but think he'll move inside and be the top C on a few teams boards.

Zach Frazier who you mentioned he has going.....to us..... at pick 51.

That's all I saw that made his two round mock, which is here:https://theathletic.com/5203443/2024/01/16/nfl-mock-draft-2024-two-rounds-quarterbacks/

"In a team meeting today, Mike Tomlin told #Steelers players the speculation about him stepping away is unfounded and he plans on coaching the team in 2024, sources say."
Here is the quote from the link. Tomlin clearly intends to return at head coach of the Steelers next year. Big question outstanding is contract extension since he's in the final year of the existing contract.
Exactly what I said. He "plans" on coaching. Plans is not the same as will. I plan to work until I'm 65 but I'm not sure that I will.

Kinda like with Bellichik and New England, the problem isn't Mike Tomlin on game day. It's...the other days.

Rooney's plans trump Mike's, is all I think he's alluding to.

Not going anywhere, IMO.
Everything we're hearing is Rooney and the rest of the organization wants him back. Up to Tomlin it seems, if he wants to come back he'll be back. It'll be interesting though if he doesn't get an extension soon; the speculation will only increase. The cynic in me says his ego won't let him leave like this.

The cynic in me says his ego won't let him leave like this.

Essentially I agree, but also wonder if the ego would allow him to be a "lame duck" if the Rooneys decide to delay an extension.

I think theyre going to extend him and it wont matter, though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread