What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: nearly universal praise for 2024 draft (4 Viewers)

If these guys are available at 20, who is your preference?

Brian Thomas
Amarius Mims
Graham Barton
Tailese Fuaga
Terrion Arnold

Not hearing this, but I wonder if those tackles are gone and they see Barton as a potential risk, if they would trade back in the 1st and take Frazier.
Highly unlikely. in the recent press conference with Omar and Tomlin, Omar seemed very genuine about taking the better player over trading back.

in a scenario where the OT are gone & Barton isn't worthy of a 1st to Pittsburgh, more likely we select CB Terrion Arnold or Nate Wiggins. Maybe Kool-Aid. Historically, those Pro-Day visits by the GM and Tomlin directly correlate to players the Steelers are dialed in to selecting in the first.

If we don't trade away 20 to get Odunze (pick 12 if he falls?) or Aiyuk
85% we take a Pro-Day visit player. Clemson (Wiggins), Georgia (Mims), Michigan (not sure here) and Alabama (JC Latham, Terrion Arnold, Kool-Aid McKinstry)
12% some player falls who is too good to pass up
3% a team gets desperate and vastly over pays to move up to 20. make me an offer i can't refuse.

Not hearing this, but I wonder if those tackles are gone and they see Barton as a potential risk, if they would trade back in the 1st and take Frazier.
Highly unlikely. in the recent press conference with Omar and Tomlin, Omar seemed very genuine about taking the better player over trading back.

in a scenario where the OT are gone & Barton isn't worthy of a 1st to Pittsburgh, more likely we select CB Terrion Arnold or Nate Wiggins. Maybe Kool-Aid. Historically, those Pro-Day visits by the GM and Tomlin directly correlate to players the Steelers are dialed in to selecting in the first.

If we don't trade away 20 to get Odunze (pick 12 if he falls?) or Aiyuk
85% we take a Pro-Day visit player. Clemson (Wiggins), Georgia (Mims), Michigan (not sure here) and Alabama (JC Latham, Terrion Arnold, Kool-Aid McKinstry)
12% some player falls who is too good to pass up
3% a team gets desperate and vastly over pays to move up to 20. make me an offer i can't refuse.
I have been thinking the real target was Latham the entire time for the very reasons you are saying, but I have not "heard" his name once.

Serious question, what's the risk on Barton?
He hasn't played Center since his freshman year, so him playing there in the NFL with a 1st round grade could be a stretch.
Ok thanks.

Personally I love the idea of Frazier I rd 2 but I’d just rather take Barton over him in a round one trade down scenario.

Center is just not a premium position, but a giant need. Put Barton at C for now, find a cheaper option later, move him to G and IMO he’s AVT/Zach Martin level G prospect and that’s become a more premium position.

Of the players I view as somewhat realistic options for us my wish list has been Latham, Mims and Barton in that order but starting to maybe lean Barton over Mims.

But I’d also not be surprised if 2 of those players are already gone. I’ll be happy with any of them.

20. Graham Barton - OC Duke
51. Xavier Legette - WR South Carolina
84. Kamari Lassiter - CB Georgia
98. Maason Smith - DT LSU
119. Matt Goncalves - OT Pittsburgh
178. Tommy Eichenberg - LB Ohio State
195. Logan Lee - DT Iowa

Could see something like this.
I This would be just fine with me. Potentially 3 new starters, and 4 solid backups.

Trading back and taking Frazier is my dream scenario.

He hasn't played Center since his freshman year
I keep hearing this and my answer is always "And?". Players deemed "short armed" kick inside year after year without issue having never played on the interior. He's extremely athletic, great in both run and pass protection, has a bit of a nasty streak, and could play anywhere on the line if needed.

Steelers not picking up Fields 5th year option of $25M. No surprise there. Hope they get a deal done for 3-5 yrs, with clauses and bonuses in there to keep him around, at least long enough to see if can be the QB. I dont think Wilson is a long term answer(1 year hopefully, IMO).

So random insider info - Wilson is buying a substantial condo in downtown Pittsburgh and relocating his family there. I'm not sure if that's normal for guys who expect to be in places for a short time (maybe HE expects to be there longer), and I acknowledge that a very pricey place is a drop in the hat to Wilson (and Ciara), but still...I know it all plays out on the field, but he seems to be planning on being there for a bit.

A pricey condo in downtown Pit is $1-2mill maybe? I’m not going to search the listings but even that feels like a stretch. Pit isn’t NYC or LA.

Also there’s just not much going on downtown but you gotta stay somewhere and it is close to both the practice facility in the southside and the stadium on the north shore.

Russ can pay for this with the change in his couch cushions.

I keep hearing this and my answer is always "And?". Players deemed "short armed" kick inside year after year without issue having never played on the interior. He's extremely athletic, great in both run and pass protection, has a bit of a nasty streak, and could play anywhere on the line if needed.
Well that is why he is projecting as a center obviously, but if you are asking me what the concern could be, that is the concern. Not saying it is an overriding one.

Connor Williams. Tackle in college. Guard with Dallas. Center with Miami, pff grade of 86.5 before the injury last year.

take that third round nonsense you are selling somewhere else and quit cluttering up this thread.

Please be more cool than that.

We can discuss and disagree here without getting down to insults like that. Thanks.
Excuse me but when someone responds to my post with a "good lord" I'll respond in kind and I'd appreciate if you feel the need to call someone out you do it with more in a more equitable fashion.
Sorry but we'll kindly ask our people to be more cool when it spirals down to that level. You've been a good poster here for a long time. You know we try to keep things cool. Thanks for helping.

Now let's get this back to 100% football.

Last edited:
Steelers not picking up Fields 5th year option of $25M. No surprise there. Hope they get a deal done for 3-5 yrs, with clauses and bonuses in there to keep him around, at least long enough to see if can be the QB. I dont think Wilson is a long term answer(1 year hopefully, IMO).

So random insider info - Wilson is buying a substantial condo in downtown Pittsburgh and relocating his family there. I'm not sure if that's normal for guys who expect to be in places for a short time (maybe HE expects to be there longer), and I acknowledge that a very pricey place is a drop in the hat to Wilson (and Ciara), but still...I know it all plays out on the field, but he seems to be planning on being there for a bit.

A pricey condo in downtown Pit is $1-2mill maybe? I’m not going to search the listings but even that feels like a stretch. Pit isn’t NYC or LA.

Also there’s just not much going on downtown but you gotta stay somewhere and it is close to both the practice facility in the southside and the stadium on the north shore.

It's Thomas Tull's old place in the Fairmont - Try 5X - 10X that. I totally agree with your comments, but he didn't just buy a place, he bought one of the premier places.

It's Thomas Tull's old place in the Fairmont - Try 5X - 10X that. I totally agree with your comments, but he didn't just buy a place, he bought one of the premier places.
Buying and selling a multi-million dollar house after a short stay and at a loss apparently is no big deal for them.

What I secretly hope happens is that we trade up to 8 with Atlanta and take Rome Odunze ahead of the Bears. If Atlanta wants a defensive player (Turner, Latu, Murphy, etc.) then the could trade down to 20 and then trade back up for whoever they want or just take them at 20. I think this would be a win-win for both teams unless Atl is 100% locked into a single player.

I highly doubt this happens, and it's more likely that we either trade up a couple picks for a tackle or stay at 20 and draft BPA at a position of need.

No new chatter and I did not get to see any draft board etc. so far this year. The leading up to tonight seemed to all focus on free agent and trade candidate WRs, and them drafting one of Fuaga, Fautana, Mims, or Barton in the first, with Frazier being the next best center that they like. They also like McCaffery, but probably not before the 4th or maybe 2nd pick in 3rd at earliest.

Last edited:
NFL.com draft analysts have made various projections for the Steelers’ first-round pick (No. 20):
  • Daniel Jeremiah: OT Tyler Guyton (OKLA)
  • Charles Davis: OC Jackson Powers-Johnson (ORE)
  • Lance Zierlein: OT Taliese Fuaga (ORST)
  • Bucky Brooks: OT Amarius Mims (UGA)
  • Peter Schrager: WR Brian Thomas Jr. (LSU)

NFL.com draft analysts have made various projections for the Steelers’ first-round pick (No. 20):
  • Daniel Jeremiah: OT Tyler Guyton (OKLA)
  • Charles Davis: OC Jackson Powers-Johnson (ORE)
  • Lance Zierlein: OT Taliese Fuaga (ORST)
  • Bucky Brooks: OT Amarius Mims (UGA)
  • Peter Schrager: WR Brian Thomas Jr. (LSU)
And they'll all be wrong. :D

Well that is why he is projecting as a center obviously, but if you are asking me what the concern could be, that is the concern. Not saying it is an overriding one.
Merril Hoge has no concerns. https://steelersdepot.com/2024/04/b...e-compares-graham-barton-to-dermontti-dawson/

This was my mock, please free to mock it!

Round 1 (20): OT Troy Fautanu, Washington
Round 2 (51): C Zach Frazier, WVU
Round 3 (84): CB Andru Phillips, Kentucky
Round 3 (98): WR Luke McCaffrey, Rice
Round 4 (119): ILB Jordan Magee, Temple
Round 6 (178): S Josh Proctor, Ohio State
Round 6 (195): DL Logan Lee, Iowa

Buying and selling a multi-million dollar house after a short stay and at a loss apparently is no big deal for them.

Good find. Apparently that's just how they roll...

This was my mock, please free to mock it!

Round 1 (20): OT Troy Fautanu, Washington
Round 2 (51): C Zach Frazier, WVU
Round 3 (84): CB Andru Phillips, Kentucky
Round 3 (98): WR Luke McCaffrey, Rice
Round 4 (119): ILB Jordan Magee, Temple
Round 6 (178): S Josh Proctor, Ohio State
Round 6 (195): DL Logan Lee, Iowa
You drafted 2 centers?! ;)

Wouldn't hate it...

Fuaga is their top pick. Could be a trade up? Otherwise Fautanu, Mims, Barton or Guyton at #20.
Fuaga would be an amazing pick. Must be a trade up or a gift. He is my favorite RT in the draft. He can move incredibly quick for a large human being. Really stands out watching games which is unusual for an offensive lineman.

Fautanu is athletic but concerning as a tackle. Gets beat both inside and outside at the collegiate level. Would the Steelers move him all the way to center? Most natural NFL fit is guard from most of the draft profiles. If he is a center, could make the middle a massive strength similar to Barton.

Mims is an exciting player. Potentially the best OL in the draft which might be crazy to say, but I believe in him. Might need time to develop but holy **** he is a Mike Tomlin “goon” 100%

Guyton concerns me. Athletic yes! but can he develop? It’s the technical flaws and getting himself out of position. Think he needs good coaching. Shouldn’t start right away so Broderick is stuck on the right side for a long time.

No trades and got this somehow:

20. Taliese Fuaga - OT Oregon State
51. Ruke Orhorhoro - DT Clemson
84. Sedrick Van Pran-Granger - OC Georgia
98. Renardo Green - CB Florida State
119. Luke McCaffrey - WR Rice
178. Tommy Eichenberg - LB Ohio State
195. Logan Lee - DT Iowa

Fuaga is their top pick. Could be a trade up? Otherwise Fautanu, Mims, Barton or Guyton at #20.
If a surprising defensive talent falls to us at 20, do we pass them up for Mims/Barton/Guyton? Like if Dallas Turner, Quinyon Mitchell, Terrion Arnold, or Byron Murphy II is there.

I think there's enough potential talent in round 3 or later, and still available in free agency, that we can afford to put off OT and C if value doesn't present itself. For instance, if we got Dallas Turner at 20 (idk, crazy things happen sometimes), and we get Mike Sainristil in the 2nd, we could maybe get Van Pran and Fisher in the 3rd, or sign Becton and Brian Allen for OT/C depth and take Goncalves and Bortolini or Nourzad late.

