What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers jump up to #3 pick in draft (3 Viewers)

There you go again. Putting words into my mouth to prop up straw men to knock down. Again and again. It's all you've got.

No, everything isn't irrelevant. But Ricky Williams & Ditka is 100% irrelevant. The Niners giving up a 4th and 5th 1st rounder is irrelevant because they didn't pay that. 

Irrelevant things are irrelevant. Obviously. 

Keep on propping up those straw man arguments & arguing with yourself though. it's a good look. 
I took you off ignore for this

You make no sense.  Your argument is incoherent .  We get it.

Not coming back though

Apologies to others for this inane back and forth.  I'm done

Last edited by a moderator:
I took you off ignore for this

You make no sense.  Your argument is incoherent .  We get it.

Not coming back though

Apologies to others for this inane back and forth.  I'm done
The only apology you owe is for repeatedly using logical fallacies to support your nonsensical arguments and misrepresenting what people say in effort to somehow "win" a debate that truly can't be decided for years. 

Or did you want to bring up Jamarcus Russell again? Would that somehow bolster your position? :rolleyes:   

Have a nice day. 

I love the Lance pick by the 49ers. Nice system, very good young WRs, elite TE, the ability to sit and learn for a season behind JG. He reportedly has good intangibles. He has the physical tools. The only downside is how much they gave up but nobody will care if he works out. I like his chances in that environment. 

I love the Lance pick by the 49ers. Nice system, very good young WRs, elite TE, the ability to sit and learn for a season behind JG. He reportedly has good intangibles. He has the physical tools. The only downside is how much they gave up but nobody will care if he works out. I like his chances in that environment. 
The bolded part exactly.  All players carry risk. The 49ers paid more for the risks they believed were manageable. 

Could it blow up in their face? Absolutely. But if it doesn’t, no one will mention what they paid to go get their guy other than as a “see - they paid to go get their guy & now they have a great QB”. 

the pick the Dolphins sold was the price that it was. Any team paying it would be under the same pressure/scrutiny to get it right. I’m glad they went with their guy and didn’t succumb to the manufactured pressure to take a “safe” pick in Mac Jones.

What’s the upside there? Everyone would still be critical of what they paid to go get Mac at 1.03, and Jones is limited by his physical tools. Maybe he’s a great fit for what NEP wants to do. I wish him luck there. 

but clearly Shanahan had other ideas. 

Here's my take -

The 9ers know they have a super bowl roster with Jimmy g.  They know they have a roster, when healthy, that's a perennial playoff contender with Jimmy G.  But Jimmy g won't win them a superbowl in his own, or make them yearly superbowl contenders like the chiefs are.

The biggest need in sports period is finding the next "Mahomes" the guy who'll make your team a championship favorite for the next ten years.  The draft question becomes how much do you want to pay to get the guy who you think does that for you?  I do think Lance was always the 9ers guy, he has the highest upside and Jimmy's contract allows them to red shirt him for a year like Mahomes, and now we get to wait and see if he becomes The Guy.

Here's my take -

The 9ers know they have a super bowl roster with Jimmy g.  They know they have a roster, when healthy, that's a perennial playoff contender with Jimmy G.  But Jimmy g won't win them a superbowl in his own, or make them yearly superbowl contenders like the chiefs are.

The biggest need in sports period is finding the next "Mahomes" the guy who'll make your team a championship favorite for the next ten years.  The draft question becomes how much do you want to pay to get the guy who you think does that for you?  I do think Lance was always the 9ers guy, he has the highest upside and Jimmy's contract allows them to red shirt him for a year like Mahomes, and now we get to wait and see if he becomes The Guy.
Excellent points. The bolded is sort of the hurried lede, and especially with regard to JimmyG.

Dude hasn’t been able to stay on the field. So this gives them that “potential next great QB” and hopefully a higher ceiling insurance policy than Beathard or Mullins, who were both deeply flawed QBs. 

Excellent points. The bolded is sort of the hurried lede, and especially with regard to JimmyG.

Dude hasn’t been able to stay on the field. So this gives them that “potential next great QB” and hopefully a higher ceiling insurance policy than Beathard or Mullins, who were both deeply flawed QBs. 
Jimmy G played roughly less than two of three and a half seasons with sf. Of those games he's had a year of peak Dalton play mixed with upside cousins play and some career backup play.  A qb of his caliber could be "the guy" (no capitals) for the 9ers if he could stay on the field with their defense and offensive scheme, but he can't.

Now here's another thing - do you want the next possible qb in next year's draft to sit and learn someone else's system in the college game or pick a guy this year to redshirt in your system if you already know you're blowing a three year window draft pick wise on a qb?

killface said:
The kid s a project.  He may very well succeed but he's a project. You don't mortgage the future for a project.
Every single one of these Qb's are projects. You do realize that's kind of the point, right? Teams* are supposed to draft QB's with high level elite traits who have the work ethic to develop themselves once they enter the league. What's so difficult to understand about this? They're betting on human beings, not commodities.

Shanahan is either going to go down as a 49er legend, or a massive fool, but I have to say that I admire the man for making such a bold move. He's putting his job on the line for this kid. That's how much he believes in him.

He's either going to get a contract extension in a few years where he can fill out the contract by himself, or he's going to be unceremoniously fired.

So I will ask all of you who keep insisting Shanahan is insane for doing this.

Are you not entertained?

Every single one of these Qb's are projects. You do realize that's kind of the point, right? Teams* are supposed to draft QB's with high level elite traits who have the work ethic to develop themselves once they enter the league. What's so difficult to understand about this? They're betting on human beings, not commodities.
Nobody is disagreeing with that

My point is the cost.  I said numerous times that if they owned the 3rd pick thenn take the risk.  The Jets aren't spending 3 first round picks on Wilson

Shanahan is either going to go down as a 49er legend, or a massive fool, but I have to say that I admire the man for making such a bold move. He's putting his job on the line for this kid. That's how much he believes in him.

He's either going to get a contract extension in a few years where he can fill out the contract by himself, or he's going to be unceremoniously fired.

So I will ask all of you who keep insisting Shanahan is insane for doing this.

Are you not entertained?
I agree with you 100%.  Genius or fool at this point.

It is entertaining though for sure

As a 49ers fan I'm not super comfortable with the risk but obviously hoping he is right.  

Users who are viewing this thread