What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (8 Viewers)

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Lots of people may have scooped up MIA. I wasn't one of them given waiver priority.  :cry:

But in the interest of looking down the stretch with Ds that have become "hot" as of late and that streamers may have nabbed from wires, wanted to see what people thought about best D pairings through ROS.

Starting with MIA, who have a great three game stretch of @DEN, @NYJ, CIN. They finish with KC, NE, and LV -- I think MIA has the ability to play tough, but imagine you would look for other options against KC, and NE and LV can put up points (though performance varies). Assuming Ds like the 9ers, Bears, etc. are taken.

So for weeks 14-16, some viable candidates to pair with MIA might be:

• SEA: NYJ, @WAS, LAR -- love the match ups, can't trust the D though
  • CAR: DEN, @GB, @WAS -- Panthers really struggle on D, not sure I could trust them either.
  • CLE: BAL, @NYG, @NYJ -- BAL may be a better match up than KC, but NYG are warming up.
  • TEN: @JAC, DET, @GB -- I like the first two match ups, but think you'd never play them in the final week of the fantasy season in Lambeau
  • HOU: @CHI, @IND, CIN -- hmm... Not like you can trust HOU either, but CHI is beatable, CIN sucks, and IND is the wildcard there
  • GB: @DET, CAR, TEN -- like the first two match ups, not the last one
So if it's me, I think I'd be most comfortable with stacking MIA and CLE based on schedule match and Ds with talent that might be trustworthy.

I'll do NO now -- a D I also don't have, but one that seems a lot of people have picked up.

NO faces ATL, @DEN, @ATL, @ PHI, KC, and MIN. I think NO can contain Atlanta but it's a divisional game, and Atlanta still has offensive skill. So ideally you'd be looking for options in weeks 11, 13, 15, and 16.

Some pairings might be:

• CIN: @WAS, NYG @MIA, DAL, PIT, @ HOU -- this ticks the box for options in weeks 11 and 16, and I think DAL may be slightly better than facing PHI at the moment, but can you trust CIN? Nah, didn't think so
  • CLE: PHI, @JAC, @TEN, BAL, @NYG, @NYJ -- ticks boxes for 11 (depending on how you feel about ATL vs PHI), perhaps week 15 if the Giants start to fade and certainly the Jets
  • HOU: NE, @DET, IND, @CHI, @IND, CIN -- maybe? NE and IND are really unpredictable for a D to face
  • KC: @LV, @TB, DEN, @MIA, @NO, ATL -- maybe not available, but maybe dropped because of their bye. Ticks off weeks 11, 13, and would absolutely start KC v NO if Brees is still out than the other way around, and ATL is variable.
  • MIA: @DEN, @ NYJ, CIN, KC, NE, @LV -- if you are able to scoop them too, this might be the stack to have.
  • MIN: DAL, CAR, JAC, @TB, CHI, @NO -- ticks off weeks 11 and 13 for sure, potentially 15, then a coin toss between the two in week 16
So again, if it's me, if you can't stack MIA and NO, I'd be looking at MIN or KC.

Anyone else with a view on what overall two Ds are best to pair down the stretch?
I have NO currently and outside of week 14 don't like the matchups. 

Slim pickins on my wire but I see AZ, SEA, and CAR right now that come next week (if I'm in the catbird's seat in my division) I'm going after them.

Arizona has a pretty nice playoff schedule, with weeks 14-16: @ NYG, vs PHI, vs SF.  This could pair nicely with Miami's D.

I'm just debating if I'd rather have AZ or SEA for the fantasy playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if Kamara sits?

I still think I’m rolling Cleveland. But it would feel a bit juicier if you are hoping for a famous Jameis 4 pick game.
Yeah, if Kamara sits it gets a bit more interesting, although Latavius has shown he’s no slouch when he’s had his number called in the past. 

I still think I’d roll with the Browns though. Wentz has looked a little like Jameis himself lately as he’s been playing terrible. Philly gives up a ton of sacks.

Lots of people may have scooped up MIA. I wasn't one of them given waiver priority.  :cry:

But in the interest of looking down the stretch with Ds that have become "hot" as of late and that streamers may have nabbed from wires, wanted to see what people thought about best D pairings through ROS.

Starting with MIA, who have a great three game stretch of @DEN, @NYJ, CIN. They finish with KC, NE, and LV -- I think MIA has the ability to play tough, but imagine you would look for other options against KC, and NE and LV can put up points (though performance varies). Assuming Ds like the 9ers, Bears, etc. are taken.

