What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Philadelphia Eagles - NFL record for points scored by a team is 72 and has stood for 58 years, FYI. (43 Viewers)

Seems he was NOT cheap, but the 3 WR sets, with him now in the slot. Holy crap is the offense loaded.
I'm assuming you mean in draft pick terms, not in salary (he's only going to earn $4m this year).

Yeah, I thought he'd go for pennies rather than dimes on the dollar, but the equivalent cost here will be about a mid-4th rounder assuming the Birds are a playoff team (see note below). I'm OK with paying a 4th for a 1st-round pick whose QBs and schemes have been an anchor around his leg since Day 1 and who's still only 24. Lots of upside, limited downside at that cost.

Note: Among the many ways that Howie runs rings around his GM counterparts ... does any other team consistently get draft picks sent back as part of trades involving picks more often than the Eagles? He knows the draft is more or less a complete crapshoot after Round 1, and never seems to give away his darts without receiving others.

guess they really didnt like what they were seeing from our other wrs
Yeah I think they want to move AJ and Smitty into the slot a lot this year, and just didn't have a guy that they trusted could be an outside threat - whether it was Parris Campbell, Britain Covey or one of the rookies. And Campbell never stays healthy anyway. This guy has put up 400/500 yards the past 2 seasons where we have massively struggled to get any production from a slot WR.

Now the offense looks complete, at least to me.

guess they really didnt like what they were seeing from our other wrs
Yeah I think they want to move AJ and Smitty into the slot a lot this year, and just didn't have a guy that they trusted could be an outside threat - whether it was Parris Campbell, Britain Covey or one of the rookies. And Campbell never stays healthy anyway. This guy has put up 400/500 yards the past 2 seasons where we have massively struggled to get any production from a slot WR.

Now the offense looks complete, at least to me.

im cool with it

What are the terms of the trade???
Philly has two 3rds this year and four 7ths. They give up the better of the 3rds (ours and MIAs) and the latter of the 7ths. They get back WAS only 5th, and Dotson, with 2 years left on his rookie contract and a 5th year option.

Great move. 3rd WR probably the biggest need on the team.

he's only going to earn $4m this year).
It’s $4m over the next 2 years, with his 5th year option on the table for the Eagles, since he was a 1st round pick 2 years ago. That cost control is why they had to give up a 3rd as part of the deal, I’m sure.
I like this move 100x more than I did the Pickett move, which basically was for the same reasoning. Just having visions of at least 1 pass catcher being wide open on every passing down this season and hoping the new system/Jalen's grasp of it is good enough to just hit the open guy every single time. I really think a move like this could be a keystone sort of deal that has a far bigger impact on the offense in the season, assuming he can play. There is a reason Washington traded him within the division, so hoping he actually is still at least average/above average.

As far as the Pickett move, I get why they did it, but man I really wish they would consider having McKee be the #2 and just secretly shopping Picket to recoup any of the sunk costs already in. He just stinks and if he ever had to play, I would not be confident at all with him being able to try to carry the team for multiple weeks. I think McKee could.

Anyway, this just adds to my already excitement to what I believe is going to be a fun season. So ready to rock.

It’s $4m over the next 2 years, with his 5th year option on the table for the Eagles, since he was a 1st round pick 2 years ago. That cost control is why they had to give up a 3rd as part of the deal, I’m sure.
I like this move 100x more than I did the Pickett move, which basically was for the same reasoning. Just having visions of at least 1 pass catcher being wide open on every passing down this season and hoping the new system/Jalen's grasp of it is good enough to just hit the open guy every single time. I really think a move like this could be a keystone sort of deal that has a far bigger impact on the offense in the season, assuming he can play. There is a reason Washington traded him within the division, so hoping he actually is still at least average/above average.

As far as the Pickett move, I get why they did it, but man I really wish they would consider having McKee be the #2 and just secretly shopping Picket to recoup any of the sunk costs already in. He just stinks and if he ever had to play, I would not be confident at all with him being able to try to carry the team for multiple weeks. I think McKee could.

Anyway, this just adds to my already excitement to what I believe is going to be a fun season. So ready to rock.

totally agree on your pickett take. i dont even want the guy on the roster. is there any chance they cut him? I feel like they could sign a QB off the street that would be better than him

totally agree on your pickett take. i dont even want the guy on the roster. is there any chance they cut him? I feel like they could sign a QB off the street that would be better than him
I mean they definitely could cut him but they won't because of pride mixed with Howie's obsession with always getting value. If he can swing him for a conditional 7, at worst case after everything is exhausted, he'll take the deal. At the same time I think he did get a 5 for Reagor or something that should not have netted anything of value, so I do think he will be able to get a least something for a cost controlled young QB for the next 2 years with minimum salaries, so in summary I'd put the chances at literally 0% Pickett gets cut at this point.

