What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (3 Viewers)

Options this week:

NYG @ Arizona -- This is the chalk streaming pick. We assume Giants are better than they looked on SNF. And Arizona didn't look horrible vs Washington, but they didn't score an offensive TD either. Also, this is an absolute one-week-only pick, since they play SF in Week 3.

Cleveland @ Pitt -- This is the "bet on a D that could make the leap" option. Contra the Giants, Browns are probably not as good as they looked in Week 1 (and Steelers offense probably isn't as bad as it looked). But they were already on my radar after adding Schwartz as DC. If you use them this week and they continue to perform, they are probably worth holding on to for Week 3 (Tenn) and maybe even 4 (Balt), and then go on bye.

Other options:
Wash @ Denver
Miami @ NE

was pretty happy when I got up for my morning bowel movement (TMI) & saw Detroit didn't get picked up during the waiver run

I was less than thrilled when I after I got my :coffeecup: I couldn't find them

some stupid slub also got up at 5 a.m. and picked them up while I was putzing around

guess i'm rolling with the Broncos at home

zero sacks 1 INT week 1, PFF graded their defense in the bottom quartile in most categories except run defense

debating if I should be on the other side and roll with the Commanders instead

Browns (@ PIT) and Bucs (v CHI) also out there

holding the Ravens (I'm generally higher than consensus on BAL) but worried about a Bengals bounce back at home

I don't think I've seen the Jets mentioned anywhere for fantasy, is that because they are already taken in everyone's leagues or is there something I am missing?

Cardinals could be a good streaming option, they had 6 sacks, 3 TOs, 1 TD against the WFT week 1, this week they have the Giants at home.

Probably one of the first 3 defenses drafted in all formats

Gannon is **cough** a defensive minded coach but I’m not sure they have the dudes to sustain that production

Could be off base but it felt more like poor execution & mistakes by the Commanders than the Cardinals making plays?

was pretty happy when I got up for my morning bowel movement (TMI) & saw Detroit didn't get picked up during the waiver run

I was less than thrilled when I after I got my :coffeecup: I couldn't find them

some stupid slub also got up at 5 a.m. and picked them up while I was putzing around
I thought I could wait till the last couple rounds of the draft because Detroit was ranked so low in most places. Wrong, the biggest homer in the league took them in the middle rounds (he has 4 Lions including the kicker [!] ).

Options this week:

NYG @ Arizona -- This is the chalk streaming pick. We assume Giants are better than they looked on SNF. And Arizona didn't look horrible vs Washington, but they didn't score an offensive TD either. Also, this is an absolute one-week-only pick, since they play SF in Week 3.

Cleveland @ Pitt -- This is the "bet on a D that could make the leap" option. Contra the Giants, Browns are probably not as good as they looked in Week 1 (and Steelers offense probably isn't as bad as it looked). But they were already on my radar after adding Schwartz as DC. If you use them this week and they continue to perform, they are probably worth holding on to for Week 3 (Tenn) and maybe even 4 (Balt), and then go on bye.

Other options:
Wash @ Denver
Miami @ NE

Picked up NYG last week for this AZ matchup and also grabbed CLE in waivers last night. Debating those two.

Have to think Dabol has the NYG fired up after total embarrassment. They can't be that bad.

Think you are right on CLE...they could be ready to make a jump in tier. They have a great D line and that secondary looked damn good. That said, the weather probably played a part. A strike against CLE D is PItt's utter dominance on Monday night football. Haven't lost in how many games. It's ridiculous. On the flip side, no D. Johnson.

I'll be grappling with this choice until Sunday.

Don't want Denver. Seems like a better real life D vs. fantasy. Keeps points low, but never has any disruptive plays.

I don't think I've seen the Jets mentioned anywhere for fantasy, is that because they are already taken in everyone's leagues or is there something I am missing?
Jets looking really good. They are available currently in one of my leagues. That schedule though maybe scares people off. They produced well against the Bills so maybe they're matchup proof.

Cardinals could be a good streaming option, they had 6 sacks, 3 TOs, 1 TD against the WFT week 1, this week they have the Giants at home.

Gannon is **cough** a defensive minded coach but I’m not sure they have the dudes to sustain that production

Could be off base but it felt more like poor execution & mistakes by the Commanders than the Cardinals making plays?

