What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Crimson Tide..Roll Lions: Draft day! (29 Viewers)

Moseley may never regain his twitch & explosive athleticism. CD3 might have been a poor scheme fit for the Bucs evolving scheme, or (as we often see with CBs) he’s not as good as he once was bc of the multitude of injuries. Maybe he bounces back but TB was pretty pleased to move on from his 3-yr, $44M deal (Sutton’s deal was 3/$33M.)

I def think Plan A last year was Emmanuel would be the CB1 taking the top WR and Cam would be a perfectly capable CB2. But he was horrific trying to stay with elite WRs.

Probably still need a CB at 29 or 61 (or better yet trade up.) Band aids (mid-year CB signings) or mid/late round corners are unlikely to solve the talent issue.

@spotrac

Releasing CB Cam Sutton

Outright Release
Lions take on $19.2M of dead cap, forfeiting $6.54M of cap space.

Post 6/1 Release
Lions carry his $12.6M cap into June, then take on dead hits of:

2024: $12.6M ($10.5M cash)
2025: $6.54M

@spotrac
·
10m

Based on pending investigations, the Lions will almost certainly be looking to void the $10.5M salary guarantee, and are also eligible to attempt to recoup $8.72M of Cam Sutton's $10.9M signing bonus.

All of that is TBD for now however.

@spotrac

Releasing CB Cam Sutton

Outright Release
Lions take on $19.2M of dead cap, forfeiting $6.54M of cap space.

Post 6/1 Release
Lions carry his $12.6M cap into June, then take on dead hits of:

2024: $12.6M ($10.5M cash)
2025: $6.54M

@spotrac
·
10m

Based on pending investigations, the Lions will almost certainly be looking to void the $10.5M salary guarantee, and are also eligible to attempt to recoup $8.72M of Cam Sutton's $10.9M signing bonus.

All of that is TBD for now however.

The Lions would have been smarter to wait for the NFL to put Sutton on the Exempt List. That triggers the Lions to be able to void the salary. Now they are kind of at the mercy of the NFL. I am sure the organization just wanted him gone, but there is safety in following the process. I assume they did talk to the NFL before acting.

[PFT] Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Lions did indeed invalidate Sutton’s guaranteed salary for 2024 before releasing him.

They are still on the hook for the signing bonus this season; they might be able to sue him to get it back but it will likely not go through until next season bc they have to let the case go through the criminal justice system.

Info seems to keep coming out by the minute lol. We live in the age of certainty & I keep seeing misinformation on X. Bottom
line is it’s a normal cut until the court case settles. Absolutely no upside to waiting to do this.

Lions are designating him as a Post-June 1 cut to spread the cap hit across 2 seasons.

They will still carry his $12.6M cap hit into June, then take on dead cap hits of $2.18M in 2024 and $6.54M in 2025.

What a total mess of a situation. It is good the Lions were able to invalidate the remaining of the Contract before the league officially acted.. IMHO, it would be wrong to go after the signing bonus. The way Sutton's contract was structured, he took a minimal salary in 2023 to reduce his salary cap it and got the signing bonus in lieu of a big salary....so the bonus was essentially his 2023 salary. As long as the Lions are no longer on the hook for the last two years of salary and those cap hits eventually come off, it is good.

Per yardbarker:

"Tennessee is finalizing a deal that will send Kansas City a 2025 third-round pick and will swap the teams’ seventh-round picks in the upcoming 2024 NFL Draft in order to acquire L’Jarius Sneed.

Signing Sneed to what Jordan Schultz of Bleacher Report tells us will be a four-year, $76M contract extension. If those terms are correct, his new deal would match recently extended Bears cornerback Jaylon Johnson‘s in length and overall value. The main difference that Schultz gives us is that while Johnson’s deal included $51.4M of guarantees, Sneed’s will have $55M of guaranteed money."

Per yardbarker:

"Tennessee is finalizing a deal that will send Kansas City a 2025 third-round pick and will swap the teams’ seventh-round picks in the upcoming 2024 NFL Draft in order to acquire L’Jarius Sneed.

Signing Sneed to what Jordan Schultz of Bleacher Report tells us will be a four-year, $76M contract extension. If those terms
Iare correct, his new deal would match recently extended Bears cornerback Jaylon Johnson‘s in length and overall value. The main difference that Schultz gives us is that while Johnson’s deal included $51.4M of guarantees, Sneed’s will have $55M of guaranteed money."

I wasn't a fan of thr Davis signing. Now I hate it.

🚨🚨BREAKING: #Lions Ford Field will remained closed until the end of the month following a partially eaten corpse being found in the facilities water filtration system Friday night. 🤯🤯🤯

This is the second weekend in a row a body had been found on the premises and has forced the Detroit Police Department to launch an investigation into the mysterious incident.
Not to make light of a horrible story, but “partially eaten?” Were the kneecaps bitten off?

ETA: Just realized that’s a parody account. Carry on

🚨🚨BREAKING: #Lions Ford Field will remained closed until the end of the month following a partially eaten corpse being found in the facilities water filtration system Friday night. 🤯🤯🤯

This is the second weekend in a row a body had been found on the premises and has forced the Detroit Police Department to launch an investigation into the mysterious incident.
Not to make light of a horrible story, but “partially eaten?” Were the kneecaps bitten off?

ETA: Just realized that’s a parody account. Carry on
For a second I thought Dan Campbell finally got that live lion mascot he's been hinting at. 🦁

Have they found Sutton yet? Him fleeing the police over a domestic violence complaint has to be the strangest part of the story.

Have they found Sutton yet? Him fleeing the police over a domestic violence complaint has to be the strangest part of the story.
Part of me wonders if he is ok. I mean the domestic violence is bad but he didn't kill someone, it's not like he's facing life in prison. It seems like with a good lawyer he could probably face minimal consequences. It seems like a major overreaction to just up and disappear.

Part of me wonders if he is ok. I mean the domestic violence is bad but he didn't kill someone, it's not like he's facing life in prison. It seems like with a good lawyer he could probably face minimal consequences. It seems like a major overreaction to just up and disappear.

There are rumors that this girl has some pretty shady relatives who might be capable of something drastic. Having the future you worked so hard for has to also be devasting and he could have been suicidal. It is very difficult to stay off the grid for this long. The safety of Cam is a real concern. Tragic situation for everyone involved. Hopefully he is OK and is able to work through all this.

The job of the GM is much more complex then just looking at the list of available free agents and picking which ones you like. You are competing against 31 other teams over a hundred different players. Just because player X gets traded for this pick and this amount of money does not mean that player was interested in signing here. You might have engaged that player a few days before and they wanted 25 percent more or the team wanted a pick one or two rounds higher than they settled upon later. So list of circumstances and considerations is long.

- was your timing right at getting them at the lowest price when you engaged them.
- if you miss out on this player, will that other player still be available.
- does the player really want to come here.
- how does the long term commitment impact extending other players.
- is that player a good fit for our culture and scheme.
- how healthy are they really.

There are so many different variables that a GM must be mindful of. It is impossible to be a perfect GM because you are dealing with a bunch of complex variables including human behavior. Brad has worked his butt off shaking down every branch looking to do the most with his resources. And he has done an amazing job that has exceeded the expectation of every Lions fan. I completely trust Brad Holmes to do an amazing job and refuse to second guess him or Dan Campbell with the advantage of hindsight.

Now go kill the draft once again!

Last edited:

There are rumors that this girl has some pretty shady relatives who might be capable of something drastic. Having the future you worked so hard for has to also be devasting and he could have been suicidal. It is very difficult to stay off the grid for this long. The safety of Cam is a real concern. Tragic situation for everyone involved. Hopefully he is OK and is able to work through all this.
I generally find it hard to muster up much sympathy for a wife beater, but it would be sad if this went from a domestic abuse situation — which is plenty tragic in its own right — to something darker. I hope he turns himself in, gets help, and turns his life around.

(And yes, I know he’s not married to the woman, but “baby mama beater” sounds weird)

Per yardbarker:

Signing Sneed to what Jordan Schultz of Bleacher Report tells us will be a four-year, $76M contract extension. If those terms
Iare correct, his new deal would match recently extended Bears cornerback Jaylon Johnson‘s in length and overall value. The main difference that Schultz gives us is that while Johnson’s deal included $51.4M of guarantees, Sneed’s will have $55M of guaranteed money."

Yep. But don't you dare bash Holmes. Sneed for a 3rd is far better than Davis for a 3rd.

Per yardbarker:

Yep. But don't you dare bash Holmes. Sneed for a 3rd is far better than Davis for a 3rd.
You forgot the difference in contracts. 4 years and 76 million.

Davis will be a 9.8 million dollar cap hit this year.

Last edited:
It's not just who the better player is. It's Davis for 1/14 or Sneed for 4/76.

I don't love giving up a 3rd for a 1-year rental of Davis, but a long-term deal for Sneed could mean no long-term deal for one of Goff, Sewell, or St. Brown.

Teams make it work. The cap goes.up every year, supposed Goff is taking a discount. I am not the biggest fan of Snead, but he is a lot better than Davis and we have no idea on the contract differences yet. The Lions may resign Davis and I don't know the guarantees of Sneads deal, but it isn't a 4 year deal.

I don't love giving up a 3rd for a 1-year rental of Davis, but a long-term deal for Sneed could mean no long-term deal for one of Goff, Sewell, or St. Brown.

Teams make it work. The cap goes.up every year, supposed Goff is taking a discount. I am not the biggest fan of Snead, but he is a lot better than Davis and we have no idea on the contract differences yet. The Lions may resign Davis and I don't know the guarantees of Sneads deal, but it isn't a 4 year deal.
55 million guaranteed.

55 million guaranteed.

Thanks, so pretty much 3 years guaranteed.

55 million guaranteed.

Oh God, if only you were running the team the Lions might be a contender. Instead we are stuck with Holmes making idiotic moves. Holmes needs to become a better fortune teller so he knows what some guy 3 weeks later might be willing to sign for and assume he will accept the Lions offer instead of someone else's. It is not like Holmes is trying to prepare for the draft, extend other players, knocking on the door of 31 other teams, all while trying to figure out how to be fill out a complete rooster, plan for future years and stay under the salary cap.

55 million guaranteed.

Oh God, if only you were running the team the Lions might be a contender. Instead we are stuck with Holmes making idiotic moves. Holmes needs to become a better fortune teller so he knows what some guy 3 weeks later might be willing to sign for and assume he will accept the Lions offer instead of someone else's. It is not like Holmes is trying to prepare for the draft, extend other players, knocking on the door of 31 other teams, all while trying to figure out how to be fill out a complete rooster, plan for future years and stay under the salary cap.

Sorry I forgot we can't have opinions around here. All glory be to Brad, he can do no wrong.

Sorry I forgot we can't have opinions around here. All glory be to Brad, he can do no wrong.

Having an opinion is fine, being unfairly critical based upon hindsight is asinine. It is easy to look back at the stock market and say you should have bought at the low of $20 and sold at the peak of $50. But in real-time when making decisions you have no clue that was going to be the low and that was going to be the high.

In reality, I am certain that Brad reached out to KC and Sneed. And KC was probably saying they want a 1st and Sneed was saying he wants 4 for $88 million. Brad could have counter for a 2nd and 3 for $60 million and was rejected. Sneed might have said he does not want to go to Detroit. Brad has to believe they are stuck at those prices, so he moved on and signed Davis for a 1 year $14 million contract. And then the market dries up and KC and Sneed settle for less than what they could have gotten earlier.

Point is, anyone can look back with hindsight and cherry pick the best deals. The Sneed deal was probably not as good as it was when Brad made his inquiries, so he moved on. Brad has to fill a position, and he reaches the best deal he could find before he misses out on everyone.. Using hindsight to judge is ridiculous. Real time decisions are hard and require skill and luck. Hindsight, not so much.

Having an opinion is fine, being unfairly critical based upon hindsight is asinine. It is easy to look back at the stock market and say you should have bought at the low of $20 and sold at the peak of $50. But in real-time when making decisions you have no clue that was going to be the low and that was going to be the high.

In reality, I am certain that Brad reached out to KC and Sneed. And KC was probably saying they want a 1st and Sneed was saying he wants 4 for $88 million. Brad could have counter for a 2nd and 3 for $60 million and was rejected. Sneed might have said he does not want to go to Detroit. Brad has to believe they are stuck at those prices, so he moved on and signed Davis for a 1 year $14 million contract. And then the market dries up and KC and Sneed settle for less than what they could have gotten earlier.

Point is, anyone can look back with hindsight and cherry pick the best deals. The Sneed deal was probably not as good as it was when Brad made his inquiries, so he moved on. Brad has to fill a position, and he reaches the best deal he could find before he misses out on everyone.. Using hindsight to judge is ridiculous. Real time decisions are hard and require skill and luck. Hindsight, not so much.

I didn't do any of that. Try reading what I wrote instead of getting upset because I dare disagree with Holmes.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson leaving so soon is a bit surprising.

I thought that maybe, ya know, he was all about it here (ski mask BS). He wasn’t worth the ~33mil he got to go back to Philly though.

I would rather have CJGJ and my 3rd round pick at 33 million for 3 years then Davis and 2 sixth round picks for one year.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson leaving so soon is a bit surprising.

I thought that maybe, ya know, he was all about it here (ski mask BS). He wasn’t worth the ~33mil he got to go back to Philly though.

I would rather have CJGJ and my 3rd round pick at 33 million for 3 years then Davis and 2 sixth round picks for one year.

Davis fills a glaring need of a guy who can cover a top WR. While we have very good safeties. This was not a close call.

Davis hasn't been very good in a few years. His last really good year was when the Bucs won it all with Brady and a great defensive line.

Per yardbarker:

Someone posted that Davis is a good press corner which the Buc’s got away from due to the lack of generating pressure. I trust our staff will put him in positions that allow him to rely on his strengths. I also think our pass rush will be better this year. I have not agreed with every one of Brad’s moves in the past, but more often than not he has proved me wrong.

Our cap situation gets quite a bit tighter in the near future with Goff, ARSB, Sewell, Hutchinson coming up on big time extensions. At minimum, the Davis signing fills a one year hole with a veteran presence who can can help groom some younger bodies at the position. I don’t love that if the case, but it is a fairly cost effective way to add a guy who has talent and experience on a roster that is built to win today.

55 million guaranteed.

Unfortunately, this is what it has become.
I know many around here hate Valenti, but he is right about how we have become as a sports town. We settle for good enough.
Other teams absolutely manage the cap each and every year. But not us. We need to be cautious and safe. Need to have money set aside.

It is 100% ok to support Brad and what he's done AND question some of his moves.

Per yardbarker:

You forgot the difference in contracts. 4 years and 76 million.

Davis will be a 9.8 million dollar cap hit this year.
No I didn't.

I would absolutely take one of the best shutdown MAN corners in the NFL over a primarily ZONE CB who has declined each year over the past three years.

Now we are settling? The Lions were the worst run organization in sports. Sheila took over, had a vision, and managed to hire two guys who have turned into two of the very best. They completely gutted the team and even after an outstanding draft had what was universally considered the worst roster in all of football year one. Two year later we have what is considered the second-best roster in the NFL.

There is not one person in football who is more dedicated to putting the best football team on the field and winning than Brad and Dan. The criticism is like someone looking at a Picasso and complaining how unrealistic it looks, and not have any idea how much work and genius went into it. They have a plan and vision and are fully sticking to it. They have 100-percent fully earned our respect and support. I have complete confidence Brad thought all these decisions through thoroughly and made the best decision for the team with the knowledge and goals he has in mind.

I would absolutely take one of the best shutdown MAN corners in the NFL over a primarily ZONE CB who has declined each year over the past three years.
I'd much rather have Davis for one year than Snead for 4 years @ $19 million per season, especially given the issues with his knee. In addition, I'm always leery about someone who has one great year and it's in a contract year.

Last edited:
Absolutely in position to do about anything with that 1st pick
Speaking of which how is our FBG draft GM leaning today? Looks like you will be up at #29 sometime tonight.
Holmes did such a good job that the Lions are free to go whichever direction they want. A true BPA situation here. In a real draft I would maybe look to move back but what is the fun in that for this exercise? I think OL, DL and Secondary make the most sense WR is still kind of thin as well.

Absolutely in position to do about anything with that 1st pick
Speaking of which how is our FBG draft GM leaning today? Looks like you will be up at #29 sometime tonight.
Holmes did such a good job that the Lions are free to go whichever direction they want. A true BPA situation here. In a real draft I would maybe look to move back but what is the fun in that for this exercise? I think OL, DL and Secondary make the most sense WR is still kind of thin as well.

Wiggins yo 😎

Users who are viewing this thread