What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Lets get ready for camp! (6 Viewers)

Some random Lions PFF stats:

- Mahomes was the least blitzed QB in the NFL in week 1

- Goff had 2nd highest passer rating when not blitzed (119.2)

- PFF credited Goff with 2 dropped passes by receivers, Mahomes w/ 3

- Goff had most batted passes at the line (3)

- Mahomes pressured 20x (6th most) vs Goff 10x (23rd)

- Mahomes had highest "time to throw" in NFL at 3.39 sec (likely due to extending the play. Goff 3rd lowest at 2.34 sec

- Sam LaPorta caught all 5 of his targets

- LaPorta tied for third most rec (5)by a TE -- most rec by any of the rookie TEs

- LaPorta lined up wide 13 times, 2nd most in NFL for TE behind only Chiefs TE Noah Gray

- LaPorta 2nd highest pass block grade for TEs in NFL (80.4 on 5 snaps)

- Gibbs 5th best RB rush per carry average at 6.0 (min 20% of rush att)

- Gibbs 3rd highest graded RB

- Marvin Jones was second lowest graded WR, only Toney graded worse in NFL

- Halapoulivaati Vaitai was the 2nd highest O-linemen overall graded (88.4)

- Barnes was the 4th highest graded (90.6) LB for run defense

- Onwuzurike had 2 total pressures on 14 pass rush snaps

- Hutch had 7 total pressures, the 3 ahead of him had 8 (one of those 3 was DT Jalen Carter)

- Jerry Jacobs had 3 missed tackles -- tied for 3rd most (leaders had 4)

- Sutton allowed 2 catches for 39 yards on 5 targets

- Brian Branch lined up in the slot 37 times, 6 in the box, 1 out wide, 0 deep

- Branch had the 3rd highest zone coverage grade (85.0) of all CBs

- Kerby Joseph lined up in the slot 21 times, 22 in the box, 1 out wide, 19 deep

- Gardner-Johnson lined up in the slot 11 times, 12 in the box, 4 out wide, 38 deep

- Gardner-Johnson had 2 PBUs. Tied for most by a safety.

- Gardner-Johnson 6th highest run defense grade for all safeties. Run-stop % was 3rd highest

Last edited:
Swift and Hock both showed out tonight.

Eagles ran Swift into the ground.
Now need to see if he holds up.

I'm pretty happy with what we have moved on to at HB & TE

no ill will toward former Lions but tbh don't care one way or another, just someone on another team

got value back, move forward

looking forward to hearing the crowd on the radio broadcast this weekend through the NFL app

should be a fun time

always good when the division champ starts 0-2

GB is pretty banged up going into Atlanta sans Jones & Watson

Bears are a magical disaster

Really unfortunate Emmanuel Moseley is dealing with a hamstring now. We knew he wouldn’t be ready Week 1; he had a second cleanup procedure in early July which is why didn’t require him to report to the start of TC. First practice was after the 3rd X game, but they didn’t want to put him on the PUP bc his timeline was within the first 4 games.

Hindsight is 20-20, but that development cost Starling Thomas V the last CB roster spot. Cards claimed him, but of course he was a healthy scratch Wk 1. We could use his speed especially with Khalil Dorsey now being out. Water under the bridge.

Expectations.

Boy, it’s different this year, eh? All of a sudden we have entirely new dynamics. Stay humble, keep ‘em on an even keel. Just won the most significant victory for the franchise in 30+ years? Cool, back to work bc the next team we play has beaten us two straight years and hung 48 on us in Ford Field.

Not being able to get off the field even once [in last year’s Seahawks game] was why we didn’t go to the playoffs. Let the revenge tour begin.

Swift and Hock both showed out tonight.

Eagles ran Swift into the ground.
Now need to see if he holds up.

Lions were never going to pay Hock. LaPorta will be as good for pennies on the dollar for a few years. That is what this game is about.

Swift is a talented RB so no surprise at having a career day with a good team. I still wish they would have traded Swift to an AFC team and not the defending NFC champs.

Really unfortunate Emmanuel Moseley is dealing with a hamstring now. We knew he wouldn’t be ready Week 1; he had a second cleanup procedure in early July which is why didn’t require him to report to the start of TC. First practice was after the 3rd X game, but they didn’t want to put him on the PUP bc his timeline was within the first 4 games.

Hindsight is 20-20, but that development cost Starling Thomas V the last CB roster spot. Cards claimed him, but of course he was a healthy scratch Wk 1. We could use his speed especially with Khalil Dorsey now being out. Water under the bridge.

Expectations.

Boy, it’s different this year, eh? All of a sudden we have entirely new dynamics. Stay humble, keep ‘em on an even keel. Just won the most significant victory for the franchise in 30+ years? Cool, back to work bc the next team we play has beaten us two straight years and hung 48 on us in Ford Field.

Not being able to get off the field even once [in last year’s Seahawks game] was why we didn’t go to the playoffs. Let the revenge tour begin.
Not getting off the field was the theme for the Philly, Seattle, Miami and last quarter of the Minnesota losses and throw In Carolina.

Expectations.

Not getting off the field was the theme for the Philly, Seattle, Miami and last quarter of the Minnesota losses and throw In Carolina.

AIN’T THE SAME DETROIT!

- Ceedy Gardner -Johnson

MCDC Friday Presser

Taylor Decker is "less than questionable" and only has "an outside shot" for the game on Sunday. Wouldn't say what the lineup will be, they're looking a different combinations depending if they put Glasgow at RG with Vitai at RT or Nelson at RT. Sounds like Penei will be the LT if 68 is out.

Josh Paschal also had an "episode" at practice yesterday and won't go today. He said it's not serious, but he could be out for a bit.

On Ben Johnson: "He’s such a chess player...he's got answer for all of it in real time.... Ben’s outstanding. He’s doing a hell of a job. And his own worst critic, too."

Joked with C.J. Gardner-Johnson on asking fans to wear blue ski masks saying, "just remember we've got kids coming to this game" and "let's keep it somewhat friendly here" for the home-opener Sunday.

Said he expects Ford Field to be louder on Sunday than it was at Arrowhead on Thursday.

EDIT
Here's the quote:

“We’ve worked a couple of different combinations,” Campbell detailed. “We’ve really done three different things. We’ve kept Sewell over there (at RT). We’ve had (Halapoulivaati) Vaitai move (to LT). We’ve moved Sewell (to LT). We’ve had Vaitai out (at RT), (Graham) Glasgow in (at RG). So we’re going to continue messing with that today, and then we’ll see. The beauty is we’ve got options we feel pretty good about. Certainly, Nelson’s involved in all that as well.”

Based on that:

Scenario 172 Vaitai73 Jackson77 Ragnow60 Glasgow58 Sewell
Scenario 258 Sewell73 Jackson77 Ragnow60 Glasgow72 Vaitai
Scenario 358 Sewell73 Jackson77 Ragnow72 Vaitai67 Nelson

Based off TC and joint practices, I think they view Glasgow as their 6th starter and Nelson was pretty underwhelming this summer. I think Scenario 1 or 2 is most likely.

Last edited:

Expectations.

AIN’T THE SAME DETROIT!

- Ceedy Gardner -Johnson

Two things in play here.

1. Johnson does believe in this team and will do everything in his power to help the Lions.

2. On a 1 year "prove it" deal might be looking for a few years tacked to his deal"

I wish he had signed a 3 year deal from the get go like Sutton did and be done with it.

Injury report: Decker doubtful, Paschal out

Projecting the active 48:

Presuming Connor Galvin roster elevation from the PS tomorrow, we’ll have a 54 man roster.

Inactives: Taylor Decker, Emmanuel Mosley, Josh Paschal, Khalil Dorsey gets us down to 50.

I'm assuming another one is Brodric Martin, 49.

I could also see us elevating an Alexander (instead of Galvin) this week to return kicks and making Antoine Green or Ifeatu Melifonwu inactive.

Expecting Isaiah Buggs & Steven Gilmore to both be active this week.

ETA: Paschal hurt his knee; MCDC said he didn’t think it was serious but no details

Just saw a photo of CGJ wearing a blue ski mask with his uniform.

Completely ridiculous look. Lions have been working hard not to be the laughing stock of the league and then this.

We are going to be the butt of a thousand jokes even more if we lose.

Also fans will tire of it because it’s going to be hot and uncomfortable under the mask and that place gets warm, even more so in a sell out.

Anyway enough of my grumpy old man takes.
The Lions beat the Chiefs in KC and have won like 10 of 12 or something, They aren't going to be the laughing stock of the league if they lose to the Seahawks because CJGJ wore a ski mask.

Completely ridiculous look. Lions have been working hard not to be the laughing stock of the league and then this.

Also fans will tire of it because it’s going to be hot and uncomfortable under the mask and that place gets warm, even more so in a sell out.

The Lions beat the Chiefs in KC and have won like 10 of 12 or something, They aren't going to be the laughing stock of the league if they lose to the Seahawks because CJGJ wore a ski mask.
It’s a step back. I could be wrong but I think there’s going to be a lot of laughter about it come rain or come shine. It’s not a good look and it’s not something comfortable in warm weather as it will be in a crowded sold out indoor stadium.

It’s a step back. I could be wrong but I think there’s going to be a lot of laughter about it come rain or come shine. It’s not a good look and it’s not something comfortable in warm weather as it will be in a crowded sold out indoor stadium.
Nah the ski mask thing is just in right now among a certain hip hop culture segment. It's really not that big of a thing. I fully want to see us embrace the villain role and let go of this awful lovable lion BS. Lions are not supposed to be the good guys. They are killers.

Nah the ski mask thing is just in right now among a certain hip hop culture segment. It's really not that big of a thing. I fully want to see us embrace the villain role and let go of this awful lovable lion BS. Lions are not supposed to be the good guys. They are killers.
Don’t follow hip hop so I’m out of it. Not crazy about it being necessary to be seen as a villain franchise to be successful.

We are definitely in a new time for Lion football assuming we continue in the direction that fans, players and mgt believe we are going.

I would love to relive something similar to the “Bad Boys” Pistons. Tough, blue collar team that would out physical anyone who takes the field with them. Other teams hated them but respected them. Lose the ski mask idea however imo.

Been to many games there. The indoor Ford Field with a sold out crowd is quite warm inside.

No way in hell would I wear a wool ski mask covering my face and head. The full masks are uncomfortable in 20 degree weather outside scratching and itching.

Been to many games there. The indoor Ford Field with a sold out crowd is quite warm inside.

No way in hell would I wear a wool ski mask covering my face and head. The full masks are uncomfortable in 20 degree weather outside scratching and itching.

3rd down, mask down gramps

I would love to relive something similar to the “Bad Boys” Pistons. Tough, blue collar team that would out physical anyone who takes the field with them. Other teams hated them but respected them. Lose the ski mask idea however imo.

Ceedy is a villain, for sure. Kerby is a wannabe. ARSB is ruthless, but...villain? He's too nice.

Is that the Brand New Lions personna? IDK, but as I mentioned upthread, I think they're a little sick of "oh look, Detroit might be good"

Bottom line is you want media to "respect you" then win games nobody expected you to. Beating the Pack in Lambeau and Chiefs at Arrowhead is a good starting point.

Surprising how much national media picked up on blue ski mask. Everyone talking about it. Rather, everyone talking about Detroit. Hard to get used to, ain't it?

Other teams respect them. They know they're building something special in Allen Park. Casuals and flyby media, who cares honestly.

3rd down, mask down gramps

I am wearing this!!

[Mike Garafolo]

The #Lions are signing CB Chase Lucas to their 53-man roster off their practice squad, per his agent @jtoosonlaw.

Last year’s seventh-round pick returns to the active roster.

in other news, my blue ski mask from Amazon was delivered today

EDIT

Oh, shoot....buried the lead.

This is not a practice squad promotion but a signing. That means he is on the roster for 3 games, e.g., a corresponding move will come before 4pm today. Somebody is getting cut or going on IR.

Last edited:
[Mike Garafolo]

The #Lions are signing CB Chase Lucas to their 53-man roster off their practice squad, per his agent @jtoosonlaw.

Last year’s seventh-round pick returns to the active roster.

in other news, my blue ski mask from Amazon was delivered today

EDIT

Oh, shoot....buried the lead.

This is not a practice squad promotion but a signing. That means he is on the roster for 3 games, e.g., a corresponding move will come before 4pm today. Somebody is getting cut or going on IR.
Paschal is probably going on IR.

Just read something that actually shocked me. No city’s high schools had more players on NFL rosters week 1 than Detroit.
King High is notable for Sauce Gardner. Other King alumni include Steeler "Frenchy" Fuqua, NBA star George the Iceman Gervin, former Tiger Ron Leflore and Hall of Fame boxing trainer Emanuel Steward.

@Justin_Rogers

Lions have placed Josh Paschal and Khalil Dorsey on IR. Chase Lucas will take one of those roster spots.

Also, Taylor Decker has been downgraded to out.

EDIT

Elevated Kayode Awosika to active roster via standard practice squad elevation

How big an impact is Decker on the offense?

In 35 games under Campbell, the offensive line has had one game where all 5 were healthy and started

Probably minimal, they're used to it

Sewell probably flip to LT, Glasgow comes off the bench to play RG, Vaitai slides out to RT

Or Sewell LT and Nelson plays RT with Big V staying at RG

Or Vaitai plays LT & Graham plays RG

whatever combo, they spent a lot of time during TC and joint practices cross training the OL to be multiples and have the ability to play more than 1 position

Seattle playing without both of their starting tackles. Could point to a lower scoring game, but who knows. No excuses, win the game.

Just read something that actually shocked me. No city’s high schools had more players on NFL rosters week 1 than Detroit.
King High is notable for Sauce Gardner. Other King alumni include Steeler "Frenchy" Fuqua, NBA star George the Iceman Gervin, former Tiger Ron Leflore and Hall of Fame boxing trainer Emanuel Steward.

Jerome "The Bus" Bettis! Saw him play in high school. Another PSL guy.

Who will Woolen cover? PFF has him at 2 targets, 1 reception allowed last week.

he's the RCB and doesn't travel
Thanks. Considering picking up Reynolds for a few games.

Detroit WR alignment

That's ARSB page but scroll to the bottom, they list the alignment for all the RB, TE and WR

St Brown split his 46 Slot snaps evenly L & R, and you can see most of the guys are just as likely to line up on either side

Except for the half season he was a Titan, Reynolds has played his entire career with Jared Goff

He's also played the Seahawks every year

Yeah not a surprise Detroit has lots of NFL players- just surprised it’s the most.

That's ARSB page but scroll to the bottom, they list the alignment for all the RB, TE and WR

St Brown split his 46 Slot snaps evenly L & R, and you can see most of the guys are just as likely to line up on either side

Except for the half season he was a Titan, Reynolds has played his entire career with Jared Goff

They really move their receivers around, L, R, Slot, outside. Reynolds is still available in my league, he'd play in place of Cooper who has a groin injury. The prediction for Reynolds is 5.7 non-ppr. Cooper has fallen due to the injury to 7, and he doesn't have the connection with his QB like Reynolds.

They really move their receivers around, L, R, Slot, outside. Reynolds is still available in my league, he'd play in place of Cooper who has a groin injury. The prediction for Reynolds is 5.7 non-ppr. Cooper has fallen due to the injury to 7, and he doesn't have the connection with his QB like Reynolds.

he actually had more RZ targets inside the 10 than Amon-Ra, led the team

only 3 TDs so I wouldn't get too excited but he's def a guy Jared knows will be where he supposed to be

I like LaPorta tomorrow but tbh with Ben Johnson you really don't know other than St Brown will lead them in targets

Yeah not a surprise Detroit has lots of NFL players- just surprised it’s the most.
Yes, I would have guessed some city in SEC county.

Yes, I would have guessed some city in SEC county.
Or Dallas, Houston? Maybe even LA.

Broken down to it's simplest terms (as opposed to BL's excellent writeup in the game thread), it comes down to this. In the Lions last two games that count, they went on the road and beat Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes. This week they need to beat Geno Smith at home. Of course it's the NFL so take all that with a grain of salt, as long as your doctor doesn't object.

Last edited:
as opposed to BL's excellent writeup in the game thread

IDK what the heck happened there :lol: was battling insomnia / on my first cup of coffee & thought I wrote about 5 blurbs. After I posted I wondered who built that wall of words. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

If a tennis player breaks their opponents serve, it’s somewhat meaningless if they don’t hold serve themselves. Won a game we didn’t expect to, so now let’s win one we’re supposed to.

Users who are viewing this thread