What we learned about the Cardinals' defense in Week 1

No offense to Cards fans, but Dennis Gardeck graded out as their best pass rusher Sunday. He's an Edge player who has never topped 210 snaps since coming into the league as a UDFA practice Squad guy out of D-II Sioux Falls. 5 true pass rushes, 2 sacks and a QB hit. As a team they ranked 20th-24th in most broad categories except Tackling - 10th best team grade.

Like I said, not sure they have the dude's to sustain the kind of production they had Week 1.

I own Washington and they did good, and the Denver offense doesn’t really scare me.

But I’m heavily eyeballing Detroit. Sellout crowd for a hyped season at home. Seattle is down their LT and RT and didn’t score at all after they went out in the first half last week. And Hutch seems ready to eat. And they held their own against one of the best offenses in the league away. Putting blinders on to last year, they seem ready to eat.

I’m also eyeballing the Giants. The cardinals are not good. Their QB threw for 120 yards. The giants had a tough start, but it also wasn’t totally on their defense and it’s easy to play a deflated game after getting punched in the mouth to begin. Putting blinders on to the last game, they seem ready to eat.

The Overhang: In short time, Pat Surtain II looks like a shutdown cornerback and one of NFL's best

Excerpt:

The Plan: The Browns' pass rush and changing pictures like a Hogwarts painting

Looks like Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz couldn’t wait to call plays again. In Sunday's wet conditions in Cleveland, he unleashed the Browns' upgraded pass rush and kept Joe Burrow and the dangerous Bengals passing attack off-kilter and toothless the entire afternoon. Burrow finished 14-of-31 for 82 yards, and the Bengals finished without an explosive pass (a reception of 16 or more yards) for the first time in Burrow’s career.

The Browns blitzed on 41.2% of their defensive snaps, creating havoc up front and letting Myles Garrett and new pieces such as Za’Darius Smith, Ogbo Okoronkwo and Dalvin Tomlinson exploit one-on-ones with Bengals offensive linemen while bearing down on a less than 100 percent Burrow. That heat led to 10 quarterback hits and pressures on more than half of Burrow’s dropbacks.

The Browns blitzed often on third and fourth downs, but they also changed up their coverage looks after the snap when they chose not to bring extra pass-rushers. That frequently forced Burrow to spend an extra half-second confirming what he saw, limiting the Bengals to converting only two of their 16 third- and fourth-down attempts.

With a Browns pass rush that averaged 1.95 seconds to pressure the QB — the sixth-fastest by an NFL defense in a game since 2019 — every split second of hesitation got only more dangerous for Burrow to hold the ball and avoid getting hit. It led to more checkdowns to tight ends and running backs short of the first-down marker and fewer balls headed to star receivers Ja’Marr Chase and Tee Higgins.

Garrett's fourth-down sack that sealed the game for the Browns early in the fourth quarter was a perfect example of Cleveland showing one look pre-snap before changing the picture post-snap.

I own Washington and they did good, and the Denver offense doesn’t really scare me.

But I’m heavily eyeballing Detroit. Sellout crowd for a hyped season at home. Seattle is down their LT and RT and didn’t score at all after they went out in the first half last week. And Hutch seems ready to eat. And they held their own against one of the best offenses in the league away. Putting blinders on to last year, they seem ready to eat.

I’m also eyeballing the Giants. The cardinals are not good. Their QB threw for 120 yards. The giants had a tough start, but it also wasn’t totally on their defense and it’s easy to play a deflated game after getting punched in the mouth to begin. Putting blinders on to the last game, they seem ready to eat.
I dropped JAX and am rolling with DET this week. Same thoughts as you.

Yeah, was coming in here to suggest Detroit for the exact reasons you listed. I picked them up and am starting them over NE (who I drafted but also didn't use last week).

I have the same 2 options and I’ll roll Detroit. Home game this week and next (vs ATL). For all the reasons you listed against SEA should be a great game for Aidan & crew. Tiebreaker between east coast team going west and Detroit getting some home cookin after a big W last week for me.

Across all my leagues, I have a bunch of decent-but-not-great DST options on my roster, some other decent-but-not-great options on the WW, and I can't seem to pull the trigger in any of them. The only move I've made so far is for the team I co-manage with my 8-year-old, because the stakes don't matter (swapped out Miami for Cleveland).

In the leagues I actually care about, I currently have Baltimore @ CIN, Wash @ Den and Den vs Wash. Among the teams I could pick up (not in every league) are Cleveland, Buffalo, NYG and TB. I can definitely see the case for some of those, but there are no slam dunks. Even Buffalo, which might have seemed like a great choice before the season, doesn't seem so obvious right now, plus they have upcoming games against Miami and Jax.

