What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Crimson Tide..Roll Lions: Draft day! (61 Viewers)

Futz said:
Ebron has physical gifts but I do tend to agree that at this stage of his career, he's a losing type of player. 3rd and 2 and he runs a 0 yard route and gets tackled immediately at a pivotal point of the game. He also heard footsteps and dropped another important 3rd down play. He reminds me so much of Vernon Davis it's scary. He flashes but doesn't make the simple yet winning plays in a game. You just hope he puts it all together at one point but it may not be here.

I don't think you see any of the top QBs sitting when they are in a 2 score or less deficit. Stranger things have happened. This team obviously misses Theo. He's the chain mover. 
You mean Vernon Davis at the beginning of his career right? That guy was awesome after Singeltary jumped all over him. The year Crabtree got hurt Davis was awesome, I remember him having some monster games in the playoffs too. I think one of the games he caught the game winning touchdown against the Saints.

You mean Vernon Davis at the beginning of his career right? That guy was awesome after Singeltary jumped all over him. The year Crabtree got hurt Davis was awesome, I remember him having some monster games in the playoffs too. I think one of the games he caught the game winning touchdown against the Saints.
Exactly. Early draft picks that both came in with an entitled attitude. Vernon at least put it together for a nice stretch. I'm not convinced that Ebron ever will.

Exactly. Early draft picks that both came in with an entitled attitude. Vernon at least put it together for a nice stretch. I'm not convinced that Ebron ever will.
Yeah, maybe Caldwell needs to pull his pants down at practice or kick Ebron out of practice like good ole Mike did.

I wish Ebron reminded me of Davis.   Davis started slow as a reciever but he was always a tough player and a willing blocker.  Ebron is a candy ### when lined up tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ebron is no Vernon Davis. He's not Jimmy Graham. He's not even Jared Cook yet. On paper he has it all, but it almost never translates to the field. Meanwhile nobody had to wait 3 years to see how awesome OBJ could become. Ebron doesn't have it and meanwhile people keep making excuses for a top 10 draft pick that can't catch. 

Ebron is no Vernon Davis. He's not Jimmy Graham. He's not even Jared Cook yet. On paper he has it all, but it almost never translates to the field. Meanwhile nobody had to wait 3 years to see how awesome OBJ could become. Ebron doesn't have it and meanwhile people keep making excuses for a top 10 draft pick that can't catch. 
I hated the Ebron pick as much as everyone else, but we have no idea if OBJ would be what he is now here in Detroit. (Although I think he would still be a good receiver, just maybe not a top 2 or 3 receiver.)  I don't know why people keep quoting me on the Vernon Davis thing. I said early in his career, because Davis sucked early, and so does Ebron.

Da Guru said:
Eric Ebron is worthless...the guy has some skill but he can`t block at all and he is a losing type of player.  If you watched the game close today not only did he have another huge drop but he gives up on plays and was blown up at the line 4-5 times when a decent block could have netted some positive yards.

Why was Stafford still throwing and running from the Lion 30 with 20 seconds left down by 2 scores? That late hit could have taken him out. Stafford is tough as nails though...
I held onto hope for him but finally have come around - it's not lack of talent, it's heart.

my pick was Aaron Donald in that draft.  OBJ was 2nd on my list when they were OTC.

just need to find a way to win week 17.  its was always coming down to that
That is true, but if they found a way to win this week or next they would still probably get into the playoffs at 10 - 6 even if they lost to Green Bay. This week looked like the more winnable game.

I hated the Ebron pick as much as everyone else, but we have no idea if OBJ would be what he is now here in Detroit. (Although I think he would still be a good receiver, just maybe not a top 2 or 3 receiver.)  I don't know why people keep quoting me on the Vernon Davis thing. I said early in his career, because Davis sucked early, and so does Ebron.
I am not saying the Lions should have drafted OBJ in hindsight. I am just repeating that Ebron was a horrible pick. And I don't get how scouts and experts rank guys like Ebron so highly when they are deficient in basic skills that any top 10 player should already possess. He is a move TE that can't catch or block, yet he goes top 10. How does that happen? And it happens every year.

I am not saying the Lions should have drafted OBJ in hindsight. I am just repeating that Ebron was a horrible pick. And I don't get how scouts and experts rank guys like Ebron so highly when they are deficient in basic skills that any top 10 player should already possess. He is a move TE that can't catch or block, yet he goes top 10. How does that happen? And it happens every year.
Mayhew...

The Lions played a solid road game against a very good team. But you cannot win on the road making mistakes. The Zenner fumble was a game changer. Then they could not recover the Giants fumble in the end zone. The run game was non-existent and I place most of the blame on atrocious run blocking.

Despite all that, they still had a chance to win but could not get it done. 

It looks like the Green Bay game will decide the division. 

lol at the title change. superbowl to collapse. good humor. I am hoping I don't have to eat my sock but I still think you win the division. 
Pretty sure it will come down to the last game vs Green Bay as I don`t seem them winning at Dallas.    Win and the Lions are in, lose and they may be out of the playoffs so it will be like a playoff game.

Swaggy got 12 yards on his first carry. He and Zenner went 16-31 thereafter. The ZZ fumble was obviously a huge deflator. You just cannot make a turnover inside the 5. Right before he gets hit there's daylight between the ball & his body - you gotta be kidding me. 

Asa Jackson was horrible. Really jammed them up once Slay went out. Could have used Barnes (20-20 hindsight.)

O-line stunk. That was Decker's worst game since September, 4 hurries & a sack. Any attempt at running the ball was a wasted down, RBs getting hit it the backfield all day. 11 hurries is unacceptable. 

Another crucial third down drop by Ebron. I got nothing. At some point we'll draft a blocking TE & he'll fade into obscurity. Thought he would progress more this year but he's JAG. A guy with a crappy attitude who chokes under pressure & gives up on plays.

D-line played well. A'Shawn Robinson is gonna be a star. Ansah when healthy (& he's not) is a load. Really good depth in the rotation this year.

Levy & Whitehead were all over the field. So good to see Dre playing at a high level again. Probably the best game this group has had this year.

Special Teams was good again but Roberts has got to field that line drive they downed at the 2 (the punt before that to the 4 was just a great rugby kick by Wing.) Ansah had just gotten a sack & it killles any momentum.

Turn the page.

Dallas is beatable.

The Lions played a solid road game against a very good team. But you cannot win on the road making mistakes. The Zenner fumble was a game changer. Then they could not recover the Giants fumble in the end zone. The run game was non-existent and I place most of the blame on atrocious run blocking.

Despite all that, they still had a chance to win but could not get it done. 

It looks like the Green Bay game will decide the division. 
Yes to all. The 2 fumbles going the wrong way kept the game just out of reach of another miracle. As others have noted, Theo is needed back if they are going to win against a good defense. Dallas is ranked just behind NYG for PPG, Green Bay much further down the chart.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/position/defense

Washington loses so the Lions could back in even if they lose the last two. Would be a road game in Seattle or Dallas though.

Slay might be done with another hammy injury so that hurts.

Washington loses so the Lions could back in even if they lose the last two. Would be a road game in Seattle or Dallas though.
How could their wildcard matchup be in Seattle/Dallas? Would have to be GB/Atlanta/TB, since those are the teams most likely to get the 3 seed.

All these playoff scenarios are making my head spin......ATL,NO,CHI win and we're in or DET win and either GB or TB lose and we're in.  I'd prefer to not have the deciding game be against GB, so someone make either of these happen this weekend.  

Thanks

Mentioned this earlier, but the GB game is almost certain to be flexed to SNF. For one thing, if Green Bay beats Minnesota, Week 17 will be for the division regardless of what Detroit does vs Dallas on MNF. That will allow them to make the announcement during halftime of the Hou-Cinci game. Second, the only other division where the top two teams are playing in Week 17 is the AFC South, and you know the NFL will do whatever it can to avoid putting Hou-Tenn in primetime (plus Indy could still be in the mix). Finally, even if both Detroit and GB have clinched playoff spots and Hou-Tenn is for all the marbles, the league established two years ago that it will choose a better match-up over a true elimination game, flexing Cinci-Pitt over Carolina-Atlanta. (They similarly flexed GB-Minn last year, but in that case they didn't have a choice, since that was the only game with playoff implications for both teams.)

Killing the Pro Bowl alternate game.

-Stafford

-Slay

-Prater

-Martin
Dak over Stafford was a reach and just an NFL attempt to get new stars to the fore front ASAP.

I can't begin to explain how Martin didn't get the nod. What kind of year did that Ram's kicker have?! Geesh. What else could he do? Tremendous season.

My optimism is not very high again this week. This is a story of motivation against Dallas. They will be motivated (#1 seed) and at home, we probably won't be (little incentive until GB).

Even if Riddick and Swanson are healthy enough to play, sit them until week 17. You need to be fully locked and loaded for that game.

24-13. Dallas

My optimism is not very high again this week. This is a story of motivation against Dallas. They will be motivated (#1 seed) and at home, we probably won't be (little incentive until GB).

Even if Riddick and Swanson are healthy enough to play, sit them until week 17. You need to be fully locked and loaded for that game.

24-13. Dallas
If G.B. and Detroit go into the final weekend tied in record Green Bay can Advance with a tie on better head to head record.  If Detroit goes in with a better record the Packers must win.  Or at least that is my belief.  Not a common scenario, but Detroit does have something to play for, not much, but something.

If G.B. and Detroit go into the final weekend tied in record Green Bay can Advance with a tie on better head to head record.  If Detroit goes in with a better record the Packers must win.  Or at least that is my belief.  Not a common scenario, but Detroit does have something to play for, not much, but something.
If that's true, why not rest Stafford against Dallas?  Treat it like a preseason game.  

Dak over Stafford was a reach and just an NFL attempt to get new stars to the fore front ASAP.