I'll do NO now -- a D I also don't have, but one that seems a lot of people have picked up.

NO faces ATL, @DEN, @ATL, @ PHI, KC, and MIN. I think NO can contain Atlanta but it's a divisional game, and Atlanta still has offensive skill. So ideally you'd be looking for options in weeks 11, 13, 15, and 16.

Some pairings might be:

• MIA: @DEN, @ NYJ, CIN, KC, NE, @LV -- if you are able to scoop them too, this might be the stack to have.
So again, if it's me, if you can't stack MIA and NO, I'd be looking at MIN or KC.

Anyone else with a view on what overall two Ds are best to pair down the stretch?
Crazy post, Tom. I paired NO with MIA about a week before you wrote this. Looking for that combo to take my streaming ### home.

Uh yeah, forget everything I just said about liking Browns this week. With no Garrett that D is a stay away.
I remember when Chase Young was being compared to the Bosa brothers. I was like, forget that, what about Myles Garrett? If he's 3/4 as talented as him, Young will be in the league for a long time. I get that Nick went to OSU like Young so it's easy, but the best DL in the game might be Myles. Yes, way over Aaron Donald.

Not that I dig the dude's personality or demeanor whatsoever, but that's another story for another day.

Yeah, if Kamara sits it gets a bit more interesting, although Latavius has shown he’s no slouch when he’s had his number called in the past. 

I still think I’d roll with the Browns though. Wentz has looked a little like Jameis himself lately as he’s been playing terrible. Philly gives up a ton of sacks.
And now Taysom Hill named the starter. Falcons could be about as high risk high reward as it gets this week.

How do we like the Rams against statue-esque Brady?  I was kinda surprised to see that the Bucs have only given up 14 sacks this year.  I've currently got the Chargers going against the Jets, but I only have room for one defense on my roster, and I'd kinda like to snag the Rams for ROS.
I picked up the WFT to pair w Rams and started WFT last week.   I’m still leaning towards WFT this week but I may be overthinking this.  The Rams D looked really solid last week while WFT did not.  

I picked up the WFT to pair w Rams and started WFT last week.   I’m still leaning towards WFT this week but I may be overthinking this.  The Rams D looked really solid last week while WFT did not.  
Yeah, I have the Rams as well and was going to dump Philly for the Browns this week, but the Garrett news is pushing me off of them completely. I’m debating just going with the Rams myself and freeing up a roster spot for another waiver flier. Playing Philly D in a supposed better matchup (vs Gmen) over the Rams (vs. Seattle) cost me a win last week. 
Brady put up a ton of points vs a garbage Panthers D, but I think this Rams pass rush will be able to get to him. And we all know he’s a statue out there. Think this game will be lower scoring than people think. Two great defenses going at it on Monday night. With the streaming options available this week, they all seem pretty shaky to begin with. 
And as a Skins fan, I would share your concern vs. Cincy. They’ll get a nice baseline of sacks vs Burrow, but he’ll carve up their secondary.

Yeah, I have the Rams as well and was going to dump Philly for the Browns this week, but the Garrett news is pushing me off of them completely. I’m debating just going with the Rams myself and freeing up a roster spot for another waiver flier. Playing Philly D in a supposed better matchup (vs Gmen) over the Rams (vs. Seattle) cost me a win last week. 
Brady put up a ton of points vs a garbage Panthers D, but I think this Rams pass rush will be able to get to him. And we all know he’s a statue out there. Think this game will be lower scoring than people think. Two great defenses going at it on Monday night. With the streaming options available this week, they all seem pretty shaky to begin with. 
And as a Skins fan, I would share your concern vs. Cincy. They’ll get a nice baseline of sacks vs Burrow, but he’ll carve up their secondary.
I’m dropping Cleveland and pairing Rams with New Orleans rest of season.

I’m dropping Cleveland and pairing Rams with New Orleans rest of season.
So you going with the Rams this week then? I’m surprised they were on your wire. I’ve been playing and holding them for a while just due their playoff schedule alone. NE week 14, but primarily Jets week 15. That’s a nice edge to help you through the semis into the finals.

So you going with the Rams this week then? I’m surprised they were on your wire. I’ve been playing and holding them for a while just due their playoff schedule alone. NE week 14, but primarily Jets week 15. That’s a nice edge to help you through the semis into the finals.
We have short 5 man benches so tough to hold two. They got dropped before the Seattle game. And we’re still just sitting there because yahoo projects them to not score much this week.