Philly has two 3rds this year and four 7ths. They give up the better of the 3rds (ours and MIAs) and the latter of the 7ths. They get back WAS only 5th, and Dotson, with 2 years left on his rookie contract and a 5th year option.

Right. Could we get a WR3 with that 3rd rounder, if not this is an excellent trade

I give it a B+. Definitely fills a need and for cheap. He has a ton of talent, but obviously hasn't shown it the last year. But perhaps a new system, new coaches, new team, and new role will really bring out that talent. Hopefully a winning culture and saquon being around will really motivate him. It's not a huge home run, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Pickett deal was a C. I liked the low cost gamble at the time, but this is one where a new team/environment DIDN'T seem to improve him. Howie has a pretty awesome track record, can't win them all.

Interesting, ESPN just posted their positional group rankings.

Here's how they ranked us:

QB: 11th
RB: 6th
WR: 7th
TE: 19th
OL: 5th
DL: 22nd
EDGE: 16th
LB: 30th
CB: 11th
S: 22nd
Overall: 10th
I'd be interested to know who the ten better QB's are. Not picking nits, just curious. I'll definitely question that there are 18 teams with better TE's and we're 22 on Dline? dafuq outta here.
Definite
Mahomes
Allen
Lamar
Burrow
Herbert

Possible
Stroud
Dak
Love

Could have a conversation
Lawrence
Rodgers
Stafford

This is really a big year for Hurts. He’s gotta show that he can put it all together. He’s had one year that was really good and has been inconsistent the rest of the time. I’m not saying I don’t believe in him or don’t want him, just trying to be fair. Hopefully it was mostly injury last year.
I’d quibble some with some of ur rankings. I wouldn’t definitely take Herbert, or even Burrow over Hurts, at this point. Even Lamar disappears, at times.

But, I’m a big homer when it comes to Jalen and I think he is going to be lights out this year. I don’t think you can have a year like he had and play in the SuperBowl the way he did and not be legit top-tier talent.

I do completely agree with your take that he only showed that one year and this one will be crucial to defining what oevel talent he really is.
I guess it is is fair to question Herbert and burrow considering that they haven’t demonstrated it on the field for that long. I guess I just feel better about their arms and ability to make splays in the passing game. Hurts is still a little too mechanical in the pass game and a little too reliant on his athleticism. I suppose these are more long term questions than just this year. Like I would rather bet on the next 5-7 years of Herbert or burrow than hurts.
Yeah, I think you can argue that both of them have a higher ceiling than Jalen, but it's too early to say. With Burrow it's been injuries. With Herbert, I guess lack of continuity in his Offensive system. I think Herbert blows up this year and Chargers make noise with playoff run. Harbaugh seems ultra-dooshy, but, man is he a good ball coach.

Jim Harbaugh's teams passing offense ranks as an NFL HC:

2011: 31st pass att, 29th pass yds, 24th pass TD
2012: 31st pass att, 23rd pass yds, 16th pass TD
2013: 32nd pass att, 30th pass yds, 23rd pass TD
2014: 29th pass att, 30th pass yds, 22nd pass TD

Every move they've made suggests that trend to continue. They probably feature the run heavily this season.
I see your point, but looking at that in a vacuum is deceiving. He resurrected Alex Smith's career and turned a dubiously talented Kaepernick into a shooting star. Yeah, he loves the run game to a fault but he gets the best out of his QBs, too. And makes them more efficient.

Herbert isn't Smith or Kaep. And with Palmer, baby Chark, McConkey and Hurst/Dissly vs a backfield of Gus Edawrds and JK Dobbins? I'll bet on the passing game.

Smith threw for less than 200 yards per game under Harbaugh and had 17 and 13 TDs before getting traded to KC. He actually took off under Andy Reid. Smith won more with Harbaugh, but his numbers were better before Harbaugh arrived. CK was never a good throwing QB and flamed out. Plus, those WRs Herbert is throwing to are pitiful. IMO, if we're talking a 12 team league, Herbert isn't a QB1 for fantasy purposes.
You’re probably right. I have a gut feeling Herbert is going to way overdeliver on his ADP, though. I’m stealing him in drafts and making sure I have a decent back-up
To be clear, my assessment of QBs had nothing to do with fantasy. But I agree that Herbert is high risk high reward this year. I do have him on a dynasty team…

As mentioned on twitter, they basically traded a 4th this year for Dotson and then 2 7ths for a 5th.

Steelers were so snoozing due to Brandon Aiyuk debacle. I'd have preferred Jahan Dotson. Although the lesser talent, less draft capital and salary compared to Brandon.

Eagles won this deal, easily. Low draft capital for a good player victimized the by the complete inability to build a competent roster. Just pure robbery.

Good interview of Nick Foles by Chris Long.

Edit: No idea why the preview is showing German here, at least it is for me...

All YouTube links on this board have been showing up in German recently. Dunno if it’s a YouTube thing or a FBG thing.

I think Pickett has about 35% chance of being cut. Playing an entire half in the last preseason game and looking below average doing it. Why would they keep this guy?

All YouTube links on this board have been showing up in German recently. Dunno if it’s a YouTube thing or a FBG thing.
I heard that Joe sold the board to a German conglomerate called fussballmenschen

Dotson today:

“I got goosebumps leaving the field today, just because Philly, growing up only an hour, hour and a half away from here, you understand the passion. You understand how much people care about the Eagles. Seeing the fans go crazy, literally after a third preseason game, it was exciting. It got me a little excited to be here.”

Dotson today:

“I got goosebumps leaving the field today, just because Philly, growing up only an hour, hour and a half away from here, you understand the passion. You understand how much people care about the Eagles. Seeing the fans go crazy, literally after a third preseason game, it was exciting. It got me a little excited to be here.”
GO BIRDS!!!!!1!1!!!111

This is why the Eagles consistently stay in front of the WFT'skins in the NFCE standings:

We trade for Donovan McNabb

You trade for Jahan Dotson

Last edited:
This is why the Eagles consistently stay in front of the WFT'skins in the NFCE stadings:

We trade for Donovan McNabb

You trade for Jahan Dotson
The trades don't always work out but Howie is always willing to take a chance on a younger guy that hasn't lived up to potential it seems.

Ok here goes by best shot on predicting the 53 Man Roster. Bolds are absolute locks/no chance in hell they are traded. Bradberry and Ricks don't make the team. One is cut, one is traded.

QB: Hurts, Pickett, McKee
RB: Saquon, Gainwell, Shipley
WR: Devonta, AJB, Covey, Ainias Smith, Campbell, **Mystery player to be traded for**
TE: Goedert, Uzomah, Calcaterra
OL: Mailata, Dickerson, Jurgens, Steen, Lane, Becton, Hennessey, Keegan, McMahon, Fred Johnson
DL: BG, Carter, Davis, Sweat, Hunt, Smith, Milton Williams, Huff, Ojomo, Tuipulotu
LB: White, Dean, Baun, Trotter JR, Burks, **Mystery player to be traded for**
CB: Slay, Mitchell, Dejean, Ringo, Rodgers, Jobe
S: Blankenship, CJ, Brown, Maddox

K: Jake the Leg
P: Mann
Figured I'd take a stab at this with some corrections and updates, maybe stock up/stock down styles

QBs: Hurts, Pickett, Mckee - Pickett stock down, McKee stock up
RBs: Saquon, Gainwell, Shipley - Shipley stock up, looks nice
WRs: Devonta, AJB, Covey, Wilson, Smith, Dotson (nailed the mystery player here, puts Campbell on the outs IMO)
TEs: Godert, Calcaterra (missed on Uzomah who got cut)
OL: Mailata, Dickerson, Jurgens, Becton, Lane, Steen, Keegan, Fred Johnson, Toth, McHmahon (Becton stock up, Steen stock down)
Edge: Hunt, Huff, BG, Smith, Sweat (Hunt stock up, Smith stock down)
DT: Carter, Davis, Ojomo, Milton, Tiupulotu (Carter stock up, gonna be a monster)
LB: White, Dean, Baun, Trotter Jr. Van Sumeran (entire group stock up, specifically Dean though. But it was a penny stock to begin with so all relative)
S: Blankenship, CJ, Brown, Maddox, McCollum, Bradberry (ugh I hate the fact Bradberry probably is making the team, but stock is way up on Q. He will play a lot of snaps this year)

K: Jake
LS Lovato

Would not be shocked to see one of the secondary guys traded for something very low like a conditional 7th.

Ok here goes by best shot on predicting the 53 Man Roster. Bolds are absolute locks/no chance in hell they are traded. Bradberry and Ricks don't make the team. One is cut, one is traded.

WR: Devonta, AJB, Covey, Ainias Smith, Campbell, **Mystery player to be traded for**
OL: Mailata, Dickerson, Jurgens, Steen, Lane, Becton, Hennessey, Keegan, McMahon, Fred Johnson
DL: BG, Carter, Davis, Sweat, Hunt, Smith, Milton Williams, Huff, Ojomo, Tuipulotu

Figured I'd take a stab at this with some corrections and updates, maybe stock up/stock down styles

WRs: Devonta, AJB, Covey, Wilson, Smith, Dotson (nailed the mystery player here, puts Campbell on the outs IMO)
OL: Mailata, Dickerson, Jurgens, Becton, Lane, Steen, Keegan, Fred Johnson, Toth, McHmahon (Becton stock up, Steen stock down)
DT: Carter, Davis, Ojomo, Milton, Tiupulotu (Carter stock up, gonna be a monster)
LB: White, Dean, Baun, Trotter Jr. Van Sumeran (entire group stock up, specifically Dean though. But it was a penny stock to begin with so all relative)
S: Blankenship, CJ, Brown, Maddox, McCollum, Bradberry (ugh I hate the fact Bradberry probably is making the team, but stock is way up on Q. He will play a lot of snaps this year)

LS Lovato

Would not be shocked to see one of the secondary guys traded for something very low like a conditional 7th.

I don't think Jobe makes the team over Ricks. Also, there will be 3 TEs on the 53.

LS Lovato

I don't think Jobe makes the team over Ricks. Also, there will be 3 TEs on the 53.
Eh, I think Ricks is the guy that gets traded actually, Jobe is a special teams ace, not sure if Ricks is on his level.

I think I agree with your TE take, but small caveat is they find a way to get EJ Jenkins as TE3, just not making the initial 53.

LS Lovato

Eh, I think Ricks is the guy that gets traded actually, Jobe is a special teams ace, not sure if Ricks is on his level.

I think I agree with your TE take, but small caveat is they find a way to get EJ Jenkins as TE3, just not making the initial 53.

Zangaro had a piece out speculating that the Eagles would be using Ringo in the Jobe special teams role.

The Eagles could cut Ricks but it just doesn’t make sense to me to get rid of a young and promising cornerback even if the numbers make it tough. The difficult part here is keeping Ricks over Josh Jobe, who has been a dynamic gunner. But if Rodgers ends up being the other outside corner, then that frees up Ringo to be the top gunner on the punt team.

LS Lovato

I like all of your picks, but think EJ Jenkins makes the 53, and one of OL, either McMahon or Toth? get cut.

Also, don’t see the Jobe over Ricks pick. But well done.

EDIT TO ADD: Curious to see if Howie manipulates the IR designation to protect coveted guys from being claimed on waivers.

Curious to see if Howie manipulates the IR designation to protect coveted guys from being claimed on waivers.
Right on cue:

WR Ainias Smith reported discomfort in his ankle and hamstring after completing Saturday’s game, sources say. The fifth-rounder is getting an MRI and his availability for the start of the season is in some doubt.

All reports were him having a bad camp but then started showing progress the last week. They probably would have put him through to the 53 if Dotson hadn’t arrived, but after the trade this was probably the only way to keep him on the team through cut downs.

Curious to see if Howie manipulates the IR designation to protect coveted guys from being claimed on waivers.
Right on cue:

WR Ainias Smith reported discomfort in his ankle and hamstring after completing Saturday’s game, sources say. The fifth-rounder is getting an MRI and his availability for the start of the season is in some doubt.

All reports were him having a bad camp but then started showing progress the last week. They probably would have put him through to the 53 if Dotson hadn’t arrived, but after the trade this was probably the only way to keep him on the team through cut downs.
Manifested this one.

Smith to IR to start the season.

Hoping they try to reach out to Noah Brown or Terrace Marshall!

Eagles roster moves:

Released

LB Oren Burks
WR Parris Campbell
OL Nick Gates
QB Will Grier
G/C Matt Hennessy
CB Parry Nickerson
OLB Julian Okwara
WR John Ross
G/T Max Scharping
OL Brett Toth