What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (9 Viewers)

What a ride for Mason though. Left for dead, no great offers as a free agent and gets a vet min 1 year, 3rd string with no chance to play. And now he's starting a playoff game. I don't know that he'll "break the bank" but surely he's going to get more than a 1 year vet min contract soon.

Given circumstances, it certainly worked out about as well as it could have for him for sure. He made himself some money.

What a ride for Mason though. Left for dead, no great offers as a free agent and gets a vet min 1 year, 3rd string with no chance to play. And now he's starting a playoff game. I don't know that he'll "break the bank" but surely he's going to get more than a 1 year vet min contract soon.

Something tells me Mason hasn’t blown his career NFL earnings and has saved a lot of it.

No idea what he’ll get but 3 years and something like $21M with some guarantees could be life changing.

Good for him.

It's still early but the weather forecast in Buffalo on Sunday sounds brutal: Gusty winds. Snow showers developing in the afternoon. High 25 F, Winds 20-30 mph, Chance of snow 40%. For those that have never been to that stadium, the field is 50ft below ground level and has crazy wind patterns due to the orientation of the open end of the field.

Sounds like a game where the ground game is going to be big.
Just was coming here to post that the weather forecast is damn near perfect for our offense.

It's still early but the weather forecast in Buffalo on Sunday sounds brutal: Gusty winds. Snow showers developing in the afternoon. High 25 F, Winds 20-30 mph, Chance of snow 40%. For those that have never been to that stadium, the field is 50ft below ground level and has crazy wind patterns due to the orientation of the open end of the field.

Sounds like a game where the ground game is going to be big.
Just was coming here to post that the weather forecast is damn near perfect for our offense.
Looks like chance of snow has decreased which I think is good. That rain was causing lots of fumbles last Saturday.

Heavy wind might be good, but if it throws of Rudolph's deep ball that might be bad for us. If the Bills are smart they'll be targeting the middle of the field in the intermediate depth, shouldn't be too affected by the wind.

Pete Carroll is out in Seattle, looks like a possible retirement since he is staying within the organization as an advisor. If BB is out in New England, the AFC North will have the top 2 longest tenured head coaches.

Sometimes I'm angry that the Ravens are so consistently good, but that's part of what makes it the best rivalry in football.

TJ Watt not on the all-pro bowl team.
huh

Safety Minkah Fitzpatrick, special teamer Miles Killebrew and linebacker T.J. Watt will represent the black and gold as they were voted to the Pro Bowl Games, which took on a new format in 2022. Killebrew and Watt were both voted in as starters.

EDIT: Oh you meant the All-PRO team - yeah dumb nothing against Crosby but Watt should have his spot

Lot of buzz today in the Burgh. Mason Rudolph is starting vs the Bills this Sunday but Pickett still listed as QB1 on the depth chart and of course no injury at all.

Your thoughts if any?

Something tells me Mason hasn’t blown his career NFL earnings and has saved a lot of it.

No idea what he’ll get but 3 years and something like $21M with some guarantees could be life changing.

Good for him.
Awesome for him. He’s been in some pretty bad situations from Ben’s attitude toward him to Duck and Trubiski starting over him. He was never negative (at least in public) and just went to work. He deserves every penny.

Lot of buzz today in the Burgh. Mason Rudolph is starting vs the Bills this Sunday but Pickett still listed as QB1 on the depth chart and of course no injury at all.

Your thoughts if any?
Doesn’t mean anything for the playoffs. Rudy is better than KP and should keep the reigns.

Tomlin got aggressive against the media member who asked why Rudy isn’t listed as the starter. Lost his cool.

Sadly, I think the Steelers are trying to minimize Rudy to the media as a negotiating tactic. Team needs to sign him and something a subtle as leaving him as #2 on the depth chart might influence perception.

Your thoughts if any?
Doesn’t mean anything for the playoffs. Rudy is better than KP and should keep the reigns.

Tomlin got aggressive against the media member who asked why Rudy isn’t listed as the starter. Lost his cool.

Sadly, I think the Steelers are trying to minimize Rudy to the media as a negotiating tactic. Team needs to sign him and something a subtle as leaving him as #2 on the depth chart might influence perception.
When was the last time the depth chart was even updated?

What did he say that was aggressive?

Your thoughts if any?
Tomlin answered that, the lack of a depth chart change, in such a Tomlin way, i.e. word salad:

“Would it make you feel better if I did? We’re going about our business cultivating a plan to win this week. We care less about the division of labor in terms of what’s on pieces of paper and depth charts and so forth and more strategically how we utilize the tools at our disposal in an effort to secure victory. I’ve been transparent with you guys. [Rudolph]’s got the hot hand. He’s going to maintain control of the ball. I don’t know why that is an issue, to be quite honest with you,”

I think it means nothing more than Rudolph is playing until he falters or the season ends, and Pickett will get every opportunity to remain #1 next season. Rudolph will have to be clearly better next season to jump to #1. And probably providing a "soft landing" for Pickett by keeping him #1 now.

In my mind Tomlin is all in for KP long term. Injuries led to Mason having to play and better than expected play from Mason forced Tomlin to go with the hot hand. Remember in the past Tomlin kept on using the excuse Football Justice for KP. That great things happen to those who work hard. Just because Kenny worked hard and was first in and last out. Doesn't necessarily translate to long term success. I know a lot of people who work hard who suck at their job. Was giving the guy every known excuse to the world. His lack of turnovers. Literally trying to spin Kenny into gold from the straw man that he is. Instead of saying his lack of passing touchdowns, he's injury plagued, doesn't have a strong arm, doesn't like to go over the middle with a pass. etc etc etc

TJ Watt not on the all-pro team.
I haven't seen the all-pro team listed by AP yet. Only the NFLPA players all-pro and PFF All-Pro which are not the traditional official one. But, it wouldn't surprise me if he's left off, even after leading the league in sacks for the 3rd time and leading in many other major categories ahead of Garrett and Parsons. Not sure why, but the narrative is that they're better right now.

In my mind Tomlin is all in for KP long term. Injuries led to Mason having to play and better than expected play from Mason forced Tomlin to go with the hot hand. Remember in the past Tomlin kept on using the excuse Football Justice for KP. That great things happen to those who work hard. Just because Kenny worked hard and was first in and last out. Doesn't necessarily translate to long term success. I know a lot of people who work hard who suck at their job. Was giving the guy every known excuse to the world. His lack of turnovers. Literally trying to spin Kenny into gold from the straw man that he is. Instead of saying his lack of passing touchdowns, he's injury plagued, doesn't have a strong arm, doesn't like to go over the middle with a pass. etc etc etc
I think Trubisky is gone and they will try their best to re-sign Rudolph. Assuming Rudolph is back with the team then the job will be Pickett's to lose but I don't think he'll have a long leash.

If Rudolph goes elsewhere then the Steelers will sign another vet to back up Pickett. It won't be Trubisky though -- he has proven that he isn't even a capable backup.

I think Trubisky is gone and they will try their best to re-sign Rudolph. Assuming Rudolph is back with the team then the job will be Pickett's to lose but I don't think he'll have a long leash.

If Rudolph goes elsewhere then the Steelers will sign another vet to back up Pickett. It won't be Trubisky though -- he has proven that he isn't even a capable backup.
I agree Mitch is pretty much gone after this season. Depending on what they do with Chuks, Patrick Peterson, ARobber(Alan Robinson who's a shell of himself), Mason Cole, Cam(if he retires), Dan Moore you keep he's making dirt dollars, but you make him a backup. Steelers could have a lot of cost savings. Mason will be in interesting he's literally playing for a contract depending on how well he does this weekend can result on added leverage for his agent.

If Mitch has proven that he isn’t a capable backup (and he has), then hasn’t Kenny also proven that he isn’t a capable starter?

I think the odds of giving Kenny one more crack at a starting gig next year are less than 50%. I think it’s more likely they go a different direction instead. However, it would take ~2 playoff victories to trust Mason as that choice of direction.

If Mitch has proven that he isn’t a capable backup (and he has), then hasn’t Kenny also proven that he isn’t a capable starter?

I think the odds of giving Kenny one more crack at a starting gig next year are less than 50%. I think it’s more likely they go a different direction instead. However, it would take ~2 playoff victories to trust Mason as that choice of direction.

Pickett improved slightly from his rookie season and I think the prevailing thought is the jury is still out, especially being burdened by Matt Canada's offense. I am certainly not convinced though. At least he has a winning record.

Trubisky proved this year that you can't count on him to step in if the starter gets hurt. He was awful

Pickett improved slightly from his rookie season and I think the prevailing thought is the jury is still out, especially being burdened by Matt Canada's offense. I am certainly not convinced though. At least he has a winning record.

Trubisky proved this year that you can't count on him to step in if the starter gets hurt. He was awful
I disagree that Pickett improved from his rookie year.

Your thoughts if any?
Tomlin answered that, the lack of a depth chart change, in such a Tomlin way, i.e. word salad:

“Would it make you feel better if I did? We’re going about our business cultivating a plan to win this week. We care less about the division of labor in terms of what’s on pieces of paper and depth charts and so forth and more strategically how we utilize the tools at our disposal in an effort to secure victory. I’ve been transparent with you guys. [Rudolph]’s got the hot hand. He’s going to maintain control of the ball. I don’t know why that is an issue, to be quite honest with you,”

I think it means nothing more than Rudolph is playing until he falters or the season ends, and Pickett will get every opportunity to remain #1 next season. Rudolph will have to be clearly better next season to jump to #1. And probably providing a "soft landing" for Pickett by keeping him #1 now.
I think it's pretty simple. Nobody on the coaching staff thinks it's important to update the Steelers web page with the current depth chart. I agree with him.

Your thoughts if any?

I think it's pretty simple. Nobody on the coaching staff thinks it's important to update the Steelers web page with the current depth chart. I agree with him.
Not like the coaches literally update the depth chart on the website.

Yeah it is debatable and very close but he did cut down on picks substantially (9 vs 4) in roughly the same number of games. He wasn't impressive either year IMO

Yeah it is debatable and very close but he did cut down on picks substantially (9 vs 4) in roughly the same number of games. He wasn't impressive either year IMO
I still think Pickett could be successful, but that the possible range of outcomes is narrowed due to his age and the skills he's shown thus far. He's going to be 26 going into next season. In my opinion it will take probably 2 years with a great OC to turn Kenny into a top 12 QB (if he can become that). Why waste the time? By then he'll need a second contract and will be 28. If we get a great OC, I think that we have the ability to draft a QB and turn them into a top 12 QB with even more upside.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but the lack of decisiveness, pocket awareness, and ability to hit WRs in stride isn't something that magically improves. It's typically one of those things you have or don't.

I’m brewing this weekend. I was going to start at 8:00 in order to be done before kickoff. Now I switched everything to Monday so the 4:00 start means I can start at 11:00 so works out good for me

I’m brewing this weekend. I was going to start at 8:00 in order to be done before kickoff. Now I switched everything to Monday so the 4:00 start means I can start at 11:00 so works out good for me
How's that going? You're semi-commercial, right?

I'm just a homebrewer and haven't done a batch in a couple of years.

What are you brewing???
Doing a split batch on Monday: 10 gallons of a SMASH blonde with cashmere hops. 5 gallons of a NEIPA hazy with Cashmere & Mosaic

It’s going really well. I’m planning on retiring in a few months and may open up a satellite brewery with the oldest craft brewery in Pittsburgh which would feature a few of their beers with mine.

Just need to work out the details and decide if I really want to jump into all that when I’m finally able to relax. Leaning towards doing it though

It’s going really well. I’m planning on retiring in a few months and may open up a satellite brewery with the oldest craft brewery in Pittsburgh which would feature a few of their beers with mine.

Just need to work out the details and decide if I really want to jump into all that when I’m finally able to relax. Leaning towards doing it though
That's awesome, man. Best of luck to you.

Expecting a Steelers win and a short week to go take on Baltimore. I don't do sports betting much, but might have to put down a few bucks on Pit winning straight up.

Offense will deliver a heavy dose of 13 packages to control the clock and stay on schedule. Buffalo hasn't been good defending the run. Pair that with Rudolph's decision making, he punishes punishes defenses for overloading the box. Thanks to Rudy, the run game has opened up and the entire offense has elevated. It's a joy to watch!

Defense is the big concern without Watt. Hanging my hat on generating turnovers from both Cook and Allen. Nasty weather favors Pittsburgh.

Last point which is crazy to think about... Buffalo would have finished BEHIND Pittsburgh if they would have lost to Miami. While they've been hot, their play has been inconsistent. Don't see them playing their best for a full 60 minutes getting punched in the mouth. Ever since Rudy took over the reigns, Pittsburgh just wants it more.

I still have a can or 2 of your cinco de mayo brew.

Pittsburgh just wants it more.
Buffalo went from out of the playoffs, #11 seed, to the #2 seed. Pittsburgh went from in the playoffs to needing help just to get in. You can't say Steelers want it more.
True yet two games last week flip and Bills miss the playoffs. Wide range of outcomes last week from hosting a playoff game to being on the couch. Congratulations to the Bills for getting in.

Frankly, Steelers shouldn’t have come close to making the playoffs based on performance before the last 3 weeks. Team flipped a switch and got lucky. Blame the NFL for letting 7 of 16 teams make the postseason.

Miles Garrett recorded 2 tackles and 1 assist, 0 sacks , 0 turnovers in last night’s playoffs game.

Garrett had zero sacks in the Browns last 6 games

Users who are viewing this thread