What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (10 Viewers)

Pittsburgh just wants it more.
Buffalo went from out of they playoffs, #11 seed, to the #2 seed. Pittsburgh went from in the playoffs to needing help just to get in. You can't say Steelers want it more.
The bills barely beat a battered Miami team, barely beat the terrible Pats team, beat Easton Stick lead Chargers by 2 pts, lost to the Eagles who can't beat anyone right now, and lost to the Broncos. They're not some juggernaut, yes they won 5 in a row, but they have not shown themselves to be an amazing team. The media hype is overblown.

We might lose if the Mason wheels fall off, or if the team doesn't show up for the first half, but Buffalo is barely beating bad teams, there's no reason to think we can't win.

Though we really need to do anything in the 1st half, please.
2022 - Allowed 21 in the 1st half to the Chiefs.
2021 - Allowed 35 pts to the Browns in the 1st half, 28 in the 1st quarter.
2018 - Allowed 28 to the Jags in the 1st half.

Buffalo went from out of they playoffs, #11 seed, to the #2 seed. Pittsburgh went from in the playoffs to needing help just to get in. You can't say Steelers want it more.
The bills barely beat a battered Miami team, barely beat the terrible Pats team, beat Easton Stick lead Chargers by 2 pts, lost to the Eagles who can't beat anyone right now, and lost to the Broncos. They're not some juggernaut, yes they won 5 in a row, but they have not shown themselves to be an amazing team. The media hype is overblown.

We might lose if the Mason wheels fall off, or if the team doesn't show up for the first half, but Buffalo is barely beating bad teams, there's no reason to think we can't win.

Doesn't matter how much they beat whoever by. The comment was Pittsburgh "just wants it more" which isn't the case.

As far as who will win, can the Steelers win? Of course they can. But it's not likely.

I don’t see how the Steelers offense (as bad as they are in normal conditions) can do anything at all under these conditions. A shutout would not surprise me. This is going to be a sloppy game on both ends.

I don’t see how the Steelers offense (as bad as they are in normal conditions) can do anything at all under these conditions. A shutout would not surprise me. This is going to be a sloppy game on both ends.

Heavy formations and grind it out runs with short passes, and the occasional deep ball is a great offense for this type of weather. I think Steelers are built for exactly this.

Doesn't matter how much they beat whoever by. The comment was Pittsburgh "just wants it more" which isn't the case.

As far as who will win, can the Steelers win? Of course they can. But it's not likely.
I don't know, there's been so much bulletin board material prior to this game, and we've been really scrappy the last 3 weeks. People in the media have referred to the Steelers game as a Bye Week for the Bills. Every single show I've seen analyze the playoffs games have brushed past this game like it was a foregone conclusion. The Steelers have been great underdogs in the past. The Bills wanted it real bad for weeks and weeks and then almost laid an egg against a decimated Dolphins team. It looks like they let their foot off the gas and I would not be shocked if they came out slow.

As long as KP and Mitch stay off the field. Otherwise, I'd agree with you.

This could be the Bills’ “trap game.”

The only way I can see that happening is if Allen completely implodes on the turnover front (like, 4+). Of course, without Watt the defense isn't anywhere near what it is with him so forcing that many mistakes would be far more challenging.

Even then, this Steelers' offense just isn't very good. The last few weeks on their "streak" it's just be better than the godawful it was with Canada. It's romantic to think the weather will favor them going all "smash mouth" and being able to keep the ball away from Buffalo and let the defense try and work some magic, but to think they won't be negatively effected by it at all is....let's call it "misguided."

the field is fine, offenses should be near 100% capabilities. It really comes down to Josh Allen.
Its not like Rams playing Dolphins in the cold, these teams are both used to playing in the elements. Steelers just played in a cold, drenching rain in Bmore.
Its breezy, so maybe kicks/punts are impacted, deep passes too, but both QBs got big arms. Thankfully, for steelers, its Mason and not Picketts little arm.
Its about time to jam!

Also, I think I threw up a little in my mouth...

Russell Wilson has the personality of a Matt Canada. He would instantly be the most disliked player in the locker room. Also, he's 35 we don't need no stinking badges I mean old QB's.

Unless they're giving him away there's 0 chance Wilson ends up in Pittsburgh.

Pretty sure Denver will be cutting him for cost savings unless he rips up his contract
$85M cap hit if they do

They’ll wait until June 1 I guess and it’s way lower
IIRC, no matter what they do they'll be paying him money and have a cap charge. I guess if the super genius Payton is done with him they'll have to move/release him.

I love the optimism leading up to this game but come on guys. The writing was on the wall for a blowout. I guess we did need bad weather after all to have a shot.

Defense didn’t get turnovers and Pickens fumble + Diontae slipping in the end zone was brutal. Flip those turnovers in Pittsburgh favor and we’d win. Very disappointed.

Hats off to Buffalo. Didn’t turn it over and outplayed Pittsburgh's D.

This sums it up perfectly

I am actually happy how they played.. Mason Rudolph started off bad, but I thought he overcame that and did well.

The missed hold on Pickens on 4th and 3 was huge. I get calls get missed, but seems like there were a lot of questionable and missed calls by and on one team tonight.

I am actually happy how they played.. Mason Rudolph started off bad, but I thought he overcame that and did well.

The missed hold on Pickens on 4th and 3 was huge. I get calls get missed, but seems like there were a lot of questionable and missed calls by and on one team tonight.
We got a break on the fumble recovery that wasn’t called but other than that calls definitely went against us. With that said, we aren’t a team that was capable of climbing out of a 21-0 hole against this Bills team.

We got a break on the fumble recovery that wasn’t called but other than that calls definitely went against us. With that said, we aren’t a team that was capable of climbing out of a 21-0 hole against this Bills team.
Came back to 7 point deficit with 10 min left in the 4th. Critical time for a Renegade defensive stand/turnover. Primed for Pittsburgh to take over the game. Can’t let Buffalo score 7 there.

We all knew it was an uphill battle this week but they turned at 21-0 deficit on the road to 24-17. Had the defense had it in them for one defensive stand I think the momentum that shifted to the Steelers might have been able to tie the game and then who knows.

But as it turned out the better team won and hats off to the Bills. I think a healthy TJ could have made the difference but we’ll never know. I wish the Bills best of luck in the playoffs

Steelers have a lot of holes to fill, an OT, need WR depth, a top 12 QB and punter. Also a DL, an iLB, safety and at least 1 CB.
I wouldnt care if they traded Minkah for a couple picks 2-4th rd picks. He aint worth $18M or whatever he is getting.

K, oLB, TE and RB are solid.

And coaching staff needs turned over. If MT wants to stay, ok, but new OC, maybe new DC, a replay assistant in the booth.

Serious question: Are Steelers fans happy with the team overall? I mean year after year of contending for or making the playoffs, never flopping, but never truly challenging for a title. Would you rather go through a few seasons of bad teams if it means shooting for a rebuild that could someday be a champion?

Not saying one is better than the other. I grew up in Tampa, with double-digit seasons of double-digit losses. We once sold out the Sombrero and the city was excited because the team had a chance to go 8-8 (didn't happen, but they did snap the 10+losses streak by going 7-9). Winning records and playoff games -- whether they end up going anywhere or not-- seems like it could be pretty appealing. Just wondering what people thought.

Serious question: Are Steelers fans happy with the team overall? I mean year after year of contending for or making the playoffs, never flopping, but never truly challenging for a title. Would you rather go through a few seasons of bad teams if it means shooting for a rebuild that could someday be a champion?
I personally really dislike this middle of the road obscurity. Maybe with Watt we might have been able to do something last night but at some point in the playoffs a superior outfit pummels this team. But people are coaching and playing for their jobs in a very short term world so expecting a team that can make the playoffs to not do so for a future they probably wouldn't be part of is unrealistic.

Short term incentives and long term goals are rarely aligned in this league I think. If there was more job security for coaches and ownership was prepared to back their guy through a lean spell in view of acquiring superior draft capital and (theoretically at least) higher calibre players with it, maybe it could work. But it's more short term than ever. One down year is likely your end regardless of what you've previously achieved. And what's the average age of an NFL owner? Something like 78? Hard to not be a short-termist at that age.

Not saying one is better than the other. I grew up in Tampa, with double-digit seasons of double-digit losses. We once sold out the Sombrero and the city was excited because the team had a chance to go 8-8 (didn't happen, but they did snap the 10+losses streak by going 7-9). Winning records and playoff games -- whether they end up going anywhere or not-- seems like it could be pretty appealing. Just wondering what people thought.
This is called sports purgatory. Under Tomlin, unless the talent can execute perfectly since the game plan will always be as predictable as you see on film, then this will always be the end result come playoff time, regardless of who and where they play. Basically, he needs a fully stacked team that will win based on talent alone. Many Steeler fans are happy with this, while others are not. It all depends on what you value most as a fan. I know what to expect if he stays on, so I'm prepared before the season even starts.

I'd MUCH rather have Tomlin step away and that means Heyward moves on, so be it. This core isn't winning and hasn't won for over a decade.

I believe that in today's NFL, you need more than a player's coach who struggles with X's and O's and game management. I mean, wtf was he thinking not calling timeouts before halftime yesterday?

They need to find a younger, more innovative offensive mind who can develop a QB and who can actually hire good coordinators. I'm not smart enough to know who that is, but if Tomlin stays, we're going to be stuck in the same cycle we've been in for 13 years.

I love the optimism leading up to this game but come on guys. The writing was on the wall for a blowout. I guess we did need bad weather after all to have a shot.
It was within 7 in the 4th quarter, if we'd had any luck at all this game could have been ours. If Pickens doesn't drop the fumble, if Mason threw 2 ft to the left on that INT, if Levi Wallace could tackle, if Pat P could tackle, if Minkah could tackle?! Let's be honest, it was a lot closer than most of the country expected. The final score both does and doesn't tell the whole tale.

Also, we hardly got any calls by the refs. The Pat F one was pretty key, but after that they seemed to ignore defensive holding by the Bills and offensive holding against Highsmith. Klein kept grabbing people downfield and Romo and Nance were just touting how great a job he was doing. They even said how amazing it was that he kept up with Warren when he was grabbing his back with 2 hands while he tried to run away.

We lost, and the 21-0 start definitely doomed us, but it wasn't over over until the late 4th and that was nice to see.

If Mike steps down I hope he makes that decision this week. I’d rather he comeback with a legit OC if he isn’t burnt out

It was within 7 in the 4th quarter, if we'd had any luck at all this game could have been ours. If Pickens doesn't drop the fumble, if Mason threw 2 ft to the left on that INT, if Levi Wallace could tackle, if Pat P could tackle, if Minkah could tackle?! Let's be honest, it was a lot closer than most of the country expected. The final score both does and doesn't tell the whole tale.

Also, we hardly got any calls by the refs. The Pat F one was pretty key, but after that they seemed to ignore defensive holding by the Bills and offensive holding against Highsmith. Klein kept grabbing people downfield and Romo and Nance were just touting how great a job he was doing. They even said how amazing it was that he kept up with Warren when he was grabbing his back with 2 hands while he tried to run away.

We lost, and the 21-0 start definitely doomed us, but it wasn't over over until the late 4th and that was nice to see.
Yeah I think my post was when they were getting blown out early. The game turned with the blocked kick and they showed a lot of grit after that. Outcome still ended up the same. It would be nice to get a playoff win.

Users who are viewing this thread