I took Browns in a few leagues this week and looking at their schedule it doesn’t seem too bad?

The toughest offenses as of rn are SF, JAX, maybe BAL(2x)?

Not too afraid of PIT, TEN, ARZ, IND, SEA, DEN, LAR

Then their playoff schedule(I know it’s early)

Home vs CHI
@ HOU
Home vs NYJ

Could be a hold? If week 1 wasn’t a weather fluke. I’ll be playing them this week and hoping they’re a keeper.

I am fortunate to have a pretty good head start with Cousins, Jefferson and Swift starting…. But it allowed me to be a little flexible with defense and also look ahead to next week with some of these available defenses.

Lions have Atlanta at home next week, which seemed like the best combo of this week and next week matchup.

Washington has Buffalo next week. No thanks.

Giants have San Fran next week. No thanks.

Kansas City, who I wasn’t looking at because they had Jax this week, has Chicago next week.

Seattle has Carolina next week.

I took Browns in a few leagues this week and looking at their schedule it doesn’t seem too bad?

The toughest offenses as of rn are SF, JAX, maybe BAL(2x)?

Not too afraid of PIT, TEN, ARZ, IND, SEA, DEN, LAR

Then their playoff schedule(I know it’s early)

Home vs CHI
@ HOU
Home vs NYJ

Could be a hold? If week 1 wasn’t a weather fluke. I’ll be playing them this week and hoping they’re a keeper.
Yeah I'm trying to hold CLE as well in the chance they may be one of those D's that emerge as a top option. The Monday night game @PIT will be telling. I don't think PIT is as bad as they looked against a tough SF D and PIT is dominant on Monday night. If they walk out of their and crush PIT...bingo. Then again, if they get run on (last year's weakness) and PIT wins drop city.

Currently debating NYG D (@AZ) or CLE (@PIT). Leaning NYG which means I've got to drop somebody I don't want to in order to hold CLE.

Looking to week 3:
Pats @ Jets looks juicy right now
Jags gets Houston then Atlanta both at home
Chiefs get Chi and then @ Jets

Thinking about grabbing the Chiefs but generally rolling with an "anyone playing the Jets" strategy for a little bit.

Welp, even Minshew is carving up the Texans. Guess I whiffed hard on that one. I considered switching to the Colts last minute, should have gone with them once Stroud was confirmed as the starter for Houston.

I am fortunate to have a pretty good head start with Cousins, Jefferson and Swift starting…. But it allowed me to be a little flexible with defense and also look ahead to next week with some of these available defenses.

Lions have Atlanta at home next week, which seemed like the best combo of this week and next week matchup.

Washington has Buffalo next week. No thanks.

Giants have San Fran next week. No thanks.

Kansas City, who I wasn’t looking at because they had Jax this week, has Chicago next week.

Seattle has Carolina next week.
Ouch. This one may bite me.

What we learned about the Cardinals' defense in Week 1

No offense to Cards fans, but Dennis Gardeck graded out as their best pass rusher Sunday. He's an Edge player who has never topped 210 snaps since coming into the league as a UDFA practice Squad guy out of D-II Sioux Falls. 5 true pass rushes, 2 sacks and a QB hit. As a team they ranked 20th-24th in most broad categories except Tackling - 10th best team grade.

Like I said, not sure they have the dude's to sustain the kind of production they had Week 1.

<<<<genius

also talked a few people into Detroit

Went with Denver. Wish I'd have gone with the Bucs. Fields has given up defensive TDs now in consecutive weeks, and plays KC next week. Guess I'm targeting whoever the Bears play right now for the simple fact that I no longer have any clue how to stream Team defenses anymore, and I wish my league would eliminate it. I should've just used my 4th round pick on Dallas, I guess.

Who we targeting for Week 3?

Baltimore is available in one of my leagues, and the matchup with Indy could be really good if Richardson sits.

Other possibilities:

Jax vs. Houston: Texans line is decimated and they've been giving up lots of sacks
KC vs Chicago: Bears offense seems broken so far, and they've been giving up both sacks and TDs

Jets got me the win week 1 with a dominant 19 point performance in MNF. Today they racked up a point. Not sure if they had injuries or week 1 was a fluke but Pats & Chiefs next 2 weeks don't inspire a lot of confidence that they will put up double digits.

Anyone bailing on Jets or are they a ride or die or bench and hold?

I’m bailing on everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread