What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Crimson Tide..Roll Lions: Draft day! (14 Viewers)

They filled in all their holes, so they have a solid group of starters. There weakest spot is still at DE and CB. Solid off season...now for the draft.

2024 Offseason check list
  • Fix secondary ✅
  • Fix Interior Defensive Line ✅
  • Extend Goff
  • Extend St. Brown
  • Draft BPA

• Resign GG bc he played better last year & will be way, way cheaper than JJ ✅
  • Sign another starting G, preferably a quality veteran ✅

@SharpFootball

Kevin Zeitler is an outstanding signing by DET

pass block grades as a Raven:
  • #2 of 83 in 2023
  • #4 of 84 in 2022
  • #4 of 88 in 2021

plus he’s durable15+ starts in 9 straight yrs

here’s 5 mins of Baldy salivating over his game when BAL first landed him

Well done by Brad!

Kevin Zeiter. A
Dj Reader. A-
Carlton Davis III. B+
Amik Robertson. B-
Marcus Davenport. C+

And a re-signing that is under the radar is Emmanual Mosely who will push Robertson for the starting CB2. Pushing Sutton from CB1 to a probable role-playing corner is huge improvement over last season. A healthy Sutton in a lesser role will make him into a contributing piece instead of a liability. Excited to see if the new secondary coaches can shape this into a solid unit.

If Davenport can stay healthy and return to old form, he can get us 5 or 6 sacks. Houston can still come in on special situations and pick up another 7 or 8 sacks, we may be in better shape than we thought.. The rest of the starting DL is awesome. Should be our best group of DL in at least a decade.

With a very good group of Linebackers and some great looking young safeties, the Lions defense can roar and be closer in line to where the offense is. The only position group you can say we are arguably worse is the WR group, swapping out Reynolds for DPJ. But Wamo is ready to step up big time and DPJ has had a couple of very good seasons which he has shown he is capable. Staying healthy is everything as depth is an issue.

This team is very much on par with San Fran. GB will be veey good, but the Lions are the class of the north. Bears and Vikes are full of too many question marks. Any talking head who thinks the Lions window has closed is an incompetent fool.

Last edited:
Also in no way would I let this stop me from using a 1st on one of the two OG/C prospects. Put a first round pick in Glasgow’s spot (with no rush to be ready). Glasgow becomes an excellent backup and you groom the Ragnow replacement. An OL of Decker, Zeitler, Ragnow, Frazier, Sewell could be freaky good.

Amazing job this off-season by Holmes again. If he nails this draft like years past, this team is going to be a wrecking ball. Improving this team without overspending is key and we are doing it to a tee. The thing about drafting well is we will need to start paying guys at some point and this organization appears to understand the balance of improving now and paving the road for the future. There will be some tough decisions in the future but they seem to be making the right moves in perfect balance. As mentioned, we are setup to take BPA which is an incredible advantage come draft day. Might even be in a great spot to trade down if say a Penix falls and someone wants to jump up. It is a good life being a Lion’s fan and I never imagined feeling this way. In Holmes I trust.

Also in no way would I let this stop me from using a 1st on one of the two OG/C prospects. Put a first round pick in Glasgow’s spot (with no rush to be ready). Glasgow becomes an excellent backup and you groom the Ragnow replacement. An OL of Decker, Zeitler, Ragnow, Frazier, Sewell could be freaky good.

There are quite a few college OT in this class who project as an interior lineman. Imagine if we moved up and took a JC Latham (Alabama) or Troy Fautanu (UDub), or even if they stick and pick maybe a Graham Barton (Duke) or Steve Jordan (Arizona.) Down the road you could move them to RT if they move on from Taylor Decker after this season and move Penei Sewell to LT.

Once again, Brad Holmes walking the walk. He said the FA is to plug holes and find starters, so that you are free to draft talent bc your needs are already covered. He said they won't go after splashy deals, it has to make sense Cap wise, and it has to be a fit culturally.

Dude is crushing his job.

Brad had a ton of draft capital last year in a very weak class and was able to get 4 gems and a few more with future potential. Now it is kind of flipped, weaker draft capital but a much deeper class. There is zero chance Brad drafts four year one starters as the roster is too good. A perfect draft this year would be a future DE, CB, OL, and WR. If one or two of them can start, watch out.

Zeitler>Jackson by a lot. Great move by the Lions.
Probably but you never know how age plays a role here. Jackson is a better run blocker it seems but Zeitler has easily the better pass blocker. It’s nice to be the type of team where talented vets want to come play for on affordable deals to chase a ring and be part of the culture.

Coming off his best season this was a solid "one year" deal.

The Lions seems to be a destination now and able to get the better players on short term deals.

Walked by yesterday and Hutch building a new home right across the street for his parents house. Not sure if I was a young star athlete I would want to live across the street from mom and dad. Heard from friend Hutchs mom runs the show.

This should easily be the best group of off-season signings in Lions history, assuming they pan out as expected and stay relatively healthy. Detroit has never been a place where free agents came. Now they come and they sign for a discount.

Brad going into his fourth season has:

1. 3 of the top 5 drafts in Lions history, fully expecting last years will end up being their best.
2. The best group of off-season signings in Lions history.
3. The best trade in Lions history. (Stafford for Goff plus picks).

And he is doing everything with a long-term sustainable view. He could have rushed out and gave Goff $55 million and Saint $28 million and got the job done. But I think he is making the case that the Lions are building something special here, we want you to be part of it, but we need you to be at $45 million or at $24 million.

Probably but you never know how age plays a role here. Jackson is a better run blocker it seems but Zeitler has easily the better pass blocker. It’s nice to be the type of team where talented vets want to come play for on affordable deals to chase a ring and be part of the culture.

Heard from friend Hutchs mom runs the show.
As she should. She's very hot.

Heard from friend Hutchs mom runs the show.
As she should. She's very hot.

Should a fat and ugly mom run the show? Or just a skinny hot one? :wink:

This should easily be the best group of off-season signings in Lions history, assuming they pan out as expected and stay relatively healthy. Detroit has never been a place where free agents came. Now they come and they sign for a discount.

1. 3 of the top 5 drafts in Lions history, fully expecting last years will end up being their best.

And he is doing everything with a long-term sustainable view. He could have rushed out and gave Goff $55 million and Saint $28 million and got the job done. But I think he is making the case that the Lions are building something special here, we want you to be part of it, but we need you to be at $45 million or at $24 million.
Last year was awesome but getting Sewell and Amon Ra (and Alim) in one draft was pretty crazy. Two of the best young offensive players in the league and guys who completely reshaped the entire mentality of the team. The team (from a player side) is built in their image.

Last year was awesome but getting Sewell and Amon Ra (and Alim) in one draft was pretty crazy. Two of the best young offensive players in the league and guys who completely reshaped the entire mentality of the team. The team (from a player side) is built in their image.

Penei, Saint, Iffy, Alim and Barnes vs. Gibbs, LaPorta, Campbell, and Branch.

For now, the advantage goes to the class of 2021, but we pretty much know their peak potential. The class of 2023, we have seen something special, but have not seen how great they can be. Plus there are three additional players, including a QB who could develop. If Hooker becomes our future, the Class of 2023 could surpass them.

Brad had a ton of draft capital last year in a very weak class and was able to get 4 gems and a few more with future potential. Now it is kind of flipped, weaker draft capital but a much deeper class. There is zero chance Brad drafts four year one starters as the roster is too good. A perfect draft this year would be a future DE, CB, OL, and WR. If one or two of them can start, watch out.
Coming around the idea that WR is a weakness for the Lions. We are hoping that Jamo takes off this year. But can’t call him dependable at this time. Right now he gives you an occasional splash play. Reynolds
may not be back. Kalif can spot start as a fill in.

DPJ looks capable but upside limited perhaps. Need a solid #2 WR. Injury to St. Brown would kill us. Lots of WR in draft and 100% believe they will draft one but we need one capable of starting soon.

Read today that Goff threw deep only @ 7% of his throws. This was last in the league based on a minimum attempts cutoff. Seems like a missing weapon in the Lions attack. Perhaps due to Jamo starting slow, Goff’s arm or not a focus of game plan. Not sure what to think.

Penei, Saint, Iffy, Alim and Barnes vs. Gibbs, LaPorta, Campbell, and Branch.

For now, the advantage goes to the class of 2021, but we pretty much know their peak potential. The class of 2023, we have seen something special, but have not seen how great they can be. Plus there are three additional players, including a QB who could develop. If Hooker becomes our future, the Class of 2023 could surpass them.
How awesome is it that we don’t have to choose, because they’re all Lions?

Might need another corner. Warrant out for Cam Sutton for domestic violence.

I hate to see that happen to anyone. If true, this is a clear violation of the personal conduct policy and the Lions will release him. Not sure how the timing impacts his cap hit. I think the time to cut him and avoid his cap hit might have passed. His value to the team is much less than his contract.

I hate to see that happen to anyone. If true, this is a clear violation of the personal conduct policy and the Lions will release him. Not sure how the timing impacts his cap hit. I think the time to cut him and avoid his cap hit might have passed. His value to the team is much less than his contract.
To me, issues like this shouldn't have contract ramifications. Should be standard in every contract that crap likes this just cancels everything.

Sounds like they have been looking for him for two weeks.

To me, issues like this shouldn't have contract ramifications. Should be standard in every contract that crap likes this just cancels everything.

Sounds like they have been looking for him for two weeks.

Yeah, I am sure they have the standard personal conduct clause in, and as soon as the league suspends him the Lions will able to cut him. I was reading about a similar instance and the article indicated they had to cut him prior to March to avoid the cap hit.

Right now the starters would be Davis, Robertson and Branch. Mosely, Dorsey and Gilmore on bench. At least one more will be added one way or another.

As far as I can tell, if the Lions release Sutton for personal conduct after the NFL places him on the Exempt List, the Lions will save $10.5 million on salary in each of 2024 and 2025. They were scheduled for about $13 million cap hit, but it will end up being about $9 million because of the prorated signing bonus. The nearly $11 million in signing bonus was spread out over 5 years, but will be accelerated if he gets cut.

Well, I guess Wamo gets to finally claim the #1 Jersey now. He will have to scrap a lot of brown off of it though from getting toasted so much last year.

If there was one contract that Brad could pick to wipe off the books, it was Sutton's. A modest cap savings in 24, 26, and 27, but a nice cap savings for 25.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, if the Lions release Sutton for personal conduct after the NFL places him on the Exempt List, the Lions will save $10.5 million on salary in each of 2024 and 2025. They were scheduled for about $13 million cap hit, but it will end up being about $9 million because of the prorated signing bonus. The nearly $11 million in signing bonus was spread out over 5 years, but will be accelerated if he gets cut.
It amazes me that these guys that are making this much money can throw it all away so easily. Just keep your **** in check for a few years and you’ll be set for life.

Detroit Lions statement on CB Cam Sutton…

“We became aware of the ongoing legal situation involving Cam Sutton this morning. We will continue to monitor the situation and will not have further comment at this time.”

It amazes me that these guys that are making this much money can throw it all away so easily. Just keep your **** in check for a few years and you’ll be set for life.
The line between stable and unstable can be thin depending how you live your life and who you surround yourself with. We don’t know what we don’t know. Seems like an easy path, but humans tend to complicate things and sometimes there are just underlying issues. I am glad his victim is still alive, heard on the local radio there was an attempt to throw her out the window from three stories up (not sure if that is true or not). Sad how common it is becoming for people to lose control. Like you said, he was set for life.

People are who they are. Money doesn't change that and maybe sometimes having a lot of money makes them feel even more free to be their true self.

Or, you know, don't hit women, regardless of whether you're playing football or not

With the caveat that none of us actually knows what happened, if the allegations are true I don't really care about getting out of the contract or who will replace him or whatever. I would just rather not have to root for an abuser. I guess there is an upside to him coming off a bad year: Unlike Dolphins fans, we won't feel like we have to rationalize his behavior because of his talent

top remaining FA CBs still available:
  • Tre'Davious White (29) 4g PFF 68.0 66th / 229
  • Adoree Jackson (28) 14g 48.6 122nd / 132
  • Stephon Gilmore (33) 18g 71.2 37th / 132
  • Xavien Howard (31) 13g 55.1 103rd / 132
  • Myles Bryant (26) 17g 66.6 56th / 132
  • Antonio Hamilton (31) 64.7 64th / 132
  • Steven Nelson (31) 19g 72.6 31st / 132
  • Ahkello Witherspoon (29) 18g 62.8 73rd / 132
  • Levi Wallace (29) 17g 57.9 93rd / 132

2023 Lions CBs PFF grades:
  • Brian Branch (22) 18g 78.9 15th / 132
  • Jerry Jacobs ((26) 13g 57.1 96th / 132
  • Cam Sutton (29) 20g 52.3 109th / 132
  • Kindle Vildor (26) 9g 49.0 121st / 132

• Emmanuel Moseley (27) 60.6 128th / 229
  • Khalil Dorsey (25) 4g 52.4 174th / 229
  • Will Harris (28) 14g 43.0 212th / 229
  • Chase Lucas (27) ST snaps only
  • Craig James (27) PS only - 0g

Free Agents signed by Detroit:
  • Amik Robertson (25) 14g 63.4 68th / 132
  • Carlton Davis III (27) 14g 63.1 72nd / 132

this is low key hilarious:

Marcus Davenport costing Vikings twice the cap room in 2024 than Lions

When the Detroit Lions signed Marcus Davenport last week, our “friends” at Daily Norseman were having a little fun at our expense. Since Davenport played just four games for the Minnesota Vikings last year—while costing them a whopping $13 million on a one-year deal, they penned an article titled “Marcus Davenport to steal money from Detroit Lions in 2024.”

Now, we know Vikings fans aren’t too fond of the Lions these days. They’ll say it’s because of some perceived dirtiness of Detroit’s players, but I think it’s probably more due to the fact that Detroit is the king of the division and has won four of their last five over the Vikings.

Anyways, that’s neither here nor there. Let’s go back to Davenport. The Vikings are clearly still salty over the fact that Davenport didn’t work out in Minnesota, and were happy to see him land in Detroit. Unfortunately, I have some bad news for our goldilocked friends: he’ll actually end up costing the Vikings nearly double the cap space in 2024 than he will the Lions.

You see, the Vikings utilized four voided years in Davenport’s contract last year, which pushed most of his $8.5 million signing bonus into the future. That all accelerates this year into a total of $6.8 million in dead cap for the 2024 season.

Meanwhile, the Lions signed Davenport to a much more reasonable one-year, $6.5 million deal, with only $3 million guaranteed. And get this: Detroit utilized an uncommon salary cap rule to make his overall cap hit just $3.42 million this year.

The details are a bit complicated, but I’ll give you the basics. It’s called the 50% rule, and it allows a team to use a portion of the base salary and other bonuses and treat them as a prorated signing bonus. Detroit used this stipulation in Halapoulivaati Vaitai's restructured contract last year—If you want to learn more about it (but, fair warning, it is very complicated). Because the Lions added a void year to Davenport’s contract, those “signing bonus” cap hits are split between this year and next.

Here’s how the overall contact looks, per Over The Cap:

Marcus Davenport: One year, $6.5 million — $3 million guaranteed
2024:

$2.5 million base salary (only $1.125M counts toward the cap in 2024)
$2,297,500 million “signing bonus” (which includes all bonuses)
Cap hit: $3,422,500 million
2025 — Void year

$2,297,500 dead cap
As you may notice, the total of these cap hits is actually $5,720,0000, less than the overall value of the deal ($6.5 million). So the deal is even better than originally reported. Davenport does have the opportunity to earn more, though.

So, yeah, I suppose it may look like “stolen” money from jaded Vikings fans, but it’s undeniably a savvy contract from Lions COO Mike Disner and Detroit’s front office.

Looking at the PFF FA tracker, the CBs locked in past this year are Amik for 2 years and Branch for 3 years. I would assume if Davis works out they will extend him past this year or maybe that's already in the works?

Looking at the PFF FA tracker, the CBs locked in past this year are Amik for 2 years and Branch for 3 years. I would assume if Davis works out they will extend him past this year or maybe that's already in the works?
Current Davis contract status

I assume the Lion’s knew about Sutton’s situation when they made the trade and recognized the need to fill a major weakness. I think they will let Davis play out this year after they voided the remaining years and see what happens. Even if a one year rental it is worth putting the chips in this year to try to get to the Super Bowl with the current roster setup. It could be a tricky extension with a player who will be 28 and has an injury history. Hopefully he is able to stay on the field this season and puts us in that tough position to extend or not,

I'm a firm believer in happy wife, happy life. When I put in the effort to connect, be present, and love my wife the way she wants, the ROI on that is like 1000%.

Still, there are times when you just have to say "no honey, we're not doing that."

Brodric Martin photoshoot

Young man, this was one of those times.

I'll be disappointed if MCDC doesn't open a TC meeting this summer with this.

I assume the Lion’s knew about Sutton’s situation when they made the trade
The Lions made a statement and said they just found out yesterday.

Yeah, the need for two CB who can actually cover someone was quite apparent all of the last half of last season. Sutton was nothing more than an $11 million depth piece/situational player. I think when healthy, Moseley was going to be better for us anyways.

I assume the Lion’s knew about Sutton’s situation when they made the trade
The Lions made a statement and said they just found out yesterday.

Not exactly.

They said “We became aware of the ongoing legal situation involving Cam Sutton this morning” - there’s some wiggle room there, e.g., they could have been aware of the incident but not that he had a warrant issued bc LE hasn’t been able to contact him.

Users who are viewing this thread