Im basically out of the playoff race if I lose these next 3 weeks so I really need to focus on what matchup gives me the best chance to win this weekend, and the next 2.

Cleveland was not it. Holding the Rams for now. 

Debating if I wanna just drop Chargers (despite them facing the Jets this week) to pick up Rams, or drop Hines, pick up Rams for ROS, but still keep Chargers and dump them after this week.  

We have short 5 man benches so tough to hold two. They got dropped before the Seattle game. And we’re still just sitting there because yahoo projects them to not score much this week.

Im basically out of the playoff race if I lose these next 3 weeks so I really need to focus on what matchup gives me the best chance to win this weekend, and the next 2.

Cleveland was not it. Holding the Rams for now. 
Well if you get by with the Rams this week, they have a good matchup with a bombed out Nick Mullens led Niners team next week. Week 13 vs the Cards is an issue, but I also thought that would be the case last week vs Seattle and they fared pretty well. It all depends what’s on your wire of course, but if forced to only carry one D, I’d be hard pressed to give up the Rams for what’s out there this week.

Saints just signed Trevor Siemian as their 3rd QB behind Taysom and Jameis. Yikes!

Saints may be a team to auto-stream against for the foreseeable future.

Well if you get by with the Rams this week, they have a good matchup with a bombed out Nick Mullens led Niners team next week. Week 13 vs the Cards is an issue, but I also thought that would be the case last week vs Seattle and they fared pretty well. It all depends what’s on your wire of course, but if forced to only carry one D, I’d be hard pressed to give up the Rams for what’s out there this week.
I am carrying two currently. Saints and Rams. They matchup pretty well together over the next few weeks and into the playoffs.

VikingFrog said:
I am carrying two currently. Saints and Rams. They matchup pretty well together over the next few weeks and into the playoffs.
Thinking of doing this myself. I currently have the bears and Saints and hate to drop the bears, but looking at the schedule I’ve been really leaning towards dropping them and scooping up the Rams  to pair with the Saints 

CB Marshon Lattimore Expected To Be Out

Good news for Atlanta. Diana Russini reports, "On a day the New Orleans Saints are starting a new quarterback in Taysom Hill, sources tell ESPN the Saints defense is going to be without their key CB Marshon Lattimore. I’m told he will not be active against the Falcons."

I have the touch of death this year. Started Miami finally against the 2nd worst offense in the league. They proc ed to have their worst fantasy day of the season. 

At least I'm done now. No chance at the playoffs. 

So this week (even though I'm out), I have Miami and Seattle who are looking like really solid plays as they go against the 32nd and 31st offense respectively. 

I have the Giants and the Dolphins D.  Next 2 weeks are must win for me.  I get to go against the Bengals with each.  The stats I just heard on Ryan Finley have me salivating.  No Mixon either.  Should at least improve my odds. Not sure beyond that but have to get to the dance first.

I have the touch of death this year. Started Miami finally against the 2nd worst offense in the league. They proc ed to have their worst fantasy day of the season. 

At least I'm done now. No chance at the playoffs. 
Same. Only 2 teams in my league stream and he is leading league in points from a defense and I am last, a few more do it but tend to have 1 defense they keep and lean on.

Starting this week I am stashing defenses. I have 4 right now. Sticking with good matchups but trying to make sure they are home games as well.

Some news for those who are contemplating starting the Giants Defense:

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Brandon Allen will start Week 12 against the Giants.

He gets the start over Ryan Finley. Allen was just called up from the practice squad this week, but the Bengals feel comfortable enough to start him down the stretch with Joe Burrow (knee) out for the season. Allen struggled in three spot starts for the Broncos last year, completing 46% of his passes with a 3:2 TD/INT ratio. Even in a favorable matchup with the Giants' secondary, the entire Bengals offense should be downgraded with Allen starting.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Nov 25, 2020, 9:32 AM ET

News for those who are contemplating starting the Browns Defense:

Jaguars QB Mike Glennon to start Sunday against Browns
In related news, Browns will be without their top CB (Denzel Ward) who will miss a few weeks due to a calf injury.  They will also be without DE Myles Garrett for the game vs Jax.  As a Browns fan, that defense can live without one of those, but losing both is a big hit.  The secondary was already a weakness.  Losing Ward makes it worse.

In related news, Browns will be without their top CB (Denzel Ward) who will miss a few weeks due to a calf injury.  They will also be without DE Myles Garrett for the game vs Jax.  As a Browns fan, that defense can live without one of those, but losing both is a big hit.  The secondary was already a weakness.  Losing Ward makes it worse.
The Browns will be fine.    They will chew up clock with their ground game and the defense is not going to threatened by the current Jags offense.  