I can't begin to explain how Martin didn't get the nod. What kind of year did that Ram's kicker have?! Geesh. What else could he do? Tremendous season.
We're actually in a golden age for punters the last 8 seasons or so. Martin's year is top 20 all-time, but in YPP he's third and the guy who made the Pro Bowl for the NFC is the only other punter with a better net average. But Sam Martin has been an incredibly effective weapon for a team that is not all that talented.

I guess you can make the argument of Bryant over Prater by a slim margin, but I cannot imagine anyone had more clutch kicks. And he's killing it from over 50, 6/6.

Slay has missed 2-1/2 games and about to miss more. Statistically, Stafford is like 5th to 7th in the NFC for most major passing stats, so no issue there for me. He means everything to this team, but Pro Bowl isn't necessarily about MVP (and the way guys repeat, it's often not about current performance but rather sustained perception.) Dak over Matthew is about the same as rookie Cam getting the nod over Stafford's most prolific year (& I think later he was added after all.)

If that's true, why not rest Stafford against Dallas?  Treat it like a preseason game.  
Also not clear what the wildcard implications will be. Lions may still be in play for No. 6 seed.

A few years ago, Dallas found itself in a similar situation. Their Week 16 game started at 4:00, and a few minutes in the Giants won and they knew they would be playing them for the division the following week regardless of what they did. Which might not have affected their lineup choices, but when Romo bruised his hand on the second play of the game, they took him out since there was nothing to play for, screwing over fantasy owners across the country (not that I'm still bitter or anything).

My guess is if the game is truly irrelevant, they'll still play their starters, but pull them if there is even a hint of an injury, or if the game gets out of hand.

Because it hurts them slightly against green Bay, should green Bay win two days earlier.  It also could effect playoff seeding, and it is possible that with a win they could clinch.  Now playing late, as they do, they will have a better handle on all of those scenarios, but as of the way things stand right now they have much to play for.

Alright. Flight and hotel booked for the weekend of the 8th. All the hotels near the stadium are sold out, but I got the Marriott at the Renaissance Center for about a million dollars.

I get in Thursday and leave Monday. If there's a home game, I'll plan to pony up another million bucks for a ticket. If not, I'll find a good sports bar downtown to watch the game. If there's no playoff game, I'll visit my old hoods and drink a lot.

Go Lions!

kutta said:
Alright. Flight and hotel booked for the weekend of the 8th. All the hotels near the stadium are sold out, but I got the Marriott at the Renaissance Center for about a million dollars.

I get in Thursday and leave Monday. If there's a home game, I'll plan to pony up another million bucks for a ticket. If not, I'll find a good sports bar downtown to watch the game. If there's no playoff game, I'll visit my old hoods and drink a lot.

Go Lions!
I'm definitely hitting Stubhub Jan 2nd.  Hopefully not too expensive. 

You may want to book a room for the next weekend, as well, just in case SF/ARI help out. 

Caldwell gave his standard answer in today's presser:

"Check the report"

Haven't seen the practice report yet.
Running back Theo Riddick (wrist), center Travis Swanson (brain) and defensive tackle Khyri Thornton also missed practice, though Riddick was working on the side with a trainer and could be nearing a return. He's missed two games with a wrist injury, and his absence has been notable in Detroit's lackluster run game.

"Theo is obviously a playmaker for us, a guy that's really tough to bring down in space not only in the run game but in the pass game," quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "(He's) a smart guy in protection. He's a really good NFL back, and really special out of the backfield. That's obviously one thing there, but he's got a great mentality on game day too. When he's not out there you can notice it, he's a guy that loves to play, loves to have a bunch of fun while he's playing so I know it's tough for him in the last couple games."

Good result tonight. Giants loss means Cowboys have nothing to play for on MNF. Probably won't matter in terms of NFC North title, but if Detroit wins they're in better position for a wildcard.

Theo not at practice today. Couldn't find info on Slay but he's not likely to play Monday.

Swanson out but no consideration being giving to shutting him down.

Detroit is theoretically in position to win out and get the No. 2 seed but Atlanta would have to lose to a terrible SF team. Most likely scenario is the Lions lose out and whether they slide into the playoffs depends upon the Redskins losing.  

Who knows, maybe the Lions can beat an unmotivated Ciwboy team.  I have little confidence in them beating the Pack in a critical game.  At least the season has been entertaining. 

Detroit is theoretically in position to win out and get the No. 2 seed but Atlanta would have to lose to a terrible SF team. Most likely scenario is the Lions lose out and whether they slide into the playoffs depends upon the Redskins losing.  

Who knows, maybe the Lions can beat an unmotivated Ciwboy team.  I have little confidence in them beating the Pack in a critical game.  At least the season has been entertaining. 
ATL plays NO bruh

Lions are 9-1 when scoring more than 12 points. The loss was to the Packers in Green Bay. The Packers are hot but they have not played nearly as well on the road as they have at home. 

Any chance the Cowboys lay down tomorrow and pull their starters early?  I know they said they would not but after seeing the titans and Raiders injuries and especially considering how qb injury killed the Cowboys last year, does anyone think they rethink this position?  

Users who are viewing this thread