What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (1 Viewer)

Wow, wtf are you looking at?
My fault.  You are looking at their default rankings where they pull in experts from around the industry.  Really depends on the experts IMO.  I'm not sure how they derive their Def rankings.  When it comes to FantasyPros I usually go in and select the expert I know who is solid for that position.

While they may not be available, Chargers and Broncos have solid matchups this week.

I like the Jags chances against Denver but worth checking on injuries to secondary.

I think the Steelers might be a good play as well vs CIN.

Baltimore is on my wire, and while I don't trust their match up against division rival Brows, eyeing them for potential long term hold/platoon with the Pats.

The other direction I am thinking is that with the Pats D, the two best Ds that can be used long term to platoon are NYJ and MIA. This sounds absolutely nuts. But their schedules are cake starting with NE's bye in Week 7, and thinking of making a play for one of them (likely the Jets) by Week 5.

Someone talk me out of it -- who else are you looking at for potential longer term holds/platooning?

GB has been good the first three weeks...next few weeks will test for sure if they are a start every week D.

Sacks and turnovers have been keeping them up.

While they may not be available, Chargers and Broncos have solid matchups this week.

I like the Jags chances against Denver but worth checking on injuries to secondary.

I think the Steelers might be a good play as well vs CIN.

Baltimore is on my wire, and while I don't trust their match up against division rival Brows, eyeing them for potential long term hold/platoon with the Pats.

The other direction I am thinking is that with the Pats D, the two best Ds that can be used long term to platoon are NYJ and MIA. This sounds absolutely nuts. But their schedules are cake starting with NE's bye in Week 7, and thinking of making a play for one of them (likely the Jets) by Week 5.

Someone talk me out of it -- who else are you looking at for potential longer term holds/platooning?
Baltimore's next 3 games are cle, pit, and cincy. That's as no brainer as it gets. 

Titans sucked.  Colts or pitt?

I’m looking at the same two D trying to decide as well.  Leaning Colts.
I'm by far an expert prognosticator, and -- spoiler alert -- my advice is not going to help. But FWIW, both of these teams seem to be playing down to their opponents on D -- both got scored on plenty except for the Colts in Week 2 who just did enough to beat the anemic Titans offense. Both are solid on paper but not living up to expectations.

This week I think it's a coin-flip between them. Seems easy to lean Colts against a reeling Raiders squad whose offense isn't scaring anyone. That said, the Steelers, IMHO have better overall talent on D, and I like them playing angry at home against a divisional foe.

Baltimore's next 3 games are cle, pit, and cincy. That's as no brainer as it gets. 
Good take -- CLE is definitely not what they were touted to be coming into the season, PIT is staggering, and CIN started off torrid but cooled right off.

You are right that these are good match ups to target given how these teams are recently playing, but FWIW, I don't think they are totally no-brainers. CLE and CIN seem like they can turn any game around on a dime -- both have some tangible offensive skill talent. PIT is an enigma to me this year.

I'm by far an expert prognosticator, and -- spoiler alert -- my advice is not going to help. But FWIW, both of these teams seem to be playing down to their opponents on D -- both got scored on plenty except for the Colts in Week 2 who just did enough to beat the anemic Titans offense. Both are solid on paper but not living up to expectations.

This week I think it's a coin-flip between them. Seems easy to lean Colts against a reeling Raiders squad whose offense isn't scaring anyone. That said, the Steelers, IMHO have better overall talent on D, and I like them playing angry at home against a divisional foe.

Good take -- CLE is definitely not what they were touted to be coming into the season, PIT is staggering, and CIN started off torrid but cooled right off.

You are right that these are good match ups to target given how these teams are recently playing, but FWIW, I don't think they are totally no-brainers. CLE and CIN seem like they can turn any game around on a dime -- both have some tangible offensive skill talent. PIT is an enigma to me this year.
Been doing research and agree. Pitt has more upside.  I think Colts are getting attention because they are favored by 7.

Have GB and Jax (though not really happy about the next few weeks of matchups.  And now Baltimore just hit the wire for some reason.  Their overall schedule looks very appealing.

Id have no issues playing Buffalo this week. The Pats oline is in shambles. They have shut down three 0-3 teams but their offense hasnt been that great. Heck, the Jets defense/special teams managed to score 2 TDs vs them (you know someone in my league actually started the Jets def last week!).

If you get points for special team TDs, consider NO and Deonte Harris. He had a punt return TD last week and one in the preseason. Almost Hester-like. It's a touch matchup against an improved Dak, but he was one of the most sacked QBs last year.

Texans or Panthers worth a look over Steelers and Colts? Seems like those two defenses are actually good. Houston is at home against an inexperienced QB, while Carolina will undoubtedly record multiple sacks against Watson. That Steelers D on MNF vs Dalton could be good, but they scare me. Colts too. 

Anyone excited about DEN D this week with a fairly high rating even though they haven't done d i c k yet? I mean 0 points total through 3 weeks, correct?

I'm thinking of sticking with MIN D ranked much lower. 

I’ve got BUF going against Pats currently.  JAX was sniped before on waivers this morning, so next best options are DAL, CAR, PIT, and Indy.  Sacks are scored highly, so thinking CAR and PIT are the most favorable choices

Have GB and Jax (though not really happy about the next few weeks of matchups.  And now Baltimore just hit the wire for some reason.  Their overall schedule looks very appealing.
I think BAL seems like a pretty trustworthy D, and their schedule prior to their bye -- CLE, @PIT, CIN, @SEA seems to have opportunities (have not done deep dives on data), but these teams also seem like they could put up points and have solid skill offensive players, so not sure.

After the bye, with NE, @ CIN, HOU, LAR seems tricky to depend on them.

Their stretch into the playoffs -- SF, @ BUF, NYJ, @CLE -- seems lighter, but again, aside form the Jets, these teams have been looking good, or could be dangerous in terms of offensive skill positions.

Not sure what to think about BAL, if they are more name brand D that are eminently streamable or have long term hold potential.

kind of like the Colts, but only a little
I don't. Not much in the way of fantasy points to date, and they play zone and have trouble against the run. Gruden has sort of made it a point to say Jacobs will get touches on the ground and in the air.

Don't let me deter you, though. That's just one man's opinion. 

Grabbed Baltimore off the wire in one league and picked up Seattle for free after waivers in another. Arizona is exciting but they are letting up a lot of DST points this year so far. 

I think BAL seems like a pretty trustworthy D, and their schedule prior to their bye -- CLE, @PIT, CIN, @SEA seems to have opportunities (have not done deep dives on data), but these teams also seem like they could put up points and have solid skill offensive players, so not sure.

After the bye, with NE, @ CIN, HOU, LAR seems tricky to depend on them.

Their stretch into the playoffs -- SF, @ BUF, NYJ, @CLE -- seems lighter, but again, aside form the Jets, these teams have been looking good, or could be dangerous in terms of offensive skill positions.

Not sure what to think about BAL, if they are more name brand D that are eminently streamable or have long term hold potential.
For now Im stuck holding Jacksonville and GB.  Unless I just really need a pickup...I may likely hold as I like the matchups those two can offer me.  (Jags getting the Jets when GB plays KC is a big one...while Baltimore is on a bye).  Balt also was just dropped...so the waiver process has to run Saturday morning and Im not likely to land them even if I wanted to.

Thinking about GB tonight or might go grab Denver.  Only negative is 3 GB players playing tonight.

What's everyone's opinion on the Packers vs. what I thought a good Eagles O-line and pass game?

Oof. Only position I have going tonight, and I'm -1.

Ouch.
Yeah...that was a bad night.  Philly attacked them the right way...didn't get behind the sticks...and hit them at their weakest point.  Good job by them.  (and the next few weeks don't look good for GB either).

Yeah...that was a bad night.  Philly attacked them the right way...didn't get behind the sticks...and hit them at their weakest point.  Good job by them.  (and the next few weeks don't look good for GB either).
Yeah, as much as I'd heard about the defense of the Packers, Philly has looked like they can really move the ball this year. And they apparently did.

Yeah, as much as I'd heard about the defense of the Packers, Philly has looked like they can really move the ball this year. And they apparently did.
Yeah...they did.  Sort of a philosphy and personnel error by GB.  They try to go light and fast and got burnt bad up the middle (and looked slow doing it).  They play so much nickel D and they don't have the personnel to really go big in the middle.  

Same. I was feeling pretty good about GB as a set and forget D ros; reconsidering that now.

I may be forced to but scared.  Don't want to drop anyone else on my team and don't care for any of the other Ds out there Texans, Indy long term.  
Denver

Houston

Carolina 

or the Bills for me too. Bills sound like an awfully fun pick to laugh at your league mates in the face and look like a pro if it goes right, or get tomatoes thrown at you if it goes terribly wrong.  My biggest fear is that the Bills themselves can’t score points or move the ball on offense and that doesn’t set up well for their defense.

Denver

Houston

Carolina 

or the Bills for me too. Bills sound like an awfully fun pick to laugh at your league mates in the face and look like a pro if it goes right, or get tomatoes thrown at you if it goes terribly wrong.  My biggest fear is that the Bills themselves can’t score points or move the ball on offense and that doesn’t set up well for their defense.
Actually all those Ds are available.  Denver hasn't posted a single sack so far???  Houston and Carolina could be a shoot-out. 

I like and dislike the Bills for all the reasons you stated.  I think they are overall the better option talent-wise of all those teams, agree?

Actually all those Ds are available.  Denver hasn't posted a single sack so far???  Houston and Carolina could be a shoot-out. 

I like and dislike the Bills for all the reasons you stated.  I think they are overall the better option talent-wise of all those teams, agree?
I would agree. Denver has done NOTHING to earn their High projecting this week and I’m not about to mess with the mustache of Gardner Menshew.  Don’t need any bad juju on my team.

My sneaky pick of the week that I may roll with is KC @ Detroit.  KC put up 5 and 11 points in their first two away games before facing a good team in Baltimore. I’m not convinced Detroit is a good team, and Stafford always has a game where he gets a little wild with the football. If KC gets up big early which they easily could, Stafford might get a little loose with the ball.

Denver

Houston

Carolina 

I dropped the Bills for Green Bay this week. That worked FABULOUSLY 

Users who are viewing this thread