Walkthemock, I don't have much luck getting DT early on this site. One last mock with no trades. No redo if I mess up.
Top needs: WR, OT, C, CB, DL

1:20 Fuaga is the #1 RT in this draft. Don't know why WTM lists him as interior OL. Falls to 20 for both Leeroy and me. PLEASE let this happen in the real draft!
2:19 Mock assumes Pittsburgh isn't trading for a WR so had choice between Pearsall and Legette. Big fan of both, but like Pearsall just a bit more. Frazier gone before this pick.
3:20 SVP available at 3:20 is an auto draft. No getting cute trying to land another option later. Considered Khyree Jackson here. No DL worth a 3rd available, punting to the late rounds.
3:34 Smashed Khyree here filling 4 out of 5 major position targets outside DL.
4:19 Brenden Rice and Johnny Wilson available too. Normally I'd go with one of those over McCaffrey, but selected off the apparent interest the Steelers have in Luke.
6:2 Williams was the "BPA" and drafting a rookie SS to develop makes sense. Should have filtered on QB just to bring a guy into camp instead. Don't even know who was available. DOH!
6:19 Logan Lee. Developmental guy on the defense.

PickPlayerPosCollege
1:20Taliese FuagaIOLOregon St.
2:19Ricky PearsallWRFlorida
3:20Sedrick Van PranIOLGeorgia
3:34Khyree JacksonCBOregon
4:19Luke McCaffreyWRRice
6:2James WilliamsSSMiami (FL)
6:19Logan LeeDLIowa

Only landed 4/5 top needs with the top 5 picks, but like how it worked out. Steelers offense stinks which made it easier to go heavy O with the defensive line candidates flying off the board early and often. Very happy to land 2 solid OL and 2 promising WR out of this class. Need Pearsall or Luke to give defenses a reason not to bracket Pickens on every play. Hopefully we get Aiyuk so none of this matters.

If a surprising defensive talent falls to us at 20, do we pass them up for Mims/Barton/Guyton? Like if Dallas Turner, Quinyon Mitchell, Terrion Arnold, or Byron Murphy II is there.

I think there's enough potential talent in round 3 or later, and still available in free agency, that we can afford to put off OT and C if value doesn't present itself. For instance, if we got Dallas Turner at 20 (idk, crazy things happen sometimes), and we get Mike Sainristil in the 2nd, we could maybe get Van Pran and Fisher in the 3rd, or sign Becton and Brian Allen for OT/C depth and take Goncalves and Bortolini or Nourzad late.
Van Pran is Plan C

I have not heard a peep about 1st round defense options. Other than the o-line, the names that surfaced were Adonai Mitchell and Brock Bowers . . . . but they seem highly unlikely.

I have not heard a peep about 1st round defense options. Other than the o-line, the names that surfaced were Adonai Mitchell and Brock Bowers . . . . but they seem highly unlikely.
Idk, many of the mock draft simulators have Bowers lasting to pick 20. I doubt he'd get past 18 at worst, but you never know.

Terrible investment imo by Russ. But it’s not my money. 😂

Brian Thomas
Amarius Mims
Graham Barton
Tailese Fuaga
Terrion Arnold
Arnold by miles.

Thomas is interesting, but there are a lot of people who do not like him. Worries me.
Mims has played 8 games. Too much risk for me. Also very unlikely to play this year.
20 is too high to take a C
Fuaga is a G with his T rex arms

Van Pran is Plan C
No way he can play in Smith's offense. Way too slow

Van Pran is Plan C
No way he can play in Smith's offense. Way too slow
That is who likes him apparently.

Brian Thomas
Amarius Mims
Graham Barton
Tailese Fuaga
Terrion Arnold
Arnold by miles.

Thomas is interesting, but there are a lot of people who do not like him. Worries me.
Mims has played 8 games. Too much risk for me. Also very unlikely to play this year.
20 is too high to take a C
Fuaga is a G with his T rex arms
Arnold the person is definitely a guy Tomlin would love to have. And Arnold the player is great too.

I expect
Colts- CB
Seahawks OL
Jags CB? OT? WR?
Bengals DL
Rams DL

Jags might hold the key to the Steelers pick. Unless a top 2 CB falls I still want a trade down. Less sure there will be demand for the 20th pick though.

Users who are viewing this thread