The Browns will be fine.    They will chew up clock with their ground game and the defense is not going to threatened by the current Jags offense.  
Oh...I'm not worried about them beating the Jags.  I think that's a very good possibility.  (It's the browns, they could lose...but I'm jaded a bit after having too much optimism in the past).

I was more or less stating from a Defensive scoring potential.  These two missing the game could result in fewer sacks, fumbles, and/or interceptions.  The defensive line stepped up big last week.  I'd like to see them do that again this week.  But the secondary is really bad.  Ward was the lone spotlight. Ronnie Harrison (safety) was another good player, but he got nicked up last week as well.  Not sure if he'll be out there this week.   I'm curious to see just how aggressive Woods will be with the patchwork secondary he'll be working with this week.

Looking for thoughts on the 49ers.  On our waiver and probably should be.

are they getting any pieces back where they could rebound and be a force late season?  Or is this the norm going forward

Just in time for Thanksgiving, Turkey neck Glennon makes his 2020 debut. His high altitude POV really helps him survey the defense.

Jokes aside, this has to be an upgrade over Luton and his 4 pack of picks. I could see Chark making some noise. Garrett out so Robinson might be able to extend some drives. Browns will win of course, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Jax puts up more points than expected. Browns secondary is a disaster. And they aren’t playing in the friendly, wind assisted confines of their home stadium this week. 

Looking at defenses the rest of the way and liking Seattle’s matchups in weeks 14 and 15 (Jets and Wash) but targeting Az as well who has 3 great playoff matchups (Giants, Eagles, 49ers). 
In that same league, I own Indy but just can’t get myself to start them against better offenses but they keep putting up good points. Am I overthinking this and just start Indy the rest of the way or should I look at these lesser Ds with better matchups in the playoffs?

It's too bad Dallas is such a pos D this year. Cupcake city here on through the playoffs.

They have WAS, @BAL @CIN, SF, and PHI.

Solid stretch of home games and erratic or struggling offenses.

It's too bad Dallas is such a pos D this year. Cupcake city here on through the playoffs.

They have WAS, @BAL @CIN, SF, and PHI.

Solid stretch of home games and erratic or struggling offenses.
I was thinking the same thing as well. Might start them today because I want to avoid the banged up Ravens D vs the Steelers. 

How does everyone else feel about the Chiefs D this week? 

Grabbed the Raiders for the NYJ matchup next week. Have a few shares of NYG, Sea, LAR, Cle already. 
Tempted to do the same. Already have NO (@ATL) and SEA (vs NYG).

I have no read on the LV D. Are they really any good? 

The NYJ have been miserable but they are showing signs of life on offense. Mims/Crowder/Perriman not too shabby.

I've been thinking about the Bears for next week versus Lions.  Stafford with thumb injury that is likely to be an issue for a while.  Golladay, Amendola and Swift out this week, but wouldn't be surprised to see them back next week.  Might see Patricia fired this week if Lions are blown out by Texans.  Could either be a ferocious last-chance bounce-back next week by the Lions or a run for the bus.

I was thinking the same thing as well. Might start them today because I want to avoid the banged up Ravens D vs the Steelers. 

How does everyone else feel about the Chiefs D this week? 
Doing the same...Dallas D over Baltimore this week.  Don't love it but who even knows if they play Sunday and cannot afford a total goose egg

I've been thinking about the Bears for next week versus Lions.  Stafford with thumb injury that is likely to be an issue for a while.  Golladay, Amendola and Swift out this week, but wouldn't be surprised to see them back next week.  Might see Patricia fired this week if Lions are blown out by Texans.  Could either be a ferocious last-chance bounce-back next week by the Lions or a run for the bus.
If all of those are still out for the Lions I would start the Bears D. 

joey said:
Looking at defenses the rest of the way and liking Seattle’s matchups in weeks 14 and 15 (Jets and Wash) but targeting Az as well who has 3 great playoff matchups (Giants, Eagles, 49ers). 
In that same league, I own Indy but just can’t get myself to start them against better offenses but they keep putting up good points. Am I overthinking this and just start Indy the rest of the way or should I look at these lesser Ds with better matchups in the playoffs?
I just cut the Colts for the Cards. The upcoming schedule for the Colts D is not good at all and they've slowed down since their very hot start.

Users who are viewing this thread