What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Comp Picks Awarded - Usual Suspects Hoard the Awards (1 Viewer)

LawFitz

Footballguy

The San Francisco 49ers and Los Angeles Rams earned the most compensatory picks with five additional selections each. The 49ers' highest selection [3rd round] will be the No. 99 pick while the Rams' highest will be the No. 98 pick. With the additional picks, the 49ers and Rams will each have 16 picks in this year's draft.

Philly received four picks, including a 3rd rounder. Baltimore only received one comp pick this time. Rams appear to have overtaken them as comp-pick masters.

I still don't understand why there are comp picks. There's a salary cap to force teams with top players/rosters to have to throw some back into the pool for the lesser teams - parity. Yet, the teams that have to do that are given draft capital.

Completely contradictory, IMO.
True. It’s basically compensation for developing a player which is now helping another team.

I still don't understand why there are comp picks. There's a salary cap to force teams with top players/rosters to have to throw some back into the pool for the lesser teams - parity. Yet, the teams that have to do that are given draft capital.

Yeah I have never understood the purpose.

I actually think the system is great as it is set up, though I am not sure if the NFL intended it this way. Because of the formula used to determine comp picks, I think it encourages fiscal responsibility.
  • The formula to determine comp picks has offsets. If a team loses an eligible free agent, and signs an eligible free agent of similar value, they might not receive a pick. In general, teams who don't sign expensive free agents, or sign a lot of FA, don't generally get many comp picks.
  • Players under contract who are cut before the end of their deals do NOT count towards a comp pick. Broncos cut Justin Simmons for cap space, and cannot receive a comp pick when he signs, as an example
Using these two facts, teams that would receive the most picks are most likely to have a healthy salary cap, at the very least.
  • If you gaining comp picks, yes, you may be losing good young talent that you developed, but it usually means you aren't building your own team through free agency, which I think most agree is much riskier than draft well and re-sign. It can ALSO mean that your team signed guys to one year prove it deals, who then get overpaid in free agency. And think about how many disappointing free agents there are. If they come from YOUR team, maybe you were better off not paying them. And if you got a comp pick for a vet who you would have paid too much for, that's a WIN--in general.
  • The "cut players don't count towards the comp pick formula" fact is one people sleep on. Cutting players to get out of contracts is bad, and leaves behind dead cap space. But they ALSO get no relief of a comp pick when that player signs elsewhere. Broncos won't get a pick for Simmons, why? Because they needed the cap space. Why? Because they made a mistake with Russell Wilson's deal, and probably a few others. They are making football decisions they would never make, because of bad fiscal decisions. And the brutal irony there is, by cutting a good player because you have no cap space, you could really use more mid round picks. You need more cheap talent.
This isn't even only for big deals. The Raiders a few years ago were signing players to two year deals, and cutting them after a year. They would leave behind a small cap charge, but those players went and got new deals, Raiders received no picks.

Best way to get a good amount of comp picks is to have as many players finishing their deals as possible, and not invest too heavily in free agency. Those are two things I always want my team doing.

Users who are viewing this thread