What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (3 Viewers)

I'm holding 3 DST's for the 3 playoff weeks. Not saying I'll use them all but rather hold them to prevent a possible opponent having one against me :

CLE: CHI, @ HOU, NY J-E-T-S!!
ATL: @CAR, INDY, @CHI
GB: TB, @CAR, @MINN

Right now will likely go ATL, GB, CLE.....can't be upset with 2 Panther games back to back and Jets in the Championship.

Deciding between GB and the Saints this week. GB needs this game playing well but at Giants rested off bye.

Saints banged up but in the dome vs Bryce Young.

I'm holding 3 DST's for the 3 playoff weeks. Not saying I'll use them all but rather hold them to prevent a possible opponent having one against me :

CLE: CHI, @ HOU, NY J-E-T-S!!
ATL: @CAR, INDY, @CHI
GB: TB, @CAR, @MINN

Right now will likely go ATL, GB, CLE.....can't be upset with 2 Panther games back to back and Jets in the Championship.
Exactly what I'm doing. I generally roster 3 at this point in season hoping to gain any edge I can. Got Miami, Houston and Philly.

Deciding between GB and the Saints this week. GB needs this game playing well but at Giants rested off bye.

Gotta think Green Bay will have a let down game one these weeks. Maybe. Id prolly roll Saints at home against Bryce.

Saints have lost 5 of 7 and have played exactly one good game defensively since shutting out the Pats Week 5. They're 2-3 at home and give up an avearage of 24.6 in the dome.

Packers have been playing good complementary football for five weeks versus some good offenses. They're now entering a home stretch with several plus matchups, but none will be more juicy than the Giants.

DSTs facing NYG in our format:
  • Week 1 Cowboys 46.50 DST1
  • Week 2 Cardinals 5.25 DST22
  • Week 3 49ers 15.50 DST7
  • Week 4 Seahawks 36.50 DST1
  • Week 5 Dolphins 16.00 DST6
    5 week median - DST6

Jones injured

• Week 6 Bills 11.75 DST15
  • Week 7 Commanders 13.50 DST9
  • Week 8 Jets 20.25 DST4

• Week 9 Raiders 27.25 DST4

Jones comes back for one game (Wk 9) and is injured again

• Week 10 Cowboys 17.25 DST4
  • Week 11 Commanders 16.25 DST5
  • Week 12 Patriots 16.25 DST8
  • Week 13 bye
    7 week average DST finish - DST7

The Giants have given up the most points to DSTs this year. Their fellow garden state residents have been the 2nd most generous offense. It truly does not matter who starts at QB for the NYJ.

Jets v DSTs
  1. v Bills 8.00 DST23
  2. at Cowboys 19.25 DST3
  3. v Patriots 18.75 DST4
  4. v Chiefs 7.00 DST19
  5. at Broncos 9.00 DST14
  6. v Eagles 10.00 DST18
  7. bye week

It felt kinda hopeful at this point; 3-3, playing tough, offense was somewhat functional (sometimes)

8. at Giants 19.00 DST5
  9. Chargers 32.00 DST2
  10. at Raiders 10.00 DST12
  11. at Bills 28.25 DST1

OK Zach that's enough, you're terrible and give us no shot at winning, we're turning to Tim Boyle
  12. Dolphins 30.25 DST1
  13. Falcons 23.50 DST2
  14. Texans ZACH IS BACK
Houston is projected to be DST5 at Jets
Green Bay is projected to be DST3 at Giants (MNF)

Leaning Texans atm but it's tough to decide.

Saints have lost 5 of 7 and have played exactly one good game defensively since shutting out the Pats Week 5. They're 2-3 at home and give up an avearage of 24.6 in the dome.
I picked up NOS and am thinking about starting them over Dal this week. Must win or I’m out
You have me 2nd guessing myself

I picked up NOS and am thinking about starting them over Dal this week. Must win or I’m out

Well don't let me sowing seeds of FUD (fear-uncertainty-doubt) dissuade you. Their pass rush sucks but they do force a lot of turnovers and Bryce Young has been pretty inept.

I am sticking with the Rams and Texans.

Week 14: Texans @ Jets
Week 15: Rams vs Washington
Week 16: Texans vs Browns
Week 17: Rams @ Giants

Philly and Buffalo are still on waivers (short benches) and have great matchups in Week 16/17 but do not like how they are playing lately.

Well don't let me sowing seeds of FUD (fear-uncertainty-doubt) dissuade you. Their pass rush sucks but they do force a lot of turnovers and Bryce Young has been pretty inept.
That or facts. Ha ha. Fantasy defenses are like fantasy kickers. Everything in the world says to zig and you gotta zag just because.

Gotta think Green Bay will have a let down game one these weeks. Maybe. Id prolly roll Saints at home against Bryce.

That's pretty sobering regarding the Saints D. I know they lost Lattimore to IR and Cam Jordan has been banged up. He has 1 sack in the past 5 games. But even those factors don't seem to totally explain their recent performances. They have 3 total pts in the last 3 games.

Still, next two matchups are spicy.

Down-trending: PHI, BUF, NO, DET, JAX, CLE, WAS, CAR, SEA

Some of the above is due to recent rear-view matchups, and should be discounted. Some of it is due to injuries and/or generally underperforming units. Unless it's clearly the former in a specific case, I'm very cautious with down-trending D's heading into the critical stretch.

Up-trending: IND, MIA, LAR, GB, DEN, CHI

First two here are likely rostered everywhere. Last four are more regularly found on wires right now and have at least a few decent matchups ahead. I excluded other ascending D's that have been rostered all year in my leagues. Let me know if I missed any other potentially available ascenders with decent upcoming matchups.

Some of the above is due to recent rear-view matchups, and should be discounted. Some of it is due to injuries and/or generally underperforming units. Unless it's clearly the former in a specific case, I'm very cautious with down-trending D's heading into the critical stretch.

First two here are likely rostered everywhere. Last four are more regularly found on wires right now and have at least a few decent matchups ahead. I excluded other ascending D's that have been rostered all year in my leagues. Let me know if I missed any other potentially available ascenders with decent upcoming matchups.
Great post. Things change as the year goes on. I'd also watch the KC defense as possible down trending depending on the # of injuries from last week. Seemed like a lot of guys went down.

I'm riding Miami and Denver after that debacle of an effort by Jacksonville Monday night

I'm trying to decide between JAX or CHI ROS.

Jags getting shredded by Browning's Bengals caused me to second guess where they're headed.

Bears Playoff schedule looks great and didn't they start playing great when Sweat joined the team?

Jags getting shredded by Browning's Bengals caused me to second guess where they're headed.

Bears Playoff schedule looks great and didn't they start playing great when Sweat joined the team?
The Jags last performance has me ready to pivot. Think I’m going with GB this week.

Reactions: One

The Jags last performance has me ready to pivot. Think I’m going with GB this week.
I'm rage dropped them. I was never gonna be able to get over Monday night.

in that downtrend list is washington, who play the jets week 16 and cleveland who play the jets week 17.

It's hard to give up on Cleveland with some of the matchups they have coming up. The home vs away points per game differential is huge: 10.2 at home vs 30.7 away.
Three out of next four are at home: Jax, Chi @Hou, then NYJ. They're also getting Ward back this week, and hopefully a healthier Miles Garrett.

It's hard to give up on Cleveland with some of the matchups they have coming up. The home vs away points per game differential is huge: 10.2 at home vs 30.7 away.
Three out of next four are at home: Jax, Chi @Hou, then NYJ. They're also getting Ward back this week, and hopefully a healthier Miles Garrett.
They're my ride or die (also almost all the decent defenses are taken in my league)

The home vs away points per game differential is huge: 10.2 at home vs 30.7 away.
Three out of next four are at home

This is the type of fantastic context I was hoping to see in response to the downtrend-uptrend lists. Thank you.

Reactions: GPS
GB with a ton of defensive injuries. Any locals know if any of these Q tag guys play?

Would be interested to know more detail here. I'm currently starting GB, but considering benching for Miami.

Kinda of feeling a let down vibe where NYGs play a scrappy game and can run the ball with Saquon. Don't think the NYGs are quitting just yet.

Thinking Miami may get up big and force Levis into mistakes.

Picked up Philly as my third D (alongside KC/Cle). Mostly just playing keepaway at this point. Eagles haven't been great, but I will definitely consider rolling them out against NYG/AZ.

My current plan:
  • Week 15: KC @ NE (or maybe Cle vs Chi)
  • Week 16: Phi vs NYG (or KC vs LV)
  • Week 17: Cle vs NYJ (or Phi vs AZ/KC vs Cin)

Broncos just went from a good playoffs DST to an absolute must have. Picked them up for their W16 Pats matchup at home, but now salivating at the thought of them in W17 against whatever an Easton Stick is at home. Yesterday’s 1 INT, 7 points, 6sack, 2FF, 1FR performance against the Chargers is a nice preview of what can happen week 17.

Broncos just went from a good playoffs DST to an absolute must have. Picked them up for their W16 Pats matchup at home, but now salivating at the thought of them in W17 against whatever an Easton Stick is at home. Yesterday’s 1 INT, 7 points, 6sack, 2FF, 1FR performance against the Chargers is a nice preview of what can happen week 17.
Agree.

Hoping to drop GB and get them this week. May be off the radar for some with a matchup against DET in week 15.

Agree.

Hoping to drop GB and get them this week. May be off the radar for some with a matchup against DET in week 15.

Already picked up Den in a spot for week 16 vs NE. This just makes them $ for 2 weeks.

Had a feeling NYG would be scrappy against the GB D. Was originally going to hold them for a week 16 matchup @CAR, but now not so sure. Also see DEN D available who faces NE at home and then LAC potentially minus Herbert.

Anyone dumping GB with them having Carolina next week if you win?

Lots of options out there. Trying to play keep away.

I’m rolling with KC at NE. KC should be pissed. NE off 10 days rest though.

I also have NO in the bubble vs. NYG. Devito loud road game? Short rest.

I also have GB stashed.

The Rams and Raiders both have nice matchups.

Anyone dumping GB with them having Carolina next week if you win?

Lots of options out there. Trying to play keep away.

I’m rolling with KC at NE. KC should be pissed. NE off 10 days rest though.

I also have NO in the bubble vs. NYG. Devito loud road game? Short rest.

I also have GB stashed.

The Rams and Raiders both have nice matchups.
Keeping or getting GB D is my biggest decision today.

I have MIA (vs NYJ), but I'm suddenly less comfortable with them. Also have CHI (which have great matchups weeks 16 and 17).

I'm tempted to drop GB and pickup either KC (@NE) or DEN (great week 16 and 17 matchups).

There's a chance GB could sit this week. Their projection against TB isn't that great.

Looks like I'm ditching HOU defense now.

Opinions on who is the better D/ST to pick up based on their weeks 16/17 matchups?

DEN (NE, LAC)
CHI (ARI, ATL)

all home games... I'm leaning DEN but will put in a claim for CHI as a consolation if someone beats me to 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread